Ask

Story Info
A romantic story.
2.7k words
4.18
8k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Serene put down her quill and leant back in her seat, allowing the words to wash over her. Had she said too much? Or perhaps too little? She didn't even know where Aquila was, let alone how she would ever be able to send her letters. She just wrote them hoping that somehow the words would reach her friend. She wanted her guidance so much. She wanted to know what to do.

A knock at the door brought her back to her senses. She quickly turned over her papers and rose from the chair, brushing her cheeks and eyes.

"Just a moment," she called.

She crossed the sitting room, towards the front door, quickly unlocking the latch and opening it wide.

"Brak, to what do I owe this visit?"

Brak smiled at her as he leaned against the doorframe to her apartment. He was handsome as ever. His burgundy eyes cheerful, his chiselled jaw smiling towards her. His black and red hair was arranged perfectly, a green scarf tied around the scar upon his neck. He was wearing his Captaincy garb, weapons glinting in the sunlight streaming from behind him. He must have come straight from work.

"I wondered what you planned to eat this evening? I find myself too lazy to cook and in need of someone to dine with me so I have an excuse not to."

"Surely you have many ladies you could ask. I saw a stream of them watching you only yesterday as you patrolled the streets."

Brak sighed.

"Company that would not drive me insane is so much more preferable. And... agh. I'm out of excuses other then that I want to eat in your company. Is it a crime to want to sit with someone above all others?"

Serene found herself blushing. Her breath caught in her chest, her body stirred.

"You really do flatter and charm too easily."

"And you blush so beautifully it is a temptation one cannot resist."

Her heart fluttered.

"Fine!" She blurted out, raising her arms in defeat. "I will come and eat with you, but stop being so cruel to me."

"Since when has flattery been classed as cruel?"

"Since... since I can't handle it. Come in, I'll change."

Brak smiled warmly and followed her into the house. He removed his spear and leant it against the sofa before strolling over to the window to look out at the street below.

"Where were you planning on eating? So I know what to wear," Serene called as she leant around the door to her bedroom.

"Where else than the ladies favourite," he proclaimed, turning to smile at her. "I presume you would like Fian's? Last time we ate there I could barely drag you away."

Serene huffed.

"I'll go wherever you want to. It is you who wants to go out."

"Then I want to go to Fian's and think you should wear that dark green dress Liet gave you."

"And I'm supposed to dress to your liking?" Serene teased.

She heard Brak laugh as she moved back into her room. She took the green dress from her wardrobe. It was beautiful. It had off the shoulder sleeves, a slack fitting but with a tight waistline, a slight flowing trail behind. Liet's mother was truly a genius with fabric and Serene had never owned something so luxurious until now. In fact, everything she now had was luxury. Her apartment was beautiful, pristine and perfect. Her father's likewise. She had a good job, enough money to indulge herself. And even the beginnings of friendships.

She dressed quickly, brushing a comb through her hair and placing flat slip on shoes on before returning to the sitting room. Brak was stood by the fireplace. A small fire kindled as Brak twisted his hands, manoeuvring the flames into different flickering shapes.

At the sound of her soft footfalls he looked up, the flames dropping into normal embers as his attention shifted to her.

"You look beautiful." He smiled.

Serene looked down at her dress, a glow beginning to burn her cheeks once more.

"Thank you."

Brak watched her as if in contemplation before returning his attention to the flame. The flames rose up from the fire and began to thicken, forming a shape. Serene moved closer, her intrigue kicking in as she stared at the bright light. As she neared, Brak brought the flames towards his hands as they formed into the shape of a rose. He gently took hold of the rose's stem and the flames stopped their dance, solidifying into a ruby like gem. He held the gem rose out to her.

Tentatively, Serene took hold of the stem, its surface still warm but solid. She wrapped both her hands around it, marvelling at the rose's beauty.

"It's wonderful."

"It will stay solid for as long as I live," Brak explained.

"Do you plan on not living anytime soon?"

Brak smiled and waved his hand across the hearth. The flames died down instantly.

"I'll do my to not die. Shall we?" He held his arm up for her.

Placing the rose on the mantelpiece Serene took his arm and together they walked out into the evening.

The streets were quiet. Those who were out walked with silent steps, seemingly not wanting to disturb the calm of the evening. Serene hung to Brak's arm. His heat radiated through the fabric of his shirt. Serene could feel his tight muscles under her grasp. As they walked onlookers turned to peer at them, causing a blush to rise to Serene's cheeks. She thought she knew what they were thinking. Brak was a very eligible man, and yet he was wasting his time relaxing with a woman like her. She wasn't from the same background as him. She wanted to make it obvious that herself and Brak were just friends, but her heart wouldn't let her. Just the thought of that being the case made her heart sink a little.

'I can't have more. Stop it.'

The restaurant was all prepared for their arrival. Brak had obviously booked a table before even checking if she was free. They passed a pleasant evening chatting and eating together. Serene let Brak try everything from her plate and her from his. It was fully dark by the time they left the restaurant.

"Thank you for treating me, but you really should let me pay sometimes you know. We should at least alternate," Serene chided.

Brak waved her concerns away with his free hand.

"I asked for your company. It's only fair that I pay for you."

"You make it sound like I am a prostitute you could buy time with."

"If that were the case do you think I wouldn't spend every last penny on you?"

Serene blushed.

"Most men would deny my being a prostitute, or protect my honour."

"If I were like most men you wouldn't give me the time of day. It's only because I'm so charming and funny that you'll have anything to do with me," Brak joked.

Serene half giggled but her teeth clenched, her muscles tightening.

Brak's pace slowed as he turned towards her.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, of course. Why wouldn't it be?"

Brak skipped ahead of her and spun round so they were facing each other. His eyes studied her face closely and Serene found herself trying to look away. His hand came up to her cheek and turned her face back to his. Her eyelids lay down as she stared at the ground between them. She saw his feet move closer to her. Felt the heat of his skin closing on her face. Her cheeks began to burn beneath his hands. Her heart fluttered.

"You're not ill or anything?" Brak asked. His hand moved towards her forehead.

Serene sighed heavily, her muscles becoming less tense as her shoulders sagged.

"No, just a little warm."

Brak released her face and stepped back.

"Sorry. I'll try and cool my skin down."

He held his arm back out for her and she took it, moving alongside him with her eyes cast down.

They walked in relative silence, only a few general comments leaving either of their lips. The sound of music wafted through the air and Serene felt Brak's pace quicken.

"Music. Want to check it out?" He asked, voice higher with excitement.

"Only if you promise you'll play for me."

Brak lay his hand upon hers as she held onto his bicep. She looked up at him.

"Remember, all you have to do is ask."

'Anything...'

Serene smiled and together they followed the sound of the music. A band was playing in the park bandstand, people danced around them merrily, skipping and spinning. Brak immediately took both Serene's hands and swung her round in front of him. Taking hold of her waist they joined the circles of couples dancing around the stand.

Serene laughed and swung dizzily. She could barely hang on to his hand and shoulder as Brak spun them faster and faster around the circle. As the music ended she found herself almost unable to stand and fell into him. His chest was flush against her cheek. His breathe rose and fell with her own.

Brak laughed and helped stand her up, whilst refusing to let go of her waist and hand.

"Is that Captain Dragonai?" A member of the band called down to them.

Serene turned towards the bandstand and pushed herself away from Brak's chest. Her lungs heaving with her exertion.

"It is," Brak called.

The crowd gasped around them and began to clear a way to the bandstand.

"Will you play with us, sir? It would be a great honour?"

Brak looked to Serene, a smile across his face.

"Only if this beautiful lady will allow it and is not left alone to mourn the loss of my company," he declared to the circle around them.

Immediately a mass of hands rose into the air offering to dance. Both men and women alike began to enclose upon them.

"You'll be alright if I go and play?" Brak whispered, pulling her in close so that no-one around them could hear.

Serene smiled.

"You promised me a song. How can you give me one if I prevent you from going on stage?"

Brak exhaled in a small laugh. He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed it gently, leaving her skin tingling as he walked away from her towards the bandstand.

She danced and danced with both men and women. Each spinning her around the bandstand, telling her what an honour it was to meet her, how beautiful she looked in a Tespar dress. Serene thanked and agreed, laughed and spoke. But her eyes constantly moved back to the bandstand where Brak stood with a violin in hand.

He played so beautifully, his whole body moving with the piece. His eyes caught hers a few times, a bright smile across his face. She loved that smile.

Eventually, feet tired, Serene begged for a respite and stepped away from the bandstand to sit upon a park bench. She stared up at the sky, the starlight captivating. She thought she heard footsteps behind her and put her hands to the seat, preparing to turn when a face appeared above hers. Instantly bending down till their lips touched.

Serene gasped.

It was only a peck but it was enough to make her heart thunder. She jumped from the seat and spun round to see Brak smiling at her from the other side of the bench.

"Come on," he laughed, as he turned away from her. Beginning to walk down the path away from the park.

'Did he just?'

Was it a joke?

She jogged after Brak until they were walking side by side. Without looking to her he offered her his arm and she took it wordlessly.

As they returned to her apartment Brak stood by the door as she entered.

"Thank you for yet another enchanting evening, my lady."

"Tch, you know I'm not a lady, Brak."

"That all depends on who's looking, no?"

Serene smiled as she took hold of the door.

She should ask him why he had kissed her? What was he thinking? What was he doing?

But she couldn't. She was too scared. Embarrassed. She was giddy with the thought. She wanted him to do it again, to feel his lips against hers. But she didn't know what to do. What to say?

"Well, thank you for the food and company. It was a pleasant evening."

Brak smiled.

"Good night," she hesitated. Beginning to close the door.

"Good night," Brak replied as he moved away. Just as the door was about to close- "You didn't say thank you for the kiss."

Serene swung the door open once more but Brak was gone. Her heart thundered in her chest. She closed the door slowly and leant against it for a while, trying to compose herself.

The rose was still on the hearth. She picked it up tentatively in her hands. The gem was still warm to touch, as though it produced its own heat. She stroked a finger down its stem and felt an indentation.

Continuing to stroke the indent Serene made her way to her table and lit a candle, leaning the flower close to the flame. The rose had been inscribed. She scrunched up her eyes and looked closely, trying to find what was written.

'All you need do is ask.'

***

My dearest friend,

This torment increases ever so each day. From the accidental brush of the hand, a whisper too close to my ear. I do not know how to tell you of the ecstasy that I feel. My heart longs for him, Aquila. But I do not understand. He plays with me but tells me nothing. I don't know what he wants. If indeed he wants anything.

If only I had your guidance. I cannot tell my father. Even if I did I doubt he would understand. He is very fond of Brak. I have spent many an evening in his apartment with both men laughing together as though they were family. But then to somehow end up alone with Brak. In a tight corridor, his body brushing past mine or in the kitchen with his body lent against my own as he reaches for a cupboard.

What am I to do?

***

She sighed at her desk when there was a knock at the door. Serene brushed the hair from her face and placed a stone on top of her letter lest it blow away with the wind from the open window. She walked towards the door, floorboards creaking beneath her feet.

Upon the outdoor step lay a bunch of roses. She smiled a sad smile and lifted them to her chest, looking at the note sticking from the top.

'All you need do is ask.'

"What does that even mean?" Serene asked the empty air, her voice exasperated. She closed the door and turned back into the house.

Brak stood by her desk, leaning heavily on one arm as he read her letter.

"Brak, what? Don't read that!" Serene called, dropping the roses onto the sofa as she made a dive towards him.

Brak grabbed the letter and spun away from her, reading happily.

"Please, stop," Serene begged, her voice high and frightened.

Brak lowered the letter and looked at her, raising an eyebrow.

"I've never known someone take so long as you," he complained, stepping towards her.

"What do you mean?" Serene asked. She moved back but the table brushed against her.

She looked at it annoyed. Brak placed the letter back down on the table behind her before leaning on his hand, bending towards her. Serene could feel the heat rising from his body, feel his breath against her skin.

"All you need to do is ask," he muttered through gritted teeth as he leant upon his other hand, trapping her between his arms.

"What does that even mean?" Serene asked, her heart thundering in her chest.

His face was barely an inch from her own, his nose so close it could brush against hers in a moment.

"Please, just ask," Brak groaned, his voice beginning to sound husky.

Serene stared at him confused. She could feel one of his hands closing in on her spine, his fingers becoming entangled in the thread of her bodice. Her lips became dry and her face was set aflame.

'What is he doing?'

"What am I asking for?"

"For fucks sake!"