Asteroids and Athletes Ch. 07

Story Info
The TTRPG is back on, but it's not all fun and games...
6.3k words
5
1k
00

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 09/20/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
alupine
alupine
213 Followers

The frequency of my texts with Cesar over the next few days increased as we became closer friends. We talked about everything, as I tried to keep his mind off of the sadness of losing Jasmine. I knew there was a chance she wouldn't come back and I wanted to support him. Cesar isn't fragile, but I knew he cared for her more than he was letting on. That Wednesday instead of playing the RPG we worked out at the college gym together. Then on Monday night after class, we were playing cards at his house, no beer this time, when there was a knock at the door. It turned out to be Jasmine, so I wished him luck before I left.

I texted him the next day to see how he was doing. I was happy to hear that he had reconciled with Jasmine and they were doing much better. He called and told me the surprising news that they were now an official couple, but in an open relationship. We talked for nearly an hour.

On Tuesday I went on a coffee date during lunch with a woman named Mariah. I met her on a dating app. She was a cute Philipina with beautiful dyed ombre hair, gauges in her ears, and big brown eyes. We hit it off really well, it seemed like instant chemistry and almost too good to be true. That night while texting we made plans for dinner at a Thai place. I tried not to be too optimistic, but I was hoping to make contact with her thick kissable lips that Friday. Cesar also texted me that the game was back on. I was excited and knew that Cesar had been missing it too.

__Campaign 1, Session 9__

On Wednesday night it was good seeing everyone together again, even Heidi. It had been about two weeks since we had played.

Our amazing GM Cesar started with a recap of the events that had recently transpired in the campaign. We were on the planet Ag'eval IX, where Xoragol's ex-lover Senyaava had become the prime minister and was asking for help. There was a giant worm-like beast called a geosaur that was causing havoc by tunneling beneath the cities. We had killed it with Evan's (Fanvo's) strategic placement of explosives. After our victory, the city had thrown us a party and entrusted us with another request. There were ruins that had been forbidden because of the dangers inside. They imagined that inside were probably artifacts that could fund tourism of the planet. Senyaava tasked us with going inside to get the treasure. The native inhabitants were long extinct, so any social implications weren't as much a factor. We (our characters) had just arrived at the ruins and were examining the entrance when Cesar had called the game last time.

So that's where we started playing for the new session. Maira asked Cesar to remind us what it looked like. He said there were lights that Senyaava and his crew set up onto the large open metal doors. I was expecting stone, but the ruins looked futuristic. It was old technology, so a ruin of metal, wires and pipes, with an occasional light flickering. The hallway before us was grimy and a dead body lay in the far corner, the head missing. It was a bit scary to begin with.

Heidi warned us that there were probably traps everywhere and we should take every opportunity to look for them. No reason to be caught with our pants down so to speak. We had to use our skills to search and examine. Because Heidi's character Zarasti was the best at this, it was mostly up to them. Fanvo was excited for all the treasure, but again, Heidi was nervous this would be a death trap.

Cesar said that by the DangerHunter RPG rules for searches and other group activities, the person with the highest skill always rolled. But he had a house rule that anyone else that wanted could roll search and if successful could add 5 skill to Zarasti's. But if they fail, that means Heidi would subtract 3 from Zarasti's skill.

No one besides Zarasti had a skill above 50%, so Heidi didn't want anyone to help. I understood why, but still it seemed a bit selfish. So she rolled a Notice check (first roll of the night) and it was a failure. Zarasti couldn't see any traps so Heidi sort of volunteered my robot to scout ahead. She thought there might be a pressure plate or trip wire that killed the person at the end of the hall. I agreed that it was a good idea so I sent Diaz (the robot) ahead and just as we thought might happen, it triggered a trap. Luckily Diaz is short, so the electronic shot missed completely. With that, we were able to avoid the first trap. We clearly marked it on the ground and kept doing the same moving forward. We avoidied three traps until we got to a treasure chamber. The last trap though, crushed Diaz. It was better that a robot got killed than us, but still... Diaz, my heal bot, was totaled. Cesar said repairing it would require spending the same amount as buying a new one. Maybe more...

Although we had cleared all the traps up to the treasure room, Heidi was still cautious. Because Diaz was gone, there wasn't anything that could trip the other traps safely. Heidi suggested we go back and get something to help in that regard. But even the most basic bot would cost us 1000 creds.

Fanvo (Evan) couldn't wait. He saw a chest in the chamber and opened it, but critically failed a notice check when Cesar asked him to roll.

Cesar rolled for damage. It was quite high. He said a vibrosaw blade trap popped from the lock box and cut right through Fanvo's shoulder, removing his arm from his torso. He dropped down to the floor, unconscious. It was crazy! Because we didn't have Diaz to help, Grita tried first aid. She failed the roll. We had to get Fanvo back to the medical bay to stabilize or risk losing him.

We left what treasures were in the chest, avoided all the traps until we got to the entrance, then we entered the Red Nova, our spaceship. I carried Fanvo and Grita took his arm. Evan had to roll a strength save for Fanvo to avoid dying as we went back, and was successful each time. We got to the med bay and had the ship do most of the work. It could do limited surgery and first aid. First was trying to stabilize him and have him come back to consciousness. Maira rolled again using the ship's bonus, but failed again. Evan swore and buried his head in his hands. Cesar said there was one last chance. Someone could try the old fashion way, CPR, but much more difficult. Maira didn't want to roll again, so Heidi rolled for the group first aid. Another fail. Following that he failed his strength check. That was it. Fanvo was dead. I looked around the silent table. Cesar asked if the group had any last words amongst each other before he passed on.

We went around the room, everyone saying something. I tried my best, saying I couldn't believe this was happening and although we've only been together a short time, I'd miss him. Evan was a bit choked up as he said (talking as Fanvo) that the Red Nova group had been like a family to him when he had lost his. He had no regrets, and then he passed on.

Evan stood up from the table and walked away. I'm not sure, but I think he was starting to cry. Justin then left to see if he was ok. Cesar told everyone to take a fifteen minute break while we all processed what just happened. Cesar went to find Justin and Evan. Only Cesar returned. He explained that they were driving back to their apartment. Evan didn't take the situation very well. Cesar let everyone know he was calling the end of the game early considering how two players of the group had left. There were silent nods of agreement. I hung back and talked to Cesar about how Evan was doing. He said that Evan needed some time to think. It wasn't just the game, but he was having a rough time with his family at home. Justin, as his boyfriend, had left to comfort him. I understood completely.

__Friday Date__

I went to the Thai place I had mentioned to Mariah, the girl I had coffee with. We were to meet there at six and I got there early. The time came and went. I waited fifteen minutes before texting her, but she never showed up. I left after an hour, feeling dejected. I made something at home to eat instead. I told my roommate Avery (they/them) the whole story. They stayed up late with me bingeing the Doctors soap opera, one of my guilty pleasures. I was on the sixth season, when Jennifer Jenson (love that Courtney Savage) fell into a coma. The drama of the show really put into perspective how my troubles were so small in comparison. Maybe the thought of Mariah was too good to be true.

She texted me the next day saying something came up, she was sorry and she would get back to me when we could meet again. I'm not sure what happened with her because there wasn't another text between us. I was so eager for that night, but nothing good came of it. Thinking back on it now, I suppose it wasn't meant to be.

__Campaign 1, Session 10__

When I got to the next session I was a little late. I saw Cesar, Heidi, and Justin already sitting at the table. Jasmine was also there.

"Hey, good seeing you again," she said, giving my arm a brief squeeze.

"You too. How are you?"

"Great thanks."

"Are you gonna be in the game with us?"

"No, I'm just chillin' tonight," she said. "Hey could I talk to you afterwards? I want to ask you something." She smiled.

"Uh sure?" I said. "But why can't you ask now?" I said.

"Oh, I wanted Cesar and I to ask together. He's busy setting up the game. Sorry it's not a big thing, don't worry about it."

"Can't give me a little hint."

"Yeah- we just wanted to see if you were free for lunch tomorrow." She took a sip of a wine cooler.

"Oh yeah no problem," I said. I pushed back my horn rimmed glasses nervously.

"So that's a yes?"

"Oh, yes," I said.

She laughed and I felt my cheeks get warm.

"Ok well, I'll ask again after the game with Cesar," she said.

"Sure." I took a drink of the beer I had. "So you're just going to watch us play?"

"Yeah. My plans fell through and I don't feel like studying tonight. Sorry, I need to use the bathroom."

"Uh no problem."

Then she left the garage where we had the gaming table and entered the main house. I took the opportunity to speak to Justin as I noticed his boyfriend wasn't there.

"Hey is Evan ok?" I asked.

"He's fine, he's just working on a new character. He's actually had the idea for a while, but he's obsessing over backstory. Not sure when he'll be introduced. Maybe next time?"

"Oh, ok."

Jasmine came back in with a portable game console, sitting down in the corner and quietly playing.

"Alright everyone ready to get started?" Cesar asked.

There were nods and affirmations around the table.

Cesar (GM): Last time, on the planet Ag'eval IX those of the Red Nova delved into the Ancient East Ruins of Ko'vetaga in the hope of uncovering artifacts for Senyaava, the Prime Minister. There was a tragedy when Fanvo attempted to open a trapped chest. Although you all tried valiantly to save the young Leshani demolitionist, it seemed fate was against you, and he perished in the medical bay of your spaceship. So that's where you are now.

Maira (Grita): I know we texted about what to do next, but... fuck it feels wrong.

Justin (Xoragol): First the ceremony. The celebration of life.

Maira (Grita): Right. I guess we should fly into space right?

Maddy (Yaae): Yeah.

Cesar (GM): Alright so...

Maira (Grita): Do I need to roll Pilot skill?

Cesar: No you're not under the gun or anything. You can take your time. Are you doing it right away? It's only been minutes since he died.

Maira (Grita): Oh right... Maybe tomorrow?

Justin (Xoragol): Yeah that's better. We shouldn't rush this.

Cesar (GM): Alright what next?

Justin (Xoragol): Uh, his arm is still... off isn't it?

Cesar (GM): Yes, I don't think anyone attached it.

Justin (Xoragol): Grita could you help me sew him back up?

Maira (Grita): Sure thing. Do I need to roll? I don't have sewing *laugh*

Cesar (GM): No that's ok. Again, you are taking your time right?

Justin (Xoragol): Yes, I mean it should look neat.

Cesar (GM): No need to roll then.

Maddy (Yaae): Are his eyes open?

Cesar (GM): Uh, yes.

Maddy (Yaae): I'll close them.

Justin (Xoragol): Is there... like a cloth or sheet we can put over the body?

Cesar (GM): You have your sheets for your beds and probably a couple spares. Why don't you roll luck?

Justin (Xoragol): I have luck 11 does anyone have better than that?

Maira (Grita): Mine's 12.

Cesar (GM): Ok then if Grita is helping and she has higher luck, then she can roll.

Maira (Grita): Ok that's twelve times five right?

Cesar (GM): Right you need to make a sixty.

Maira (Grita): *rolls* Fourteen.

Cesar (GM): Alright, you find three sheets. All plain white.

Maira (Grita): Red

Cesar (GM): Red?

Maira (Grita): It's the Red Nova.

Cesar (GM): Alright, red. Are all the bed coverings and linens red?

Maira (Grita): Of course Cesar. Grita is all about interior design.

Cesar (GM): Sorry *laughs* I should have known.

Maira (Grita): I'll give the red sheet to Xoragol.

Justin (Xoragol): Thank you. I'll cover his body from his toes to just under his chin. Then I'll kiss his forehead and cover his head with the sheet.

Cesar (GM): Fanvo's small body is now draped in red. It's quiet in the med bay. What do you do?

Justin (Xoragol): Uh... maybe I should cook something?

Maira (Grita): I don't feel like eating.

Justin (Xoragol): Me either, but I need to keep my hands busy.

Maddy (Yaae): Could I help you?

Justin (Xoragol): Sure. I could always use someone to stir the pot.

Maddy (Yaae): Just my speed.

Maira (Grita): I'll go outside for a bit, to watch the... what time is it?

Cesar (GM): Near sunset. There are about 30 hours days on this planet.

Maira (Grita): I'll watch the sunset then.

Cesar (GM): Zarasti how about you?

Heidi (Zarasti): Uh.. I'll... I'll just take the time to clean my tools. Make sure my gun and knife look good.

Cesar (GM): Alright. Where were we? Justin, about how long does it take Xoragol and Yaae to cook dinner?

Justin (Xoragol): Uh maybe twenty minutes? Take it slow.

Cesar (GM): Roll to see how well you did.

Justin (Xoragol): *rolls* Seven.

Cesar (GM): Sweet. And what were you cooking?

Justin (Xoragol): Well, it's Chogai'at comfort food. A sort of stew usually cooked for days, but with high technology he can get the same results in twenty minutes

Cesar (GM): Alright. So you start eating dinner.

Maira (Grita): Grita won't say anything. She'll just be quietly eating her stew.

Justin (Xoragol): I expect we're all very quiet.

Maira (Grita): I'll go straight to bed after I'm done.

Justin (Xoragol): Same.

Cesar (GM): Yaae and Zarasti?

Heidi (Zarasti): Yeah.

Cesar (GM): Alright. You go to bed. Some of you have trouble, but a complete night's sleep is had by all. When it comes to the morning, what do you want to do?

Maira (Grita): I'm going to check if everyone is ready to leave and I want to head off into space for the ceremony.

Justin (Xoragol): After breakfast?

Maira (Grita): Another food scene, ok...

Cesar (GM): We don't have to roleplay each scene. Does anyone else want to do anything before you leave the surface of Ag'eval IX?

Heidi (Zarasti): We can come back later, just need to rip the bandaid off.

Maira (Grita): Yeah.

Cesar (GM): So you pull the Red Nova up and off the planet and are floating in orbit. What next?

Justin (Xoragol): We should each say something.

Maira (Grita): Yeah.

Heidi (Zarasti): Zarasti will start. I'm assuming we're in the airlock? Maybe we set up Fanvo's body on the floor?

Justin (Xoragol): Do we have a rolling table or cart?

Cesar (GM): Sure, but remember if you open the airlock it will suck out anything not bolted down.

Heidi (Zarasti): Can we bolt down one of the tables?

Cesar (GM): Sure.

Maira (Grita): I'll do that then.

Heidi (Zarasti): Alright after that's done, Zarasti will stand next to the table where his body is and say... Although I am not one for death customs, I know you were one who believed in such things. So I want to say some words to honor your memory.

Thank you for being a competent Demolition Expert.

...

Maira (Grita): *laughter* That's it?

Heidi (Zarasti): Yes, I think it's appropriate.

Justin (Xoragol): *chuckle*

Maira (Grita): Jesus H-

Heidi (Zarasti): Who is this Jesus?

Maira (Grita): *laughter* Ok. Does someone else want to say something?

Maddy (Yaae): Sure, I will. Fanvo, I know I'm the newbie and didn't know you that long, but I really got to understand where you were coming from. You had one of the strongest personalities and you were so passionate about what you loved. Yes, that passion was blowing shit up, but you were good at it. Hell, without you, that geosaur would have probably killed us all. So thank you for being so obsessed with bombs.

Cesar (GM): *laughter*

Maddy (Yaae): Thank you for being so welcoming and treating me as one of the team, even though I just started. Thank you all. And... Fanvo. You will definitely be missed. I think for a long time whenever I see a particularly big explosion, and I'm expecting there will be more... I will be reminded of you and what a good teammate you were.

Maira (Grita): That was... kinda beautiful Yaae.

Maddy (Yaae): *laughter*

Justin (Xoragol): Fanvo... I know that you lost your family when you were just a few years old, so you grew up without your parents or siblings. I know that must have been difficult. I can't even imagine the pain you and your people have endured. But still although you are so different... tiny and hairy, you were my brother in battle. We fought side by side for so long. I would draw them in and you would blow them to bits. We were good. You left this universe too soon and I miss you so, so much... Don't worry my brother, these are not tears of sadness, but of happiness from all the great memories we had together. Although you are no longer with us, you will always be... with us. You know what I mean? Sorry buddy, I'm not good with the words. I wish for your spirit to go free now.

Maira (Grita): ... I keep thinking you will come out from your room, and slap me on the shoulder, saying, what up boss!? It still hasn't really sunk in that you are gone. *laughs* I remember how we met you in that saloon on Crigel VII. To be honest, I wasn't sure it would work out. You were so greedy and obsessive. You couldn't couldn't even look me in the eyes at the start. Or look at anything for too long, your big eyes were always darting around like they needed to find the next adventure. I think it was that sense of adventure that I really loved about you. You wanted to keep going, always looking for something better and grabbing it all for a big score! Without you... without you, I'm not so sure anymore. I think... it may be time for a break. But you don't have to worry about that. You're free now. I don't really believe in that spirit stuff, but maybe... maybe it is true. Maybe you can fly through space and find all the adventure you want. That sounds pretty great.

Justin (Xoragol): ...

Maira (Grita): So...

Maddy (Yaae): How do we? ...

Heidi (Zarasti): We need to go back to the main compartment so we can evacuate the oxygen and eject the body to space.

Justin (Xoragol): Before I leave, I'll put my hand on Fanvo's forehead and say: Goodbye my furry brother.

Maddy (Yaae): Goodbye friend, and I'll walk back.

Maira (Grita): I'll put my hand into my bag and pull out several remote grenades I took from Fanvo. I stick them around his body, about five of them, in his pockets and into his clothing.

Maddy (Yaae): Oh shit.

Maira (Grita): I put my hand on the top of his head and lean my forehead against his. I whisper to him, I know you always wanted to go out with a boom. See you in space. And then, Grita walks away.

Heidi (Zarasti): Goodbye Fanvo of the Red Nova. Then Zarasti will walk out.

alupine
alupine
213 Followers
12