Arcana's Path Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Says the girl with a pet jormungandr."

Kitty shrugged, "Whatever. Time to go buy a bike. I'll get some cash out. Mind gettin' us some food?"

---

They both cried, lying back to back.

Eventually, Rin stopped bawling and started snoring. Too exhausted by all the insanity her brain was struggling and failing to fully process. She had far more to consider than Violet did.

She, on the other hand, just had to deal with a latent or not-so-latent attraction to her long lost daughter. Who she had believed the Council had found long ago and slit her throat.

A reminder of being in love with a goddess who had used her as a cum dumpster for a week, waited until she was pregnant, and then disappeared from her life. Leaving nothing but broken memories and forbidden knowledge in her wake.

And a Council who she was interested in murdering. After being mistreated, accused and acquitted of war crimes, having her child kidnapped, and then reportedly killed before finally turning up long after she thought they were dead... The Council may have outlived her generosity.

Violet was mostly angry at Dawn, all things considered. For putting Rin in her path without any warning labels. For not letting her know that their daughter was still alive. For not bothering to have a conversation in over a decade.

Unfortunately, being angry at a goddess pretty much just meant you were angry at the sky. It did not care, and you could not change it. Expecting to be able to do anything at all with that anger was ludicrous.

Violet went to ease slowly out of the bed, when a hand caught her wrist instantly. She looked down at the firm grip, "Not abandoning you. I just have a couple people who need talking to."

"Then I'm coming with."

She winced, "Remember how people call me Violence? I don't want you seeing that side of me."

"I do not care." Rin replied, glaring over at her tiredly with swollen eyes, "Maybe that'll make it easier to... Move on."

Violet sighed, "Okay, to rephrase, I'm going to go talk to a few people who were planning on killing you. And by talk, I don't really expect the conversation to be a long one."

"Because I'm your daughter."

"And Dawn's. Demigod isn't exactly a compliment in witching circles." Violet hesitated and then shrugged, "Fine. Ready to puke?"

Rin stood up beside her, "Are we getting changed or...?"

"Winds of change, resonate. Make the two in one, and one in three. Break and bind, and take me to the Council." Violet commanded, the steel beads dropping from her hand.

Rin collapsed beside her and she glared around the room. Violet shoved whoever was being grilled to the side and stood in the centre, capturing the idiots incensed attention, "Hey, you fuckers! So, I think some of you know already, but this girl here is Rin Kisaki. Or Rin Waterhouse, if you want to be more accurate. I'm interested in answers, you're interested in not being banished to a dark oblivion for eternity. Let's have a talk."

The Head of the Council leaned forward slowly, "Did you bring the girl here to surrender her? There is only one way this ends, Miss Waterhouse. With her execution."

"I am sick of your bullshit!" Violet exploded, "My magic might be frayed and shitty, but it is more than enough to remind you that I fucked a god! So. Shut. Up. Malory!"

The Head leaned back and gestured tiredly.

Violet snapped her fingers and the two approaching witches screamed before they disappeared. She turned in a small circle, listening to the thoughts of each of the Council members. "You. You knew who Rin was. How, why, and what did you intend to do?"

The woman in question finally stood up, and wiped her mouth on her wrist. "Did you just put those two in timeout or...?"

"They're dead, Rin." Violet said, trying not to let a hint of regret creep in. "Or, well, worse. Can we avoid that argument, right now? Later. Don! You knew about Rin."

The wizard sighed and shrugged, "Yes, I knew about Rin. I was asked to see if she would be a good friend for Arcana, by her mother. I wasn't about to sell out a mundane to the Council."

"Astra-fucking-ea!" Violet exploded.

A purple-eyed witch stood up from her throne and jumped down to walk over slowly and stand in front of her. She felt herself shrivel up in the face of the woman, who cocked an eyebrow, "Yes, little Violence?"

Rin stepped between them, "Hey. I might not like what she's doing but -"

Violet's hands clapped over her mouth, "No. No, we don't talk back to Astraea. Like, ever. She's your mother's sister."

Rin paused and looked back at her, and then to the woman again, "What?"

"I'm a goddess, little one." Astraea said derisively, "The last one to actually vaguely care what happens to humanity, as it happens. Dawn has been off in her palace since your thirteenth birthday. She doesn't care about you. Any of you. Humanity is a disgusting welt infecting this world."

Violet eased Rin and herself backwards a step, "Sorry. About before. I got... Upset."

"I comprehend it." The goddess shrugged, "I would also be quite concerned if I found out the partner I was... Attempting to... Eugh. Did it have to be a woman? You are disgusting, Violet. Almost as bad as Arcana. Fleeing your destiny."

She cringed, "You really were looking for a friend and just stumbled onto Rin?"

"Hardly. I went searching for the children of the divine. Specifically those who could never outshine my Arcana." The goddess shrugged, "This useless mundane fit that bill quite well. She could not outshine a pet rock."

Rin crossed her arms, "You're a bitch."

"Twice. In as many weeks." The goddess said in shock, "First that scum my daughter has claimed, and now... It is difficult for me to choose to serve your kind, at times. Yet, there is hope beyond your hatred of this Council, Violence. That I believe I owe to you, considering your hand in protecting this world."

Violet swallowed nervously as she slowly edged Rin behind her back, knowing she couldn't protect her. "Hope?"

"You have yet to tell this mundane as to the fullness of your own family tree. It would be worth it, to see how she adapts to the strangeness." Astraea shrugged and turned, "As for this Council... I hope that they clearly understand that a hand raised against the Violence or this mundane is likely to... Irritate me. One of them is my niece, after all."

She reappeared in Rin's house, dismissed by a wave from the goddess.

---

Violet finished her third glass of water, trembling and shaking as blood continued to run down her face. She'd given up trying to staunch the flow, and just tried to use the towel to catch the steady flow.

Rin picked up the glass and refilled it, before returning to sit beside her at the table and anxiously wait.

"Well... That was crap." Violet mumbled, spraying blood as she did. "Sorry you... Saw me like that. And this."

The young woman shrugged, "Violet... I don't even know what to call you. Feels almost like I should call you mum. But that'd be weird."

"Too weird. Don't." She took a deep breath, looking up at the figure that Astraea had given her blessing for her to date. Reminded her that things got plain weird in magical circles.

Rin sighed, "You sure we don't need to take you to a hospital? At least they could hook you up to a blood bag. Or six."

"Yes." Violet said firmly, and then looked down, considering how to explain her own family tree. It might be worth spelling it out to Rin. "Um... You got mad at me. For banishing the witches earlier."

"That was before I met a literal god." Rin replied, "Right now... I don't know if I really have the skills to work out what is right and wrong and in-between. I'm out of my depth."

"Wanna know about... Your family?"

Rin glared, "Is this about what Astra... I don't know how to say her name. What she said?"

"Kinda." Violet shrugged, "Also sort of... I know who you are, now. So ask. I'll tell you everything I can. We can't exactly meet that side of the family, but I can try and get in touch if you really want."

"Yeah... Is this going to confuse me more?"

"Yes."

Rin rubbed her temples, "Take my mind off the red fountain in front of me. Go for it."

"You... Are the daughter of Dawn and I." Violet sprayed, and then sipped at her water, "That much is simple. It is also where simple ends. Dawn... Dawn is Eos' daughter. Grandma Eos, right?"

"Yeah. Remember that much."

"Eos gave birth to herself."

Rin squeezed her eyes shut, "Come again?"

"It's not that rare, when it comes to the divine. Not completely." Violet mumbled sheepishly, knowing she was building up to the big bombshells. "Eos also screwed both Dawn, her daughter, and Dawn's father, Dyeus. She's married to both. The gods aren't monogamous."

"So... Eos... What? Willed herself into the world?" Rin cocked her head.

"No, she literally gave birth to herself. And yes, that can be confusing. It's better to just sort of... Accept it." Violet shrugged. "Dyeus is also married to his other daughter, Astraea."

"I am already so confused." Rin laughed weakly, and tried to sketch out the family tree on a scrap of paper. Before screwing it up and tossing it at the bin. "I am assume you're going somewhere with this."

Violet nodded, and her voice went hoarse, "Dawn's also my mother. Not that I knew it, until long after she abandoned me... I was a war orphan. That's what I grew up knowing."

Rin cringed, "Wait. Hold up. That means that... Dawn is both my mother... And my grandmother... And my great-grandmother is also my great-great grandmother."

"Yes, but actually no."

Rin glared at her, "What the fuck do you mean it's more complicated!?"

"Dawn is your mother. But she's technically also your great-grandmother, not grandmother." Violet winced, "Um... I... I had two mothers, just like you, Rin. Dawn, obviously, and... Uh... Me."

"What?" The woman stared at her blankly.

"Dawn and I gave birth to me. Like I said... It... Isn't that unusual when it comes to the divine. It's something that happens. It isn't easy to explain, it is just something that... Is." Violet shrugged sheepishly.

"Like a past life? You ended up..."

Violet just tiredly shook her head, "First time I existed, was when I gave birth to myself. I remember it. Both parts. Being simultaneously born and giving birth. Worst experience. Would not recommend."

Rin burst out laughing, "No wonder the gods don't give a damn who is related to who."

"There's also the divine genetics that can't break down. So they don't really need to care about family rules." Violet shrugged, "Wasn't that long ago when marrying your cousin was the norm."

"So, you're technically my mother... And my grandmother..."

Violet nodded glumly, "Don't our life, suck?"

"I don't know. I think it just tells me that your family is what you make of it. I'm never going to really understand any of this bullshit. Apparently my birth was mildly magical. That's about it." Rin said softer, "That and you're dying. Feels even worse, now. And you are still bleeding. Seriously, did someone leave a tap running?"

The witch laughed, "Yeah. I overdid it a bit. So... You don't completely hate me for what... I can do... When I get angry?"

"Who the hell am I to judge you?" Rin shrugged, "You were born into a world at war. I can't even picture that. You were a friggin' Nazi hunter. You had a one-night stand with a friggin' god. No part of my life has given me the experience to judge you on any of that."

"Nazi-witch hunter." Violet corrected quietly, "But... Yeah. I'm never ever going to talk about that bit of my past. Ever."

Rin scooted her chair closer, and pulled her hair back and out of the way, dabbing gently at Violet's face. "I think... To me... You'll just always be the irritating witch who decided to make herself a part of my life. But... You do have to give me one thing."

"Anything. Always."

"Well, two things. Never call me your daughter again. It makes my skin crawl." Rin frowned at her, "Second... I want to know how sick you are. Or whatever you want to call it. I need to know. I don't care if it's personal. Not anymore."

Violet's shoulders collapsed, "Okay. You deserve that, at least. Uh... Where to... Witches are people born with something different about us. We have a second thing which looks sort of like an entire nervous system. That's called a magical matrix. Mine is intact. It governs what magic you can do, how much magic you can draw on. Most people have a natural upper limit. I don't. Chelsea doesn't, either. We are rare."

"Okay... So... You're a powerful witch, then? Right?"

"Right." Violet nodded, and finished her glass of water. She continued speaking as Rin got her another, "Chelsea damages her matrix though, because she can't control it. Which makes her leak magic out around her. That's not what is wrong with me. The entire matrix is controlled by a section of the brain which you weren't born with."

Rin smiled weakly, "So no magic for me, then. What do people keep calling me... Mundane?"

"That part of my brain is... Fried." Violet said bitterly. "Sorta like a stroke. My brain tries to work around it, so I can still use magic, but it can't do it properly. So every time I touch magic, I damage my brain further."

"Holy fuck." Rin breathed in sharply, "Can't you... Stop?"

"Can you turn off your nervous system?" Violet raised an eyebrow.

"Oh."

She shrugged tiredly, "Yeah. Surgery isn't an option. Neither is magical healing. What happened to me was a... Spell rebound. The spell I used to try and save my student snapped back at me. Some witches die instantly. Some go insane. Others survive. I'm one of the lucky few to die slowly."

Rin put an arm around her shoulders, "That's all... Kinda helpful... But I was more meaning -"

"Deadlines." Violet regretted the phrasing as soon as she said it. "I know. I was... Building up to it. I've got a brain problem. There's every chance that the next time I feel stressed out, I'll die instantly. It's a single flare-up from ending everything. But on the off-chance it doesn't... It... It..."

Rin rubbed her back gently, "Hey. Take your time. I'm right here. And I haven't run for the hills."

"Like that'd stop me finding you again." Violet teased lightly, and sniffled, feeling the flow finally beginning to stop. She tilted her head back slightly, and reached around for her handkerchief. "I... Two... Maybe... Three... Weeks."

The woman immediately punched her in the shoulder, "Asshole! You've only got like a fortnight left, and what? You were going to leave me some note? Hey, sorry, but I'm dead now?"

"I was hoping to have moved in by that point. I dunno. I didn't exactly think any of this through, Rin!" Violet said defensively. "Or did you not understand what drawn to you means? I've got a slave collar around my neck and the chain is in your hand. I can't... See you sad. I hate the way you're looking at me right now."

Rin leaned forward and pecked her cheek, "That so? I was thinking you need another bath. Which you'll probably turn red. So maybe that's a bad idea. Also don't feel like watching vampire movies anymore."

"You wore PJs to stand in front of the witch Council." Violet grinned, ear-to-ear, "Not even a twinge of fear. But movies can make you jump."

"Hard to be afraid of things you don't understand." Rin rolled her eyes. "But for now... You stay sitting here. I'm going to make us lunch. My turn to treat you. Because that's what I want to do."

"Okay."

Rin glared at her, "You hate it when other people cook for you, don't you?"

"Pretty much." Violet shrugged, "Fast food is fine, because of course it's going to be crap. But... I won't say anything. I promise."

The woman smiled devilishly, "Well, if you do slip up, I can just call you a grumpy old grandma."

"You're a horrible person." Violet laughed.

---

She fumbled around tiredly and picked up the buzzing phone. It was in her pocket, which wasn't that surprising. Finding herself lying on the floor however, was.

"Violet..." She mumbled.

A slightly stressed voice came down the line, "This is the Emergency Response Team, we've detected an unusual spike in demonic energy in your area. We're going to need for you to stay calm and -"

"Rin!" She shouted, dropping the phone and launching to her feet. Or at least, she tried to get to her feet. Instead her head cracked against the floor as she collapsed.

Her hands slipped on the slick ground as she tried to get up again. The ground was covered in blood. Not just a pool of it from some nosebleed, but the entire floor seemed to be covered in a paperthin surface of the sticky and slippery material.

Some kind of haunting, then.

How the hell had anything managed to pierce the spells she had put up around Rin's house? It had to have come in somehow... A possession... Or it had help.

"Rin!" She yelled again, desperately looking around the room. The walls were lined with pulsing flesh, a simple illusion designed to freak you out. Not one that can actually do any damage, though.

If her head didn't hurt as much as it did, Violet might be able to piece together what kind of demon it was. Right now, she could leave it to whatever exorcist the emergency services sent her way.

Her only concern was finding one small and frightened girl who didn't even know that demons existed.

Violet hadn't even introduced the girl to the idea that the things she knew weren't the only things out there in the world. She hadn't seen the need, thinking she could protect her from that world.

That the time they had would probably be all the exposure to the magical world that Rin would ever had. So she wouldn't need to explain about all the random crap that was out there.

She'd picked a fight with the Council.

Violet had been naive enough to believe they'd take Astraea's threat seriously, giving it the respect that it deserved.

"Fuck this demonic bullshit." She tried to shake off the fuzziness in her head, and slammed her palms together with a flash of blue fire. She seemed to go still for a moment, apart from one spasming muscle pulling at her nose.

"Mother dearest, who knows my name, and knows my plight, see what I see. Let me stand at your left hand, lend me your strength, and your insight. Let truth light this fucking world." Violet commanded, cringing as a single droplet rolled down her cheek from her eye. It wasn't salt water.

There was a momentary scream and shaking of the entire world as the demon fled in terror in front of her.

Violet saw Rin, cowering in a corner of the room. The woman was catatonic, unable to witness the world or anything that was around her. Shoved out of her own mind by the force of her terror.

The witch ran over, and slid to her side, wrapping her arms around her, "Fuck. Oh, fuck. What did they do to you, Rin?"

She brushed at her hair, pushing it out of the frightened woman's face. Rin's eyes darted around erratically, unseeing. Lost in whatever nightmare the demon had personally written to torture her.

The front door crashed down as the emergency team finally arrived. Violet waved over the medic as the others went hunting for the terror. The man crouched and looked into Rin's eyes, "Any idea what it was?"

"Poltergeist of some kind." Violet shrugged, "Haunting. Had a thing for flesh and blood. Separated us with an illusion."

He glanced at the blood on her cheek, "How about you? In one piece?"

"Unrelated injury."

He accepted it without much fuss, "Your friend here is trapped, still. Signs of Lamstead's Encumberment. The safest way to help her is to send someone in to wake her up. A dreamwalker. We need to get her -"

"I'm a dreamwalker." Violet interrupted.

The medic looked at her in surprise, "That's a pretty specialised field -"

"My name is Violet Waterhouse, kid. If I say I can do it, it's usually safer not to disagree with me." She cut him off again.