Ann: The Married Years Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Frankly that barely registered in his mind as he whipped the red Nissan around to back into his spot. It had been an eventful day at work. One that he thought might happen someday, but it was hard to believe it had actually taken place. And now that it had he wasn't sure how to react.

Thelma had been on pins and needles when he first walked into the production office to start his workday. She had arrived her usual hour ahead of her shift, always wanting to be prepared. He always showed up a half-hour later, realizing very early in his career at Armada that he didn't need a full hour to get ready for the shift. Thelma, like Ann, had her rituals. Being an early bird was one of them.

Because of that habit she was there when Jeff came into the office to ask Conrad to come with him for a meeting, and the room got immediately tense. Conrad started ranting, telling Jeff he didn't have time for a meeting. He yelled that he was going out of town for the weekend on a motorcycle trip, and with it being shift change weekend he was going to take advantage of the extra time he'd have from going from first shift to second.

They argued back and forth for five minutes before Jeff finally got him out the door. When Neil arrived a short time later, Thelma was a frazzled mess.

"Neil, something's going on," she said before he even had a chance to put down his lunch cooler.

"What?"

Rolling her chair over toward his desk, she whispered, "Jeff just took Conrad in for a meeting. I... I think they're letting him go."

Neil knew that Jeff had had a meeting earlier in the week with Andy Evans and Jim White, the VP of plant operations and the HR director, respectively. Carol even told him she had an inkling that they were done with the shenanigans he'd been pulling. But he played dumb, not wanting to let Thelma know he had inside information. Frankly he wasn't so sure he believed it himself.

"What it the world makes you think that?" he asked.

"I've been with this company a long time, Neil. I know how they operate. I've seen this before."

"Aw... c'mon. You're overreacting."

"No, you're not seeing the signs."

"What signs are those?"

"For one, you know as well as I do that he's been on thin ice for a long time."

"Actually, from the day they hired him. But that's beside the point."

"Okay, two, its three-thirty."

"And?"

"When have they ever had a meeting with one supervisor at three-thirty. It doesn't happen."

"Okay, so maybe they're just giving him a warning. Or they're... I don't know, giving him some kind of probation or suspension."

"If they were thinking like that, they could have done it anytime, any day they wanted. That's not how they operate with management. They don't suspend. They document and then they fire."

"Thelma, really, I don't --"

"It's Friday, Neil. They always can people on Friday's. Most companies do. And in case you didn't know it, Armada is particularly partial to the shift change firing."

"What? Why would that matter?"

"They do it that way because there's less chance we'll work the weekend of a shift change, which means they don't usually have to worry about coverage on a Saturday. It gives them time to make the changes they need to cover the shift."

"Changes... what changes?"

"Changes, Neil. If I'm right about this, don't be surprised if they split us up."

That revelation had Neil on pins and needles and he stayed that way for a couple of hours. He and Thelma tried to put the idea that they wouldn't be working together any longer out of their mind. But it was there, hanging over them like a big dark cloud. As much as he wanted Conrad gone because he was a pain in his ass and more importantly because he was a detriment to the success of the company, he didn't want to lose Thelma as a partner because of it.

If it did come to losing Thelma, he wondered how that would even work. She was the most experienced supervisor in the department, which meant she likely would run his crew and he would be forced to go to the other shift and take over Conrad's. At least, that's what he'd do if he were Jeff.

Derrick, the third supervisor of that area of the department, was just coming into his own on his shift, so it would be crazy to move him. The logical choice seemed to be that he change shifts and take over the crew of misfits Conrad had perpetuated. And that would mean a second straight month on second shift. He groaned at the thought of having to tell Ann he not only lost Thelma as a partner, but he would also be staying put working those awful hours for four more weeks.

Jeff came into the office about six-thirty looking worn. In some ways he also looked relieved. Thelma and Neil had been sitting at their desks pretending to go over the schedule; in reality the two of them going over scenarios that might keep them together, none of them seeming likely. Like Neil, she had come to the same conclusion. They were working their last shift together as partners.

Putting their personal feelings aside they knew they needed to support their boss. No matter how much they hated the idea of not working together on a daily basis, they were team players and they knew if indeed Jeff had canned Conrad, it was for the greater good of the company. The ole the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few axiom came to mind.

"You okay?" Thelma finally asked, watching as Jeff slumped in the chair at Derrick's desk nearest them.

"Yeah. That was rough," he replied, his eyes closed as he leaned back.

"I don't suppose we need to pretend we don't know what just happened, right?"

"Ha... no. I think everyone saw this coming but Conrad. Well, maybe Fred. Monday is going to be interesting. I'm sure he knows by now, and he'll be spitting nails."

"Great," Neil griped to himself. It was bad enough not working with Thelma anymore and having to rein in a shift that was running basically on their own agenda. He never considered having Fred as his partner and what a nightmare that was going to be.

"What do you mean?" Jeff asked, looking puzzled.

Shrugging, Neil said, "Well, I just assumed I was going to get some bad news myself. But I hadn't thought about dealing Fred."

"What do you mean, bad news? Of all people, I would think you would be the happiest right now."

"Jeff, I never like to see someone lose their job, no matter how big of an asshole they are. I don't think happy is the right attitude to have right now."

"Okay, maybe you're not happy. But look, he had his chances. Trust me, this didn't just happen. This was a long time coming, and he was given plenty of opportunities along the way to correct things. At some point you just have to accept that some people don't want to conform to what's good for everybody. The rebel act can only go so far."

"Nonetheless, Neil and I are still waiting for the next shoe to drop, so out with it. Where do we go from here?"

"We?"

"Yes... we, as in our department. You have an opening, and we deserve to know how you intend to fill it. Is it me, or is it Neil?"

"Is it you or Neil... what?"

Exasperated, she got right to the point. "Good lord, Jeff, stop beating around the bush. Which one of us is changing shifts?"

"I am," he shrugged, a deep sigh coming from some resigned place inside his chest.

"What?"

"I'm going. It's my problem, and I need to fix it."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Neil asked.

"I'm the one responsible for the department, and that shift is a mess. Frankly, I don't think it's fair to ask someone else to clean it up. If I go and do it myself, it sends the message to the crew that we're fed up with the way they've been acting... and performing."

Thelma sat back in her chair, thinking about what he was considering. "So, you're just going to go. You're not going to hire someone."

"I never said that. But no, I'm not going to hire someone."

"What the fuck are you thinking?" she said as she got her ire up. "You're demoting yourself... or did Andy do this!"

"Andy had nothing to do with this, other than supporting my decision to fire Conrad. This is my call. And no one is getting demoted. In fact, I'm doing just the opposite. I guess I do have some bad news for you, Neil. I'm promoting Randy."

"Oh my God... really?" he smiled.

It was part of Neil's original vision when he first came on board. His primary job responsibility when he started was to hire the production employees working in his department. He put a great deal of effort into it, hoping he'd create an environment where the people they employed would have a chance to grow. He wanted them to be able to advance within the company. Of course, a lot of that would have to do with how they were supervised once the crews were set.

When the plant started actual production, his crew thrived. He gave them some freedom, but also kept a watchful eye on them. He didn't rule with an iron fist; instead, he taught, and he counseled, and he supported. He managed them, trying to bring out the best in every member of his crew individually in hopes of molding them into a cohesive team.

Randy had taken to that environment and flourished. He was the lead operator on one of the lines, but over time he had also become Neil's right hand man... covering the shift when Neil would take time off. He did such a good job that he was also asked to cover for Thelma whenever she'd take vacation. He'd been given the unofficial title of backup supervisor on the shift and now he was getting rewarded for that.

"Yeah. I need to talk to him first. But I want him to take over that crew."

"Wow... that's going to be a tall order," Thelma said, shaking her head.

"That's why I'm going with him. I'll go to second shift, and then I'm going to rotate with them to third. By the time we get back to day shift, I'll end up with three straight months with Randy and that crew... and Fred. I'm thinking that should be enough time to break them of their bad habits and give Randy a chance to succeed."

"Are you sure about this, Jeff?" she asked. "Not about Randy, but... who's going to run the department."

"Well, when I broached this with Andy, he said he'd do it this coming month. And when you and Neil move to day shift, you'll do it."

"Me? You know I'm not up to that."

"Of course you are. I made sure of it."

"Huh?"

"I've done the same thing with you that you and Neil have done with your crews. I've been grooming you for this for years. The only thing you need is experience. This will be good for everyone."

"Jeff, I --"

"You, Thelma," he interrupted, "are on track to become the first female manufacturing department head in this corporation's history, which is long overdue if you ask me. This is simply the next step to getting there."

"What if I don't want that?"

"Well, then you'll decline the promotion when the opportunity arises. In the meantime, you've got what it takes, and I'm asking you to step up and help me out."

"Neil?" she said nervously, her eyes turning to her friend for his opinion.

"I'd work for you any day of the week, Thelma. Jeff's right... all you need is some time in the seat. I'll cover the floor for you whenever you need to go to meetings."

"Are you sure?"

"I've always had your back, partner. And I always will."

Nodding, she let out a long sigh. "Okay Jeff. I'll do it."

"Good. I'm going to take Randy up to HR to talk to him. Neil, you've got to start thinking about how you're going to change things on your shift next week."

"Already done," he said, pulling out a detailed organization chart for his shift from his top drawer. Pointing at it, he grinned. "Randy moves to take over his own shift, which means... Donna takes his place running the line. Stewart replaces Donna, Gabrielle shifts into Stew's spot, and Anton moves up into Gabrielle's. You're not just promoting Randy...you're promoting all of them. I'll have the paperwork ready in an hour."

"Wow," Jeff laughed. "I didn't know it was going to be that complicated."

"Complicated? That's how it's supposed to work, buddy. I'll need HR to call the next entry employee new hire on the waiting list right away. I want them here Sunday night so I'm not short-handed. I've got to get that person trained so I can start cross-training that line again."

Thelma nodded toward Neil and said, "There's your next department head, Jeff."

"Oh, I have no doubt Neil can do it," he replied. "But he'd be the first to tell you that if everything is equal between candidates, seniority comes first. And just because Neil is qualified doesn't mean you're not."

"He's right, Thel."

"Oh... okay. But you know how I hate meetings."

"So do I," Jeff agreed, "But my next one is going to be so much better than the last one. It's going to be the kind of meeting that make it worth it." He smiled as he got up to take Randy off the floor to offer him Conrad's position.

Neil got up too; ready to start moving his crew around. "After you give him the job, give him the rest of the night off."

"Really... why?"

"He's going to be working another entire month on second shift, Jeff. That's a pretty big deal, whether you want to admit it or not. Besides, he deserves a long weekend to celebrate with his family."

"That's a great idea. I'll see you Monday."

"You too. Good luck!"

Hours later, Neil and Thelma walked to their cars together like they always did that late at night. And they were still talking about the events of the day.

"I still can't believe he's gone," he said as he pulled his keys from his pocket.

"Good riddance, I say," she blurted, unable to contain her contempt for Conrad. "And it's all the better since we still get to be partners."

"Well, I agree with that. But it's still a little unnerving. After all, he was one of us."

"He was never one of us, Neil. That's why he got canned."

"I meant a contemporary Thelma. It's always hard when you see someone at your level let go. It reminds you of how precarious our jobs are."

"Listen to you. Look, if there's one thing I've learned about working at Armada, it's this; as long as we do our jobs, we'll have our jobs. And I don't know how much better you can come off looking than you do right now. Randy... your guy, just got hired to replace Conrad. That's a huge feather in your cap."

"Yeah, I guess. I've got a lot of work to do the next few months though."

"That's right. We have a job to do."

"We?"

"I've got your back too, Neil. And I always will," she said, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek. "I've got to go. Vaughn's waiting for me."

"Yeah, what are you two doing tonight?" he asked, now that she was officially calling him her boyfriend.

Her wide smile would have illuminated the parking lot if there hadn't been lights above them. "I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure he's going to fuck my brains out again this weekend."

"HA... really?"

"Funny... one blowjob in the car and now he can't keep his hands off me. Thanks for that advice, by the way."

"No problem... happy to help."

"And what about you and Ann?" she said with a wink.

"Well, she's going to be tied up for a while tomorrow. But we should have some time together on Sunday."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thelma was right. Neil had come off looking great in the eyes of Jeff and Andy. Andy even said it after he'd gotten done officially promoting Randy, making a point to come on the floor before he left to thank Neil personally for having someone ready to step up into the position.

Neil was thrilled for Randy and his family. But he was also happy for himself on some level. That the first person to be promoted from within his department was one if his crew? Hell, the first five were, and that was a huge bonus in his eyes.

On the other hand, he now had his work cut out for him. His shift had been humming along for almost a year without a major change, and now he had five of them to deal with at once. He was going to be doing a lot of training in the coming weeks and months.

As he turned off the engine, he looked at the unfamiliar car parked in front of the garage, wondering whose it was. Oddly, it suddenly mattered which of the two women he had invited was there, thinking about how in a way he'd already been training, what with the way he'd been playing with Annabelle all week.

"I sure hope that car belongs to Stacy," he smiled, recalling the phone conversation he'd had earlier in the week. "It would be apropos if she was the next promotion."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Neil couldn't believe he was making the phone call at all. It seemed preposterous really. He'd started out just wanting to spend some time with Ann as Annabelle, missing that part of their life together. They had both enjoyed playing bondage games before, but it had gotten away from them; lost in the minutiae of their day to day lives. Now it had turned into a week-long production, and while it was amazing, it was starting to have a life of its own.

The latest twist actually came in the form of a phone call he'd received on Monday at work, well before he'd ever had his first guest over to spend the night.

"Good afternoon, Neil Thomas."

"Neil?"

He chuckled and said, "Yeah... I just said that."

"Oh, yeah. Hi... this is Felicia."

"I know. I recognize your voice. What's up?"

"It's about tonight."

"Felicia, I really can't talk about that here. I'm --"

"I know you're busy. And I'm sorry to bother you, but..."

"Look, if you can't make it tonight, that's fine. I have a backup plan."

"I'm sure you do," she giggled. "It's not that I can't make it, or that I don't want to. I just have a problem and I'm hoping you can help me out."

"Is this something I need to do now?"

"I guess not. But I..."

He could sense her frustration coming over the phone, and he sighed. "I've got five minutes, Felicia. What's going on?"

She explained how she'd overbooked her extracurricular schedule. Well, she hadn't overbooked it as much as she had it completely filled. With her having been invited to have some fun with him and Ann, she had to cancel one of her dates.

It was a long-standing agreement she had with her husband Jason. He loved the idea of her being with other men, and he encouraged it. But he never wanted it to dominate their lives, fearful that too much of a good thing could ruin their marriage.

While it was a surprise to Jason that Felicia had started filling her calendar with women, even though there was only the one penciled in, he didn't mind. It was different than what they'd agreed to, but he didn't feel threatened by her newfound interest in having sex with the opposite sex. Yet he insisted that just because it was female, a date was a date, so it counted toward her monthly allowance. If she wanted to have her night with the neighbors, she needed to cancel one of the others already scheduled for that month. It was Felicia's decision to choose the one lesbian encounter she'd agreed to as the one to bail on.

But that choice came as a huge disappointment to Stacy when she got the call. It had been a big step for her, actually setting up a day like that. She'd talked to her husband Phil about it for weeks after Felicia initially asked her. He encouraged her, knowing she wanted to do it. But it took a while to work up the courage before she finally agreed. When Felicia called to say she needed to postpone it, she felt liked she'd been dumped just before the prom.

Neil was confused by the fact that the two of them were getting together in the first place. "How did that even happen?" he asked.

"It's a long story. You said you only have five minutes."

"Indulge me."

"Ok, well... Stacy was supposed to come to my lesbian day. With Beth. I guess she was consumed by the idea of being with a woman the moment Ann ate her at that Super Bowl party. When I asked Ann about helping me set up a day for me, she suggested Beth, who I'd met at one of Ann's benign gatherings."