Becoming Monsters: In the Mirror Ch. 05

Story Info
Cold Hard Cash. The household adjusts, plus a back trip.
5.1k words
4.85
3.4k
10
Story does not have any tags

Part 5 of the 32 part series

Updated 04/14/2024
Created 10/16/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is still a noncanonical fanfiction to the Becoming Monsters series, by Ai Loves, setting used with permission. All canonical and mechanical errors are my own. The yarrb is the creation of FelisRandomis, used with permission. Banks are the invention of mercantilism, used without permission, so there!

Mr. Midnight, I blame you for the clown.

—-

Chapter 5: Cold Hard Cash

"Whitney, get a towel, wipe up, and sit on the couch. Lucy, get the binder, please!"

Neither argued, somehow. I was mostly blind, the option screen taking up the center of my vision. I could see them moving in my peripheral vision, could hear the sounds of two pairs of feet moving in very different directions with very different gaits. My wife's footsteps ended first, a few paces off to my left. Our guest was moving more, though to be fair she had been fairly thoroughly glazed by me about a minute prior, there was a lot to wipe up.

"Lucy, write this down." I conveyed the information quickly. The scratch of her pencil didn't take long. After all, there wasn't much to convey, even with the added note that Scan was picking up the information relevant to it. I could see the faint shimmers of both of their auras, Whitney's noticeably weaker than in the hospital.

I looked towards where Whitney now sat. Everyone knew the look of someone gazing in their general direction but reading something inside their own eyes, but it served to make my point. "Whitney, you may have surmised that you have an important decision to make. Our previous conversation is on hold until this one is done, it cannot wait." The last was said with a bit of force, I needed there to not be any distractions.

"Oh... kaaayyyyy..." she drew it out skeptically. "She's not trying to kill me, so I assume this is serious."

"You could say that. Here's the deal, you have just been targeted by a sex-activated Class Ability which you didn't give me a chance to explain. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else has ever acquired it, and since I just picked it up after our fight yesterday we are in uncharted waters."

Lucy chimed in. "We know two things from its effects. It has a positive effect on Jay's and the target's Attributes, and it lets him pick up one of your abilities. Presumably, this would mean Regeneration. We have no idea if there's anything else to it, or any drawbacks. We don't even know if there's a way to change your mind after the choice is made, it has only ever been used on me."

"I have a choice in the matter? He's the one with the status screen up."

"I do not make a habit of rash choices, and refuse to do this without consent. I'm not going to make it a condition of you staying here," my wife made an undignified snort, that particular conversation was not done, "but the decision has to be made now, and if you say yes then I will need to talk to you about your ability and experiment with both it and my own."

There was silence. I could not see their expressions, my wife was not close enough for me to touch, I couldn't even use my abilities to gather information due to this infernal blue screen. It was maddening.

"Does that mean we..."

"Don't even think about finishing that sentence until my husband is through with talking shop."

Whitney sounded hopeful, which I took as a good sign. I was starting to get a headache, though, and only half of it was from Status. "You get the point. I need a decision and it cannot wait, I cannot exit the screen without a Yes or No from you."

There was another pause. "He can't see you, say it out loud."

"Yes, I accept."

I nodded, selected it, and accepted. The screen cleared. Whitney wasn't seated, as it turned out, but standing with the couch between her and Lucy. This time, I thought I had an idea of what to expect. Whitney's muscles should enlarge and smooth, and mine with them. The energy hit me, and I could feel it. The world seemed to slow down a quarter-step as I felt my own muscles tighten and the familiar sense of growing health. I could see what I expected of her, those carved muscles growing a bit while somehow keeping their sleekness, her breathing easing.

However, that's when things kept going. Her breasts raised and firmed, her hips and butt expanding slightly but retaining their fitness. Her surprised movements got smoother right with them. I looked sharply to my left, and saw as the power flowed into my wife. Her own muscles stood out more, the gains much more dramatic on her smaller frame. She breathed easier, too, the effort of the earlier magic easing off.

The shimmer of both of their demonic natures persisted, but now something had changed. Almost unnoticeable, had I not been watching, but the aura patterns changed, just a hair. I couldn't tell you what exactly it was, but it was a lot like hearing two notes ever so slightly out of tune. I shook my head. It was something that I would have to figure out. Pulling up my Status screen briefly, I confirmed things. I had gained mass along with the ability scores, and Regeneration had kicked my new Scorpion Venom off my ability list.

Both of the ladies in the room snapped back to reality around the same time. "Looks like I have a lot to write about in the notebook, Jay. Come to the bedroom and we can... chat." Her tone of voice there was still sharp. Sharp enough to scare Jabberwocks in the area. "Whitney, if you step one inch into our bedroom without invitation, I'll throw your flaming corpse through the wall next time. My husband seems to have promised you a place to stay for a bit, plan how you think you're going to earn your keep. The bags I dropped have some clothes that should fit you."

Lucy turned on her heel and walked off to our bedroom. I turned to face Whitney. "I know you had a Delver license. Tomorrow we will have to see about getting your IDs back, and contacting a lawyer about getting you reestablished. Good night." I followed my wife.

I found her sitting on our bed, binder open, scratching out some notes. A bit more forcefully than was probably necessary, but I wasn't about to point that out. She looked up as I entered, the glare thankfully not incinerating me on the spot. "You have two minutes to explain."

Best make them count. "Got her, gave her the news, brought her home, showed her the apartment. Then she was nude, pinned me to the wall, and was blowing me. Actually shushed me when I tried to say something. She said she owes us and to consider that a down payment."

"In our home?" Her expression was a combination of irritated and wounded. That was a line that had not been crossed before, we didn't bring customers home.

"Would you prefer the hospital room? I wasn't going to hide this, and it's no different than any other feeding I've done on others. You know I'm yours, period, no matter who I might be spraying on. I married you. Not her." Probably not the most eloquent words I've ever strung together, but they seemed to work. She calmed a bit, drawing a couple of shuddering breaths, then throwing herself into my arms from a seated start, with enough force that she almost knocked me over backwards.

"Jay, don't ever make me worry I'm losing you again. I can't live this life alone. Don't make me." Tears were flowing freely, from both of us.

"I can't either, love. Nothing short of death will do it, and I regenerate now." She smacked me on my arm. Not exactly lightly, but I kind of deserved it. "Alright, bad timing. Still. Tomorrow is another day, and one that we are still alive and together."

She sighed. "I still hate this. Why can't our little family be normal?"

"Normal went out the window five years ago. You can throw people across a room without touching them, I apparently absorb abilities from people, and we both have to have sex with others to stay alive and sane. We still make it work."

Lucy looked up at me, eyebrows deliberately raised. "Yep, we do. You realize you're sleeping in the chair tonight, right?"

"Kind of figured. It was that or the couch, and the couch is self-defeating right now."

"He can be taught!" She walked back to the bed and flopped down onto it. "See you in the morning, love." She closed her eyes.

It was my turn to sigh. The evening could have gone much worse, but there would be more from it. At least we were okay. I hadn't been joking when I said I couldn't do it alone. I'd crumble without her, fast. With a click, I turned off the lights. With a few more creaks than I liked, I settled into our armchair, the one I liked to read in, and got my wings arranged comfortably. I'd take the occasional doghouse evenings if it meant I could keep our marriage together.

The morning came entirely too quickly, as it likes to do. Still, it did come. I had nothing hard-set for any particular time that day, but that didn't mean it was going to be relaxing. Had to hit two different ID offices and find a lawyer, which promised to be its own struggle. As I stood, stretching, my wing joints popping like firecrackers after yesterday's unaccustomed use, my phone sounded off with the wind chimes I favored for my actual text tone.

Apparently, no updates overnight.

Complications, of course, but I could deal with this one. I had been approved by the OPP for a Tier Four payout, given that I had been woefully outclassed and jumped in instantly in the defense of children and noncombatants. Great, backhanded compliments, but that put an extra digit on the bounty from what it could have been. It was too large for direct deposit due to some arcane regulation, so I'd need to swing by to pick up the check and deposit it myself. Made a good excuse to deposit our buildup of Coin, too, but walking around town with that much on us made me nervous.

I glanced at the bedroom door, in the direction of the woman sleeping on a cot not far past it. A third person in the group would deter casual thieves. Lucy wouldn't like it, but facts were facts. This apartment wasn't exactly the greatest and we had dealt with thieves before, things had just been too busy lately to properly deal with mundane things.

Lucy stirred, possibly from hearing my stretches and chimes. She was, at least, willing to get a hug this morning, and went to the shower as I meandered over to the kitchen to start up the coffee.

This is how I discovered two things. First, Whitney liked to get up early to stretch and do some exercises. Second, that she slept nude.

"Good morning. Please, for the love of whomever you worship, get some clothes on in the next minute, before Lucy gets out here." I shuffled over to start up the coffee. "Do you do caffeine?"

"Yes, please. You know how hard a good cup is to find in SoCal?"

"Welcome to Seattle. Now that more than half the BuckStars closed, we only have one every block or so." I know much of the world decided that raw milk was the way to go in the mornings. Neither my wife nor I were among that number, and our evenings studying at the coffee shop had just transmuted to mornings planning the day out. Even remembered to make three cups instead of two.

Lucy came out about the time the first waffles popped out of the toaster, the coffee maker beeped, and Whitney was fully dressed. Thankfully, though there were a lot of fiddly bits, the day's plan was simple enough. Get the IDs started, drop by the bank a couple doors down to make our deposits, pick up IDs, find a lawyer who could do some work for reconnecting Whitney to the fact that she was alive.

Blegh. Lawyers.

Still, it was doable, and if we got lucky there would be time at the end for getting Whitney some actual starter equipment suitable to her Class. Just couldn't do it up front, since she couldn't carry it without her license. Although Washington let you go a long time without active use, I wasn't sure if California would do the same. Congress was talking about national reciprocity on the licenses, but given how fast they did stuff my grandchildren might eventually see the law passed.

If children happened. That needed to come first.

We weren't expecting attacks today, but it was still worth keeping basic equipment on us. Retractable batons were common and subtle enough that we had two, and my short sword strapped to my side made three. I had a light shield with it, in this group I'd need to anchor. Lucy had a manashed shirt, my only one being a victim of lighting two days prior and Whitney obviously not yet there. She was also wearing a backpack with our well-padded coin bag inside, holding most of what we had saved in that currency. She'd be furthest from the action in case something went wrong.

"Don't you guys have anything... bigger? I'm a Two-Hander melee specialist."

"An axe that isn't legal for you to carry until your license is reissued, and a stave that Lucy uses for rituals and won't let ME touch." I decided right there to leave the obvious joke be. No sense antagonizing people.

Here's the thing about life. It really likes to take your expectations and punt them to the side. We had just stepped outside when we heard a high-pitched growl. The yarrb was in the sidewalk in front of our house, hackles and spines raised, growling at a trio of young men. At the front was a haloed face familiar from a couple days prior.

"Hey! Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"

Aaron Christiansen turned his face in my direction, his two human thugs staring. Three against three if it came down to it. I didn't know about his followers' capabilities, but I knew he probably had not gotten any weaker in the last couple of days. Then again, I had added some capabilities to my party.

He recognized me, and spat to the side. "Still hanging around, hellspawn? Did you eat someone in there and steal their home? Maybe the new girl is a convert." He was reaching for a sword on his belt, the pommel glittering.

"Touch that weapon and I don't hold back like last time. You're on my turf now. I'm fresh." My words were way more confident than I was feeling. I did NOT want to be getting into street fights when I was literally about to head directly to a police station. Didn't mean I wouldn't do it, and my mental trigger finger was on my Lightning Net, just in case.

The man to his left spoke up. His voice was dull, "I'll take them, boss!"

That was enough to justify things. I Scanned him immediately, finding nothing of note. Johnny was a level five Enforcer, carrying a club, moderate scores and a low INT. Bait. I figured I'd bite. Turning to Whitney, I asked a question. "Think you've got this bare-knuckle?"

She grinned and stepped forward. Lucy looked at me quizzically. "If I judge things right, and you know I'm good at it, she is the least likely of us to accidentally do permanent harm as long as she does things unarmed." She also knew that phrase meant I'd gotten a read on him and did the math on the upcoming scuffle. The idiot actually stepped across the property line, and utterly without warning caught a driving fist across his jaw with a sickening crack. He flew backwards across the sidewalk, colliding with an illegally parked car. Whitney's aura started shimmering a bit harder, indulging her wrath was feeding her. I had no issues with any of the above.

"Take your friend and back away. You don't get to win this one. Next one won't be bare knuckle, this has been your legal warning under Delver regulations."

The Paladin, to his credit, read it the way I'd hoped and complied. He took his friends and got gone. We went the other way, waving at the yarrb then catching the bus downtown. The backseat held the three of us comfortably, and Lucy was giving Whitney a strange look. "Your wrist okay? You've been stretching it a lot since we got on the bus."

"Yeah, his head was just hard. Can I use the club next time?" We all laughed a bit. Needed it. Hopefully, he wouldn't be back. Logically, though, we all knew he would. Him, or someone like him. We made good targets.

The office building we stopped in front of had the DMV in it. From previous experience, all of the offices in it were staffed that way, and we would need at least three of them. I made sure Whitney had at least her hospital band for identification and set her to wait in the surprisingly long line for Delver renewal, then walked down the hall with Lucy to go to the Office of Public Protection bounty station.

The line for bounties of Tier Four and higher was essentially nonexistent. This far from the dungeon entrance, they almost never happened. The officer on desk seemed skeptical, but looked up the claim and found it valid. The paperwork to finish the process of retrieving a simple check was almost as extensive as the one to renew my firearms certification, and if it weren't for a fat paycheck at the end might have gotten me to give up on it. Maybe deep Delvers didn't bother with the process and it saved the city some cash, but it meant rent and equipment for me. I kept writing, and would have to deal with hand pain later.

We got back in time to stop Whitney from physically attacking the man at the counter for telling her that the hospital band wasn't enough to look her up for confirmation. He thought she was exaggerating for effect. I could feel otherwise. Of course, nobody was on staff that day who could do a proper scan or zone of truth.

The line for a new ID card was just as long, and this time we all got to just stay there. At least it turned out she wouldn't be needing a firearm license. According to her, she could see everything, but hitting a ranged attack outside of arm's reach was more luck than anything. I decided to not have weapons that cause collateral damage in her arsenal. Just seemed prudent.

Her actual ID would take a while to get mailed to the apartment, but the temporary paper they gave was enough to get her Delver card back... eventually, since it would also have to be mailed. By then, we were all hungry and frustrated. One could be solved by taco truck. The other? Well... not so much. The next stop was the bank itself, the largest one in the area and one of only two that had a Coin vault. Translation? More lines.

The Central Bank of Seattle understood that adventurers wanted to be armed. It also understood that it wanted nothing to do with armed customers inside the lobby. There were free lockers in the entryway to put our equipment, and metal detectors set up to access the main desk area in the event that someone thought the signs didn't apply to them. Not our favorite way to be, but two out of three of us had other means of attack while the third had recently demonstrated a lack of true need.

The inside was rather tastefully decorated, marble planters complimenting the elegant architecture. Bronze stands held ropes up to create orderly lines... which presented an issue. Specifically, that the lines for Coin deposits and Checks were on opposite ends of the large room. Exactly zero people in my group had enough patience left for that, especially since we theoretically had a lawyer to go see afterwards.

"Jay, go deposit the check. I'll take Whitney to the coin vault, it needs more physical security and one of us has to be at each."

"Got it, love. Meet back here as soon as you're done?"

"Got it in one." She gave our winged guest a look. "We have a lot to discuss away from male ears." Whitney looked a bit pained. I took comfort in the fact that Lucy didn't want us kicked out of this bank. They didn't care about Races.

The wait wasn't as bad as it could have been, really. The fact that the person behind me was a four-and-a-half foot Squirrel Beastfolk dressed as a clown definitely helped pass the time. He was there after either performing at a corporate event or winning a bet, I wasn't sure which (if there was a difference), but either way he also had a check to cash. I was three spots back from the front when a bang came from the front doors, the metal detectors blaring.

12