Another Day in the Life Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me try this phone number." said Davis. A moment later, a faint ring could be heard inside."

"Let's call for a warrant." said Parker, taking his phone out and doing it himself...

"Can we go in?" asked Waldorf. "If he's hurt inside, it might make a difference..."

"Try the door." said Davis. Statler tried the door. It was not locked, and opened. "Go ahead." said Davis. "Clear it." The Uniformed Officers went in, covering each other as they cleared the few rooms.

"It's clear, sir!" called out Statler after they were done. "No one at home..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

5:50pm. With the Ridley parents occupying my Interrogation rooms, and their child playing a video game under the watchful eye of the ever-patient Father Romano, Warner, Washington, Ross, the Chief and myself were huddling in the main Conference room.

"We can't let him walk out of here." said Joanne. "I think we should book him, have his hearing in Night Court, and get an ankle monitor on him."

"And charge him with what?" I asked.

"Suspicion of attempted murder." said Joanne.

"We may have to do that for her, too." said Theo. "His theory that she set this whole thing up is not implausible."

"There's one other thing." said Cindy. "I was talking to the kid, Zack. He gave me this look that really set my hackles off. And it occurred to me that he, Zack, could've been the one that did this."

"Yes, it's possible." said the Chief. "But making an arrest of either parent now is making a commitment we might regret lay-terrrr. What do you think, Mr Crowbarrrr?"

"I think..." I started, then said, "Okay guys, it's going to be a long night. Here is what we need to do, and pretty fast. Let's secure a warrant to search Susan Carrera's home, a limited warrant solely for pharmaceuticals, including aspirin and Tylenol in her home. A dog should run through there as well as the Ridley home, if that hasn't been done already."

I continued: "Bring Susan Carrera into I-Alpha, again not letting either of the Ridley's see her. We need to talk to her before she sees Dennis Ridley again. And we'll be doing the same for Patricia Ridley's current boyfriend, whatever his name is."

"What about the Ridleys, sir?" asked Cindy.

"After I'm told Carrera is being brought in, I'll let the Ridley's go... but only after a quick conversation with them here in this room, if that's okay with you, Chief."

"Fine by me." said the Chief. "Just have the crowbarrrrs ready, in case they try to beat each other up."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:10pm, Monday, April 16th. Patricia Ridley and her lawyer were brought into the Main Conference Room, followed by Dennis Ridley and his attorney. When their eyes met, I observed Patricia's eyes flash both fear and fire, while Dennis's peepers flashed anger and fire.

They'd been told to not speak when they came in, making my job a bit easier. I said "Thank you for coming in. My name is Don Troy, and I am the Police Commander with the TCPD. We have a bit of a situation, here."

I continued: "We do not feel it is in our interests, your interests, nor your child's interests for you to go back to the same home tonight. So we can do one of two things: we can arrest and book you both, and you will stay the night and have your hearings in the morning; or Patricia can take Zack back to the family home, and Dennis will find other lodgings for the night after we drop him off at his car."

"What about Zack?" asked Patricia. "If we're both arrested, what happens to him?"

"The Department of Family and Children's Services will be notified." said Cindy, exactly on cue as I'd instructed her. "They'll take custody of Zack." Patricia looked horrified at that; Dennis didn't show any emotion, but did the right thing.

"All right." said Dennis. "I'll stay somewhere else."

"Mr. Stelling," I said to Dennis's lawyer, "please do make him understand that if he goes anywhere near the home, I'll have no choice to arrest him. And Mrs. Ridley, I'm going to very strongly recommend you stay at your home and not leave it. Either buy groceries on the way home, or ask someone to bring you anything you need. Ms. Gillem, if you'll talk to your client about that..." Bernadette nodded.

"And of course," I said, "don't leave the County. I'm going to ask you both to come back tomorrow for further conversations. Mr. Stelling, go ahead and take your client out of here. Captain Ross, go with them, and arrange transportation for them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:30pm. Joanne, Theo, and I went into MCD. Parker and Davis were there and about to say something when I held up a hand. "Give me one second, guys. Okay, Warner, we'll need to pick up Patricia's boyfriend. What was his name again?"

Joanne consulted her notes. "A 'Paul Escandes', sir."

"Escandes!" shouted Jerome and Teddy together. As we turned to them, Jerome said "You won't be picking him up tonight, sir."

"Ohhhhh..." I said, understanding slapping me upside the head.

"Yes sir." said Jerome. "He's Steve Coltrane's employee, and he's missing. We just got back from his apartment..."

To be continued.