An Unexpected Romance Ch. 141-153

Story Info
Michael matures as a player + Twins!!!
4.5k words
4.79
6.1k
3
0

Part 12 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers

Copyright 2020

Chapter 141

"Really? Starting? On Friday?"

"Yes," Cathy replied, on the other end of the phone. "Michael would like for you to be there. He understands if you can't because of the twins. He's hopeful."

"Amazing," James offered. "Tell Michael I'll call him. I'll tell him myself. Thanks, Cathy. Wow... Starting."

James hung up his call from Cathy and just looked at the phone in his hand. "Amazing," he mumbled.

"I couldn't help overhearing. Michael is starting?" Angela yelped, as she waddled into the kitchen.

"Yeah... The home opener on Friday against New Mexico. Ortiz must've really put speed on his fastball," he replied, with surprise in his tone. He sat down at the kitchen table to consider the great news. "Cathy says he wants me there."

"Go," she insisted, as she sat down next to him.

"But you and the twins. They're due any day now," he sighed.

"I'll tell them to wait until their Daddy gets back. Go!" she giggled.

"I'm serious, Angela. And, stop looking at me with those eyes," he demanded.

"Michael will only have ONE FIRST opening day start at Texas Tech," Angela asserted. "Go. I insist. I'll stay at Mama and Daddy's house while you're gone. They're closer to the hospital. Deal?"

James ran his fingers and hand across his forehead and then through his hair.

"I do want to go," he offered, in a quiet voice. A moment or two later he looked up and gently smiled at his very pregnant bride.

"I'm not going with David and Cathy. I'm going to fly from San Antonio to Lubbock. That way I can get back here lickety split if your mother calls."

Angela nodded her approval.

"I'm glad you're going. Michael will never forget it."

Chapter 142

James was sitting in the first row of the General Admission seats right next to the first base dugout. The area was reserved General Admission for player's families. He had arrived early to watch the Texas Tech Red Raiders take batting practice. Some of the players recognized him and he chatted them up about the upcoming season. He chuckled when he saw a few players pointing in his direction.

Then, Michael appeared from the training building next to Dan Law Field. Michael immediately saw his parents and smiled. The other pitchers were coming onto the field with him. Cathy waved at him to come over.

"Hi, Mom," he said, as he came to the fence. "Thank you for being here."

"I wouldn't have missed it, Baby. You look handsome in that uniform."

"Mom! No, Baby. OK?" he barked.

James nearly fell from his seat in laughter with that one. David shook his head with a grin.

"How ya feeling, Son?" David asked.

"Good, I've been throwing well this week," he replied. "Hi, Uncle James!"

James stood and stepped over next to Cathy.

"How's your fastball?"

"94 to 96. Sometimes 98."

"Control?"

"Good... Two seam moves in on right handers."

James smiled with the answers.

"How's your grades?"

"4.0 last semester... Dean's List... Doing it again this semester."

James smiled wider with the reply.

"Go get 'em, Michael. Make sure they never forget your name after today. And, Guns Up!" he declared proudly.

"Yes, Sir... Guns Up!"

Chapter 143

"Amazing," James thought. "He's not the same pitcher he was last year. Stronger. Much, much stronger. More accurate. More commanding."

James briefly entertained the thought he would have trouble with Michael if he faced him in Kansas City.

"COME ON, MICHAEL! EASY OUT!" Angela squealed.

James was convinced Michael's girlfriend could be heard from every corner of the campus. His ear drum hurt with her sitting next to him.

THAWP! "STRIKE!"

The home crowd erupted with their approval.

"YES, SIR, MICHAEL! KEEP 'EM GUESSING!" she replied.

KLANG! THAWP! THAWP! "OUT!"

*****

The full house grandstands screamed their approval as the Red Raiders left the field for the bottom of the 7th inning, leading 5-1. Every fielder slapped Michael on the butt with their glove as they headed to the dugout. The catcher ran over and slapped him, too. The bench players greeted him outside the dugout in the same fashion.

"Michael would have a shutout if not for that eteenrror in left field!" David barked, over the applause and screaming. He was smiling as his son left the mound.

James smiled in reply. Seven innings, 1 error, 3 hits... 1 double and 2 singles, 1 walk, 1 unearned run, 6 strikeouts. His infield and outfield helped him. Michael had an assisted out himself, a 1-3 putout on a blurped hit to his right.

When the top of the 8th inning began, Michael didn't leave the dugout. He was replaced with a reliever.

"A good night for your first start," James thought.

Chapter 144

"Come on! The players' families and girlfriends meet them behind the third base dugout near the training building after games!" Angela yelped, as she flew by Cathy and made her way out of the stands.

Cathy looked at James and shrugged her shoulders with her eyebrows high on her forehead. James smiled a smirk, as did David. It took some time for the full house crowd to clear the stands. James was proud of himself, too. He came "incognito" tonight, so as not to distract from Michael's big start. He wore black rimmed sunglasses, although it was a night game, a red Texas Tech baseball jacket, and a black felt cowboy hat, to blend in with the crowd. Not one person recognized him.

As they approached the area Angela told them about, it was clear families were there. Moms, dads, sisters, brothers, grandmas, grandpas, and girlfriends. Fans, too. It was cold this mid-February Friday night. Everyone had on heavy coats, hats, and gloves. A rare sight in south central Texas, but not on the High Plains of Texas. Michael had warned his parents to bring coats, gloves, and blankets to the game.

Angela found them as they arrived and darted around some little kids to speak to them. "Michael will be out in a few minutes. They're going over the game stats with the players. Michael did great tonight, didn't he?"

"Yes, he did," Cathy offered. "We've never seen him pitch so well. He's much improved from last year."

"Here they come now!" Angela squealed, as she darted back into the crowd to be the first to greet them.

James and David would have laughed, but, Angela wasn't the only young woman squealing and trying to be the first in line. There were no fewer than 12 young women, according to James' best count, who were wanting to greet their boyfriend first.

They all had to wait on Michael, though. He could be seen through the fence outside the training building speaking with one of the coaches. The coach was animated with throws and grips of the baseball, as though he was giving tips to Michael.

"He's trying to get more control out of Michael on his fastball," he mumbled to David.

Just when me made the comment to David, James suddenly recognized the coach. He couldn't remember where though.

Chapter 145

While they were waiting on Michael, James made a quick call to Angela to see how things were. She had just put Larissa to bed and had her feet up to relieve some minor swelling. There were no contractions, and Cynthia was waiting on her hand and foot. It was starting to get on her nerves.

James reported Michael got his first win and he looked much improved from last year. He also reported he thinks he has a ruptured ear drum from Michael's girlfriend screaming during the game. James ended the call when he saw Michael heading in their direction.

Just as Michael cleared the gate, Angela threw her arms around his neck and kissed him on the cheek. Michael returned her embrace, returned her kiss on the lips, and offered her a warm smile.

James recognized that smile. He had seen Michael's father give the same smile to Cathy when they were dating. James was fifteen.

"You were great!" Angela squealed.

Cathy tried to approach Michael, but, was cut off by the crowd of parents who congratulated him on his first win of the season. Michael could see his mother, but, the crowd kept him from reaching her. Cathy stepped back and admired the attention her son was receiving. She smiled warmly each time Michael looked to her. A few minutes later, the crowd thinned enough for Michael to reach his parents. Angela released his hand as they met.

"Congratulations, Son," Cathy offered.

"Thank you, Mom. And, thank you for being here," he said, as he hugged her a good and firm hug. A hug a son gives his mother.

David looked at James with Michael's last comment to his mother. He nodded a nod of thank you to his little brother.

James gave a gentle nod in reply.

Chapter 146

"Uncle James, I want you to meet my pitching coach. Coach Ortiz."

James had removed his sunglasses when they entered the training room offices with Michael and his parents. Michael's parents had met Coach Ortiz last fall when Michael reported to the team. James had a better look at the man he recognized earlier.

"Coach Ortiz," James began. "I have this feeling you and I have met before, but I can't place where or when."

Coach Ortiz smiled as wide as the office. "Oh, I haven't forgotten you, James Young. Pablo Ortiz, Seattle Mariners."

James smirked and shook his head with a little embarrassment. "You stuck me out on the nastiest changeup I've ever seen. It looked like it had helium in the ball. Right? I was told it was clocked at 54 miles per hour."

Ortiz nodded his head with pride. "I haven't forgotten, because, I AM, one of the few pitchers in history to claim a strike out on James Young. I've been aching for this moment the second I found out Michael is your nephew!"

"Well, your ache is relieved," James offered, with a smile.

"Michael, your uncle made me pay the price for that strikeout," Pablo offered, with a sigh. "The next at bat, I swear his eyes were red. He slapped a first pitch off the right center field wall for a stand up double and scored 2 RBIs. The next at bat, he hit another first pitch shot down the left field line and scored another RBI with a runner on first. Again, a stand up double. Two pitches. Two doubles. Three RBIs. Now you know why so many managers walked him so much."

James remembered that Sunday afternoon in Seattle and nodded with a smile.

"Tell me about your career here," James offered.

"Coach Frost and I met at a coaches clinic. We hit it off quick and he hired me on the spot. I've been here for seven years."

"Tell me about this man, here, Ortiz. He isn't the same pitcher we sent to you," James asserted.

"One of the best prospects to walk through the door," Pablo began. "He was still raw when he arrived, but we fixed that quick, didn't we Michael? If he stays healthy, and I'm going to make sure that happens, he could be a record setter here. If he follows the plan, it could happen. We go over the plan every week. Every pitcher on the team. We're not going to have any UCL injuries while I'm here."

James was impressed. He looked to Michael and said, "He's done something for you Michael. You looked good out there tonight. Scary good. I have no doubt the Lobos won't forget who beat them tonight."

After they said their good byes and walked outside, Angela whispered, "Michael, I didn't know your uncle played baseball."

Michael gently shook his head and smiled a forgiving smile to his girlfriend.

Chapter 147

James got up early at Cathy and David's apartment because the first flight out of Lubbock was at 6 am. He quietly passed through the front door so they wouldn't wake.

The taxi he scheduled the day before was waiting on him in the parking lot. He was surprised to find so many people at the airport so early. And, of course, three people recognized him and word spread fast. Even airport security got photos of him while passing through the checkpoint.

What James did, when he arrived in San Antonio, was something he had not done before. He went incognito before leaving the plane. He didn't want any delays to get back to his Angela. He put on his sunglasses, a dark, light weight jacket, and his black felt cowboy hat. Amazingly, he got out of the airport and to the parking garage, without being recognized. He had checked his phone after leaving the plane and there were no messages from either Angela or Cynthia.

When he sat in his truck, he called Angela.

"I feel fine. I'm having fun with Larissa. We're playing patty cake," she reported.

"OK, I love you and Larissa, and I'll be there in two hours."

"We'll be waiting on you, won't we Larissa?"

"Dah Dah"

"Did she say 'Daddy?'"

Chapter 148

"I'm twenty minutes away."

"Be careful, James," Cynthia begged. "They just took her into delivery. You have plenty of time."

"I will."

Cynthia felt bad telling James, he had plenty of time. She knew Angela's contractions where getting longer and more frequent. She was afraid the twins would be here before he arrived.

Twenty minutes later, Cynthia saw James walking quickly down the long hallway. With Larissa in her arms, she started walking toward him to meet him halfway.

"Dah Dah!"

James smiled a wide smile when he took Larissa in his arms. "She is saying, 'Daddy.' I have missed you, Larissa." A quick kiss and hug later...

"I think you need to get in there, James," Cynthia offered, with a smile. She took Larissa from her father, who started bawling, screeching, and screaming, as her father left quickly for the delivery room.

"There's Dad," offered Dr. Lambeau, as James entered the maternity suite. "You're right on time. Molly, will you bring Mr. Young up to date, please?'

"Mr. Young, her labor advanced more quickly than we expected. We didn't have time to perform an epidural. She's doing this on her own. No meds."

"OK, Mrs. Young. One more, big, long push."

"Aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!"

"Great job! My, you have a little girl! Molly, will you take Baby A, please?"

"Hi, Cynthia. I'm your Mama," Angela cried.

"OK, Angela. The other baby will be here in just a few minutes," Dr. Lambeau announced, as she felt Angela's abdomen for the baby's position.

Angela endured more painful contractions until the head of the other baby was crowning.

"Janice, get ready for Baby B, please.? OK, two more pushes."

"Aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggh!"

"Cynthia is beautiful, Angela," James offered.

"OK... One more long push."

"Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggh!"

"Yes, Ma'am! You have another baby girl! Janice, take Baby B, please."

"Hi, Margaret. I'm your Mama," Angela cried.

The room was filled with screams from two tiny little girls.

"Mrs. Young, here is Cynthia," Molly announced. "She is wearing a pink hat and a pink bracelet. This way, we know she is Cynthia. Her bracelet reads 'Baby A Young.'"

Molly placed Cynthia on her mother's chest and she immediately calmed down.

"Yee oh, yee oh," she yelped, in a high pitched tone.

"I love you, Cynthia. I'm your Mama," Angela offered, as she held her daughter for the first time.

Molly continued, "When Janice is finished with Margaret, she is Baby B Young, and she will be wearing a purple hat and bracelet. Mr. Young... To tell the girls apart, you and Mom need to choose a color for each daughter, like we have done here. You may choose any color you like, but the color must stay with the same girl. One sister may not have the other sister's color. It can be a hat, socks, shoes, or bows. And, don't undress both girls at the same time. They must have their color on them at all times, until you can tell the two apart, which will happen very soon. Any questions?"

"Identical twins?" James asked.

"Dr. Lambeau?"

"When I'm finished with Angela, we'll discuss identicals," she responded.

"I love you, Margaret," Angela cried, as she received her newest daughter.

"Yee oh," yelped Margaret.

Angela was loving on her two daughters. Each one was cooing face down on her chest.

Margaret popped her eyes open and saw her father for the first time.

"What a beautiful sight," James mumbled. "Two little sisters loving their mother and Angela is loving them in return."

Chapter 149

"OK, identicals," Dr. Lambeau announced, after she finished with Angela. "There is one placenta.... I knew that from the dopplers we performed... Which means there is a very good chance these little girls are identical twins. There is a DNA test available to confirm their twin status. I can order the tests if you like, and the results will take about 3 weeks."

James looked to Angela for support. She nodded with a smile.

"Tests... We want the tests," he replied.

"OK... So you have named your babies. Cynthia and Margaret. Are these family names?" she asked.

"Yes," Angela began. "They are named after our mothers. Their grandmothers."

"That is so sweet to honor your mothers in this way. I saw their big sister before you came in here. She is darling. OK... Here's what's going to happen. They are going to take you to a room and there will be two cribs there for you. I will be along later this evening to make sure the stitches for the episiotomy are OK, and check on your new daughters. I'll see you two, and your two little ones, later." With that, Dr. Lambeau left the suite.

"Angela, I have never seen such a beautiful sight. Two little girls in your arms," James sighed.

"They are beautiful," Angela wept.

"Yeo," yelped Cynthia.

"Yeo," yelped Margaret.

Chapter 150

"OK, Angela. We have a little problem," Dr. Lambeau began, as she sat next to Angela.

She had examined Angela and both girls. Everyone was fine, except for Angela. Grandma Cynthia became concerned with the comment from the doctor.

"I have your blood work report here. You're anemic. This is common with multiple birth mothers. Now, I'm giving you a list of foods which have iron. I also need for you to rest. Lots of it. I know you have three tiny babies, but you're going to need some help until your iron counts are up... Way up! If I don't see your iron counts up when you and the girls come to see me in 2 weeks, I'm going to order supplements. I don't think you will like them, either."

"Angela will get the help," barked James. "I'll make sure of it. I'll also make sure she gets rest and the foods you want her to have."

"James, I can do it," Angela yelped.

"Let him get you some help, Angela," Dr. Lambeau interrupted. "You have three very tiny babies, that require lots of attention. Your anemia is border line serious. You need rest, young lady. And food. Drink plenty of water and fluids when you go home. You may nurse both babies, but you have to get lots of rest, eat, and drink to do your little girls any good. You must take care of yourself, so you can take care of Margaret and Cynthia and their big sister. And, I want to see a nod of approval from you right now."

Angela complied.

*****

Three weeks later...

Cynthia and Margaret were confirmed by DNA testing. They are identical twins.

Chapter 151

"I hired Katie to help us. She needs money for college and she's excited to be with her cousins. She starts after school today."

He came into their bedroom, having just got off the phone with Katie.

"Thank you, James," Angela began. "I thought I could do this alone. I think I could have done it, but the anemia."

"Katie wants to live with us, starting now," James continued. "She'll come here after school and stay the night with us. When she graduates in May, she'll stay with us through the summer, until she goes to Coastal Plains."

James paused to catch his breath.

"I also hired your mother to be with you during the day until Katie arrives from school. She has strict orders to help only when you take a nap or become exhausted. She's looking forward to being with Larissa, while you attend to the twins." He paused again.

"And, Brenda called. In two weeks, I will be in Kansas City and Omaha on business for a week, home for the weekend, then San Antonio for a week. Little James will be over to check on the cattle herd. He will check in with you if you need anything special for the cattle. Brenda will be with me in San Antonio and when we're done, she's going to stay with us for the weekend. She's aching to see the girls." He caught his breath.

ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers
12