Battle of the Folium Nebula

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The craft peeled off, moving slightly away from them as it gained speed. A laser targeting warning suddenly lit up the bottom half of his HUD, the words flashing in an alarming shade of red.

"Fuck me rigid, it's lasering us!" he said, frantically grabbing the twin control sticks.

The corvette pivoted, the view through the canopy panning rapidly, Lambert gunning it away from the strange ship, the straps of the harness securing him to his chair digging into his arms and thighs. He burned to high speed, the ship starting to rumble around him, ready to try and throw off incoming fire, and yet right as he was about to make another correction, the laser warning vanished.

"Incoming?" he asked. It was Alice who replied.

"Negative, no ordinance on visuals. I estimate the ship was scanning us before we escaped its sensor range."

Lambert flipped the ship in a one-eighty turn, applying counter-thrust to slow them down. He glanced at the camera feed tracking the ship, and saw it hadn't made any course changes itself. It was just moving away, almost in slow motion thanks to the camera's level of zoom. Even the cannons on the alien ship's belly hadn't moved.

"Who woulda thought eatin' would be a bad idea?" Carl grumbled through the channel. "Did we lose them?"

"I don't think they were even after us." Lambert directed the ship so they were in line with the strange vessels course, albeit much slower. "We must have spooked them."

"Crazy Suves probably thought we're UEC. I read somewhere that they use plasma to melt enemy ships."

"What are they doing out here?" Lambert wondered. As far as anyone knew, the Suvelians ignored humanity after first contact went down in shambles, and tended not to come anywhere close to human space, the aliens having gone dark for centuries. Considering they were the only aliens ever encountered, it was just another reason why he was ashamed of the Confederation and their ways.

"Stop askin' me these stupid questions, man," Carl complained. "I don't know jack about aliens."

"We're going lose them in this soup," Lambert said. The ship sensors assigned a white, unidentified tag to the alien craft that came up as a blip on his tactical view, the target moving towards the edge of their sensor range.

"What about the fart trail?" Carl said. "They're going off in a different direction. We should stick to it, if you ask me."

"Well I didn't ask you," Lambert said. "We've got alien ships operating dangerously close to the Hub. Kinda feels much more important than finding a ship that's been missing for nearly a month."

"Our orders were to find the missing ship," Alice interrupted. "I must protest against this decision."

"Noted. Anything else?"

The machine didn't reply.

"Good. Carl, power down any non-critical systems, I don't want us on their radar, or whatever it is they're using. I'll mark our coordinates down so we can find the fuel trail later."

"UFO hunting it is," Carl replied, some of the lights in the hatchway behind the cockpit switching off. "What are the rules of alien contact again?"

"Don't launch missiles unless they do first. We stay weapons cold, and we'll already be doing better than the UEC ever did."

2

Lambert kept the alien ship just inside their sensor range, not really sure if they were within their range of detection. It didn't appear so, since it had not changed course much aside from avoiding a few stray asteroids, though he kept a close watch on its huge weapons all the same.

The screen on his left displayed the camera tracking the alien craft as they pursued, the pink of the nebula contrasting against its silver and orange hull. The filter was grainy at this level of zoom, but Carl's description of the ship had been accurate. The thing looked a bit like a stingray from Earth's oceans, with the curved 'mouth', the fins on the sides, and the huge tails on the back.

It was bulbous rather than sleek, and Lambert watched the engines on its back and belly light up as it simulated banking motions as it navigated the nebula. They seemed to do nothing more than use up fuel, which surprised Lambert. He'd burned through a good portion of fuel when that laser warning had shown up earlier, and this alien ship seemed woefully inefficient by design. Maybe the aliens just missed gravity and wanted to bring a piece of it into space. He remembered how long it took him to get used to flying in zero-g compared to atmosphere.

But despite its lacklustre efficiency, the ship was surrounded by that ovaloid arrangement of polygons, a wavering forcefield like those out of old sci-fi movies. It appeared as if it was surrounded by a glittering, transparent disco ball, each pane sparkling as they angled and morphed. He wondered if the ship could fire through the shield, or if it even was a shield, or some other strange technology beyond his comprehension.

He could make out the cockpit canopy, at least what he thought was the canopy, situated high and to the front of the ship between the frontal horns. It was wide and tall, a bump in the silver hull wide enough for two pilots to see through, much larger than his own canopy.

"It is an unusual vessel," Alice said, as if reading Lambert's thoughts. "what do you make of it, sir?"

It only ever called Lambert sir, so he knew it was talking to him. "It's not human, that's for sure. Looks like a... a bird mixed with a fish."

"Perhaps the builders reflected this design off one of their native creatures," Alice mused. "Just as humans do. I wonder what ecosystem they come from."

"Are there any photos or videos of Suvelian ships on record?" he asked. "I know what Suvelians look like, but not their tech."

"Scanning. Negative, sir. There was only a handful of instances where humans and Suvelians met, and all such occurrences have been sealed and deleted by the UEC."

"Another coverup, why am I not surprised?" Lambert studied the alien ship, the grainy feed and the shiny shield making the view fuzzy. "I heard the Suvelians were a lot more advanced than we are, but that thing looks like its chugging down fuel. And if they're not a fan of humans, why come this close to our space?"

"I would shrug if I had the shoulders to do so," Alice informed him.

The alien ship vectored off, Lambert adjusting course with it. For half an hour more they followed, keeping it as far away as possible without losing it altogether. At one point it banked off to the side, the engines on its top and bottom swivelling round to counter their inertia and bring it to a halt.

"It's stopped," Lambert said, flipping the corvette and likewise lowering their momentum. An asteroid passed between the great distance of the two ships, obscuring their vision for a moment before the view cleared.

"Maybe they've seen us?" Carl mused, but before he finished speaking the alien ship moved again, much slower now as it crawled through a curtain of gas creating an expansive wall to their Galactic north, the cloud swallowing it up as they pushed into the obscuring gas.

"Target lost," Alice reported.

"How did they not get vaporized in all that?" Carl asked.

"That shield must be protecting them," Lambert said. "Look, they've left a hole behind them."

As if a great drill had been taken to the cloud, a gap appeared where the alien ship had disappeared, the gas probably washing out of the shield's way like liquid.

"We'll go around," Lambert said. "Just to be safe."

The wall of gas stretched infinitely to the left and right, concave like the inside of a bowl, but came to a stop a couple kilometers up, like a giant cliff of grey air. Lambert set a course parallel to the gas, making a loop once they neared the top. The tactical view was going nuts, one entire half of the sphere flickering as the nearby energy overloaded their systems.

The minutes stretched on, and then Lambert made a turn, travelling over the gaseous curtain. Lambert's eyes widened as he saw a spinning rock twirling its way passed them, proximity warnings lighting up his face as his screens flashed exclamation marks at him.

It wasn't on a collision course, but Lambert held in a breath all the same as he maneuvered for more breathing room, memories of his first days piloting a spaceship coming to mind.

"One and a half kilometer gap, Cap, new record," Carl said. "Was that why they nicknamed you Grazer back in the day?"

"Shut it," he said, a camera on the flank of the ship letting him know the rock was safely behind them. He turned his attention back to the canopy, waiting for his systems to reinitialise.

He spotted the alien ship a couple dozen kilometers out, but this time, it wasn't alone.

It was on course to intercept a ship of immense size, big enough to see through the canopy without the use of his cameras. It was shaped a little like the letter U, the frontal section branching off into two longer modules, leaving a large empty space between. It was taller than it was wider, with fish-like fins sprouting out of the sides. Pockets of antennae poked out of the roof, some of their tips flashing in random colours. Like the first alien ship, it was decorated in orange highlights, arranged like windows all throughout the silvery hull. From the two ends trailed long, thin engines that were currently burning, coursing the ship off to the left.

There were two other, identical ships trailing behind it, one flipped over horizontally to expose its smooth belly. The cameras let Lambert see over the hundreds of kilometers like he was right there, zooming in on the angled ship. From inside the empty space between the ship branches, a smaller craft curved out from behind the hull. It was thin and sleek, with as small a radar cross-section as possible, sacrificing armour to make it as small a target as possible. Fins arranged in a tricorn sprouted out from the sides of the main engine, stretching like a limb from the rear, the vector nozzle contracting around a wide plume of orange flame.

The pilot's canopy sat all the way at the front, giving it an excellent view as it flipped on its y-axis, and fired a stream of yellow rounds from the autocannon mounted on its bow while it moved away. Hundreds of tracer-rounds found their mark across the giant alien ship, ripping up panels and armour as the high-explosive rounds drew a line across the hull.

It was a Raptor-class fighter, and unlike the alien ships, this one Lambert recognised. It was a United Earth Confederate strike craft, its prowess on full display as it flipped again, vector nozzles puffing gas as it put distance between itself and the alien ship.

"UEC fighters!?" Carl said, half in surprise and half in question. "This nebula is gettin' more packed by the minute."

"It's not alone," Alice added. "detecting five more Raptors in vector 287, plus one corvette signature."

Lambert adjusted one of the cameras mounted on the front, and zoomed in on a group of human ships, painted the standard black of the UEC navy. Five more Raptors were flying in a phalanx formation, along with a corvette at their rear. Since Lambert's own corvette was originally a captured UEC ship, the two corvettes were of similar design, except the Hub painted their ships with a few dark blue stripes to help identify friendlies.

As he watched, the squad of UEC fighters broke off, moving down to assist the forward Raptor. The group fanned out into a wide formation, turning their starboard sides towards the alien ships as they began to circle.

"That big ship's lookin' hurt," Carl said, noting how it appeared to be listing to the side. Perhaps the strafing run had hit a stabilizer. "Check it out, our friends are movin' in."

The alien scout ship they'd followed was joined by about eight more of its like, each ship wrapped in similar, protective shields that glinted in the light as they moved towards the group of human fighters. The twin cannons on their bellies lifted out from their cavity housings, rotating on gimbals as they tracked the human craft. The aliens fell into some sort of arrowhead formation, engines lighting up as they increased to high speeds.

Rather than intercept, the Raptors hung back, autocannons opening up on the approaching group of vessels, huge tracer lines connecting the two forces. At last Lambert got to see the alien shields in action. When the bullets met the barriers after a brief delay, the shield panels flared a bright white, the bullets bouncing off the transparent panels to sail off into space in all directions, the number of ricochet's numbering in the hundreds. Lambert worried about indirect fire as the bullet-streams quadrupled when they met the shields.

The Raptors emptied at least a quarter of their ammo loads before the alien ships reacted. They seemed slow and sluggish under all that firepower, weathering it for at least a minute until their weapons finally activated as the alien group closed in to within a few dozen kilometers, a dangerously close range.

The long, twin barrels of the alien guns flexed in unison as the strange ships seemed to come within weapons range, banking away and tilting so their guns had as much field of view as possible. The bottom half of their shields flicked off like lightbulbs, and bright lines of light lanced forth from the muzzles, the barrels rocking back into their houses in synchronicity.

"Frickin' laser beams?!" Carl exclaimed.

Lambert had to cover his eyes from the sudden glare, seeing on the camera feed over a dozen beams of golden light streak across the void, bridging the distance between the two groups. One of the human fighters exploded in a shroud of gas and metal, pieces of the fighter twirling away into the void as the beam cut it to pieces. Another raptor suffered major damage, a laser splitting it right down the middle, the cockpit flying one way, the engine another. The remaining Raptors broke off, pivoting to throw off the aliens aim.

The beams continued on into the void beyond, but the line of energy lost its intensity the further down the length Lambert looked, the beam fading until it was no longer visible.

With the shields deactivated, the humans could do some damage of their own. Despite being larger, the alien ships fared poorly against such bracketing fire. One by one the alien ships were cut to pieces, HE rounds churning up their hulls and blowing apart huge sections, flames and soot pluming into the void briefly before evaporating in the vacuum. Before the alien ships turned their shields back online, their laser beams shutting off, at least half of them were drifting about in pieces, Lambert watching the surviving vessels bank out of the line of fire.

"Those guys are gettin' shredded," Carl said. "They're just chargin' in all gun-hoe."

"Missile warning from the corvette," Alice announced. "they're firing on that carrier-class ship!"

Lambert didn't track his camera to see the launch, but he did spot a speck of white trailing through the backdrop of the main skirmish, leaving a white contrail in its wake as it streaked towards the damaged alien carrier. Despite its size, the huge ship appeared to have no point-defence of any kind, none of its sister ships even providing basic support to their fighters, opting to flee from the fight.

The missile closed to five kilometers, three, one, and then impacted the side of the carrier with a giant blast of fire that quickly evaporated. Like something had taken a bite out of it, a gaping hole had torn apart the aft section of one of the branching sections, its flaming decks open to space, ruined chunks of alloy blooming out from the point of impact.

"We have to help them," Lambert said. "those ships don't look armed, that corvette will tear them to pieces."

"The nebula is covering our signature so far," Alice said. "but if we engage, the chances of us being attacked by both sides is almost certain."

"We'll stay at maximum range," Lambert said, bringing up his tactical map. "Carl, you said you wanted some action. All power to weapon systems, get us a lock on that corvette."

"Aye-aye, Cap," Carl replied. "Spinnin' up the guns." One of Lambert's readouts let him know the thirty-millimeter cannons were spooling, the rotary cannons warming up as they swivelled to track the closest UEC targets.

"Keep all locks off the alien ships, I don't want to antagonize them in case they can't tell we're not on these guys' side."

Gripping the control sticks hard, Lambert banked off, keeping well away from the battle as they circled over towards the enemy corvette. It seemed they had gone unnoticed by all sides so far, and he wanted to take advantage of that.

As they repositioned, the UEC Raptors fell back into a screen formation, speeding away from the alien attack-group while their guns kept firing. The UEC appeared much more organized, as if they knew they could outrange the alien weapons, baiting the aliens away from their larger ships so the corvette could fire unimpeded.

"Havin' trouble lockin' on with all this interference," Carl reported. "Cap get us in behind its engine."

The missile would have an easier time tracking if the heat of the engine was in view, Lambert adjusting their heading and increasing their speed. The alien ships kept their shields online as they tried to close the distance to the Raptors - the move akin to a cavalry charge of old.

After a long, tense minute, they were' behind' the UEC corvette, its twin engine nozzles half-closed as it moved at low speed. They were generating enough heat, however, Carl speaking over a distinct locking ping when he voxed through the crew channel.

"Got it," he said. "Missile away!"

From the belly of their corvette, one of the missiles detached from its rack, flying forward a hundred meters in an instant before it turned forty degrees to the left, the engine on its rear flaring to life, the tracking ball on its nose swiveling to lock the UEC corvette.

The missile had a flight time of nine seconds, travelling across the expansive void until it was but a distant speck. Lambert watched on his tactical map as the missile's signature closed the distance, Lambert waiting for the corvette to activate its point-defence.

It never did. The missile smashed into the main engines, its blip on the map disappearing along with the corvette's IFF tag. He looked at the camera feed tracking the Confederate ship, seeing the vessel vanish in a great bloom of white, the explosion almost peaceful in the silence of the vacuum.

When the flash cleared, half of the ship had been disintegrated, the intact pilot's canopy twirling away into the nearest blanket of gas at hundreds of kilometers per second, the nebula gobbling the pieces up.

"Kill confirmed," Carl reported, his voice a little distorted through the channel.

"They know we're here," Alice said. "Two Raptors breaking off and heading towards our position."

Lambert switched to the battle feed, seeing two of the human fighters bank from the fight, and move their way. Behind them, the remaining pair of fighters continued to hammer the alien shields, which had come down while Carl had targeted the corvette, exposing their vulnerable hulls. The alien ships twisted and turned, pulling high-g maneuvers, their laser barrels remaining paradoxically level even as they flipped and changed angles.

"Going to burn," Lambert said, pressing the control sticks all the way forward. With no air resistance, the corvette gained speed rapidly, a knot in Lambert's stomach growing as he watched the speed indicator rise.

"They're opening up," Alice reported. Lambert glanced at the camera feed, seeing that the Raptors were sending yellow streams of rounds their way.

He turned the thrusters off, flipped the corvette on its x-axis, then turned them back on, speeding violently out of the line of fire. The twin trails passed through where they would have been a second later, the Raptors changing course as their guns realigned to track their new heading.