Baker and Jones Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, what, you've come to rescue me from myself?"

Simon smiles once more. "I believe I have been led to the exact place needed to save you, Miss Baker."

She stomachs her pride and forces a pained look upon her face, finally deciding upon a course of action. "I'm so deeply controlled by this vice," she lies, letting her voice grow weary and desperate. "I'm unsure of how to be free."

"I understand, Miss Baker," Simon nods, his voice dropping innocently. "Temptations of the flesh are amongst the most common to experience, as well as most consuming."

"How can I be free of it?" She slides down the wall, dropping to her knees and wishing she knew how to cry on command.

"Trust in the Lord," Simon affirms. "But it will take time. You have already made the greatest leap in your healing this evening, to step away from sin whilst in the act. It takes great courage to do so."

She nods and softly rests her head against the wall, feigning weariness. It takes less effort to pretend than she'd like, she still feels the waves of sensations from Samantha's touch rock over her. The image of her euphoric face gazing upon Annette's delight would surely visit her in bed later tonight. She's furious that Simon had interrupted them.

"Come visit me after service this Sunday," he tells her. "We might take a turn about the city together, and perhaps you could see that I might be a most agreeable partner for you in this endeavor."

"You... you wish to court me?"

He blushes, trying to hide his affection. "I see it as my duty, Miss Baker. There is no higher calling than obedience to God's directions."

"...Very well," Annette mutters. If all she has to do to keep her secret safe is to string Simon along until she can develop a new plan... she could do it. She's not sure what exactly a plan might entail, but at least she might secure a delay in repercussions.

"I'm overjoyed!" Simon swings his hands at his side excitedly. "Might we pray, Miss Baker?"

Annette restrains a sigh. "If we must."

He kneels down as Annette stares off into the distance towards Samantha's departure, wondering if she would be able to sneak away to the Fleeting Faery anytime soon.

- - -

"You've been busy this evening," Cordelia says in the carriage ride home. Annette glares out the window with a look of consternation on her face. "Where did you disappear off to?"

"Where did you?"

Cordelia smiles. "Fair enough, Annette, I suppose you've earned some secrecy. What of Brimwell's fish?"

"I have plenty of recommendations of locations for your new hobby, should you desire," Annette mumbles, feeling her head lightly bounce against the carriage as it rocks along the cobblestones.

"Come now, that can't be all you've discovered."

"From what I gathered," she continues tiredly, "Mister Bembrook attempted to run a railroad through his property, disrupting Brimwell's lake in the process."

"Do you believe you spoke to the author of the letter?"

Annette nods slowly, forehead pressed against the window. "I do."

"Why?"

"Something about his attitude," she mutters. "Unless his sons somehow care about fishing more than him, I'd wager it was him."

"May I let you in on an important detail, Miss Baker?"

"What?"

"Lord Brimwell has no sons."

Annette furrows her brow in confusion for a moment, but then the understanding sets in. Cordelia didn't need the second half of the letter to identify the writer; if it was a gentleman from Trentchton Hall, the only possibility was Lord Brimwell himself. She sighs with exasperation.

"And you felt no need to share this with me?" She grumbles.

Cordelia smiles, free and light. "I didn't wish to negate your hard work in retrieving the letter."

"So instead you forced me to go to a ball? Why?"

"I am invested in understanding your abilities," Cordelia answers simply. "I wish to see what you are capable of, Annette."

"Why?"

Cordelia is silent for a long moment. She stares out the window, leaning her elbow against the armrest and resting her head in her palm. She takes a few long breaths, mulling over the proper response. "You intrigue me," she says softly.

"And because of your intrigue, I am subject to an endless array of tests?" Annette lets her head drift back, feeling a mild headache set in.

"Not endless," Cordelia pips.

"A small comfort."

"You aren't afraid of me tonight," the detective announces, her voice filled with a tone that is both sweet and important. She smiles to herself and returns to staring out the window.

Annette sits in silence as she considers Cordelia's words, wondering why she so often seemed concerned with whether or not Annette feared her. Something about the lack of fear seems to reassure Cordelia, and with each passing day Annette can feel her comfort increase. For a breath or two, she considers asking about it, though she decides not to. After the frustrations and difficulties of this evening, Annette would rather leave it be.

Cordelia slowly pulls something out of her pocket, directing Annette's attention to it. She frowns upon seeing that it's a railroad spike.

"Why... why do you have that?" Annette asks nervously.

"I displayed it to Lord Brimwell after you disappeared," she replies. "He was most displeased to be confronted with it."

"So you believe he might be the killer?"

"I believe that he found it upsetting," Cordelia answers noncommittally. "You look tired, Annette. Rest up, I'll have work for you tomorrow."