Bakersfield and Country Music

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

By 1 am, the scotch was gone, and I was on the verge of collapse. I walked back in and closed the door. I laid on the bed that we'd made love on the night before. I thought about her briefly before the scotch took over and I fell asleep.

---

After I was home, Maria didn't leave my mind, despite how much I wished she would. I tried to bury thoughts of her with work, but I found that I couldn't focus on work enough to do that. There was always downtime every day and those times were filled with her. I found myself listening to old country and western songs and imagining Maria singing them. It was difficult to say the least, but I continually tried to put that weekend in Bakersfield behind me.

Six weeks after I got home, I was sitting at my desk when my phone rang. I reached for it and saw it was Bob Higgins.

"Hey Bob," I answered. After the usual pleasantries, Bob got down to business as was his custom.

"John, I really like the specs of the shovels and loaders you sent. The thing is, I think we might we need more equipment from you than I initially told you," he said.

"Bob, you know me. We'll get you whatever you need," I said.

"I just sent you an email," he said. My laptop beeped and I clicked the mouse on Outlook. I opened his email and it took all of my self-control to remain calm.

"That's quite a list, Bob," I said.

"I know it is," Bob replied. "We found out yesterday that we won three huge contracts that we honestly should have only bid on one. I'm talking ten years' worth of work. I'll probably turn things over to Bob Jr. and Jana before it's finished." He was referring to his son and daughter.

"I understand," I said calmly.

"I talked to Komatsu already. They told me no fucking way," he replied.

"You know I'll never tell you that," I said.

"That's why I'm calling. You personally have never let us down in 20 years," he said. I nodded to myself, thankful I'd spent that Saturday with him repairing the relationship. "So, what are you going to be able to do?"

"I'll have to call in bunch of favors but I'm sure we can get this done. I'll be honest, I'm gonna have to pull some of this from the rental fleet at first to get you going but I'll get you rates that will be just like you own it. After that, we'll be delivering new equipment as soon as it's ready and I'll go to the plants and chew ass until they have it ready if necessary."

"That's fair enough," he laughed. "I've got one more thing."

"What's that," I asked.

"I want you out here coordinating with me, John," he said. "I need to be able to lay hands on you for the duration. Your branch manager is okay, but I'm about to be up to my ass in alligators and I want someone that I can really count on."

I paused briefly knowing what that might mean. My son was already a plane ride away from me. It wasn't that much further. Then there was Maria. Would she even still be interested? I reminded myself that needed to be a secondary consideration. Bob's request was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I could ride this into a very comfortable retirement. I had to take it.

"Bob, give me a couple weeks to get things set in motion, but I'll be there," I replied.

"That's the answer I was hoping for. See you soon," he said. We said our goodbyes and I leaned back in my chair. I needed to call my boss immediately. I reached for the phone and punched up the number...

---

Friday, October 11, 2019: Bakersfield, CA

Three weeks later after my conversation with Bob, I was sitting at a table in front of the stage again. Jenny, the waitress from a month before walked by and saw me.

"Well, how are you stranger," she asked.

"I'm fine and you," I replied.

"Still working in this dive," she smiled. "Can I get you a beer?"

"Sure," I smiled and she turned away. The crazy bluegrass band was setting up their instruments. It looked as if they band members had swapped hair colors since my previous visit. Soon, the waitress returned with my beer.

"Thanks," I smiled. My mind focused on the obvious. "Will Maria be here tonight?"

The waitress smiled, but shook her head no.

"Just not tonight," I asked

"No, I don't know when she'll be back," she said. "The boss has been trying, but they haven't been here in weeks. Last I heard, they were playing over at the Ranchero Club."

"Oh, okay. Thanks," I replied. The waitress moved on to another table and I took a long pull on my beer. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw that the Ranchero Club was just a few streets over. My mind churned. I wondered if I should even go. I didn't want to make a scene, but I wanted her to know I was in town and I wanted to see if we could build a relationship beyond one wonderful night. I finished my beer and left a twenty on the table. I walked back to the hotel and got in my truck. In just a few minutes, I was pulling in the parking lot of the Ranchero Club.

From the outside, the place looked to be much nicer than the Palomino. Once inside, I realized it was just a façade as it was every bit as dingy and smoky. I managed to find a table down front and ordered a beer. I sipped it slowly as I surveyed the crowd. A man came out on the stage and announced that Maria and her band would be on-stage shortly. I felt my chest tighten as I anticipated seeing her again.

The various band members filtered on-stage and I waited for Maria. The band began playing Patsy Cline's version of "Sweet Dreams" and I saw Maria emerge through the curtains. She wore a black dress that was shorter than I'd seen her in before, along with black nylons and impossibly high heels. She looked like something from a movie. She strode slowly to the microphone and I don't think I blinked the entire time. She began:

"Sweet dreams of you,
Every night I go through,
Why can't I forget you and start my life anew,
Instead of having sweet dreams about you."

As she finished the first verse, she turned and our eyes met. I saw her reaction for just a moment, but she quickly turned back away from me before she started to sing again.

"You don't love me, it's plain,
I should know I'll never wear your ring,
I should hate you, the whole night through,
Instead of having sweet dreams about you."

Those words struck me deeply, whether that was what she was feeling or not. I listened to her and realized I was holding my breath as the song finished. The crowd erupted and she took a quick bow before the band launched into an old Earnest Tubb song. It much more upbeat and Maria smiled broadly as she sang.

The next few songs were equally upbeat before they finished the set with "Sea of Heartbreak". The crowd cheered as Maria and the band left the stage momentarily. The waitress passed by and I ordered another beer. Just after it arrived and I paid, Maria sat down at the table across from me. Even in dim light, I could see the fire in her dark eyes. She crossed her bare arms in front of her.

"Why are you here," she practically spat.

"I wanted to see you," I said.

"That's not good enough," she replied.

"I did Maria. I'm sorry," I said. "Look, I got transferred here and I wanted to find you."

"I'm not a welcoming committee," she said dryly.

"I didn't say that you were," I replied. "Now, that I'm here, I was hoping we could get to know one another better."

"Were you," she asked before she rolled her eyes at me.

"Maria, what is it? Is it me? Honestly, why do you not want to see if we can have something more than one wonderful night," I asked.

"I told you before," she said softly.

"That's not a good enough reason for me," I said.

"That's all the reason I'm giving," she said.

The waitress came by again.

"Can I get you anything," I asked.

She smiled at the waitress and said, "My usual, please."

Maria and I stared at one another in uneasy silence. She finally turned away for a long moment. The waitress returned with a class of ice water and Maria thanked her.

"When do you have to go back on stage," I asked.

"In thirty minutes," Maria replied. "I should probably be going." She took a last sip of her water and her thin hand rested on the table. I seized the opportunity and took it in my own.

"Please don't go yet," I said.

"John, I need to. The guys wanted to go over the next set," she said as stood. She didn't pull her hand away from me.

"Can I see you again tonight," I asked.

"Maybe. I, look I don't know. I didn't plan on seeing you again," she said and turned to walk away, but her hand still didn't let go of mine.

"Please Maria," I said. "I may be crazy, we hardly know one another, but I think we can build something amazing."

She whirled on her heels and stared at me. "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

"No, not until you tell me to fuck off and that you never want to see me again," I replied.

She shook her head slowly and turned once again. I released her hand and she disappeared backstage before I sat back in my chair.

It was a long 30 minutes before she appeared back on stage. They started with two songs I'd not heard them play before they returned to what I knew were their regular standards. The lighting in the new club was better, and I could see her more clearly. At first, she avoided looking my way, but after a few songs she would glance at me. After one glance I saw her smile at me between verses.

They finished and filed off stage to prepare for the headlining act. I didn't know if should sit and wait for her or go to the parking lot in case she tried to slip away again. I decided I'd just stay put. It would have to be her decision; I'd told her what I felt. I'd know soon enough either way.

I waited for at least 20 minutes and fought the temptation to order another beer or something stronger when she didn't appear. I'd slid my chair back and prepared to stand before I felt obliviously female fingertips grazing across my back.

"I hope you weren't leaving," Maria said as she slid into the chair next to me.

"The thought crossed my mind. I thought maybe I would get stood up again," I replied.

"Sorry, we had to talk to the manager before we left, but that also was a little test all on its own," she smiled.

"Did I pass," I asked.

"You passed the moment you came in here tonight," she smiled.

"Good," I said reaching for her hand. "I have to know if we can share something Maria. Especially now that I'm here with you."

"I understand, John," she replied. "And I would like that very much."

I smiled at her and when she smiled back, her eyes seemed to twinkle.

"Come on, let's get out of here," she said nodding to the door.

"Sounds perfect to me," I replied. I took her hand and led her through the crowded bar...