Baseball Ch. 09: Play at the Plate

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We ate, and the conversation was light and freeing. Then as we finished dinner, she brought up wedding planning. The team's season had just wrapped up, and she had more time to start talking about our plans.

"And you've got time on your hands too, until you figure out what to do next," she said.

"I'm going to heal and play next season," I said bluntly.

"I know you want to, and I want you to play. But maybe we need to come up with a backup plan."

"I don't need a backup plan."

"I just don't want you to sit on the couch all year long, Johnny."

I grunted, with no good comeback.

"Maybe you could help around the front office," she offered. It was meant to be helpful, but at the time I just saw it as a pity handout.

"I don't want to work in your front office!" I said, raising my voice. "I don't want to be your gofer!"

"Well then fine," she said, raising her voice to match. "Then what do you want to do? Even if you could play, you're not going to be doing it very long. And you're probably not going back to the major leagues!"

There it was. It was the realization of the inevitable. I would never be called back to Philadelphia, or any other major league team. My dream of being a major league catcher was over. We both knew it. And it made me irrationally angry.

I picked up my glass and threw it at the wall, smashing it. Casey's eyes got wide in surprise, then narrowed in anger. Then wide again when I grabbed the plate that was in front of me.

"NO!" she screamed. She dove at me, grabbing the plate, keeping me from throwing it too. She wrenched it from my hands, then grabbed the other plates too, and ran into our bedroom with them. She slammed the door and locked it.

I waited and calmed myself. I looked at the shattered glass that I'd thrown. That was way out of line. I cleaned up my mess and blew out the candles. When I was done, I tapped softly on the bedroom door. "Casey?" There was no answer. "Casey, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. Can we please talk?"

"Go away!"

"Baby, I love you. Please let me in?"

"I said go away!"

I spent the night in the den. Alone and miserable.

----

I woke up to a violent slap in the face. I opened my eyes to see Lani standing above me. "Wake up, asshole."

"Ow." I rubbed my face. "I guess I deserved that."

"Are you done with your temper tantrum?"

"Yes. Where's Casey?"

"Gone. She told me what you did last night," she said, "and I'll tell you this for free: it's a damn good thing you didn't smash that plate. If you had, you can kiss your balls goodbye."

"What?" I said, sitting up. "What about the plate?"

"You almost smashed a piece of antique china. Literally irreplaceable. It was Casey's mother's. That small set was her grandmother's."

I felt nauseous at learning that. "Oh my God. I didn't know."

"She used those plates to try to make you a nice meal and get you out of your stupid rut."

"I tried to apologize last night, but she wouldn't have it. You've got to help me, Lani."

She sneered at me. "Why the hell should I? I told Casey we should kick your ass out, into the street. She said no, for some reason."

"I know I don't deserve your help. But I love Casey. And if she doesn't want me gone, I think she still might love me too. Please."

"No. You're on your own." She went to leave, but then turned around. "Casey's really mad. She asked me not to tell you where she is, but she's at her father's house. I recommend not going there unless you want to die at his hands."

I nodded, knowing JJ Wentworth would kill me. I needed to find a way to apologize and make up for what I did, preferably without dying.

Lani had left for the day, so I was alone in the apartment. I went to the bedroom I shared with Casey. The door was now open. I spotted the dishes, still with remnants of last night's dinner on them, stacked in the corner.

That was the first step. I took the dishes and gently washed them and dried them, and placed them back into a neat stack on the kitchen counter. They were just two salad bills and two dinner plates. They seemed like such a small stack, but incredibly valuable.

I knew what I could do. But it would take some time. So I packed a bag, enough clothes for a few days away. Then, before I left the apartment, I left a note for Casey.

My perfect love,

There aren't words to express how sorry I am. I had no idea what I was about to do when I held up that plate. I realize now that it wasn't just a dish that would shatter, but your love.

I'm taking a few days away to give you space. I'll be back soon. Please know that you still hold my heart and my soul. Again, I apologize for everything, not just last night, but for all of my behavior since my injury. I haven't been worthy of you, and I want to strive to be that man again.

Then, I used my first-hit baseball as a paperweight for the note. It was my most-prized possession, and leaving it behind might get it destroyed by Casey and/or Lani. But it was a sign that meant I'd be back.

----

It took two days to find what I needed, and two more days to make the purchase. I thought I got a good deal, as I would've easily paid twice as much as the asking price. Then another day to get home.

I had left on a Sunday, after our Saturday night fiasco. When I returned on Friday, late in the afternoon, I knocked on the door to our apartment, even though I lived there and had a key. Casey opened it and was stunned to see me, then she wrapped her arms around me. It was at least nice to know she missed me. And even in a sweatshirt and yoga pants, hair not done and no makeup, she was still the most beautiful sight, especially after a week on the road, spending nights in hotels, lugging myself around on my cane.

"I brought you a gift," I told her, tapping the box on the floor with my cane.

"How'd you get it up here?" she asked, eyeing me and the box.

"Very, very slowly. And very carefully." She picked up the box for me, and I brought my bag and ambled inside after her.

She set the box on the table and hugged me again. "I missed you."

"I missed you too. And I'm so, so sorry. I promise that from now on, I'm going to do whatever it takes to deserve you."

"Just go back to being you," she told me. "That's what I want. That's who I fell in love with."

"I love you. Now, open your gift."

Lani came home just in time to see me sitting there, and she gave me an evil glare. Then she saw what Casey was pulling out of the box, and the glare quickly dissolved.

I'd gone and found the rest of the dishes of the china set. Two more plates and bowls, and also four small dessert plates. "There's also four teacups and saucers, they'll be here Monday," I explained.

Casey tearfully stroked the dishes with her fingers. "Where did you find all this?"

"The internet, mostly. Took me a long time to track down. I found the other two plates and bowls in Philly. Then I had to fly to Texas to get the dessert plates. The teacups are coming from Toronto. I'd have gotten them myself too, but I left my passport here."

Casey put the dishes down and leapt into me, peppering me with kisses. "Thank you. This means so much," she told me. "It must have cost a fortune."

It had been expensive. Especially the flights. I also was annoyed at getting my knee repeatedly patted down by airport security, though I'd have to get used to that. "It doesn't matter how much it cost. It's worth every penny, for you." Then I stood, helping her up. "And that's not all. Since I ruined our dinner last week, I'm making it up with a proper date night, tonight. Let's get dressed, we have dinner reservations."

Casey looked to Lani, who gave an approving nod, and went into the bedroom to change. I apologized to Lani as well, for being a terrible roommate and friend. She apologized for slapping me, but I told her to slap me again if I ever did something that stupid again.

Casey showered and changed in the bathroom. By the time she came out, I was dressed in a suit and tie. She was wearing a green dress that really made her eyes pop, and I told her so. Her hair was done up again, like last week.

I insisted on driving us, and she let me, on the condition that she'd drive us home. She was surprised when I drove us down to Philadelphia, and we ate at one of the best restaurants I'd ever eaten at. Then I pulled the tickets out of my jacket pocket. We were going to see the orchestra. I wasn't a huge classical music fan, and neither was she, but we both thoroughly enjoyed the show. Being a musician, in many ways, is like being an athlete, and I appreciate the talent and hard work it takes to put together a performance like that.

As she drove us back home, she said, "It's nice to be on a proper date again."

"I'm sorry, I was a real pile of shit for a while there."

"No, first you were injured, then you were recuperating. Then you were a pile of shit." She glanced over at me while driving. "Do you remember the promise you made before you left for Miami?"

I searched my brain. "I remember swearing my love for you as you gave me head."

"You promised that when you returned, you'd love me, fuck me, and marry me. You've only done one of those so far. Maybe."

Now that she said it, I did recall that. And she was 100% right. I hadn't married her yet. I hadn't been intimate with her since the day I left. And I had done a half-ass job of showing her how much I loved her.

"You're right. You deserve better. And I'm going to do better. For you."

"Not for me," she answered, "for us."

When we got home, she led me to our bedroom and helped me out of my shirt and pants. Then she lifted her dress over her head and off, tossing it on the floor. "Were you seriously not wearing underwear the whole night?" I asked, staring at her suddenly uncovered mound, bare except for the small blonde strip she liked to keep there.

"Yes. And I hope you're hungry for dessert." Casey pushed me down on the bed, laying flat on my back. Still wearing her black lacy bra, she straddled my face. "I'm serving some delicious pie."

"My favorite flavor," I said, and gave her a tender lick, bottom to top. She bit her lip, stifling a small whimper. I gave her those slow, gentle licks, torturing her as she crouched above me.

"Oh, Johnny, yes," she sighed as I tasted and teased. "I missed this. Make me come on your face."

I looped my arms around her thighs to bring her closer to my face. Now, I was really able to attack her clit. With that direct assault, her voice climbed to another level of volume. "Oh God! Yes, lick me there, right there! Yes, almost, almost, yes, YES!" She came, and a little stream of warm liquid flowed over my chin. "I guess you haven't forgotten how to do that," she said, a pleased smile on her face.

"I might be a little rusty still. I could use more practice," I said, looking up at her gorgeous body.

"Maybe later. Now, let's see how your little friend is doing." She backed herself up and found my dick pitching a tent in my boxers. "Oh, hello," she told him as she pulled my underwear off. "I bet you've missed me."

"He has," I answered for him.

Casey lowered herself onto me. "Hmmm," she groaned. "I think he's a little bigger than I remember. Or maybe I'm tighter from going without." She gave me a pointed look.

"I did say I was sorry," I pleaded.

"I know, but," she raised up and came down again, taking me a little deeper, "oh, it feels big. I love your big dick." She started to ride me, gently. She leaned forward, which I was thankful for. Sometimes when she leaned back, she'd put her hands on my knees, and I was still a little paranoid about that. Instead, she put her hands on my shoulders.

"Oh, baby, you're amazing," I told her.

"Don't you... ever... forget it," she responded, not letting up on me. She masterfully rode my dick, and looked like a goddess while doing it. She pulled a pin from her head, and let her blonde hair cascade down her shoulders. I kicked myself for ever letting myself get lazy. I needed to make sure Casey always knew, every day, that I was completely devoted to her.

That was my thought as I came, kicking off her orgasm. Everything that I had and that I was should belong to this wonderful woman, my Mighty Casey.

----

After that night, I doubled my efforts to be a better man for Casey. That also went with being a better friend, roommate, brother, son, and teammate to all my relationships. Over that winter, I visited Ohio. I did more than my share of cleaning the apartment. I cooked for Casey and Lani. I spent time watching teammates train and gave input. I exercised as much as I was allowed by my doctors. And finally, I saw a therapist for a few months to help me deal with the mental toll from my physical injury.

Eventually, spring rolled around. I did go down to spring training with the team, and Casey went too. They let me do some drills, but not everything. They let me jog, and do some limited running. I did a little batting practice. But the team doctors refused to let me crouch into catching position. Even when I tried, I had tightness in my left knee and it hurt.

It didn't take long for Chuck, and the other managers from the other three minor league levels, to call me in for a meeting. It was me, four managers, and a couple of physical trainers, including Linda, who I'd kept working with over the winter.

Chuck started. "Johnny, we, uh, we can't let you catch this year. I don't know if your knee will be better next year, but based on my experience, it won't. I've conferred with my counterparts here, and they all agree, we can't have you hurting yourself."

I figured he would say that. "Yeah."

"We all appreciate your skills. You've still got some batting potential. And you're a leader on the team. So we wanted to discuss some options with you."

"Okay, shoot."

"Option one: we move you to first base. Problem there is that you're not ready to play it at a Triple A level. We'd start you over there with Bud," Chuck nodded at Bud Bradley, one of the Single A managers, "and we'll see how you progress. If you do well, maybe we move you up to Double A."

I slumped. I really didn't want to get sent all the way down to Single A. Not when I'd gotten a taste of the majors.

"Option two: we talk to the GMs and see about getting you traded to an AL team. You could play DH, and not have to field at all."

I frowned a little, but it might be better than going down and relearning a new position.

"Option three: you hang it up," Chuck paused for a second, to gauge my stunned reaction, "and join us as a coach. You've got insight and experience, and you'd be useful to us."

I nodded. I'd thought about being a coach, but only after a full career as a player, not in my late twenties. "Can I have time to think about it?" I asked.

"Sure. Take the rest of the day. Come talk to me tomorrow," Chuck said, and he and the other managers started to file out of the room.

Linda was right behind them, but I caught her on her way out. "What do you think?" I asked.

"I think it depends on what you want. Do you want to play? If you do, it won't be in LeHigh Valley. I'd talk to Casey about that."

----

I did talk to Casey. We'd rented a small apartment for the spring training months. It reminded me of my small apartment back in Allentown.

She mulled over the options with me. Finally, she told me, "I don't want you to give up your dream."

"My dream was to be a catcher."

"But you can still play, if you want."

"If I do that, it will be elsewhere. It means being apart from you, and putting off our wedding longer."

"It's okay..."

I cut her off. "It's not okay. It's not okay that we've been putting it off this long."

"But your dreams... are you just giving up?" she asked.

"I... I don't have an answer for that," I said. "Chuck wants to talk more tomorrow."

"I know." She came over and sat on my lap, wrapping her arms around me. "Do you know what I'd do in your place?"

I thought, but shook my head. "Not really, no."

"I'd keep playing."

That was a bit of a surprise. "Really?"

"Yes, really. You are talented, Johnny. Not many people get to play professional baseball like you do. You can still have a shot. You just need to keep at it." She kissed me.

"But what about you?"

"You have me, Johnny." She held up her left hand, letting the ring glimmer in the light. "I said I'd marry you, and I meant it. We can figure it out."

I couldn't help but smile. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now, if you're not too tired from practice, take me to the bedroom."

I'd never be too tired for that. I stood, holding her in my arms, and carried her to the bed. We made love slowly, and fell asleep in each other's arms. Then we woke in the morning, and had a little bit more fun in the shower before I had to report back to the practice fields. It's a amazing what a little good sex can do to clear your head and help you think.

When I met with Chuck that afternoon, I had made up my mind. "I'm not ready to give up," I told him. "Teach me to play first base."


12