Being Jim Ch. 06: Lessons of Life Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Hey! Jim!" She looked at me with one eyebrow climbing her forehead in askance of my sobriety perhaps. "Jules sent you here to help mow this yard?"

"Uh... yeah, I told her I could help her out today. She told me a friend of hers would be here working on it already, I had no idea it would be you." I said in a rush. "Ummm..." I stammered looking at Michelle almost pleading to understand but also afraid to find out the truth. "I... Uh..." I swallowed and took a deep breath. "How do you know Jules?" I finally asked.

Michelle looked at me for a few moments as if trying to understand my question then she got this lopsided grin on her face as it dawned on her that perhaps I knew more than I let on, or simply by association with Jules I was privy to more information than most. "Well..." She began as she took both hands and ran them back through her hair gathering it into a pony tail and pulling it through the back of her ball cap then pulling it down snugly on her head. "My roommate and Jules are "buddies". My roomy told me about the yard work and I thought it was a good way to make a little extra cash while the weather was warm." She said with a sly grin daring me to say something or perhaps silently asking me if I could read between the lines.

"Yeah... "buddies". Jules has lots of buddies, not many of them are guys though. That's cool though, to each their own." I shrugged giving her a shy crooked grin. I figured the chances were pretty high that Michelle was of the same persuasion and Jules and her "buddies". I sighed internally and was kind of deflated that I didn't stand a chance in my mind or in reality even of getting to know Michelle better now. "Having trouble with your mower?" I asked trying to steer away from the topic altogether.

Michelle studied my face intently then her eyes softened and her sly grin turned into a warm knowing smile before she chuckled. "Yeah, I ran out of gas, I filled it back up but now it's not wanting to start. And before you go all wonky on me and jump to conclusions, I am NOT one of Jules' "buddies". My roomy is. I don't think their preference is for me, entirely anyway, I like my "buddies" to be of the male variety."

Looking back now I see that opening plain as the nose on my face, but at the time it completely escaped me, I was so blind. Instead, I was stuck in avoidance mode and my brain was problem solving the lawn mower issue. "Sounds like you flooded it" I stated kneeling down and reaching under the gas tank and turning the stop cock valve to off so no more gas would come out of the tank. I reached up and opened up the choke and pulled the throttle back to zero. Standing again I took the pull rope handle and gave a few short tugs to turn the motor over a few times. Then Three more long pulls so the engine sputtered through completely. Kneeling again I turned the gas tank's stop cock back on and pulled the choke half way out. Pulling the throttle up about a quarter I stepped back and said. "Okay, now try it... I think I got the carburetor cleared."

Michelle looked at me out of the corner of her eye then reached down and took hold of the pull rope handle and gave it a mighty tug. Then engine sputtered a couple of times but didn't start. I reached up and closed the choke a little bit and nodded to her to try again. Once more she gave the pull rope a mighty tug and the engine sputtered a couple of more times then fired up with a puff of oily smoke then settled down to a steady idle. I closed the choke completely and it smoothed out even more. Michelle looked at me with both eyebrows crawling up her forehead and a bright smile on her face.

"Thanks Jim!" She shouted over the noise of the mower's engine, as she grabbed the handlebars and pushed off to begin finishing up mowing the front yard where she had left off. I Smiled and pointed at myself then towards the back yard and waved. I grabbed my mower and gas can and pushed it towards the gate at the side of the garage leading to the back yard. I started up my own mower and began working my way around the yard from the side of the garage. As I came around the back side of the garage I came upon a site that gave me pause. Stretched out on reclining chaise lounges (lawn chairs) were two very nearly nude women. Both face down with their heads resting on their folded arms their well oiled backs bare from their necks to the tops of their very skimpy bikini bottoms the straps from their tops hanging down either side of their loungers. One a dark haired woman with very fair complexion, and the other a strawberry blonde gal with ample curves and some silk slippers covering her feet, neither woman rose to look at me or even acted surprised that I was there. I'm not sure how long I stood and, well, stared frankly, before I came to my senses and turned my mower off so that I might announce my presence. Hearing the mower shut off and being close to them, I heard the strawberry blonde say. "Michelle, dear, why don't you take a few minutes to cool down, come over and have a seat and a glass of lemonade that Maggie made."

I understood then why they hadn't sat up to see who it was, they thought I was Michelle coming to mow the back yard. I cleared my throat to announce my presence and said. "I'm sorry to disturb you ladies, ma'am, but I'm not Michelle, I was asked by my friend Jules to come help out with mowing the yard. I can come back later if you like." As I spoke and my male voice registered in their minds, both heads snapped in unison raising up and turning to face me. The Dark haired lady had on a dark pair of sunglasses but the strawberry blonde had the most dazzling light blue eyes I think I've ever seen up to that point in my life. Neither lady rose from their prone positions however, for obvious reasons, but I could see both were surprised to see me when they were expecting Michelle. They were not embarrassed, to be honest I felt as if I were being scrutinized much like a menu in a restaurant. The strawberry blond smiled sweetly and said.

"Well hello, aren't you a handsome young man? You say Jules asked you to come mow our lawn?"

"Yes ma'am. I work with her at Dom's Pizza, she knew I was looking for a little extra work this summer and she was stretched a little thin with her mowing service and offered me a few yards. I was supposed to come by today and help out a friend of hers. She's actually in the front yard finishing up soon I think. I just spoke with her."

"Ah, I see." She said smiling sweetly again. The dark haired woman leaned a little closer to the strawberry blond gal and spoke softly to her, I wasn't able to hear what she said but she lowered her sunglasses to peek over the tops of them looking at me intently as she spoke. "Do you have a name my handsome handy man?" Strawberry blonde asked me in a soft voice.

"Jim, ma'am. James actually but I go by Jim." I said as I took off my hat and wiped my brow that was sweating from the heat.

"Jim, be a dear and go to the front yard and collect Michelle. Tell her that Penny said for her to join us on the patio for some lemonade, you will join us won't you Jim?" She smiled sweetly again one animated manicured eyebrow climbing questioningly on her forehead.

"Yes ma'am. I'll go get Michelle, and thank you." I said turning to go back around the garage to the front yard. As I rounded the garage and went through the gate to the front yard I saw that Michelle was on the last strip of grass finishing up the front yard. She shut her mower down as I approached and she asked me if I were finished with the back yard that fast. I told her no I had barely gotten started on it when I encountered the two ladies on the patio sun bathing. She smiled and asked me if I got an eyeful.

I must have blushed because she smiled all that much bigger and giggled. I told her that Miss Penny requested her to join them for lemonade on the patio. I told her I would help her load her mower first if she wanted. She laughed and said it wasn't her mower, it belonged to the two ladies I met. She pushed it into the open garage and parked it then we walked around the side of the garage to the back yard again and to the patio. The ladies must have went inside and returned before Michelle and I could return to the patio as they were now both wearing silk cover-ups or robes and sitting at an umbrella covered glass topped patio table with four glasses with ice and a pitcher of lemonade. Miss Penny was fanning herself with a Chinese folded fan while the dark haired woman was still wearing sunglasses but now reading a magazine.

"Oh for heaven's sake Michelle, look at you! Please come and sit and have some lemonade before you expire from the heat!" Penny waved us over to the table. "Won't you introduce us properly to this handsome young man here?" She said smiling and fanning herself. Then remembering herself she set the fan down and reached for the pitcher of lemonade and poured some into the two empty glasses one for Michelle and one for myself.

Michelle approached the table and before she could reach for the chair I pulled it out for her as I was taught at an early age. It wasn't even conscious thought, just reflex on my part. This simple act must have seemed odd to all three of the girls as they all took pause and looked at me. The dark haired woman turned to look at Miss Penny and her eyebrows both went up behind her dark sunglasses questioningly and she smiled ever so slightly. Miss Penny just beamed and turned her head slightly towards Michelle and watched me out of the corner of her eyes. Michelle just stood there for a moment looking at me as if she were trying to figure me out... again, before she accepted the chair and sat down. I took my own seat and nodded to the two ladies. Miss Penny cleared her throat looking directly at Michelle and tilted her head towards me her eye brows arching questioningly as if to say "Well?"

Michelle looked again at me then at both the ladies and said. "Miss Maggie, Miss Penny, this is Jim, he's a friend of Jules'. I believe they work together for Dom's Pizza." Michelle again looked at me and kind of shrugged her shoulders.

"So do you know Jim Michelle?" Miss Penny asked quietly while looking at me like I was lunch or something.

"Well, actually we have met, we were in school together years ago. I had a class with him once..." Michelle added looking directly at Miss Maggie, the dark haired woman.

"Michelle?" Miss Penny left hanging and cocked her head slightly as if waiting for Michelle to continue. Michelle then realized that she hadn't completed the introductions sat up a little straighter and looked at me then said. "Jim, this is Miss Penny..." she indicated the talkative strawberry blonde, "And Miss Maggie." She tipped her head towards the dark haired woman who sat back her elbows on the arm rests of her chair and brought her right hand to her chin as if pondering some thought or another.

"Only one class together Michelle?" Penney teased the question leading Michelle to go on with more detail. Instead I spoke up.

"Well we might have ended up in more classes together had I continued attending the same school but my family moved and I ended up in school in another county. Actually this is the first time I've seen Michelle in years. I was surprised that she even recognized me to be honest ma'am." I spoke softly and glanced over at Michelle to find her studying me again.

"Well I don't know about sweet Michelle here, but I don't think I would have easily forgotten such a handsome young man." Penny purred smiling at me and glancing sidelong at Michelle judging her reaction. Michelle actually blushed and then cleared her throat and took a long drink of lemonade from her glass. I know I was probably blushing as well but I was a bit tongue tied and just sat there holding my own glass not sure what to say or do.

"Michelle, dear, if you are finished mowing the front yard, why don't you go inside and have a shower and change into something a bit more ladylike than that atrocious sportswear. Find me after you've dressed, I need to discuss something with you... in private." Miss Maggie spoke for the first time then went back to studying her magazine. Miss Penny looked a little surprised glancing from Michelle to Maggie and back. Standing up and extending her hand to me she said.

"Jim, if you will excuse us we will leave you to your work now. Feel free to have more lemonade of course, and if you would... knock on the back door before you leave dear?"

I got the distinct impression I was being dismissed and stood as the ladies all rose from their chairs and after emptying my own glass, I returned to my mower and restarted it. It took me almost an hour to mow the back yard, and wonder about Miss Maggie insisting on Michelle showering and changing her clothes? She has clothes here? As I pushed my mower back to the edge of the patio I found a full glass of cold lemonade waiting for me on the tabletop. I drank it empty in moments then took the glass with me to the back door and knocked. A few moments later Miss Penny opened the door and leaned against the door jamb smiling at me with those entrancing blue eyes. Again I got the distinct impression I was being sized up and I began to blush and was becoming somewhat tongue tied.

"Finished with the mowing Jim?" She asked

"Yes ma'am..."

"Penny..." She corrected me.

"Miss Penny, yes, I've finished mowing. Thank you again for the lemonade."

"Will we see you again Jim? " She asked running her right hand along the collar of her robe down to where the two sides met just above her impressive cleavage, the silky material hiding very little of her breasts and her nipples straining to poke right through. Stammering I had to swallow and regain my composure before answering.

"I really don't know ma'... Miss Penny. I was only helping out Jules but I'm sure if she asked me to again I might see you."

"Well perhaps we will have to have a talk with young Jules and recommend you in the future. It's not often we meet young men with attention to detail and are willing to work."

And just when I thought my face would return to my normal shade, there I was blushing again. I know I must have been bright red as Miss Penny just beamed with a beautiful smile and her delightful eyes crinkled up with glee.

"Thank you Miss Penny. Have a wonderful afternoon." I smiled bashfully and handed her the empty glass and made my exit. Pushing my mower around the side of the garage back to the front of the house I noticed that what I assumed was Michelle's car was still parked out front. Again, I may be a little slow sometimes but I had my suspicions about her professed "preference of buddies". As I drove off I couldn't escape the nagging thought that I was missing something about these two ladies, there was a certain familiarity or perhaps a feeling of déjà vu. I couldn't put my finger on it so I let it go. I knew from past experience that if it was something important it would come to me in time.

A week later Jules pulled me aside one evening as we were closing at Dom's and asked me about that day. "What did you do Jim? I sent you to mow a yard and now you've been requested by name to come back and mow it again." Jules looked me with a shit eating grin on her face. "You must have impressed the ladies." She added.

"Beats me Jules, I just mowed the yard. I mean besides sitting and having a glass of lemonade with them and Michelle, after they asked me to of course." I shrugged and went about cleaning.

"Speaking of Michelle, last time I saw her she grilled me about you. She wanted to know how long I've known you, if you were straight, were you seeing anyone, hell she asked if I knew where you lived even. So spill it! What did you do Jim?" Jules kept on pushing my buttons, trying to get me to talk. I eventually told her everything that happened from the time I pulled up to the time I drove away. I told her I suspected that the ladies were, an item, or at least had similar preferences as she herself, not that it was any concern of mine. I also told her that I was a little disappointed in that Michelle might be playing for the same team so to speak, just one more high school fantasy stripped from my mind. Yeah I must have been blushing royally at that point because Jules laughed till she nearly cried. I was not amused. As we were getting in our cars after locking up the shop Jules pulled me aside again and told me.

"Jim, Michelle is different. I don't think she's decided which team she's playing for yet, in fact I think she enjoys the freedom of choice if you know what I mean." She punched me in the arm and smiled. She went on... "And those two ladies are teachers."

"I don't care what they do for a living Jules, or how they get their kicks, really." I shrugged.

Jules laughed at me again and smiled that shit eating grin of hers. "Jim, they requested you to come mow their yard again this weekend, you up for that?"

"Requested me?" I asked "Sure, I guess I could take care of it. You think Michelle will be there again?" I smiled bashfully.

"Count on it, buddy." Jules smiled at me and got in her car to drive off. I got into my truck and just sat there for a few minutes replaying the conversation in my mind looking for a hint that I might have missed. "Different" Jules had said, describing Michelle. And Michelle herself had told me she preferred guys. With a heavy sigh I started my truck and made the long drive home to the farm.

That Saturday morning I pulled up to the home of the "teachers" as Jules had called them, and I saw Michelle's car out front. But I didn't see her mowing the yard. The mower was parked about halfway to the front door so I just assumed that perhaps she was having trouble starting it again. I unloaded my own mower and grabbed the gas can and pushed towards the back yard. Once through the gate beside the garage I started my own mower and began mowing. When I got around to the far side of the garage where I happened upon the vision of those two ladies sun bathing last week I found the patio and chairs empty. I was a little disappointed perhaps but I pressed on and continued mowing the yard. There was still no sign of anyone when I had finished mowing the back yard so I shut down my mower and pushed it back around to the front of the house. I was about to load my mower back into my pickup truck when I thought I should ask if I should mow the front yard as well. I was still kind of curious about Michelle and if in fact she was even here. I walked to the front door and rang the bell. I stood there for a few minutes and was about to give up and leave, in fact I had already turned and was about to walk away when I heard the front door open. I turned and found Miss Margaret standing there in a dark red silk robe holding a full glass of iced tea.

"Jim, so good to see you again, won't you come in and have a glass of tea?" she asked with the barest hint of a smile. I had to pause, for a moment because I was lost in a momentary flashback. I guess it was the sunglasses she wore the last time I saw her that prevented me from recognizing her, but today there was no mistaking. Those coppery golden brown eyes are unforgettable especially if they had ever glared at you. I must have looked like a fish out of water, my mouth moving and nothing coming out.

"Mrs... Mrs. May?" I stammered , honestly I don't know how I even got anything even that intelligible out of my mouth as my brain was like a centrifuge of contrasting images and memories trying to comprehend and contrast conflicting memories and current images. The Mrs. May I remember from school was always so... dowdy... plain... so... I don't know School Teacher. But I saw her last week in almost nothing but her bare skin and then with a sexy slinky cover up and now today with this OH MY GOD sexy robe... Suddenly my head was on fire. I just knew I was blushing like mad. I know because that hint of a smile she was wearing transformed into a wide dazzling smile that made my heart skip a beat, or maybe it was her bewitching eyes.