Ashes to Ashes Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“Yeah, we got quite a bit accomplished,” she said. “So, have you decided how much you’re going to donate to the Party this year?”

“I have,” he said. “And I’ve made a couple executive decisions.”

“Oh?” she asked. “Like what?”

“Well, for starters, I’ve decided not to donate anything to the Party,” he said. April sat up suddenly, shocked.

“What?” she asked. “Why not?”

“For starters,” John began, “the Party is flush with funds. Besides, all they’ll do is use it to promote candidates who fuck around on their spouses and screw their constituents,” he said, looking straight at April. Her face turned white at that remark. “So I’ve decided to use it to start up a day care at the company for employees with children.”

“What gave you the idea to do that?” she asked.

“You did, actually,” he said. “I’ve heard you say time and again that companies should do more for their employees. So that’s what I’m doing. It’ll make them happy and more productive, which will make me more happy.”

“Oh,” she said quietly. “What else?”

“I’ve taken a hard look at our finances,” he said. “We’re actually doing better than I thought. My retirement fund is way up this year and we’ve managed to sock away quite a bit in savings. So I decided to give myself a 30 percent pay cut.”

“WHAT?!” April shrieked. “You decided that without consulting me?”

“First of all,” John said, “it was your idea. How many times have I heard you say on the campaign trail that CEOs need to give up some of what they make to benefit their employees? I’m just following your lead. I could use that 30 percent to bump up some salaries or get better health care for the employees. Secondly, you’re not an officer of the company so you really have no say in the matter. What? Are you afraid to lead by example?”

“Of course not, John,” she said. “It’s just that we usually discuss things like this first.”

“What can I say?” John asked. “These are unusual times. Besides, the house is paid for, your fancy new car is paid for. The kid’s education is all paid for. You get a pretty good salary from your job as a member of Congress. Hell, if you retired right now, you’d get a hefty retirement package. We could both retire right now and spend the rest of our lives traveling around the world. C’mon, what do ya say? Let’s do it while we’re still young enough to really enjoy it. Let’s just put all of this crap behind us and go play together. Maybe take a romantic cruise and see all the things we’ve only talked about.”

“But the campaign...” April began.

“Screw the campaign,” John said. “We’ve put our marriage on the back burner long enough. Announce your retirement tomorrow morning. Tell the world you want to spend time with family. Politicians do it all the time. I can promote George into my place and have him up and going in a week’s time. Let’s do it, babe. Just you and me against the world.”

“Why don’t you just join me in Washington?” April asked. “There’s plenty of room at the apartment. I’d love to have you there with me.”

“And do what?” John asked. “Be your house-husband or your butler? Watch you fly off to God-knows-where with God-knows-who doing God-knows-what? Besides, you know I hate Washington. The place is a goddamn swamp and it’s hot as hell in the summer. And the rents there are outrageous.”

“John, what’s gotten into you?” April asked.

“I feel like our marriage is dying,” John said. “And I’ve heard some rumors that really bother me.”

“So that’s it,” she said. “You heard rumors. From who? Those two kids at the fundraiser tonight?”

“Right now they’re just rumors,” John said. “They don’t have any definitive proof, yet. Don’t you think it’s best to get in front of that and cut it off at the pass?”

“John, I don’t know what you’ve heard, but trust me, all of those rumors are just fake news, put out by partisan hacks working for the opposition,” she said. “You know how this game is played. Do you honestly think I’d cheat on you? Huh?”

“Lately, I don’t think I know you at all. And, yeah, I am concerned that you’ve been unfaithful to me,” John said. April looked shocked.

“John, I know I’ve been a bitch lately, and I’m sorry for that. I love you and only you. Don’t you believe me?” she asked.

“Frankly, I don’t know what to believe,” he said. “The way you’ve been treating me these last few months makes me wonder.”

“Well, I do love you, John,” she said. “C’mon, let me show you,” she added, rubbing his crotch. John pulled away from her, shaking his head.

“Not tonight,” he said. “I’m really not in the mood.” Disappointed, she laid back down. John turned off his light and laid down.

“I have to leave in the morning,” she said. “We’ve been called back to Washington.”

“Oh?” John asked. “For what?”

“Haven’t you heard the news?” she asked. “Judy Chastain was arrested and we need to elect a new Speaker.” He had heard something about it on the news, but hadn’t paid a whole lot of attention. From what he heard, the First Lady had also been arrested -- something to do with an alleged coup attempt on the new president.

“So how long are you going to be gone this time?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” she said. “Maybe a week. Ten days, tops. I leave early in the morning.”

“Whatever,” John said, turning his back to her. He really didn’t know what to believe, but he refused to have sex with her after she had been with Doug.

“Can I at least have a kiss?” she asked. John turned back over and kissed her on the cheek before laying back down.

“Good night,” he said. April turned on her side, tears falling down her cheek. Neither one of them got much sleep that night, but John finally dozed off and was sound asleep when April got up the next day. She showered and dressed, wondering how much her husband knew. Grabbing her bags, she took one last look at John as he laid on his side of the bed asleep. Her eyes watery, she gave him a kiss before she left.

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly. “I really do love you.” After she left, John got up, showered, shaved and dressed. He went downstairs and made himself a pot of coffee. April left a note for him on the kitchen counter next to the pot.

“My dearest John,” the letter began. “Please believe that I love you more than life itself. I’ll call you when I get to the DC apartment. I miss you already. Your loving wife, April.” She ended the note with a series of X’s and O’s. He smiled at the hypocrisy. How could she say she loves me while she’s out fucking Doug and God knows who else, he asked himself.

He had a lot to do that day, so he headed out to the office. He spoke to Jenny, his receptionist, when he got there, telling her to screen his calls as he would be in and out a lot during the day. His phone buzzed, letting him know he had a call. He looked at the screen and saw it was from Jack.

“Hello,” he said, answering the call.

“Mr. Sullivan, this is Jack Colton. We spoke last night at the fundraiser,” the voice at the other end said.

“Yes, I remember,” John said. “What do you have?”

“Well, we got some pretty incriminating video for you if you want it,” Jack said. “We also know what room they normally use. Turns out old Doug uses the same room for all of his affairs.” How many women was this guy screwing, John asked himself.

“Alright, send me everything you have,” John said.

“Okay, it’s coming over now,” Jack said. “Is your wife heading back to Washington?”

“Yes, she is,” John said.

“Okay, we’ll be going back as well. We’ll hold this for now, but we can’t sit on it forever,” Jack said.

“I understand,” John said. “Just work with me for a week or so, okay? I have something in mind.”

“Will do,” Jack said. “We’ll keep you in the loop.”

“Thanks,” John said, ending the call. An email hit his account and he opened it, noticing the video included as an attachment. He opened it up and his heart sank as he watched his wife enter a room with Doug, her arm around his waist. The video then changed, showing the two having sex. It looked as though the video was taken through a window in a room located at an adjacent hotel. The quality wasn’t that great, but it was enough that he could recognize April on her back, with Doug pounding her pussy.

He saw enough and decided to call his attorney, Mark Green.

“Hey, buddy, what’s up?” Mark asked when he answered the phone.

“I need to see you, this morning if possible,” John said.

“Of course,” Mark said. “What’s going on?”

“I really don’t want to say over the phone,” John said.

“Alright,” Mark said. “I’m clear until about 10. You want to come over now?”

“Sure,” John said. “I’ll be right over.”

“Good,” Mark said. “I’ll have fresh coffee for you when you get here.” John ended the call and drove to Mark’s office. He was ushered in as soon as he arrived. Mark stood up from behind his desk and the two men shook hands. He handed John a cup of coffee and the two men sat back down.

“So,” Mark said. “What brings you here so early in the morning? You want to set up a re-match at the golf course?”

“No,” John said. “This isn’t a social visit. I need your professional services.”

“Oh?” Mark asked. “What’s going on?”

“You still do family law, right?” John asked.

“Yeah, I do,” Mark said. “Are you looking to get a divorce?”

“Unfortunately,” John said. He pulled out his phone and played the video he received that morning. Mark’s eyes widened as he watched the two cheaters.

“I’m so sorry, John,” he said when the video ended. “I never would have expected this from April.”

“I’ve been told she may be involved with as many as five men and there’s rumors that she’s traded sexual favors for endorsements and campaign contributions,” John said.

“Do you have any proof of that?” Mark asked. John shook his head.

“No,” he said. “Like I said, it’s all rumor at this point.”

“I’m curious,” Mark said. “How did you get this video?”

“I got it from a couple of bloggers I met at the party fundraiser last night,” John said. “They’ve been working on this as a story for their site and they’re the ones who told me about the rumors.”

“I see,” Mark said. “Look, as damning as this is, and it IS damning, it’s not going to make much difference. This is a no-fault state, so it really doesn’t matter. Maybe we can use it in case she decides to fight the divorce. But even then, I’m not sure this can be used, legally.”

“So what do I do?” John asked.

“Are you absolutely certain this is the path you want to take?” Mark asked. “There’s no way you can get past this?”

“There’s no way I can see past this,” John said. “April knows how I feel about infidelity.”

“What are your expectations?” Mark asked.

“I want a fair settlement,” John said. “This is probably going to hurt her chances for re-election, but she can always retire.”

“Tell you what,” Mark said. “Let me put my investigators on this and let’s see what they come up with. I’ll go ahead and start the paperwork. Where is April now? Is she still at home?”

“No,” John said. “She left for Washington this morning. She’s supposedly staying at her apartment here.”

“Of course,” Mark said. “I heard Congress had been called back from their recess for an emergency session. They’re supposed to chose a new Speaker of the House and I heard the First Lady has been arrested as well. Any idea when April will be back?”

“She said a week or so, ten days at most,” John said. Mark nodded his head.

“Alright, that gives us some time to work,” he said. “Let me get my folks on this and I’ll start the ball rolling. Do me a favor and don’t do anything stupid, got it?”

“I got it,” John said. “Nothing stupid. When can you have her served?”

“Maybe after she gets back,” Mark said. “Will that work?”

“Yeah,” John said. “That’ll give me time to flesh out what I’m going to do.” John thanked his friend and wrote a check for the retainer. He headed back to the office, his mind occupied with thoughts of revenge.

Shortly after returning to his office, he got a call from April.

“Hi, babe, I made it,” she said.

“Good,” he said. “How was the flight?”

“It was okay,” she said. “It’s crazy here, so I don’t know when I’ll be able to call.”

“Call when you can,” he said.

“I will,” she said. “Listen, I was thinking about what you said last night. Maybe after the election we can take a long vacation. What do you think?”

“That’s not until November,” he said.

“Well, maybe we can go somewhere warm,” she said. “You’ve always wanted to see Australia.”

“I’ll think about it,” he said.

“Good,” she said. “Remember, I love you!”

“Yeah,” he said. “Me too.” He ended the call, and wondered what, or who, she would be doing that night. It didn’t take long for him to find out.

Two days later, he got a call from Mark, who said his investigators had hit pay dirt. John went to visit his friend. When he arrived, there was another man in a suit with a folder. He handed John the folder.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Sullivan,” he said. “You may want to wait until you get home to look at those.” He handed John a flash drive. “There’s video on that in case you want to see for yourself.”

John’s heart fell as he looked at the pictures, which showed April with five different men. One photo showed her with two men, an older man plugging her from behind while she sucked off a younger man. John recognized the setting -- it was her apartment.

“Who are these men?” John asked.

“The older man is Senator Jenkins and the other man is his chief of staff,” the investigator said. John knew that Sen. Jenkins was a powerful member of the Senate Banking Committee. “We’ve also identified the other men as well. Mark has the information.”

“What about the claims of sex for contributions or endorsements?” John asked.

“Well, we were never able to conclusively prove that, however, we did see something pass between your wife and a powerful union boss an hour after this photo was taken,” the investigator said, pointing to another picture of April riding a large, balding man. John had seen the man on television and recognized him as a union representative. He shook his head, tears falling down his cheeks.

“Damn you, April,” he said quietly.

“Our men will continue the surveillance until she leaves if you want,” the investigator said. “We’ll forward that to your attorney. Those photos are yours. Do with them what you wish. Mark has the originals. We’ve also included a report of her activities.”

“Do what you need to do,” John said. He looked at Mark. “Go after the others as well. They need to pay for this.” Mark considered his friend for a few seconds before speaking.

“It’s your dime,” he said. “But speaking as your friend, maybe you need some time to cool off first. I know this is a shock to you.”

“Go for the jugular,” John said. “We can always negotiate afterward.”

“Okay,” Mark said. “But remember, don’t do anything stupid. I don’t want to see you hurt any more than you already are.” The investigator spoke up next.

“Mr. Sullivan, I want you to think about this for a moment,” he said. “We know what’s been going on. We have dates, times and the places where it all took place. What we don’t have is motivation. For all we know, she’s being blackmailed into this. My man on the scene noted a spot in one of the videos where Senator Jenkins said something to indicate he has something on her. If we can get the answer to that, maybe it will explain all of her activity.” John shook his head.

“Maybe,” he said. “But that’s no excuse. She could’ve come to me at any time and I would’ve moved heaven and earth to help her through it. But she didn’t.”

John understood what the investigator was trying to do, but he also knew that his marriage was dead. And that thought gave him the seed of an idea. He thanked them both for their work and prepared to leave.

“Be careful, John,” Mark said. “I’ll keep you updated on my progress.”

“Thanks,” John said as he walked out the door. He drove straight home, where he immersed himself in a bottle of Jack Daniels, hoping that would numb him enough to look at all the photos and read the entire report. Sitting in his darkened home office, he buried his head in his hands as hot, bitter tears streamed down his face.

As he sobbed, he considered the idea that came to him earlier. The more he thought about it, the better it sounded. Perhaps, he thought, that would wake April up. It wasn’t the “burn the bitch” type of revenge he had read about on some of those Internet sites, but, he thought, it would be a fitting end to a now-dead marriage.

He also knew that he had a lot to do in order to pull it off and not a whole lot of time to make it happen. Pulling out a sheet of paper, he made a checklist and began making calls.

John was quite busy over the next few days putting everything together. Some of what he needed cost a bit more than he initially realized, but at that point, he didn’t care. Mark smiled when John told him what he had in mind.

“That’s actually a good idea,” Mark said. “I wish I’d have thought of that.”

John reached out to Jack and Robert and told them what he had in mind. They loved the idea and promised to be present when it happened.

April never called during that time, which suited John just fine. Six days after April left, John called his wife to see when she would be coming home.

“Oh, hi,” April said when she answered the phone. John noticed she sounded as though she was out of breath, probably from getting fucked.

“Hi,” John said. “I was just wondering when you were coming home.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said. “I’m going to be stuck here for a couple more days. We have some hearings going on and things are just crazy right now.” John knew this was a lie as he had learned from watching CSPAN that the House had selected a new Speaker and had already adjourned for the rest of the recess.

“I thought the House had already adjourned,” he said.

“Well, technically, but some of us have to stay behind a bit longer. Is that okay?” she asked.

“Do I have a choice?” John said. “You do know our 25th anniversary is coming up in just a few days. Are you going to miss that as well?”

“Um, no, I should be there,” she said.

“Well then, how about if I come to Washington and bring you back?” he asked.

“No, don’t do that,” she said. “I’m really busy right now.” Right, he thought.

“Can you at least give me a day or two notice so I can get reservations set up?” he asked.

“Sure, I’ll call you,” she said.

“When?” he asked.

“Um, I’ll call in two days, promise,” she said.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yes, of course,” she said.

“I hope so, because you missed our anniversary last year,” he said. “This is our silver anniversary and I have things planned out.”

“Like what?” she asked.

“Well, I thought about having a special get-together,” he said. “Wouldn’t you like your constituents to see you celebrating your anniversary?”

“Ooh, that’s a good idea,” she said. “Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow at the latest, promise.” John smiled. Of course, she’d like to have everyone see her celebrating her anniversary. This was just too easy.

“I look forward to hearing from you,” he said.

“Okay, sweetie,” she said. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Love you!”

“Me too,” he said, looking at the most recent set of photos the investigators had sent back. “Bye.”

True to her word, April called the next day to give John her itinerary.

“I’ll be flying out the day after tomorrow,” she said. “I should be at the airport by 10:00 am and I’ll drive straight home.”

“Good,” John said. “I can’t wait to see you. I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you, too,” she said. “I gotta go now. Love you, see you in a couple days.”

“See you then. Bye,” John said, ending the call. He wondered if April even noticed he didn’t say that he loved her.

April had noticed, and she noticed the day before. She noticed the changes in her husband, but thought it was just from the stress of his business. Oh well, she thought, she would put on a good face when she got home to him. She had been planning for some time to put an end to what had been going on for a little more than a year and this seemed like as good a time as any. She only hoped it wasn’t too late.