Assumed

Story Info
Assumption, short cut to pain.
9k words
4.27
2.1k
4
5
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
2Maria
2Maria
16 Followers

For the potential reader, please do not take this seriously, it is just fiction [badly written; it would be easy to turn off comments but gee wiz get real hey!]

To the immediate world they lived in, Mr Thom Smythe and Ms Monica Slater presented the perfect couple, loving, caring, united and unashamed of demonstrating it in private and public. They would be correct about that to, in fact just maybe they were too close, that though would be an outsiders opinion. Glue two pages of paper together and you would get an idea of just how close they were.

Their house, not ostentatious by any means, was if you were into housing and design perfect as far as a four-bedroom modern house could be. Very nicely appointed on a small hill with sweeping views of sea to the front of the abode, the suburbia that nestled in the shallow vale between the sea and it add rather than took away for the vista, open farmland lay directly behind their property normally planted out with sunflowers the end use of which was oil, something Monica had found out on one of her early morning walks with their then baby girl, Zoe, in the early days. It offered pleasing colour when in flower, growing or freshly tilled and privacy, a state law made sure no loss of farm land could take place, in their lifetimes anyway.

Their joy of having a child was obvious, while not spoilt she did get away with a little murder every now and again in the early years while growing up. Now at eighteen that latitude had long come to a halt, from the age of ten she was expected to contribute to the household, not by labour but doing well at school and conducting herself as a young woman demonstrating manners, grace and deportment.

Both Thom and Monica were evenly well salaried, he as an architect and she as a lawyer, his was based mostly on re-modelling and renovation and some newbuilds; she was involved in corporate law. Between them they had designed their house, her ideas made to work because Thom wanted them to. The master bedroom was away from the other three bedroom, namely Zoe's and two guest bedrooms, each had their own ensuite. By placing bathrooms between rooms, ensured a high level of privacy.

Their room was almost a separate wing, the entry had the walk-in robe to the left and the ensuite obviously to the right, with the bedroom behind that. The property fell away towards the farmland from the full triple glazed windows and attached veranda, offering them a private oasis from the rest of the house, by design it was almost soundproof, sound did leak in or out from about a metre from the door though, there was after all cost constraints. In the scheme of things who would care.

Of note, Thom and Monica were not childhood sweethearts, nor had they met at university. Thom had been sitting in the Modern Art Galleries café enjoying a coffee and cake after viewing the latest exhibition, it had been rather full, and Monica had taken advantage of the vacant space at his table.

"Anyone sitting here?" She'd asked, fully aware he was alone having seen him several times in the gallery and ascertaining he was on his own.

"No, help yourself," likewise he had notice Monica as she had made her way through the exhibition.

As both were already sure of themselves in the world and had obviously found each other attractive enough, there was no awkwardness in establishing conversation, name introductions soon followed and the ubiquitous question of 'what do you do for a living', after all in the dance of mating an equal footing is often the best chance of success.

The spark of attraction had already been ignited in the gallery's halls, the conversation was free and smooth, it did not need a formal invitation to dinner from either party. There was a seamless moving from the viewing to a casual stroll along the river across into the botanic gardens. One would expect a pregnant pause in the conversation somewhere along the way, it never happened.

Reluctantly they went to their own apartments following a long dinner, two more dates later saw them consummate their budding love. Both knew this was the one, the loneliness was banished finally. As they were both in the throes of paying off the mortgages on their apartments, made the decision to move in together. Leasing out his property as it would get the more revenue. The race was on to pay off both mortgages, time was ticking, and children were calling out to be made and born.

A quiet wedding, with family only, a lazy four-week honeymoon in Europe, took place before the year was out. With prudent budgeting they had paid off Monica's, now their apartment. With the tenant paying the remaining mortgage and their combined contribution, saw them owning outright both properties.

Monica confirmed the good news they were expecting in the fourth year. House hunting did not turn up any prospects for them. It was while Thom was working on a renovation that he came upon the current location of their forever home. The next day he and Monica stood on the hill that was to become their home and between them the roughed out a design and orientation.

Zoe's birth was not without difficulty for Monica, Thom shared his wife's pain and fully understood her statement of, "I don't think I could do that again."

They discussed adoption and fostering but, in the end, decided against that. Following the birth was the longest period they went without sex. Thom declined any oral or hand therapy, happy to survive on kisses and cuddles while Monica mended. He was positive they would pick up from where they had slowed down for the birth, although it was not that much of a slowdown. Monica enjoyed sex as much as Thom did. The television was so rarely turned on it was in mint condition!

As a result, Zoe became an only child, loved, treasured and adored. They almost spoilt her, well they most certainly did the first two years of her life; however, reason reasserted itself for them to become model parents. They were very careful of screen time and at no time did the tv ever become nanny. When they finally allowed screen time it was strictly monitored, of course once she entered school it all became hypothetical.

As a family, time was focused on Zoe, not all of it but a fair share of it. Still, as predicted by Thom their love life came roaring back, between them they had enough experience pre-meeting to ensure neither were prudish. Happy to invent things and read up on all sorts that two consenting adults could take part in. Having said that there were some mutual things that were never ever going to happen. They were surprised at how aligned their thinking was, extremely rigid, top of the list was the exclusion of all others; no sharing, no third or forth party in their love making. Their idea of love making include soft and tender to demanding and the occasional animal release after a frustrating day.

Their passion, love and above all respect for each other helped grow their lives as well as their daughters, even as an only child they balanced her upbringing with the right balance of wildness and discipline, the freedom allowed her to experiment, the discipline kept her from falling over the edge in freefall. In the main they knew where and what she was up to.

Zoe's latest request to update her bedroom and include a replacement bed; a queen please was her request. Thom counted with a king single; Monica sidestepped that request allowing Thom the pleasure of wrangling himself out of that debate.

Eventually Zoe offered an out for her beloved dad, "how about its my graduation present, besides I'll need a bed when I move from home," although at this stage in life she had no intention of that until she had finished university and even then maybe not, home life was too good. Zoe knew the hardships of bills, making your own dinners and shopping, far out weighed the thrill of independence.

Thom made no promises but did concede he would think about it, dad code for 'alright you win, just not right now,' a happy daughter winked at her mother while giving her father a crushing hug. It never crossed his mind there was another reason for the request after all dads just don't think that way.

A successful modern business was always in the need of expansion, neither Monica nor Thom's were any different. Thom had the tap on the shoulder first. As one of the senior members he was requested to undertake a trip interstate to try land a rather important government project. He discussed it with Monica, as so much would be placed on her shoulders; all of the house running, the care of Zoe along with the running her about and her own work. He was happy to turn the job down and even if needed move to a new firm. Reason prevailed though he was senior and in a few more years, they would be empty nesters, little did he know his daughters plans. They had plans for when that happened with work, they estimated five years, a case of early retirement and enjoy the rest of their lives together.

The first week was hard, that weekend went too quickly. The second was even harder, that weekend although it went too quickly as well also had the discussion of resigning and retiring earlier. The reason was the frustration of dealing with the slow grinding process of Government. Thom use to private practice where time was money, was now dealing with a death defying grinding slowness of thought. He was at wits end as was Monica, two days of affection instead of a steady diet of seven was not something either could sustain, something had to give.

In desperation, Thom placed a call to the lead of the Government delegation he was dealing with. He wanted to know what the holdup was.

"Yeah, Thom I know how you feel, look we are going to be stuffing about with this for at least another week, I can tell you that your firm are front runners but we have to do everything by the numbers. Tell you what don't worry about coming back next week, should there be any questions I'll contact you by phone."

"Thank you, Wendy most appreciated," Thom just hoped he helped land this one or he would definitely be out on his arse. The truth was he'd not be too adverse to that.

Regardless, Monica was elated she had her man right where she preferred him most, beside her. As it transpired Thom's firm won the contract, the fly in the ointment was when they wanted him to be on site. With the upmost diplomacy they were informed in no uncertain terms he would not be going for any longer than a flight out and back on the same day. They pushed, he indicated he was well aware of where the door was, his priorities in life were not the same as theirs. They said their goodbyes, acrimoniously from them. The shrug of his shoulders was to indicate water off a ducks back.

Monica was one hundred percent behind Thom's stance, she waited until the next day to suggest if he wanted why not go out on his own. Thom certainly was not afraid of hard work but knew that at this late stage in his life not welcome, besides the expense involved in setting up from scratch, his ethics would not allow himself to 'steal' any of his firms client, it did not even enter his thought process. Thom did not sit on his laurels while all this was taking place he doubled down on work about the home. A few maintenance tasks brought up to date, a list of things to do quickly diminished. He went on line and sought out interesting dinner options for the family.

Unbeknownst to Thom all was not going to plan with the new contract they had signed. The replacement, hastily promoted from within the firm was not up to speed nor was he ready to take on the responsibility. The Government representative overlooking the project was less than impressed, he contacted Wendy as the primary negotiator on the contract to ask why had she chosen a pack of losers, naturally that was all verbal. Wendy asked a few pointed questions and the pair of them placed a conference call to Thom's old firm. There were some very unhappy people on both sides of the connection.

Both Monica and Zoe had their unique call tones in Thom's phone. The only two ring tones that he would drop everything for and answer, so when his bog standard everyday ring tone reached his ear, his desire was to not stop making lemon meringue pie for the approaching dinner's dessert, he let it through to voice mail. The insistence of the caller failed to understand Thom's new love of forced early retirement. The only hold up to making it perfect was Monica's contract with her firm. She had a year to go to fulfil the obligation penalty free period and as we all know we work to make money not lose it. They were both dreaming of that date, quietly celebrating every month it came closer.

While Thom's phone was ringing its head off, Monica had received the tap on the shoulder to step up, the firm had expanded and staff were short on the ground. The senior partners were well aware that she would balk at having to be away from home, they were hoping she would come to the party and help them out of a sticky situation. Unfortunately for them they had nothing to use as a carrot. They knew that any sign of a whip would have her turn on them, all they could hope for was her sense of loyalty to the firm would wing it for them. Peter Morris drew the short straw, even though they all knew Monica respected him, so he in fact had a better start than the other two senior partners.

As good fortune would have it, Monica understood their position and with a guarantee that it would only be two weeks of four days. They even offered a sweetener of her family travelling with her. With Thom now retired, the school holidays were only a week away, everything was aligned for her to say yes.

Thom had dinner sorted out for his family, the dessert was just in the oven and would come out in fifteen minutes or so. Finally he saw the flashing blue light indication a missed call. Having time on his side dialled into his message bank. His first thought was to laugh out loud, then it was a case of hurry home Monica you just have to hear this. The desperation in the Senior partners voice though touched a cord, reading behind the message he realised there was more to it than a desperate plea to return his call. On an impulsive whim he looked through his contacts, Wendy's number had slipped through his cull.

"Well, hello Thom! You are the last person I would have thought would call."

"Hello Wendy, Sorry to interrupt but could you fill me in on what's going on my ex-employer is in conniptions and wanted me to call them. That means my last contract I worked on is in play."

"Un-officially they are in serious trouble, you never heard that from me either. I would imagine you are the only one who can dig them out of this mess in the time they've been given and by the way I'm out of the play."

"How bad?"

"I doubt even with your hands on you'd be able to rescue them, my opinion for what it's worth is they are going to be torched."

"There are a lot of good people at that practice Wendy, they have families to provide for."

"The partners should have thought of that before they tossed you on the pyre followed by the torch and yes we are all aware what went down Thom."

"Will Patrick give me a fair shot at turning it around and that is not for the partners it's for the worker bees."

"I'll talk to him and let you know, no promises either."

Thom respected Monica far too much to call Harry, the senior partner before discussing the issue and made no move other than to tidy up the kitchen. The more clean up now meant less cutting into their time. Zoe came into the house with phone glued to her ear, she was obviously talking to a peer discussing some deadline on a project, waving a greeting to her father as she made her way to get ready for dinner and family time. A few minutes later she was giving her father a kiss hello and telling him about her day.

"Could I borrow your car this weekend dad, Sally and me need to do some shopping."

Having just recently obtained her driver's license, Thom gave the affirmative reply, he was well aware that their daughter was fast becoming independent, they had long ago had the birds and bees discussion and both Thom and Monica knew that it would not be that long before the experimentation began if it had not already.

Monica arrived home shortly after and as a family they ate, cleaned up and then discussed their days, Monica insisted he went first, she was a little uncertain she had done the right thing in saying yes to her firm. Thom's news placed hers in limbo. She did not want to be away from Thom again, he would have to find out what Harry was after officially so she could deal with her working demands. They both were of the opinion that if they wanted him back he was firmly in the drivers seat as far as conditions went.

Thinking he would call Harry the next morning, then have lunch with Monica so they could work out what was what. Harry though was under the cosh, he did not have the luxury of time to spare, Thom's phone rang almost as if on que.

"Hello Harry, I was going to call you tomorrow."

"Um, yes sorry to be such a pain Thom..." Harry went on to explain the predicament they were in and in a nut shell they were throwing themselves at his mercy.

The love and admiration of his partner was such that Harry was in no way mistaken who came first in Thom's life, "I understand your position Harry however I'll discuss this with Monica and let you know of our decision to help out or not."

This was not a ploy to make Harry or the partners grovel, it was all about what was best for Monica, Zoe and himself. Monica had to bring them up to date on her work situation. All in all hers was taken in stride mainly because of Thom's changed work situation, admittedly only if his conditions were accepted.

An hour later, Harry received his call back and the affirmative to help with conditions. Thom would return the next morning to the salt mine called work. He would debate the conditions of his return then. Monica and to a small extent Zoe helped with the list, which as a brainstorming exercise was fun, then they got down and serious. Tossing out the downright silly and ended with only two non-negotiable items and another four that would nice, but not a deal breaker if they went by the wayside.

"Bloody hell, wish I knew about this this morning Thom, I would never have agreed to going away."

"My take on this is they will agree with the two and maybe two more but they cannot be seen to be push overs, so two must go and they will try for more to test my metal. Regardless as soon as this project is up and running smoothly, they'll swing the axe again."

"You sure? Harry seems certain it was all a mistake."

"Harry is upright, the other three no so much, a lot of ego in those three. Now will you be aright with your agreement. I mean if you don't want to do it, it's only a year early on our plan."

"What if you have read them wrong and they want you for the duration, I'll be sitting here twiddling my thumbs!"

"Let's sleep on it and see what daylight brings."

They did not get to wait for daylight, following their showers, and the demonstrating of their physical love of each other, Thom could not help but question if returning to work was the right thing to do, they did not need the money, in reality he was really now only marking time. Monica pointed out her contract and the year to run, they could do this short stint of disruption and besides when they did reach the finish line they were positive they would look back and laugh at the situation now unfolding in their lives. Their discussion went back and forth but in reality they knew they were just rehashing the hypotheticals.

The surprise for Thom, late the next morning was the arrival of a contract, all his requests, read that as demands, meet. The one he wanted the most was he had the right to walk away once the project was back on track. Monica on hearing the news was torn between elation for her man and sorrow for herself that she'd have to be away by herself. In the end she sucked it up, did as much of the work she could from the office and headed off to do her first four days away from her palace and refuge from the world.

2Maria
2Maria
16 Followers