Anthropology Isekai Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Idly, he connected the radio to his brand-new battery and turned it on.

"You heard it here first," a voice crackled on Mark's radio, "Admiral Johnson was appointed to his rank again for the 7th time in as many administrations."

"Our contentious officer has been criticized since before a lot of us were born," the radio jockey continued as Mark continued trudging his way through the rocky hills, "And yet without fail, every single administration has chosen him to lead our military forces."

The hills dipped and weaved between the forest canopy and large stretches of shrubbery and weirdly tropical trees, but the rocky highlands at least made it hard to get lost.

"Now, I know some people complain about his violations of our Amendments; expatriates or not, we are all still Americans, even in this land."

A compass was a lifesaver for exploratory trips, of course, but Mark had already spelunked even the "straight" path through the foresty jungles before. All the same, his preferred roundabout path had other benefits that he could not quite ignore, even as he was perpetually looking for ways to shorten his trip. Like the fact that he could see danger coming out in the open.

"Some people accuse him of wanting to set up a military dictatorship. Some even accuse him of having set up one, back at the beginning of our stay. And for those of you too young to remember, things were very murky when we got here."

This was his ninth trip into and out of Camp. He would usually aim to carry as much as he could to his destination and then, while his provisions lasted, he would try to get as much done as he could with what he had. There were roots and fruits where he had decided to stay that were of interest to people in town, as well as still new animals that nobody had ever recorded, and those alone were enough to bankroll the expeditions.

"The fact that we have elections at all has been the perpetual banner all of his 'fans' have used to defend him. Yet, without fail, regardless of who becomes Governor, they confirm his continued appointment as our grand guard dog."

But the truth was that if he were just trying to make a living out of foraging, trapping and hunting, he didn't need to take half a week-long trip all the way here.

"So a lot of people have taken to asking if our Governors can even do differently. If, indeed, it's the people on the ballot who become our leaders."

As much as people had spread out over the last 31 years, it was surprising how little land half a million people could cover. Given a peninsula the size of half of Europe, even the most fed-up recluse had to stick relatively close to Camp. There was no other way to get electricity or even the overpriced products that the newly minted interests were starting to crank out.

"I will confess, I feel that this is all missing the forest for the trees."

And while having to live, no, make himself a house without the utilities that he could find in Camp was less a challenge and more the type of back-breaking labor that he was leaving the town for-

"A lot of the talking heads talk about the disproportionate power the Armed Forces has over our lives. And this while they compromise about half of our population, and not by design."

-It was at least something that he was doing for himself and not someone else.

He loved his brothers to death and he would be lying if he said that he didn't have a few friends back in camp. But while they all had him to help them out, the sad truth was that Mark had no one to count on. They were too poor, too young, too weak, or too involved in their own affairs to help Mark out. He was strong. He was big. He was capable.

And that meant he had shoulders to carry their weight. But his? He still had to find space in between his shoulder blades.

Because there was no one to help him out. A boy with no father and no mother. No surviving family except those that couldn't give what he did.

He really loved his brothers to death and enjoyed the company of his few friends and acquaintances. But for once, he wanted a place of his own. For once, he wanted a moment to breathe and not worry about someone else. For once, he wanted to enjoy the fact that he was all of these things everyone else said he was.

"They talk about the Admiral, about who should be Admiral, about giving someone new a chance or keeping the salt dog that we all know so much in charge."

Of all his brothers, his youngest one would probably manage to attract a girl and make a family of his own. Mark still hoped to be around when that happened, to see his family still continue on, but he knew what his other brothers did; that he would die around other old people as a younger generation with actual hopes and chances hoped that they wouldn't make a fuss while they did so. They did what they could for now, because there would come a day when they would be too weak and old to do much.

And then they would be brushed aside.

Mark would rather die alone on his own merits and under his own power. In a place that was his and no one else's.

"Yet, in regard to the position of Admiral I have to ask; of what Fleet?"

His own home.

The Camp government had opened up land claims again, back when Mark had wasted his time toiling at resource-claiming operations on the Bent or the Trough. He'd watch a few friends of his get metal poisoning or die from the earth collapsing under their feet. It was good money, it needed to be good money for anyone to work in it, but to what end?

Any home he made near the city would be subject to all sorts of counterclaims by thousands of people who believed this or that plot belonged to them. Even the outskirts weren't safe from that kind of bullshit, because people had taken to preemptively laying Claim to spots they had never visited just in case it would be profitable later.

Cases were trudging through the court system, but Mark wasn't enthused about having to wait for that to have a house. So he made a claim somewhere no one else had, if only because no one else wanted to.

A spot nearest to the mountain range that cut off the peninsula from the rest of the continent, in foothills that were relatively simple to get to but quite high. While Camp made attempts at getting everyone to settle down, he was here already building up the rest of his life. Because while everyone else had either accepted the inevitable or were delusional about their chances, Mark had set to live out on his terms.

After all, all societies had a place for their children.

But what place did Camp have for a man?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Leaving the political aside, our forecast for the next two days is that it's going to be rainy, the Junks beat the Galleys 12-7, and steel Machetes remain by far the most popular gift to give-" the radio churned out 3 days later as Mark was making his way through some bumpy hills. The mounds elevated his position around copses of trees and honest-to-goodness forests, letting him pull on his sled without worry of snags. Or worry of predators.

Or it should have.

Three days into his trip he came across one of the things that sent shivers down the back of any man that plied his trade in the wilds.

Walking towards him was a Hound Rat. One that had foam dribbling down its mouth.

"-fuck," Mark muttered as he turned his radio off.

Mark could, and had, killed the predatory rodent thing many times in the past. Sometimes for their pelts, but a lot of the times for their flesh. They made for good eating if you roasted them right. They were dangerous when in packs but, despite being the size of a mid-sized dog, Mark was sure that he could take on one any time of the day. And the rodents usually knew it too.

But this one? This one started running towards him as soon as its poor sight caught what its nose had.

"Shit, shit, shit," Mark said as he dug around in his sled. He had carefully organized things, but in moments of desperation, it was easy to forget where they were.

"Yes!" he exclaimed in victory as he pulled out what might just be saving his life.

"You want me?" he yelled at the rodent as he pointed the nozzle of a plastic bottle at the nearing creature, "Then have some!"

Once the creature was close enough for him to see its blood-shot eyes, and its unthinking gaze, he pressed on the lever of the bottle.

And sprayed the Hound Rat with water.

The creature snarled, hissed and grunted when he did. But it did stop.

"You stupid little shit!" Mark yelled as he advanced on it, spraying it with water all the while, 'How do you like that, huh? Have some H2O motherfucker!"

The Hound Rat looked as though it wanted to tackle him, but the wetter it got the more anxious it visibly became.

Until it turned tailed and ran back to the neatest copse of trees.

"Oh, but I almost gave you a bath!" Mark yelled after it, raising his hands to make himself look big, "You sure you don't want another rinse?"

But Hound Rat just disappeared behind a brush.

Mark breathed deeply as he waited there for about thirty minutes. He made sure that the fucking rabid animal wouldn't think to follow him. He should honestly go after it and kill it to keep its disease from spreading but...

Good god, of all the things to make the transition between worlds, why did Rabies have to be one of them?

The vaccine for it still existed, thankfully, but was so rare that if you got scratched or bit by one of the woodland creatures that had somehow managed to get it, well, you were probably dead.

It was thankfully rather rare, but it was still nerve-wracking all the same. However, it was fortunate that the Hound Rats became incredibly hydrophobic upon contracting the disease. They took the rabid Terran animal's antipathy for water and cranked it to eleven. Meaning that, if you saw a rabid rat coming, defending yourself was as easy as throwing water at it.

But that was IF you saw it coming.

Easy or not, this was still a brush with death and Mark's hands were shaking as he continued on.

He watched his back after that, looking around him to make sure he would spot the rat it came after him if it decided to double back. Rabid animals weren't logical things, so it could well do that.

He tried to capture some of that happiness that he felt upon leaving the town, but it was impossible not to worry as he continued his journey with his heavy burden.

Thankfully, he was walking through the hills and so would see any animal that came his way. Thankfully, he path he was taking might be long, but it was very safe. Thankfully, meeting a rabid animal in the wild was unfortunate, most rational ones rarely hunted prey out in the open.

Mark was starting to feel safe again the next day. He was starting to feel relief that he was getting close to home.

And then stopped as life shat on him again.

The path that he was so happy about. The path that went around the forests dotting the feet of the mountain up to his house, but did so in a way that made it impossible for anything or anyone to sneak up on him, well, it wasn't there anymore.

At some point between his trip to Camp Town and his return a rockslide had blocked the passage. So apparently it wasn't as stable and safe as he thought.

"Really?" He yelled into the sky. Of course, no one responded and he wasn't sure that god made the trip with them even if he existed, "Fucking really?"

"WHY!" he screamed and no one but the echo of his voice replied back.

He would have to clear this landslide at some point. He was actually rather close to his house, a half-a-day's trip away even through this roundabout, but he was carrying a sled full of supplies with him. Useful to build his house, but useless to clear these rocks.

He would have to take the direct route then. One that led down the hill that he was on and straight through a forest.

And he would have to do it while pulling his sled.

Sigh.

He reached into his sled and pulled out his old machete out.

It was a pockmarked blade that he had sharpened many times. For someone like him, who got plants and animals to sell back in town, it was a necessity to make his way through any underbrush. But the blade was worn enough for him to have seen the necessity of buying a new one in town.

With a groan, he pulled his sled to the foot of the forest and, with dark thoughts in his mind, started weaving his way among trees until bushes threatened to trap the vehicle.

Then the blade came out and started to cut.

Day almost immediately turned into night as big trees blocked the sunlight. The wind of the hills and the call of faraway animals were quickly replaced by the sound of his boots stomping into soft ground and his blade cleaving into young trees and shrubs. Sometimes, it was as easy as cutting a few bushes to make a clear path between big trees.

Other times, Mark had to fight against an army of green soldiers for every inch that he took.

And if that had been all...it would have been annoying, but would have been just work. And Mark was used to work.

But no, the Hound Rats liked hunting inside the forests, the adolescents formed packs, and their calls, squeaks and grunts were impossible to place with all the trees there muffling the direction of the sound.

Other predators that Mark had come to respect also made their debut, even a mole-like creature that was capable of pulling animals a bit bigger than a dog into a hole in the ground only to silence its cries in seconds. Nothing an experienced explorer would fall to, but it became something else to look out for.

But Mark wasn't just traveling by. He was hauling a sled full of shit and that made the time he took to cut the undergrowth rather...unnerving.

The rabid Hound Rat he met the other day could be here.

It was an intrusive thought. A stupid one, given how the disease made it unlikely that the rat had the presence of thought to follow him this far, but with all the shrubs and trees around how would he know?

The sounds of all the fucking Hound Rats became suspicious then as Mark cut and cut. He went deep into the forest, using the inclination of the ground and the shapes of the trees to guide himself, but it was hard. And he was becoming more and more unnerved.

Which would explain why he jumped around when his machete broke in his grasp.

"Fuck!" Mark yelled as the blade went flying out and barely missed clipping him on the head. He was cutting into a young sap that might have been a little too old to go at with his machete, but he was less and less inclined to go around things he didn't have to. The blade bit deeply into the wood and, at this tense moment, snapped close to the hilt.

Was it from a hidden impurity in that area when it had been made? So far, all the nicks in the utility blade were on half end of the blade. But he had been using it for so long, that it might have simply been built-up stress.

It was enough for Mark to want to throw his now useless hilt on the ground but...no. He went and got his broken blade and threw it and the hilt on his sled. Metal salvage was valuable even now and he could use that to get something else when he was in town.

"Fucking shit," Mark hissed as he fetched his new Machete out. It was high-quality carbon steel, made from the ore that they had managed to dig up in this new world. It was longer and a bit heavier than his old machete had been. A bother, if he had been planning on swinging it around all day long, but it was perfect to cut into this thick undergrowth.

The way forward was easier then, giving him a tiny bit of relief, but the thought of that disgusting rat did not leave his thoughts. He still had to watch out for the mole eater. He still had to watch out for normal rats. He still had to watch out for other animals who he still had not given name to nor, as far as he knew, had anybody else.

He had to watch his back. He had to watch his back and make sure that his sled was in one piece. He had to watch his back, make sure his sled was in one piece AND cut his way forward. His nerves, and his mood quickly deteriorated after that.

By the time he took down the last sap in his way, he was swinging more in anger than he was to clear it away. With a pause, he looked around himself and saw that he had finally made it all the way through the stretch.

And now, at long last, he was finally again on ground that he recognized. It was even close to a break in the cliffs that would allow him to head directly home.

"Thank god," Mark sighed with relief as he put his now sole machete back in its sheath, because this one actually came with a sheath!, and allowed himself a few moments of quiet as he took the sight in.

He had done it.

Despite having to literally fight to get the money that Julius had fucking promised him, he was here now with most of what he wanted and needed to bring.

Despite having to divert a chunk of his funds to help his brother out and the fucking ass stain he called his father, his sled was intact and he'd be able to start building his house now.

Despite the rabid rat, the landslide and the fucking undergrowth of the forest he had to travel through...he was here now.

Home.

The trip uphill was a drag and it was hard, but it was the sort of thing he only had to perform once in a while, so it was fine. He could get home, set up his tent, dig into his rations and sleep like the dead.

The hill disappeared under his feet and he crested the distance up and up. The more he saw the more he recognized. He had walked these hills far and wide as he got familiar with the surroundings of his house.

Over here, was a copse of trees that bat-like things like to perch in to hunt down in the forest below. They had never bothered him, so Mark had been happy to simply spectate their magnificence.

Over there was a vein of Lazuli showing off in granite that had sprouted off the ground. Maybe he'd get around to tapping it someday but for now? He simply watched it as he passed.

Over there was a cliff that stood over the forest he had just traveled through and allowed himself to look deep into the horizon beyond it. And was reminded for the thousandth time how beautiful this place was.

Over there was a rock that overlooked the path that he would usually take. The safe but long path that twisted through a few hills. The rock stood like a guardian just waiting for him to come back. It was a stalagmite that was practically his welcome mat. It was-

-there was something on top of it.

Laying on top of the rock with a rather relaxed posture, was a green long-eared creature staring at where Mark would have usually traveled to and from.

It had a spear in hand, it was wearing a loin cloth, a yawn revealed fang-like incisors and it was scratching its ass.

The bottom of Mark's stomach fell.

His home, the place where he planned on building his house, was his heaven. It was quite literally the spot where the world wouldn't be able to reach him. Where he could be by himself and to himself and not have to be part of the doomed men barely making a living in the tents.

He had planned on putting the walls of his house up this time around. Probably even make a rudimentary roof so that he wouldn't have to sleep in a tent for the first time since his mother died. He had planned on going to bed here, sweaty and dirty with sawdust, only to make heavy meals before sleeping in a warm cabin. He had planned on making a slow fire on a stone chimney, as he stared out a slightly open window into a world welcoming the winter months.

Alas.

Nothing good ever lasted in his life.

Of course, he was a dumbass to expect that he could have anything in this world.

Of course, he should have known that this dream of his wouldn't last.

The native, just by his presence. Just by sitting there awaited him with its shitty pointy stick in hand, had already ended his dream.