An Unexpected Distraction Pt. 07

Story Info
Two young lovers face unbearable tragedy.
4.8k words
4.79
4.5k
6

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 04/15/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers

An Unexpected Distraction

A.J. Roye

Copyright 2019 All rights reserved

Part 7

Chapter 264

"Theresa! What has happened?"

"I don't know, Steven. The doctor has come and gone and he hasn't told me anything," she cried. "I'm scared now, Steven. It started with headaches. Momma said I had a seizure. I can't remember anything from today or yesterday."

Theresa was in the emergency room. Steven held her in his arms the best he could while she was in the bed. Mrs. Quinn was with Theresa, too.

"We're going to find out, Theresa. I'm here for you," Steven affirmed.

"Good morning, Ms. Quinn. I'm Dr. Ruiz. I understand from your mother you had a seizure this morning. Can you tell me about yourself these past few days?"

"Yes, Ma'am. I've been having headaches the last two weeks. Some of them have been very painful," she said.

"Have you thrown up? Vomited? In the past few days?" the doctor asked.

"Momma said I threw up this morning, but, I don't remember. I don't remember anything for the last 2 or 3 days," Theresa said, and began to sob.

"Sweetie. We're going to find out. OK? Sir, are you Ms. Quinn's husband?"

"No... My name is Steven Bonds. Theresa and I are engaged to be married," Steven said.

"He can be with me. I want him with me. Please!" Theresa cried.

"Yes... He can be with you. I have ordered an MRI for your head. I'm also going to give you medicine to calm your nausea. Then, we will have a talk. OK?"

Chapter 265

"Steven... You won't leave me, will you?"

"Never," he affirmed.

"Will you hold my hand while I'm here?"

"Always. Forever," he braved.

"Ms. Quinn. My name is Marsha. I'm the technician for your MRI. I need for you to be very, very still while we perform the scan for your head. It may feel like you are in a tiny closet, so I encourage you to close your eyes so you won't be scared. Will you do that for me, Sweetie? Mr. Bonds, I need for you to remove all metallic items and place them inside this basket. I'll return them to you after the scan."

Chapter 266

"Good afternoon, Ms. Quinn. My name is Dr. Brandt. I'm a neurosurgeon. I understand you've had headaches the past two weeks, you threw up this morning before a seizure, and you can't recall anything the past 2 or 3 days."

"Yes, Sir," Theresa replied with reservation.

"Very good. Ms. Quinn here are the results of your MRI. I see a growth inside your brain. It is here and here on these two images. This is called the left frontal lobe. I don't have details on the growth. I won't be able to tell you anything more until I perform surgery," Dr. Brandt said.

Steven spoke up. "I see your face. You've seen this before."

"Yes... However, I don't want to give you information which may not be confirmed with the surgery," Dr. Brandt offered. "Ms. Quinn, I want to perform surgery to determine the type of growth. It is risky. There may be the possibility of temporary or permanent neurological injury. Death is possible. However, without the surgery, I will not be able to determine the next course of action to help you, and, I cannot predict what the growth will do next."

"Steven! I'm scared," she cried.

"I know, Theresa! I know! I will be here for you!"

Chapter 267

"Theresa is doing very well. She is now in the ICU and she is in the best of care. Mr. Bonds... Mr. and Mrs. Quinn. Let's go to this conference room and have a talk."

With those words, Steven's heart sank.

When everyone had been seated, Dr. Brandt began, "I asked for a rush on the pathology report and I have it here in my hand. Theresa has a glioblastoma. I was not able to remove all of the tumor because some very important arteries were involved. I estimate I removed about 75%." He paused, then continued, "This type of tumor is very aggressive and difficult to control."

Mrs. Quinn gasped and covered her mouth. Tears began streaming down her cheeks.

Steven couldn't believe his ears. He was in shock.

"There are therapies we can offer. Radiation and chemotherapies." Dr. Brandt then paused. "There is no cure for glioblastoma. The best we can hope for is 9-15 months with radiation and chemotherapy. No further treatment, means 3 months, at best."

Steven stood. Then he couldn't move. All he could think of is being with Theresa. Her in his arms.

"I need to be with Theresa," he said, sternly.

Dr. Brandt stood and said, "Steven... May I call you Steven?"

Steven nodded.

"Of course. As soon as she has settled in the ICU, the nurse taking care of her will come to get each of you."

Then, he addressed Mr. Quinn. Mrs. Quinn was bawling uncontrollably in Mr. Quinn's arms.

"The three of you need to speak with Theresa. To discuss her affairs. Wills and power of attorney need to be finalized. The hospital offers free legal counseling for cases such as Theresa's. I will call them, and when Theresa recovers from the surgery, an attorney will visit her and you. I'm calling a counselor. For Theresa and you. They will offer suggestions for you to cope with this news."

Chapter 268

"Good Morning. Wow... What a beautiful family you have gathered around you."

Theresa had been told of her condition and was recovering in a regular room. She had spoken to a counselor and was trying her best to cope with her future. A tube was protruding from her head, just above the hairline, to control the pressure inside her skull. She had a shaved area on her head, with a surgical scar prominently displayed.

"Yes... They are a beautiful family," Theresa said with a smile.

"Ms. Quinn, my name is Joanna Wilks. I work for the hospital and I am an attorney. May I meet your family, please?"

As Ms. Wilks met each person, she said their name, and smiled.

"And who is this young man next to you holding her hand?" she asked.

"This is my fiancé, Steven," Theresa replied.

"It is a special pleasure to meet you, Steven. The two of you are a beautiful couple. I love your ring young lady. May I see it?" Ms. Wilks asked.

As Ms. Wilks rose from viewing Theresa's engagement ring she spoke to Theresa, yet, she was speaking to them all.

"Theresa, I am here to discuss your legal rights and choices. My legal services are part of your stay here at the hospital, and there is no charge. However, it would be better if you and I, along with one or two members of your family, to discuss your legal needs. It would help speed things along. I don't expect to need more than 30 minutes, and, then everyone may return to enjoy your company. Do you have someone you would like to be present when I speak with you?"

Chapter 269

"Yes, I do. Steven and Katie."

After everyone left the room, Steven questioned Theresa's choices.

"You don't want your father or Michael here?" he asked.

"No, I want you. I need you here with me. I don't want to do this without you," she sobbed.

Steven leaned over the bed and kissed his Beautiful Distraction. A tear tried to appear.

"OK... Let's begin. Theresa, I need your full name," Ms. Wilks said.

"Theresa Marie Quinn."

Ms. Wilks then went on to explain the documents Theresa would need going forward. She explained the Medical Power of Attorney, General Power of Attorney, Directive to the Physician, Do Not Resuscitate form, and the Last Will and Testament.

Steven was familiar with all of the documents and their purpose. He studied them in a business law class in college.

"I have each of the documents with me, and each only requires me writing in your name, and the person you want to be named in each document. Are you ready?" Ms. Wilks asked.

"Yes, I know who I want," Theresa replied, as she smiled to Steven.

"Medical Power of Attorney."

"Steven... Katie will be the alternate, if Steven is not available."

"General Power of Attorney."

"Steven."

"Last Will and Testament."

"Steven and Katie. Katie, I want you to have everything I own. You decide what you want to do with it. Steven, all of my money and life insurance is yours. I need for you to close out all of my business affairs and you will be the executor. I need for you to call the life insurance agent to get a change of beneficiary form so I can sign it. And the both of you will make the decision for my funeral and burial. I need this from each of you," she sobbed.

Katie sobbed uncontrollably while resting her head on Theresa's shoulder.

Steven wiped tears from his eyes while holding Theresa's hand.

Ms. Wilks sobbed, too.

"What a beautiful sight."

Chapter 270

"Good morning, Theresa."

"Good morning, Dr. Mitchell," Theresa replied.

Theresa was in the oncology office and was there for a follow up to her radiation and chemotherapy. Steven and Katie were with her.

Theresa was a weak mess from her surgery, radiation and chemotherapy. She was losing her hair, and she had lost weight from her previous petite frame. Her face was sunken beneath her cheeks and eyes. She had trouble walking and standing and used a walker for assistance.

But, she was always smiling.

Dr. Mitchell sat down next to Theresa and smiled. Then smiled to Steven and Katie.

"Theresa, I don't have good news for you today," Dr. Mitchell began. "It has been a month, and the radiation and chemotherapy do not appear to be slowing the growth of the tumor. I can offer to continue with these therapies if you like, however, I don't think they will be effective. I was hopeful I could see some progress in your last MRI, but, the tumor is larger, not smaller."

Steven spoke up. "Are you suggesting Theresa withdraw from treatment? To stop?"

"Yes, I am suggesting that very thing. Theresa, I have consulted with my partners and they agree with my conclusions. I wish I could help you. You are such a beautiful woman," she sighed.

Theresa turned to face Steven and smiled. But, a tear began to fall across her cheek.

She then turned to Dr. Mitchell, nodded, and mouthed the words without sound...

"Thank you."

Katie began sobbing and held her hands over her mouth.

Steven rose and knelt in front of Theresa. He extended his arms and embraced her.

"I love you, my Beautiful Distraction."

Chapter 271

"Steven... You need to come home, quickly. It's Theresa."

"I'm leaving now," Steven replied.

Steven rose from his desk, placing the phone in his pocket from the call he received from Michael. He stopped at Charles office and told him he was leaving for the day. Charles knew why.

As Steven drove to the Quinn family home, he reflected on his life with Theresa. Smiles, many, many happy memories and sadness appeared on his face during the drive.

The tumor Theresa had in her brain was vicious and merciless.

Nearly 3 months after her surgery, she was bedridden in her parent's home. Wracked with multiple seizures every day. The tube to keep the pressure from building in her skull was still present. She had to be fed through a stomach tube... her ability to swallow, stolen from her. Her speech was slurred and fractured. Her ability to focus on an object, taken from her.

As Steven ascended the steps on the front porch, Michael met him, and the Quinn family followed him out the door. Katie reached for his hand and held him, while she sobbed.

"I think she is going to leave us today. Her breathing is shallow and labored," Michael choked.

Steven greeted everyone with a hug.

When Steven entered the room, Theresa's mother was by her side... Weeping, while holding her daughter's hand. She rose to greet him and embraced him with a motherly hug. Then... She left the room.

Steven took off his shoes, and lay on the bed next to Theresa. He held her. Caressing her hair to calm his emotions.

"Steven? Is that you?"

Steven leapt from the bed in disbelief. The first words she had spoken in over three weeks that made any sense. Her words were in the same voice he had heard the first day they met. The voice which was so pleasing to his ears. It sent shivers down his spine.

"Hold me."

Steven crawled into bed and held her.

"I have to leave."

Steven's sobs were overpowering him.

"An Angel is with me now. She says I have to leave."

Theresa struggled to speak, but, her words were angelic.

"I want to go. Her touch is comforting."

Steven was out of control. And, then. An overwhelming feeling raced through his body from his shoulder. Goosebumps. Shivers.

"She has promised I can be your guardian. She is touching you. Can you feel her?"

Steven held Theresa ever closer in an attempt to keep her from leaving him.

"Theresa, I love you."

"She wants you to look for me. She says look, and you will know."

Steven watched helplessly as she struggled to breathe.

Each breath, becoming weaker.

And, then...

Chapter 272

"Hi, Jenny. Thank you for being here. It means a lot to me."

"Steven, I needed to be here. I woke up this morning, and... well, I needed to be here," Jenny replied.

Steven smiled his appreciation.

Jenny was trying to read Steven's emotions. Why, she didn't know. She was struggling with her own emotions since waking up this morning. An irresistible urge called her to attend Theresa's funeral. She called some colleagues to come with her, including Charles and Mr. Kyle. Tiffany, too.

While struggling with her emotions, Jenny noticed Steven, standing just a step away, glaring into the distance. An odd emotion on his face.

Confusion? Interest?

He tilted his head and appeared to focus more in the distance. She turned her gaze into the same direction. She only saw a line of trees which bordered the cemetery. She strained to see something that Steven may be seeing.

Just trees.

Michael came up to Steven and asked something. Steven nodded his head and said something in return. Steven turned to Jenny and smiled a few moments. She returned his smile. Then, he turned and began walking slowly along the narrow road to the entrance of the cemetery.

Jenny watched as Steven walked away, admiring how handsome he is. She noticed Steven would occasionally glance toward the trees on his left, and smile. She watched him walk for about 30 yards.

"Jenny? Are you ready to go?" Tiffany asked.

"Yes... In a few minutes, I will be ready. Will you pick me up at the cemetery gate, please?"

"Of course."

Chapter 273

"Baby... Come here. Your mother needs a hug."

Steven embraced his mother in a firm hug. The same hug he received his whole life. When they broke their embrace, they each wiped a tear from each other's cheek.

"Thank you, Mom for being here. It means a lot to me. Thank you, Dad," Steven said.

As Steven held his father in his arms, he thought what a beautiful day for a November afternoon. It was cool, but, not cold. The wind was gentle. Not a cloud in the sky.

As Steven broke his embrace with his father, Katie stepped into his arms sobbing uncontrollably. "I don't know what I'm going to do," she quivered through her words. "It's like my heart has been ripped from me."

Steven had no words of comfort for her. Just a firm and loving embrace.

When they finished with their sobbing, Katie pushed away and Steven embraced all of the members of Theresa's family.

Then...

Jenny stepped up to greet him.

"The service was beautiful, Steven," she said.

"Hi, Jenny. Thank you for being here. It means a lot to me," he replied.

"Steven, I needed to be here. I woke up this morning, and... well, I needed to be here," Jenny replied.

As he smiled his appreciation, something caught his attention in the corner of his eye. He turned to see what it was. A figure. A woman. Her hair blowing in the mild breeze. Standing amongst the trees, which the lined the border of the cemetery. About 40 yards away. He strained to see the details of the figure, but, failed.

"Are you OK, Steven?" Michael asked.

Steven nodded, and said, "Pick me up at the end of the road. Near the entrance, please."

He turned to Jenny and smiled. She returned his smile.

Steven turned and began to walk along the road to the cemetery entrance. As he walked, he looked to his left and saw the figure again. Keeping pace with his walk. She was weaving in and out of the trees as she walked in the same direction. The shadows of the trees, hiding her details. As Steven walked toward the entrance, the road drew closer to the trees where the figure was walking with him. When Steven was about 10 yards away from the entrance, he got a better look at the figure. About 15 yards away.

The woman had long straight raven black hair, pulled behind her ears. Her shirt was charcoal gray and fell just below her belly button, exposing her tummy. Her blue jeans were a low-rise cut. So low, he thought, he might see something he shouldn't. And, she wore black cloth high top basketball shoes.

Steven smiled as he stopped. But, he was frustrated. The woman's facial features were obscured. Like an out of focus photograph. He could see her eyes. But, no detail. He could see her nose, mouth, lips, ears. But, no detail. Even her fingers were out of focus.

When he stopped, the figure stopped, and faced him. She smiled.

Steven felt overjoyed with happiness. "She is still distracting me," he thought. His emotions overwhelmed him. He began to sob with joy. He gazed upon her for what seemed like hours, but, was only a minute.

Then... The figure gestured as though looking past Steven and over his shoulder. He furled his brow, continuing to look at the figure. The figure leaned more to encourage Steven to look behind him. But, he couldn't take his eyes from her. The figure then pointed a finger over his shoulder and threw her arm and pointer three times.

Steven smiled and began to chuckle beneath his sobs. He had seen this before, he thought. Theresa had done the same gesture on the day he met her at Big Mike's.

He turned to look over his shoulder.

There was Jenny.

Jenny had never looked so beautiful. Her strawberry blonde hair glowed with an aura as the sunlight kissed it.

Steven wiped the tears from his face and tried to smile. He turned slightly in a failed attempt to hide his emotions from Jenny.

"Are you OK, Steven?" she asked.

From beneath his joy and sobs, he replied, "Yes, I'm very OK. I was just thinking of Theresa and how happy we were."

"Do you want me to leave?" she offered.

"No! It's OK. Please, stay," he said.

He turned to face the figure, but, she was gone. He turned his head in each direction, looking up and down the tree line. She wasn't there.

For a moment, Steven felt sadness returning. But, he felt a hand take his own. It was a comforting touch. Warm. Gentle. Feminine.

He looked to his left and saw Jenny smiling, looking for acceptance to her touch. He squeezed her hand gently, to show his appreciation. Her freckles highlighting her beauty.

For a few moments, they gazed into each other's' eyes without words. Then...

Two cars slowly pulled up alongside of them. It was Michael and Tiffany.

Steven turned to Jenny and said, "Thank you again, Jenny. I'll see you at work on Monday, OK?"

"Of course."

Chapter 274

"Jenny, I really need help on the electrical contractors. I can't oversee 40 floors of electricians pulling conductor, installing junction boxes, making sure the breaker panels meet code, and more."

Jenny was sitting at her desk with a cup of coffee in her hand. After 15 minutes, she still had not taken a sip from her cup. As soon as she sat down after arriving to work, the problems started rolling in from engineers and foremen on the Striker Building.

"Josh... What do you want to do?" she asked.

"I would like to hire two journeyman electricians from another firm to oversee the work. To make sure the wrong conductor and other equipment doesn't sneak in like it did on the 7th floor. Along with the installation meeting code," he replied.

"OK, I'm writing it down. See me writing it down! I will talk to McCutchen at our meeting this morning. I can't promise two journeymen, but, I will fight for it. OK?" she snapped.

ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers
12