Baker and Jones Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I've been a collar for most of my life," Penny states neutrally. "These days, I get to take my pick of the best spots for myself."

"Winchester seems..."

Penny chuckles and understands her meaning. "He is at times an adolescent boy trapped within the body of a man far too old to act in such a way. But, the work here is surprisingly light with so many servants, and the countryside is lovely."

"Thank you for not revealing me to either of them."

Penny nods. "Were you listening for the sake of curiosity? Or has Miss Jones finally convinced someone to become her sidekick?"

"Closer to the second," Annette admits. "Though, I'm not her sidekick."

Penny shakes her head, the air of a woman who has seen too many things to believe anything otherwise covering her. "There's only enough room in her head to focus on herself, dearie. Don't overextend yourself or get into further trouble for a woman who won't look past her tea. You've got to keep yourself safe."

"I'm a partner in her investigations."

"Miss Jones doesn't have partners, or friends," Penny shrugs. "Seen it enough myself in my time there. She'll use you 'till you're spent and then she'll move along when she's bored. I was smart and kept my distance from that emotional carnage."

Annette feels a prickle of defensiveness in her chest. "That's not the Cordelia I know."

"It'll come out eventually. Best to stay clear and keep your distance before she implodes once again," Penny waves away her objection. After a moment, she adds, "And please, tell me nothing and ask me nothing about your time here in Lamishton. I'd rather keep my hands clean."

"I believe she is a remarkable woman," Annette asserts, feeling a bristling warmth in her chest and face. "She's become something of a friend of mine."

Penny's brow lowers. "You are aware she's a...?"

"It seems many people were aware of her lesbianism before I was."

"Now, I don't have much of a problem with it myself," Penny holds up her hands, "but you'll want to be careful of associating too closely with her if you want to take on more respectable owners after this contract." She lets out a breath, seeming as though she's passed along all the warnings and advice weighing on her. "Might I fix you a cup of tea?"

"No," Annette says quietly. "No, I best be getting to bed."

Annette stands and bids Penny farewell, feeling a sour taste in her throat. She exits the servant's quarters, pausing for a long moment in the hall. She sighs, once again confused that no one seemed able to see past Cordelia's flaws enough to understand the beautiful person underneath. A small part of her wonders if she was truly as naive as Penny seemed to think she was; that perhaps Cordelia would dispose of her once Annette no longer interested her. She pushes away the thought as a hollowness fills her stomach. She sighs and pulls out the letter from Winchester's office, unfolding it in a quiet corner of the house.

Then it is so. I will follow through on my end. B&H will be pleased.

This courier you've sent me is highly improper, and you know I despise this. If she is your ally, do not send her to me again. If she is your enemy, you ought to remove her.

Annette lets out a low groan. Her risks paid off little. B&H likely refers to Benton & Hayle, implying they're somehow wrapped up in whatever is happening, but this was already established by whatever strange conversation she'd overheard between Hayle and Winchester. She'd leveraged so much to gain this information, and while it might be enough to intrigue Jarl, he was not likely to be pleased with how aggressive she'd been in her pursuit. There wasn't a chance Winchester or his mysterious brother, Darrius, would communicate in such a way again. Their lead was gone.

She begins to ascend the stairs up to the room Samantha had offered to her, a small bedroom in their wing of the home, but sighs and halts halfway up. Annette wishes simply to be home, back in her own bed. She wants to see Cordelia, to let her hold Annette and know that she is safe.

She rises the rest of the way and enters her room, plucking her coat off of the bed and feeling her decision settle in her chest. She slips her boots on once more and stops by the kitchen to poach a few morsels of food for the road. She makes her way out the front doors, hardly caring for the noise she was creating anymore, and begins the long walk home to see Cordelia.