Avarice Desperation Valley Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Aran was struck cold as he realized he was looking at the brother to the woman he loved, and all this time they had both been on the same agenda, if only he had known. He was so taken aback he heard little of the rest of Renard's admissions, but sat through them in stunned silence his mind reeling with the ramifications of this new information.

Renard had no idea of the effect he was having on Aran, and the quandary the man was in. Tears were coursing down his cheeks into his beard, and his voice was now thick with emotion. The usually reserved man had cast his guard aside, he no longer cared if Aran thought him weak. He had said his peace, and he could now go to his execution cleansed. Expecting the moment was imminent Renard was confused as Aran did not say a word, leaving as suddenly as he had appeared into the now desert darkness. Even more surprised to be escorted back to the confines of his prison, wondering what kind of cruel joke had been played.

Aran stalked out into the cool night, he had to think, walking to the verges of the camp, past Bennett's abandoned cabin, and the ring of long discarded trucks and car bodies laying further out. The chips of shattered windscreen glass collected the faint sliver of moonlight like stars scattered on the sand. The brush swayed gently looking ominous and dark, occasionally an alarmed bird scattered from its roosting place, making Aran jump.

Can I kill him even now? Aran asked himself. The men will want and demand it, it will be expected of me. How do I sate them so justice can appear to be done, and they do not find me weak? He struggled with the decision. Renard is her brother, Aran thought in disbelief.

He had never even reasoned it, but he had no reason to believe that Renard was lying. In fact it would explain many things, but what to do in light of this admission? Aran could not possibly entreat Stephan's aid with the blood of his son on his hands. It was bad enough the man had lost a daughter. It was hard to admit to himself that he would in all probability not be destined to see her again. Aran feared the worst for the lovely Frances, it was most unusual that not one person here had any idea where Bennett had supposedly hidden her. His heart ached, he could still visualize her delicate beauty, hear her musical voice, see the despair in her indigo eyes.

He hung his head and stopped abruptly, his shoulders slumped in a posture of defeat, it was like some nightmare. Yet it was starkly real. Everyone he cared for was absent from his world, just like that, gone. Aran wanted to weep, but instead he pushed the emotion aside and stood as still as stone, darkness in his heart.

Leaders must be strong he reminded himself, and he would be no exception, it was his duty to think logically what to do. He would not allow himself the luxury of such emotions, he must stand strong and sure whatever the cost.

*****

Carlos was in a state of shock, he had been installed as a warrior under the supervision of Will on Aran's behest. Freedom felt to the newly liberated Carlos a strange state indeed. He sat by the fire a short distance from the others, his change in status seemed surreal, and he did not feel at all comfortable. It was very obvious the men were contemptuous of him and still regarded him as only a slave. It was obvious the usually cheery Will resented the task he had been assigned by Aran, that of watching over him carefully.

The young man had washed away the many weeks of filth and taken a much needed shave, looking more his handsome self. Most of the wounds he had sustained at Pig and Dwayne's hands had completely healed to small traces of light scarring on his tanned flesh.

The news of Bennett's demise was music to his ears and he was thinking about perhaps taking over his Master's cabin. There was no reason now to run away and face the unknown harshness of the desert wastes, at least not immediately. He would stick it out here and hopefully with time gain some form of acceptance amongst his peers. If he did not then he would leave and take his chances elsewhere.