Azerothian Dream Ch. 06

Story Info
Kharanos Rescue, pt 1.
5.3k words
4.74
3.1k
5
3

Part 6 of the 14 part series

Updated 03/03/2023
Created 10/30/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Pinkender
Pinkender
1,179 Followers

Chapter 6- Kharanos Rescue, pt 1

A fire roared in the stone hearth beneath the iron grills of the stove eyes. A pot sat on one, the water within just starting the burble as it warmed up. Nearby at the butcher's block, a dwarf woman chopped a large roast into chunks for a stew. Across from her at another counter, a second cook rolled dough for bread. Stepping around them, Pinkerpie and I made our way to the common room.

Another fire roared in the fireplace of the common room. Himas Belm was behind the bar with a couple of dwarves already sitting in front of him while two wenches circulated through the room tending to the few patrons already sitting at tables. Finding an open table near the fireplace, we sat down. As soon as we entered the common room, Pinkerpie drew all eyes. No one said anything, but we were the center of all attention. Once we were settled, Himas threaded his way between the tables as he crossed the room to us.

"Morning to ye fine folks," He greeted, "Up earlier than I expected, given the time ye arrived here last night. Still, breakfast was four hours ago, and we are currently prepare'n lunch, so it will be a bit before there is someth'n to eat."

"I see," I replied with a nod that I understood, "How long will it be before lunch is ready?"

"Another hour," Himas answered.

"We're here to purchase rams trained to pull wagons," Pinkerpie said, "The stablemaster in Thelsamar wouldn't sell us any of hers. We came here in hopes of finding someone that will. Do you know anyone would be willing to?"

"There's Binji and Milli Featherwhistle out at Beldin Steelgrill's depot," Himas answered, but then chuckled, "Inventors they call themselves. Have some mechanical chickens they ride, but they won't sell to ye, ain't many they hate more'n goblins. No, ye best bet is Amberstill Ranch, but if ye plan on head'n there, ye will need someth'n warmer to wear than what ye have. Ye not dressed nearly well enough for a Dunn Morogh spring."

"Mmm," I hummed as I absorbed the warning. Of course, I knew about Steelgrill's Depot and the mechastriders, but only from the game. I wasn't sure how true to the game this Azeroth was, and there is an Amberstill Ranch as well. I know the area from the game, but the distances were vastly greater here in this world. Looking up at Himas I asked, "Where can we purchase clothing that will be warm enough?"

"There's Gamili Frosthide over at that Forge," Himas replied as he ran a hand over his beard in thought before adding, "But I don't think he will sell anyth'n to ye young missy here. No. I doubt it very much. I tell ye what, I have some clothes from when me daughter was a child, I think some of them may fit ye lass here. I will sell them to ye for a fair price, and ye sir, can go purchase what ye can from Gamili."

"That sounds fair enough, thank you sir," I answered with an honest nod. Pinkerpie was so surprised that her mouth was agape, but she agreed enthusiastically.

Himas shared a smile between us. At least, I thought it was a smile, then he turned away and approached one of the tavern wenches. He mumbled something in her ear and she hustled off and out of the inn. Himas returned after she left and explained, "Brina is a good lass. She'll be back in a bit with the clothes I told ye about."

"Thank you again, Master Belm," I replied earnestly.

"Noth'n to it... Noth'n to it at all," Himas retorted with a satisfied grin and a firm nod, then he turned away and went to the kitchen.

Lunch was served and we ate heartily before Brina returned with a large backpack. She caught my eye, when our gazes met she nodded her head in the direction of the kitchen where the entrance to the inn rooms were.

"I think she wants you to go with her to our room," I mumbled to Pinkerpie as I tilted my head in Brina's direction.

"Yeah, I got that," Pinkerpie retorted, but softened it with a grin before she went on, "I will go see what she has, why don't you go see what you can find from Gamili over at the Forge."

"Sound's like a good plan," I agreed.

Pinkerpie winked and then left to follow Brina into the kitchen while I paid Himas for the meal and left to go see Gamili.

----(!)----

An hour later icy wind and snow pelted our faces as we walked north on the Anvilmar Road.

"Only a dwarf would want to live in this frozen hell!" Pinkerpie yelled over the wind, "It's as warm as their hospitality!"

I couldn't help but laugh, but as soon as it passed I said in all seriousness, "I think you should yell a little louder! I don't think those in Iron Forge heard you!"

"So funny!" Pinkerpie retorted bitterly, "I'm pretty sure I could yell every slur I know in this weather and no one further than two feet away would ever hear it!"

"Probably!" I answered with an accompanying nod, "Still, save your strength! It's going to be miles before we reach Amberstill Ranch!"

Pinkerpie didn't bother answering; she just nodded and leaned into the wind.

Most of the day passed by walking in the frigid cold, before we reached Steelgrill's Depot. I wanted to stop so badly, and I knew Pinkerpie must be exhausted. She was taking two steps for every one of mine, but neither of us wanted to challenge the Featherwhistle's racial prejudice. With no welcome or refreshment to be found at Steelgrill's Depot, stopping meant sitting in snow on the side of the road or standing in the wind. It would also be another delay before reaching our destination. So, instead, I pulled out an insulated thermos and took a swig of hot spiced wine before passing it to Pinkerpie.

She kept it and slung it over her shoulder as I pulled out bread, tore it into two pieces and passed half to her. Cheese followed and then several slices of roast. It was all eaten as we walked.

The wind blew and howled. It whipped our cloaks and tore every vestige of warmth we had from our bodies as it sunk into our clothes like icy needles that pierced us through to the bone. The sun never broke out from behind thick gray clouds, and it never warmed up. Not even a little bit, as a matter of fact, as the miles passed by it seemed to only get colder. I really wished I was sitting behind a computer monitor running my player character through these frigid wastes while in a nice seventy-six degree climate controlled house!

The thought gave me pause for a second. Just long enough for Pinkerpie to stop and look back at me curiously before I resumed walking again. I wondered though, am I someone else's player character now? Or, am I an NPC? It was way more philosophical than I was able to grasp at the moment, so I reached out and took Pinkerpie's hand and focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

Pinkerpie tugged at my hand when the sky started to darken, and yelled over the gusting wind, "We need to prepare a campsite! We haven't even made it to Quarry Road! We aren't going to make it to Amberstill Ranch if we freeze to death!"

Tightening my grip on her hand, I nodded. Moving to the side of the road we worked together to dig a pit and then made snow bricks for the worst looking igloo ever made. Loose snow became mortar to pack into the cracks and then we scavenged wood from the trees around. A little help from a small flask of pure corn whisky bought from Himas, and we had a nice fire warming us up while the wind still howled outside.

Setting out our rations, we ate in silence until Pinkerpie finally said, "I think we should return to Kharanos and try to buy a mount from the stable master there. I'm not sure where Amberstill Ranch is, but obviously it's much further than you anticipated."

I nodded. She was right. My memory of Dun Morogh was sketchy at best. I had spent much more time in Kalimdor questing as I leveled up my Nightelf huntress, Bestla. I did start a dwarf paladin, but I never got much further than Ironforge before I parked her. The reassuring thing was that landmasses, cities, towns, landmarks, and ruins, everything that was in the game seemed to be on this Azeroth as well. There were even little villages and homesteads of those that braved the wilds in this world that weren't in the game. One thing was certain though, this world was far larger. Everything may exist but the distances were far greater between them.

"You're right," I said as I shook my head in frustration at myself, "I thought I knew where I was going! Actually, I do know! It's just that the maps I remember illustrated everything in a manner where it all appeared much closer. Still, there is no way we will make it without more provisions and a mount of some sort."

"Then in the morning we will return to Kharanos and purchase a mount and more provisions," Pinkerpie stated so as to confirm the plan.

I nodded, and then we finished eating before rolling up in our cloaks and blankets. I tossed more wood on the fire and then we snuggled up to go to sleep.

The next morning we trekked back to Kharanos. Innkeeper Belm put us up in the room we were in before. We made a list of provisions and then went up to the tavern to eat dinner.

"Goodeven'n to ye," Brina greeted us with a smile.

"Good evening Brina," Pinkerpie replied in a purr and a wink.

Surprisingly, Brina blushed right through her dark coppery skin while her emerald green eyes flashed with some secret knowledge. She rubbed her hands over her hips several times trying to smooth out wrinkles that weren't there and cleared her throat before saying, "Himas said that I could serve ye tonight. If ye need anything..."

She paused as she looked from me to Pinkerpie before repeating herself, "Anything! Ye let me know."

To my amazement it was Pinkerpie's turn to blush right through her dark earthy-green complexion while eyes flashed with repressed expectation before answering warmly, "We will do that."

There was a short but significant pause as Brina and Pinkerpie shared a look, then Brina turned to me and asked, "What'll ye be have'n for dinner?"

"Whatever the cook is grilling in the back and a flagon of your hot spiced wine," I replied as I rubbed my belly hungrily.

Brina nodded then turned her hot gaze back to Pinkerpie who added, "I will have the same."

Brina nodded to us both and gave us both a warm smile, but to Pinkerpie she added a meaningful wink before she left.

As soon as she was out of ear shot I asked, "What is all that about?"

Pinkerpie watched Brina as she sashayed her way back across the tavern before she turned to me and answered, "Remember yesterday and Brina's bring me these clothes to try on?"

I nodded.

"As it turns out, Brina is... adventurous... shall we say," Pinkerpie purred lasciviously. Raising her chin to me she added with a smile and a wink, she continued, "She's curious, about men... and women."

"Oh!" I replied and immediately felt stupid for my answer and for being surprised.

Pinkerpie giggled as she regarded me in mild surprise of her own before purring, "Interesting, I would have thought a man with three wives wouldn't be surprised by anything. Needless to say, if you're up for an extra bed warmer tonight, she's more than amicable to warming us both up in exchange for a good warming up for her as well."

Looking over at Brina, I had to admit, it was very tempting. Brina was young and very beautiful, but I already had three wives. Giving Pinkerpie a flat stare I responded, "No. Have you not met my wife, Birdette Anvilsplitter? She'd kill me! She'd kill us both!"

Pinkerpie chuckled as she nodded her head as she acquiesced, "I do! You're probably right, though, how would she know what we've been up to all the way over here?"

Shaking my head, my voice firmed now that I had made my decision, "I... would know. Also, Birdette has a way of sensing when things are off between us. I have no doubts she would know that I was unfaithful."

"Fine... fine," Pinkerpie chuckled, then grew quiet as she looked at me for a long minute before she asked, "So, would it bother you if I sought out a little side warming from Brina?"

I regarded Pinkerpie for a few minutes which were interrupted by Brina bringing over two tankards of hot spiced wine and a tray of cheese and bread. Once again she gave us both more than warm smiles and winks, then left again. Only once she was gone did I answer, "As long as it is Brina, and if there are any others I would like you to ask me before engaging in any extramarital affairs. Also, no males. I don't mind you being into females, but I am your only man!"

Pinkerpie smiled at me so sensually I was almost put on my guard before she purred, "You are the only male I have ever been interested in, Hruthgar Anvilsplitter. Such an apt surname for you. It is good you took Birdette's family name, cause you smash me like you're trying to split me in two everytime!"

"Pinkerpie!" I gasped, as my cheeks suddenly blushed three shades of red before I hissed, "Stop that! Everyone will hear!"

Pinkerpie chuckled and waved as if it were nothing before saying, "Let them hear that my man leaves me a heaving, drooling mess before you're done stuffing me to a satisfactorily seeded end!"

As she went on my eyebrows climbed to my hairline before I looked worriedly around the tavern room. Dwarves, elves, and humans crowded tables and ate, drank, and caroused in gaily. The room was loud and no one heard Pinkerpie over his or her own banter. Turning back to Pinkerpie she smirked before cutting her eyes to Brina, who had two plates of food in each hand.

"Brina! Come by our room tonight after your shift," Pinkerpie said loudly once her plate was in front of her, "In think I have a few tasks you can help me with. They may take you all night to get done though."

Leaning in Brina's emerald eyes flashed as she purred in a soft husky tone only we could hear, "It'll be me pleasure. See ye tonight. I'm sure I'm able to get anyth'n ye need do'n done to ye satisfaction."

"I'm sure you will," Pinkerpie retorted in a sensual purr that left nothing to be miss interpreted.

Brina smirked and this time Pinkerpie winked back.

----(!)----

After dinner I decided to take a walk. Kharanos was so much larger than the game designers made it out to be. The mountain behind Thunderbrew Distillery was speckled with dwarven mountain homes carved and cut out of the harsh terrain in haphazard order. It was only on closer observance and contemplation that I realized that the citizens of the small town gave each other space, both above ground and beneath it. Depending on families and wealth, dwarven homes were generally generic and utilitarian, but many of them could be far larger than others. Then there were carefully hidden stables, barns, pins, and kennels. Many of which were above ground, but there were a few that were at least halfway cut into the mountain.

Where there weren't homes large weather worn trees grew. Not many animals ventured close to the town but more than one guardman informed me that there were bears, wolves, and a variety of large cats prowling nearby, and that didn't even take into consideration the trog, wendigo, and trolls lurking nearby.

On my way back to the Inn I saw a middle aged dwarf woman pleading with a guard. Curious, I crossed the Anvilmar Road towards the Forge so that I could overhear.

"...Please Dugan, please! She's never been out this late before. Please will you go find her for me?" The woman begged.

"I understand Shaelah," Dugan replied in sympathetic tones, "I really do, but I can't leave me post tonight. Not even to find ye wee lass, Shaelah."

"Can ye help me then, Bosko," Shaelah beseeched pitifully.

Bosko just shook his head before answering, "I'll tell the captain of the watch, but I can't leave me post. It'd be a sight better'n for ye if this wasn't Mandalay's tenth time to runn'n off."

Dugan nodded in agreement.

"Please!" Shaelah begged in a shrill whine, "Please, I'm sure I can give ye a good idea of where she's run off to. Her and her da found a cave to the west with a strange new breed of wolf in it. Said the wolf was touched by the moon goddess, she was. Ye know, the one them elves worship. The wolf glowed white ev'n when there was no light at all! I'm sure Mandalay went there..."

I felt for the woman, but I had also done my fair share of resque quests and if there was one thing I lacked any pity for, it was for people that kept getting themselves into trouble. I saved them once, and then maybe even a second time, but after that, well, it was about time they figured out how to save themselves. The moon-touched wolf sparked my interest though.

I was halfway past them when I turned suddenly and asked, "Where is this moonwolf?"

Shaelah paused in her begging and turned to look up at me. She looked me up and down, and looked blatantly doubtful, but answered anyway, "To the west, my husband and daughter both said, in a shallow cave. There was no pack. She was alone except for a litter of pups. I'm sure my daughter went back to check on them even after I told her not to..."

She trailed off as she approached me. I didn't realize she was in front of me until she grabbed my sleeve and tugged gently as she asked, "Please sir, you look capable, will you go find my daughter and bring her home? I... I will reward you with anything you want..."

With an offer of anything I finally looked at Shaelah. I really looked at her. She was really very pretty for a dwarf woman in her middle years. She had clear glacial blue eyes, pale white skin with blue undertones, and long curly auburn hair that fell in two thick braids all the way to the backs of her knees. She was thick and curvy but no more than any hearty dwarf woman. As a matter of fact I was hard pressed to find an ounce of fat on her that wasn't in the most impressive bosom I've ever seen.

Both Dugan and Bosko grumbled about desperate women and vagabonds taking advantage, but they quieted when I gave them both a flat stare. It didn't stop them from glaring though. Taking Shaelah's hand I caressed her cheek and wiped her tears away before I answered her, "Missus Shaelah, I will find your daughter."

She immediately sighed in relief, and I grinned as I continued, "The only thing I ask of you good woman is for a letter of recommendation. You see, I need to buy some rams for pulling wagons, and I'm afraid that the Amberstill's won't sell to me unless I'm seen as a friend and ally to good people of Khaz Modan."

Shaelah's bright blue eyes went nearly as wide open as saucers and her broad smile was irrepressible. Nodding vigorously she nearly giggled, "Yes! Yes, of course! I will write a glowing letter of recommendation for you, good sir!"

Giving her a light kiss on her forehead I stepped back, but before I could leave Dugan yelled, "Come back to me when you find the girl. Dead or alive, I will make sure you get your letter."

"For what you've done on Shaelah's behalf," Bosko added, then paused before finishing, "And for what you did not ask for as a reward."

I nodded, then replied, "I too have a wife, and a daughter."

They nodded in understanding, then I left Shaelah standing there in front of the Forge. Hitching my cloak up onto my shoulders, I flipped the hood up, and set off down the mountain side. The glow of light inside the windows dwarven mountain homes came and went. The temperature started dropping as the sun touched the distant peaks of Khaz Modan. When the snow turned too soft to walk on easily I slid my feet into snow shoes and trudged on.

Squirrels chittered in trees. Rabbits hopped in the dark hiding spots below, and more than one artic fox watched me from the entrances of their dens. As the light died I reached inward and relied on my Beast Tracking skill. When a brave fox ventured close, I reached out with my mind and held out dried meat to see if I could tame the animal. Our minds met and linked, and in the briefest of moments we could communicate.

Pinkender
Pinkender
1,179 Followers
12