Avarice Desperation Valley Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was also gratified that the old man had hinted at his suspicions that Lord Lothar indeed already had his daughter Frances, and Bennett was quick to inflame these accusations further. Even more thrilled was he when Stephan readily agreed to cease trade to the fortified city, explaining that the two had for many years had a rather strained agreement, one which he was never comfortable with. Bennett realizing it would not take too long to cripple the Wolf Lord in this way.

His satisfied grin took on an evil perspective in the flickering firelight, and for the first time in many weeks he had both eaten and drunk his fill, feeling warm and content. Bennett's hand strayed languidly to Nathan by his side, running his fingers through the lad's scruffy light blond hair, over his narrow shoulder and straying down his half buttoned shirt front. Feeling the boy at once take a sharp inward breath at his caress. Yes, he was starting to like it Bennett congratulated himself, realizing the lad now made no attempt to pull away. It was time to turn his mind to other matters, and seek the comfort of his furs, there would be ample time for war very soon.

Stephan had come away from today's meeting feeling somewhat distraught and disturbed with the outcome. Fretting at the violent nature of the solution he had agreed to with this mercenary horde, for it was contrary to all he had ever preached politically. It was quite obvious to his eyes that Bennett's mercenaries were little more than cut throats, out for all they could get, and he wondered hesitantly if he had made such a wise decision after all. Still he was hard pressed, with too few soldiers of his own, and Lothar would be here with his bullies any day, he had a duty to protect his citizens and all they had labored for he told himself. There simply was no other option. Besides the presence of Renard had to be considered also, hoping that he would be able to speak with his beloved son and soon, and clear up all this mystery.

He gazed out of the high library window as he set the book he had been reading by the yellowed lamplight down on the table top, casting his sights to the courtyard below glowing with the amber light of the large bonfire. His menacing guests looked more like a pack of hellish demons than men he acknowledged, again feeling the tendrils of worry close about his heart. "What have I done?" Stephan muttered to the shelves of books that stood lining the walls in silent judgment around him. Shaking his head he doused the lamp and headed off to bed, knowing he would sleep uneasy this night, and many more thereafter.

12