Beethoven Virus Ch. 01

Story Info
An insidious ransomware attack on University Hospital.
16.6k words
4.83
8k
9

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 06/16/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

2:30pm, Friday, March 26th. The Police SUV tore down University Avenue, its LED blue lights brightly blazing and its siren wailing. Driving at dangerously high speeds through the early afternoon traffic was TCPD Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle.

Northbound traffic on University Avenue barely stopped in time as Teresa tore across the lanes and hurtled onto the drive up to University Hospital. She parked in the 'Authorized Vehicles Only' lot behind the Hospital on the north (left) side, then hurried into the Hospital through the Emergency Room doors.

Being in uniform, and being well-known as a Hospital Board member as well as the TCPD's most decorated Officer, she was not stopped as she ran past the security officers at the entrance. She ran down the main hallway and to the stairwell, eschewing the elevators as she punched in the keycode to access the stairs.

Being in excellent shape, she was only a little bit winded as she came out of the stairwell onto the sixth floor of the Hospital's south side. It was part of the Cancer Center. She saw Father Alberto Romano in front of the door to one of the rooms.

"You're in time." said Father Romano, who had called Teresa. "She refused to be sedated until she could talk to you."

"Thank you, Father." Teresa said. "And thank you for calling me."

"Brace yourself, Commander." Father Alberto said as he partially blocked the door. "I've just given her the Last Rites."

Teresa nodded and Father Romano let her pass into the room, then went in behind her. As they went in, something scurried under them. Teresa saw that it was the Hospital's legendary Death Cat, and she knew what that meant.

Inside the room, lying in the hospital bed, was Alice, the teenaged virtuoso violinist whose cancer had returned from remission to lay its inexorable claim to her life. On the sofa at the side of the room were her forlorn parents. And in a chair next to them was Alice's teacher, Dr. Wolfgang Strauss, 'The Maestro', with tears running down the sharp features of his Teutonic face.

Teresa came up to Alice's right arm and hand as the Death Cat jumped on the bedside table next to her. She took Alice's hand, and the girl opened her eyes.

"Hello, Teresa." Alice said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I'm glad you came. I need you to do something for me."

"Sure." Teresa said, thinking Alice might want her to sing to her. Instead, Alice guided Teresa's hand to the violin case by her side.

"I need you... to take my violin..." Alice started.

"That's your Gagliano violin." Teresa said. "And I don't play. You should let Dr. Strauss have it back." The Gagliano violin, made in the 1700s, was worth over $200,000, and the quality of the sounds it had made as Alice had played it made one believe it was worth a lot more. The Maestro had given it to Alice a few years before.

"I told him..." Alice said, "... that you would find the right person for it, someone worthy of it." Then she said "Don't you see, Teresa? I'll be gone... but the Music must go on!"

The words seemed to sear into Teresa's very soul. She looked over at Alice's parents and Dr. Strauss, who all nodded for Teresa to take the violin. "Okay." Teresa said. "I'll find someone worthy of it."

Alice smiled and said "Thank yoooo..." She seemed to relax, now that her final request had been made, and there was nothing else to fight to live for.

"Are you in pain? Do you need a sedative?" Teresa asked.

"Nooo. It doesn't hurt anymore." Alice whispered. She looked up at the Death Cat, who was watching her intently. "Hello, kitty." she said with a little smile on her face.

A moment later, Alice looked up at the ceiling and said "Teresa... do you hear that?"

"What's that?" Teresa asked.

"The music." Alice said. "It's beautiful... it's the most beautiful music I've ever heard..."

Teresa listened hard, and she thought she heard the sound of a wind chime playing in a blowing breeze. And then she looked down at Alice again, and saw that the girl's eyes had opaqued. She did not need to hear the monotone of the life-signs monitor to know that Alice had gone to join those playing the infinitely beautiful music...

"I'm so sorry for your loss." Teresa said to Alice's sobbing parents, her voice choking. She held up the violin in its case. "I'll take care of this, and find someone worthy of it... worthy of Alice."

"When you do," The Maestro said quietly, "send him or her to me." Teresa nodded, and left the family to their grief as they prayed with Father Romano.

His duty done, the Death Cat went into the hallway when Teresa opened the door, and disappeared around a corner. Tears were stinging Teresa's eyes as she trudged down the hallway, the sadness of life and death overwhelming her soul. And then she looked up...

...and saw the Iron Crowbar standing there, waiting for her.

"Sumimasen, sir." she said as she tried to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"There's nothing to apologize for." I replied quietly. "I grieve with thee. Come on, let's go."

As we made our way to the parking lot, Teresa asked "Can we go to The Cabin, and put this in that underground space, which will be good for preserving it?"

"Sure." I said. We went to my Police SUV and I drove Teresa up the mountain to The Cabin. No one was at home at the time. Teresa went out onto the deck while I went into my office, opened the trap door into the wine cellar below, and then hid the violin in the hidden place carved out behind it.

Coming back out, I went onto the deck and sat down in the metal mesh loveseat next to Teresa, who was staring forward.

"I can't... I can't believe she's gone." Teresa said. "One minute, we're singing and playing in front of all those people at the Christmas concert. And then, in the blink of an eye... she's gone. All that talent, all that beautiful music... gone... no more."

A moment later she said "Just before she died, she said that she would be gone, but the Music must go on. But now... there's less of it. Less music."

I said "No. There's more. Her song is ended, but the melody of her life will continue, for as long as she's in our hearts. And we will sing and play to her melody, and there will be more music."

Teresa threw her arms around me in a hug. "How do you always know the right thing to say?"

"I wish that were true." I said. "I just speak from what comes to my soul."

Teresa nodded, and then I realized that she was silently crying. I put my arms around her and let her cry it out. And as I held her and looked out over the Town, seeing a train coming out of the western horizon in the far distance, I contemplated that this was the woman that I was told in the past was totally devoid of caring, of compassion... and of love...

Part 2 - Media Matters

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, March 29th, from the Anchor Desk at KXTC studios. "The Legislative session enters its final week!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "After the shocking passage of the Budget last week, the State Legislature is attempting to tackle one further piece of major legislation in what has become a frenzy of activity in the final month of the session. Let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay in Midtown for more. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the black reporter, his expensive suit fitting perfectly. "The bill is called the District Consolidation and Fair Representation Act, or DCFRA, and it aims to streamline the political boundaries of the counties within the State. Two of its provisions, if passed, would directly affect our Town & County. One is that our County would be merged with Nextdoor County and Coltrane County, and the other is that the Town and County governments would be separated like they were before the Merger."

Lemay: "One provision of the Act is that merged districts will vote for multiple representatives. For example, if our County, Nextdoor County, and Coltrane County merge, then all of the voters in the newly merged district would vote for three representatives rather than each county or sector voting for its own representative. This would also be the case for several rural counties in the southeastern part of the State, and for the newly merged Westphalia and Eastphalia district."

Lemay: "Republicans are strongly opposed to the multiple-representative plan, saying that it's unConstitutional as well as fraught with other problems. Democrats say it is needed to provide Minorities with more equal representation throughout the State. Political experts believe that provision will kill the whole bill, and that it will need to be removed for any progress to be made on the overall bill."

Bettina: "Carl, if I may interrupt with a question: if the DCFRA doesn't pass, what are the chances that the Town and County governments will be made separate again?"

Lemay: "Bettina, I'm told that there is a lot of support for that among the Town & County's representation in the Legislature as well among local politicians and business leaders, who are lobbying for the separation. However, political experts believe that there is not enough time to get that through the Legislature as a separate bill in what's left of this session, and no one knows if Governor Marshall would sign it or veto it. Back to you, Bettina!"

Bettina: "Thank you, Carl!" As the feed went back to her, she said "That was political reporter Carl Lemay with that important story. And speaking of Governor Marshall, political experts are saying that the Budget bill was a huge win for Wilson Hammonds and the Establishment Republicans, and a total loss of face for Sharon Marshall, who was elected by White Nationalists to continue the racist policies of deeply unpopular former Governor Val Jared. House Leader Hammonds said this to our SNN colleague Tim Sioban. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Wilson Hammonds crowing: "Republicans and Democrats came together in a bipartisan manner to create a reasonable and fair Budget. Sharon Marshall was forced to back down and sign our Budget bill, which stops the persecution of hardworking Undocumented Workers. The era of the racist policies of the Grassroots Conservatives is ovah!"

Back to Bettina live: "We have with us Karl Frazier of Public Policy Polling, and an SNN contributor. Karl, what do the polls say about this?"

The camera panned out to show Karl Frazier sitting next to Bettina. He said: "Bettina, our spot polling this weekend shows that the ultra-Nationalist Conservatives are furious with Governor Sharon Marshall, and consider her signing of that Budget to be a total betrayal of her campaign promises to continue the policies of former Governor Val Jared. Support for Marshall dropped 37% among voters identifying themselves as 'strongly Conservative', from 80% to 43%. And this was enough to drop her overall poll numbers from 51% to 45%."

Bettina asked hopefully: "What about Lieutenant Governor Corey Coons and the Democrats? Are they benefitting from the bipartisan bill?"

Frazier: "Not very much, Bettina. Lieutenant Governor Coons's numbers also dropped. He lost 10% of his favorables from our polling at the end of February. The Democrats's numbers also dropped, though slightly. We are attributing this to the fury of People of Color that the Budget bill did not defund the Police."

"Thank you, Carl." said Bettina, rather abruptly ending the conversation as the camera hastily focused back in on her, and showing her angry face for a second. Then she recovered and said "And in other news, Police Commander Donald Troy is once again being called on the carpet for exceeding his authority. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic blonde reporterette from the roof of the building on Riverside and College, with City Hall in the background. "Channel Two News has learned that Police Commander Donald Troy has had two very serious complaints filed against him with the Town & County Inspector General's Office."

Amber: "The first was filed by several members of the Town & County Council, after Commander Troy twice failed to follow their orders to appear before the Council at their last two Tuesday Council meetings, and answer their questions regarding his unilateral decision to enter into a contract with TCPD Operations Officer Teresa Croyle, which would allow her to serve as an SBI Reserve Officer as well as on the TCPD, and doing so without even consulting with the Council first."

Amber: "The second complaint is much more serious, as it was filed by District Attorney Miriam Walters, to whom the Town & County Police must answer in the prosecution of criminals. Commander Troy has bypassed the District Attorney's Office multiple times by making plea agreements with criminal suspects. D.A. Walters's complaint says that Commander Troy has exceeded his authority as well as usurping the prerogative of the District Attorney's Office in making those plea deals unilaterally, and without even consulting the District Attorney nor her Assistant D.A.s."

Amber: "Sources tell Channel Two News that Commander Troy's outrageous actions are partially due to a feud between him and ADA Savannah Fineman, who District Attorney Miriam Walters assigned to MCD cases, and that Commander Troy is throwing a temper tantrum because he's not getting to work with ADA Paulina Patterson, with whom Troy had a... er, illegitimate child."

Amber: "Those same sources also state that the feud has extended to D.A. Walters and Sheriff Griswold taking opposite sides in the dispute. Neither Commander Troy nor anyone in the Public Safety Department responded to Channel Two News's repeated requests for comment. The District Attorney's Office issued a statement that the matter was in Inspector General James 'Curly' Goodwin's hands... for now. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" said Bettina. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important report on Donald Troy's egregious actions. And now let's go to Jeff Hull for Sports. Jeff!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Oops." I said as Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross, and I drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room. "Bettina committed the cardinal sin of a Media interview... she asked a question she didn't know the answer to."

Tanya said "You mean when she asked how the Democrats were polling, and Karl Frazier said they were polling poorly, too?"

"Yep, that was it." I replied. "Bettina couldn't keep the anger off her face when he put out that information, and she cut him off."

Cindy said "She looked a lot happier when she was reporting on the big loss Sharon Marshall took... and of course when she handed it off to Amber to report on the IG complaints against you."

"She won't look so happy tomorrow." growled Sheriff Griswold. "I.G. Goodwin is going to dismiss Kelly Carnes's complaint, and make a point to say that an individual Council member cannot compel anyone at all to appear before them, and that Crowbar has done no wrong."

"Can the whole Council vote to issue a subpoena?" Tanya asked.

"I guess they could." I replied. "Congress and the State Legislature can, so I guess the Council could, too. But as far as I know, that's never been done before."

"It hasn't happened in my lifetime, either." said the Sheriff.

"And I would have no problem answering a subpoena correctly voted upon and issued." I said. "But I'm making a point to not respond to just Carnes nor the Council Democrats. Kelly Carnes is not the boss of me."

Cindy said "Don, what about Miriam Walters's complaint against you? Or is that a verboten subject?"

The Sheriff said "Curly Goodwin is taking it seriously enough to check it out before dismissing it. He wants to talk to me, the Chief, and Crowbar, and probably will talk further with Miriam, and also speak to Savannah."

Cindy persisted: "Don, do you think Miriam will sue if Goodwin rules in your favor?"

I said "I can't talk about it, Cindy. I'm the defendant, and my attorney and the Union Rep have suggested I just don't speak of it."

Cindy didn't get the hint. She said "I know Miriam has already talked to the City Attorney, who would file the lawsuit on the D.A. Office's behalf------"

"Ross!" barked the Sheriff. "What part of 'Don can't talk about it' did you not understand? The answer is yes, it's a verboten subject! Now just leave it be!"

"I'm just trying to help..." Cindy said, sounding hurt at the Sheriff's rebuke.

"Then speak to me privately if you have information that will help me hammer Walters over this." the Sheriff growled. "For now, drop it."

In the enormous tension filling the room, Tanya said "Not that it's my day to babysit her, but where is Teresa today?"

I said "She's helping Alice's family with the arrangements for Alice's funeral this afternoon. And I told her not to show her face in this Police Headquarters until Wednesday at the earliest. She's trying hard not to let on how much Alice's death is hurting her, but it is."

"Did the Police Department send flowerrrrrs?" Chief Moynahan asked.

"Yes sir." Tanya replied. "Captain Thompson did. And a lot of Officers took up money for a donation to the Cancer Center in Alice's name."

"Damn shame." muttered the Sheriff. "Still just a teenager. And everyone loved her at the Christmas concerts. How are the kids at the Cancer Center taking it?"

"Hard." I said. "Everyone thought she was cured, that she was over it. And then it not only came back, but it took her out in just three months. Laura and the other psychologists talked to the kids over the weekend. Those kids fight hard to keep positive attitudes about things, but this one was a huge blow..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'll bet Catrina and Priya won't even talk about Sharon Marshall caving on the Budget." Cindy said as she, Tanya, Claire Michaels, and I gathered in my office for the 'Angels -1 +1' meeting."

"How much?" I asked. "A hundred dollars?"

"Hell no." Cindy said. "Do I look like Jack Muscone?" Tanya laughed out loud.

"Fortunately, no." I replied. Tanya laughed out loud some more.

"Besides," Cindy said, "I've got a baby to feed, and formula is expensive as hell. But I'll bet lunch at the Cop Bar, provided you get the Double Breakfast Cheeseburger plate."

"You're on." I said as I expertly used the remote to turn on the monitor. "Let's watch some TV."

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce from the KFXU studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me is Priya Ajmani. Good morning, Priya."

"Good morning, Catrina. Good morning, everyone." said Priya. "Here's whats in the news. The State Legislature's Establishment Republicans and Establishment Democrats are celebrating a huge victory after the Budget was successfully passed last week. House Leader Wilson Hammonds had this to say. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing identical footage to what KXTC had shown an hour before. Upon returning to the live studio, Catrina picked it up: "The Governor's Office issued a statement saying, quote, 'The mission of the SBI to assist Federal ICE Agents in tracking down and arresting Illegal Persons for deportation has not changed, and the SBI remains fully funded as it accomplishes that mission as well as its other duties.', close quote."