An Unexpected Romance Ch. 023-037

Story Info
Retired baseball player meets young woman... Romance?
5k words
4.71
11.8k
9

Part 2 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Copyright 2020

Chapter 23

While Angela was writing up the quote on her horse, Maria was spraying repellant on the legs of the horses and on the men. James and David rode up to George and began talking in a quiet tone.

"How long has she been doing this?" David asked.

"Since she was sixteen. She's an entrepreneur," George chuckled. "And, she's good. She has references, but, you won't need them. When you come back in a month, every tick will have fled to Canada for a holiday! Maria is good, too. They've been working together for a year now."

"Angela mentioned her cattle having bloat," James said.

"Yeah, Angela owns about 125 head on my place. She took some of her stock show money and bought 20 breeder cattle at fourteen. She's sold calves, breeder and feeder cattle ever since. I'm telling ya. She's one helluva entrepreneur. And, she knows cattle. As good as any man in the county," George bragged.

David and James turned to each other in disbelief. George began laughing too loud. "What's wrong, gentleman? A petite girly girl can't know about cattle, and work them as good as you? You can blame me. I let her ride with me since she was three. She's learned by watching me."

James turned his horse, Youngster, and walked him up to Angela. "You finished with that quote?" he barked, with a smile.

"One more minute," she replied, without looking up.

James began riding his horse around Angela and her horse. Slow circles.

"I'm waiting."

Angela looked up and grinned. "Stop taunting me!"

Maria walked up to Youngster and James and barked, "Yeah! Stop it. We're giving you a good deal! We can always tack on a nuisance fee!"

James burst out laughing so hard he nearly fell from Youngster.

Angela finished her quotes, rode over to David and handed him two quotes. One for spraying, and the other for dipping the herd for ticks.

After David finished reviewing the quotes, he barked, "James, you're paying this nuisance fee she added!"

After everyone laughed, David said, "You're hired. Start tomorrow?"

"Yes, Sir. Maria and I will spray the pasture tomorrow," Angela began. "I quoted the dip tank service with you and your hands helping us. Do you want to help us?"

"No. James is going to help you to pay off this nuisance fee!"

After everyone stopped laughing, David continued, "Michael, James and I will help you. Tell us when?"

Chapter 24

"Now... About that bloated steer."

"Yes, Sir. Maria and I can get it done in 40 minutes," Angela affirmed.

"Get it done," David barked.

Angela and Maria turned their horses to retrieve the bloated steer. As they rode off in a trot, James yelled, "You've got 30 minutes!"

Angela didn't look back. She just raised her hand to let him know she heard him.

"I'M TIMING YOU!" he barked again.

Within ten minutes Maria was leading a bawling and bloated steer with a rope back to the squeeze chute. The men helped guide the steer into the chute and Angela dismounted her horse to squeeze the steer in place. Within seconds, she had a scalpel and a stomach tube out of her pack. She sliced the side of the steer about 2 inches and punched the stomach tube into the incision. Gaseous air began hissing from the tube. Angela screwed the tube in place and locked the release. Within a few minutes, the steer stopped bawling from the painful pressure.

"I'll be back in three days to remove the tube," she yelped. "Maria, will take the steer back to the pasture?"

Amazing, James thought. She did that lickety split.

After releasing the steer from the chute, Angela walked up to James and declared, "You timed me. What do you have?"

James didn't think she was serious. He looked at his watch.

"24 minutes."

Angela grinned a "now what" grin and expected a reply, with her arms crossed across her chest.

James was speechless.

"Don't time her again," George suggested, as he passed James to mount his horse. "She'll make you look like you do right now. Embarrassed."

Chapter 25

"David says you made an ass of yourself today. With Angela, no less. Did you do that often in Kansas City?" Cathy taunted.

Grandpa Young, David, Michael, Emily, Katie, and Little James burst out laughing. They were all gathered around the supper table and they all heard the story about James.

James didn't say a word, for fear of embarrassing himself further.

"I hope she got a good look at you today. She may be calling all of her friends telling them what you did. Facebook maybe," Cathy mused.

James shook his head and everyone giggled.

David spoke up after laughing, "I think James knows he shouldn't have said the things he said. Let's all let it go. James, you're still paying that nuisance fee, though."

Chapter 26

James stood back as Michael and Maria were running cattle through the chute to the dip tank. Angela was on the fence railing by the tank, guiding the cattle, one by one, through the tank. David was guiding the cattle from the tank into a temporary holding corral. James' job was to release cattle, one at time, from the other holding corral, into the chute leading to the tank. Angela had given everyone specific instructions for their jobs.

While there was a break, because of a fussy steer who didn't want to get wet, James stared at Angela on the fence railing. She is so sexy in those waist high jeans and fitted shirt, he thought. And her leadership is so commanding. She knows what she wants.

Hours passed as over 200 head of cattle were treated and lead back to their pasture.

After all of the temporary fencing, tanks and chutes were loaded onto trucks, James walked over to his pickup and got a cold bottle of water from an ice chest. He tossed bottles to everyone to cool off from a long day of hard work.

She still looks great, James thought. Angela was wearing dark rimmed sunglasses to protect her eyes from the reflection of the treatment water in the tank. And, she was wearing a Kansas City Royals baseball hat. Her long black hair pulled through the adjustable slot in the back into a pony tail. The pony tail was doubled back onto itself, and held in place with three elastic pony tail ties, to keep her pony tail from falling into the treatment tank and getting wet.

"James, I noticed your smart mouth was idle today," David mused quietly, so others wouldn't hear.

"The day isn't over," he replied, with a chuckle. "I feel like a sled dog in Arizona. Angela knows how to work us all."

"Would you gentleman join Angela and me at the steak house for supper? We're buying," Maria chirped.

"Hell, yeah!" barked Michael.

Chapter 27

Everyone had finished their meal at the steak house in Thermopylae and James was leaning back in his chair, enjoying a cold iced tea.

Angela was making a proposal to David for potential future work on the pastures the brothers owned. David was listening with interest. James thought Maria might be flirting with Michael. And, Michael may be flirting in return.

"So, what do you think, Mr. Young?" Angela asked.

"I'm going to think about it. Put some numbers in a spreadsheet. You're a good sales woman, Angela. And, the steak helps. Do you have a business card I can have?" David asked.

Angela and Maria both produced cards and handed them to both David and James. Maria gave one to Michael, also. James received a wink when Angela handed him her card.

"Angela, I know this is a business meal, but, I'm leaving the tip. In return for the great service we received in the pasture today," James offered.

"Thank you, James. That's nice of you," Angela smiled.

In front of the steak house, Angela and Maria were shaking hands with their new customers. James received a flirty smile when Angela took his hand. As the girls left to return to their truck, James thought he saw Maria wink at Michael, and, Michael grinned in return.

He turned to watch Angela walk away. She is sexy in those jeans, he thought.

Angela's hips were swaying the feminine sway and her buns were wiggling inside her jeans. Her shoulders were narrow and feminine. Her long, black and naturally wavy ponytail swaying across her back from her baseball cap.

"Mmm," he thought.

"I hope you don't freeze while staring at her," David mused. "Let's go."

Chapter 28

"George, I want you to see this. What I found on the internet."

George was relaxing in the living room after branding calves all day. Angela was studying in her room.

Cynthia sat next to George and read summaries of information she found on the internet. About James Young.

"George, this article I found from a business journal says James is the third wealthiest sports figure in the United States. His estimated net worth is $473 million. And, he earned it not by playing baseball, but, by investing his salary and endorsements. It says here, his good friend, business partner, and attorney, Nathaniel Turner, has guided his business ventures and has made himself wealthy as well. James and Turner own pizza franchises, a beer distributor in Omaha, two car dealerships in Overland Park and Lees Summit, real estate in Kansas City, and on and on and on. It also says, James lived an austere life while in Kansas City. Instead of buying a multimillion dollar home and expensive cars, he lived in the old part of Kansas City near the Kansas state line where blue collar families live. He's quoted as saying he wanted to be close to the fans of the Royals and the Chiefs. He was known to frequent a small neighborhood grocery store, and often hosted neighborhood cookouts at his home. His house is only worth $273,000.00. And he drove an old Chevy Silverado for the 13 years he lived there. His most lavish purchase was buying a new Honda Pilot every year from his dealership in Lees Summit. He is still driving that truck, George. Here's a picture of it."

Cynthia handed the print outs she made to her husband.

Cynthia continued, "It also says his favorite charity is the children's hospital. His estimated donations exceed $21 million dollars over the past 13 years. He hosts one of their popular fund raisers; a golf tournament. And, there is something else. He's divorced."

George looked up from the papers and turned to her with concern.

"Her name is Susan, and the marriage was over within a few months. He was 23 years old. Public records show she settled for a little over $5 million and that Mr. Turner represented James. He hasn't married again, nor, has he had any serious relationships since."

"Has Angela seen this?" he asked.

"No. And, she isn't going to, either. She'll have to find out on her own. Or, James will tell her," Cynthia replied. "I'm concerned, George. About Angela. After she finishes school, she's free to see James. I'm afraid others will think she's a gold digger. And, she won't know how to handle the meanest of comments."

George didn't say anything, but, nodded his same concern. After a few moments, George asked, "Do you want me to talk to James? Express our concerns, in light of this information? Particularly the divorce?"

Cynthia replied, "I'm not certain anything can be done about his wealth and Angela being accused of gold digging. I am concerned about the divorce. I need to know if it was Susan, James, or both, that caused it to fail in such a short time. Would it be inappropriate if we confronted him about it?"

"N o... It wouldn't be inappropriate," George affirmed, sternly. "We're talking about our only daughter. This isn't about her two older brothers... it's our daughter."

Chapter 29

"Your phone rang while you were in the shower. I heard it roll over to voicemail," Michael reported.

"Thanks, Michael," James replied.

James picked up his phone and saw the caller ID. It was Cynthia Lasko. Retrieving the message, he smiled and nodded his head.

"What is it?" Cathy asked, as she watched James set is phone down on the counter.

"The Lasko family has invited me, and your family, to supper on Saturday night. Dad is invited, too. It's a graduation party for Angela. Her brothers are home from college and some of her friends will be there. Cynthia wants me to make sure Michael comes, because, Maria will be there," he replied, as he grinned at Michael.

Michael perked up. "I can go."

Cathy chuckled. "Great. What time?"

Chapter 30

James was standing outside the main gathering, holding a glass of iced tea, and enjoying Angela opening her graduation gifts. They had just finished supper. Fajitas, with all the fixings. They were good, he thought. Celebration cake and ice cream, too.

Cathy stepped up beside him and said, "Angela is pretty tonight. She's enjoying the attention, too."

"Yes, she is pretty. And, I can read you like a book, Cathy. What is it?" he groaned. He snarled his lip.

"Her graduation is next weekend."

"And?" he growled.

"Nothing. Nothing at all," she replied.

James turned to his sister in law and glared.

"I'm going to take it very, very slow. Besides, I'm not holding my breath that anything will last. I've already shown her I'm a jerk."

"Oh, we know you're a jerk," she laughed. "What she doesn't know is you have a soft heart. For those you don't even know. Particularly the children at the hospital in Kansas City. When she sees you are that kind of man, in your everyday life, she may have a hard time letting go of you. Are you prepared to have a woman in your life who is half your age?"

James turned to his sister in law and tilted his head in thought. She just complimented him for the person he went out of his way to become, because, he was lonely in Kansas City. And, she was right. Angela is young. Very young. But mature in her emotions and life.

"I don't know. I know this. Angela is the first person I've had serious feelings for in a very long time. Yes, I have mixed emotions about her, and, I have told her so. Who knows, maybe I'll screw it up like I did with..."

He almost said her name, but stopped.

Cathy knew why.

She stepped in front of him and sternly replied, "Susan wasn't your fault. It was her. She had no self-control and there wasn't anything you could do about it. Stop blaming yourself. Angela is nowhere near what Susan is. If there was ever a girl on this planet for you, it's Angela. Yes, the age difference is a big deal for me. But, Angela will adore you. That's something Susan never did... ever. And, I know you will adore Angela more than she will ever give you."

Cathy continued, "I love you, James. Stop beating yourself up over Susan. Angela is here for you... now. Explore the opportunity you've never been given before today."

Chapter 31

"You think you're pretty cute, don't you, James. Giving me a stopwatch," Angela giggled. "Do you see this, Daddy? He's making fun of me again."

James smiled and shrugged his shoulders... watching Angela open her gifts from across the room.

Many of the younger guests didn't understand Angela's comment.

"Why is he making fun of you?" Jennifer chirped.

Angela laughed through her reply. "It's what James said to me while we were on his pasture. I'll explain later." She paused, and continued.

"Thank you everyone for the wonderful gifts," Angela chirped.

"Ahhh," the teenage girls sighed.

Angela stepped up close to James; wiggled the stopwatch in his face, and whispered, "You'll pay for this." She giggled and left to join her friends in the backyard.

James was about to take a sip of iced tea and Cynthia appeared from the kitchen. George was right behind her.

"Do you have a few minutes? I would like to ask you some things. Things a parent would want to know," Cynthia said. "Can we go out front to discuss it?"

'Of course," James replied. He turned to leave the house, letting Cynthia and George lead the way. Cynthia stopped a good distance from the house to avoid being overheard.

"I couldn't help myself, James," she began. "The famous Texas baseball player, and future hall of famer, has come home as a living legend in our own backyard. There is quite a bit of information about you on the internet. Nearly all of it good. Very good. It shows what kind of man you are. Something I expected from you, considering where you came from. It says you packed your upbringing with you when you left Texas for Kansas City, and unpacked it when you settled in. But, there was also something there I didn't expect, or knew. And, it is why I asked you to come out front to talk."

Cynthia paused and looked to George. He nodded.

James saw the concern on their faces, and encouraged them by saying, "Whatever it is, I will answer your questions truthfully and completely. No hard feelings, I promise. I have a feeling I already know why I'm here. It's my divorce, isn't it?"

Cynthia nodded... gently... with concern on her face.

Chapter 32

James saw Angela approaching from the house, stepped aside and waved for her to stop. George turned and took Angela back to the house and soon returned.

"I asked her not to interrupt and to rejoin her friends. She's confused, and I will explain to her later," George offered.

James nodded and then began.

"Her name is Susan and we were married 4 months. The failed marriage is my fault, because, family, friends, and Mr. Turner all but begged me not to marry her. But, I wouldn't listen. I was a cocky, 23 year old, highly paid, smart ass who couldn't be told what to do or not to do." James paused to gather his thoughts. "In hindsight, I should have never married her. She was bad. Real bad. I fell into her lusts and she provided them to me. The real problem was two things. Things I already knew before I married her and I felt she would give them up after the marriage. She drank too much and she liked men."

James dipped his eyes to the ground for a moment and then looked each of them in the eye.

"I found her in our bedroom with another man. A man I didn't know." Another pause. "I found out real quick I made a $5.2 million mistake, all because of my arrogance against my family, friends, and business partner. I swore after the papers were signed, I would never betray their trust again. And, I have kept that promise."

He paused again. "You may think poorly of me when I tell you I have kept tabs on Susan since the divorce. We haven't seen each other in over 10 years, but, I have occasionally, through Mr. Turner, my business partner and attorney, found where she has been. You see, despite my pleas to hire her a financial counselor to help her with her sudden wealth, she refused. She blew through her settlement in less than 18 months on alcohol, drugs, and men. Bad men. She has been destitute ever since. I have not checked on her whereabouts in 6 months. She was last seen in St. Louis living with a local drug dealer. I see in your faces why I would bother to keep up with her. It's because her family has rejected her totally. They'll have nothing to do with her. If something were to happen to her, I want to know... Just because. Mr. Turner keeps me informed when he feels I need to know. I trust him."

"James, I..."

James held a hand up and shook his head to interrupt Cynthia.

"I have never been with a woman, intimately, since Susan. I have dated a few women the last 10 years, but, they were friendly dates. Nothing ever became serious, although, I think one or two wished it had," he mused. "I learned a hard and painful lesson. I find it curious Cathy brought this very subject up earlier this evening. She said the divorce was not my fault, that the blame lay entirely on Susan because of her lack of self-control. I disagree for the reasons I explained earlier."

James paused a few moments and said, "OK, now. I'll answer any questions you have for me."

Cynthia turned to George for guidance. He shook his head in reply.

Cynthia turned and hugged James. "Thank you," she whispered.

Chapter 33

"Your Daddy and I had concerns when we found out and we asked James to explain. We wanted to know before you found out."

12