Believer Ch. 02

Story Info
Press War continues; Orange Order selections.
9.2k words
4.79
6.5k
8

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/27/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Author's special note: This story covers those every-year Holiday things, and also lays groundwork and builds up to two big future stories. Thank you for your patience.

Part 8 - Tit-For-Tat

Monday, December 2nd. As we sat in stunned silence in my office after watching my wife throw a nuclear grenade at the SBI-OER, and Britt Maxwell in particular, I turned to SBI Lt. Norm Chow and said "Norm, please tell Inspector Maxwell that I did not know my wife was going to do that, nor did I have any idea she was planning to sue the SBI and Inspector Maxwell."

"I believe you." said Norm Chow, his voice as flat and dispassionate as ever. "Let me go give her a call now." He got up and left the office for the second time that morning.

"Wowwwww." Cindy said. "Just wowwwww."

"And she didn't tell you." Teresa said, more as a statement than a question.

"She must've put that together Saturday, while Carole and I were at the game." I said. "And she didn't say a word yesterday---"

*BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!* *BRING!*

It was my Police iPhone, and the caller was Inspector Britt Maxwell. My Angels were getting up to go, but I waved them back into their seats as I answered.

"Hello, Britt----" I started.

"What the HELL was that about, Don?" Britt shouted, her voice full of furious anger. "Norm had just told me he found no crimes and every reason to end the investigation! And Laura went and did THAT?"

"Britt, I didn't know she was going to do that." I said, trying to keep my voice calm.

"How could you not know?" Britt yelled. " She's your WIFE, for Christ's sake!"

"That's right." I said, putting some authority in my voice. "She's my wife, not my employee. I'm not her boss. And like I said, I didn't even know she was going to file a lawsuit, which she's obviously doing to force the SBI to give her the name of the accuser so she can sue him."

"And the lawsuit against me personally?" Britt yelled. "They served the papers ten minutes ago. She's going after ME, Don! Me... PERSONALLY!"

"Britt, I didn't know." I said. "I have to talk to her and see what that's about. Right now I know exactly as much as you do about all this, maybe less."

"Oh, for God's sake!" Britt uttered gutturally. Then I heard the beeps of a cellphone call that had been disconnected.

"Hoo boy." I said softly.

"What are you going to do?" asked Cindy as all three of my Angels peered hard at me.

"Not a damn thing." I said with alacrity. "This is between them..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Norm Chow came back into my office twenty minutes later, and this time my Angels did leave. He sat down in the hot chair and said "Inspector Maxwell is really angry. She didn't want me to give my findings to the State Medical Board, but I talked her into taking the high road on this. I called the State Medical Board, and they're going to delay their meeting until 2:00pm, so I can present my findings."

"Want me to fly you to Midtown in the TCPD chopper?" I asked.

"No sir," said Chow, "I have plenty of time to get down there in my vehicle. One other thing, though, sir... I told Inspector Maxwell about you not knowing about this, and she's... skeptical, sir."

"In other words, she doesn't believe me at all." I said. "Well, there's not much I can do about that. So let's just keep on keepin' on for now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

1:00pm. FBI SAC Jack Muscone asked me to meet him and ASAC Karina White to lunch at the Cop Bar. We were seated in the 'Command Room' where we had privacy.

"Before we tell you what we asked you to lunch about," said Muscone, "can you fill us in on what happened between your wife and (SBI Inspector) Britt Maxwell? We know about the whistleblower filing those charges, but why did Laura sue Britt like that?"

I said "First of all... believe it or not, I have not talked to my wife about it at all. She never told me that she was going to file the lawsuit, and we haven't talked since she made that announcement. She's in Midtown now, going before the State Medical Board."

"Second," I continued, "Laura and Britt Maxwell have a history, and not a good one, from the days Britt was with the University Campus Police here. I won't get into the weeds on that, but when Britt opened that criminal case the other day, however well-intentioned, Laura took it very personally, and what you're seeing now is retaliation. I'll add that Britt asked me about opening the case, and I voiced my objections to it, and Britt went and did it anyway."

Muscone and White nodded thoughtfully, and Jack asked "How do you think this is going to play out? Your relationship with the SBI-OER has been very good. I'll add that the SBI-OER with Britt is well-respected... and is the only part of the SBI that has any respect at all. This could really, really damage everything you and she have built up."

"Including your consideration of taking the SBI Director position?" I asked, then said "Oops, I hope Karina is aware of that."

"Yes, I know." said Karina. "Jack and I talked about it a lot while Robin Isley was doing her damnedest to get rid of us."

Muscone said "I was considering taking you up on your offer, and asking you to carve out a place for Karina to come with me. There was no way she could stay in the City FBI office if I left."

"Ditto that for Crenshaw and Jenkins in Southport, I would guess." I said. "Damn! I almost had the entire FBI in this region coming to the SBI and cleaning out the rotgut!"

Muscone said "But that falls apart if Maxwell leaves or is forced out of the SBI-OER. And we're also looking ahead to next year's Elections. The FBI will go on, no matter who is in power in the White House and Congress. The SBI is wayyyy too fragile to withstand political change in this State."

"I'm not sure the FBI is immune to political pressures in Washington." I said. "I still believe there will be a day when the Swamp is exposed, and the corruption at the top levels of the FBI as well as the Intelligence Community are exposed, with the Media trying very hard to keep it covered up."

Muscone said "We'll burn those bridges, and the Swamp Frogs, when that happens. In the meantime, here's our thought-provoking information for you. First, have you considered who the perps that blew away Darryl Dawson were... or I guess I should say 'are'?"

"Yes." I said. "Definitely ex-military SPEC OPS trained: two taps to the chest and a head shot. They had insider knowledge: they knew where to find Dawson and to be in that parking lot when he and Munson came out of the building... and at the right time, as they might've been spotted if they'd had to wait very long. I'm actually thinking Trent Ridge's ex-SEAL Team is involved... well, it would be much more accurate to say former LT Jeff Bayport's former SEAL Team. How am I doing so far?" That made Karina White laugh out loud, and even Muscone barked a laugh.

"Four hundred frickin' years ago!" Jack spluttered. "Yes, we think you may be right. There's an FBI BAU team... not Bob Rovers's corrupt, Swamp-controlled BAU team, but one that is far more trustworthy... that has been working on that. When you alerted us that all of the people we knew were on that Bayport Team had left their jobs or otherwise disappeared, they really started looking into them. They don't have much, but they told me that the hit on Dawson looked very much like the Bayport Team's M.O., though our guys didn't know those perps had gone into the murder-for-hire business for the Mob."

I said "Well, that team has been in the 'murder-for-hire' business for a while, though it's really more specialized-ops-for-hire... the EMPTY QUIVER theft, the assault on my nephew and BOW Enterprises, the attempts on Carole, all that stuff with Blassingame, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera."

I continued: "But you came here to ask me what the motive might be for the Bayport Team to do this. Your BAU team is thinking they were hired to rub out Dawson on behalf of the Mob. But they were not."

"Whaaa?" Muscone gasped. Karina White had a small twinkle in her eye, I noticed. She knew something, and knew I was catching on.

"Of course it was made to look like a Mob-hired hit, but I am not an Agency of the Weak Minded." I said. "So let me ask both of you: who else had motive to kill Darryl Dawson?"

"MegaTech Industries?" Jack asked.

"Ye-es. Maybe." I said. "If one assumes MegaTech was behind the murder of Beverly DeAngelo, that would make a lot of sense. But let's use our imaginations a bit... what if MegaTech, as a company, was not behind Beryl's death? And Elliot Sanders was just protecting his employees, especially Deborah Wilkins, and nothing more sinister?"

"Mmmm," said Karina, "that becomes a lot more fun to think about. But if it's not the Mob and not MegaTech, who is it, then?"

"Let me answer with a question." I said. "The plan to wax Beryl was fairly well conceived, with a fall guy in Bart Bell being offered up on a silver platter like the head of the Baptist John. It was fairly complex, with a number of moving parts, including devices to jam videocameras and one camera painted over, and even knowledge of the relatively secret stairwell to Suite 801. Add to it that they knew which Hotel Manager, in this case Rhineheart, to bribe in order to get information and help knock out the cameras. Now do you think Dawson and Wilkins had even the combined brainpower and knowledge to conceive that plan start-to-finish?"

"No." said Muscone, as the light came on in his beady black eyes. "And not many people doooo..." Hmmm, I thought to myself humorously, double cheeseburgers must cause reveries...

"Ohhhh, I get it." said Karina White. "Someone gave Dawson and Wilkins that plan, and then that person had Dawson eliminated so that he or she couldn't reveal his or her identity!"

"Spot on." I said with a smile. "And that person knows enough to find, and hire, Bayport's ex-SEAL mercenaries."

Karina grinned at me and her eyes twinkled a bit more as she said "I think I'm understanding something else, too. 'Theorizing without data'? Bad... bad! 'Using our imaginations'? That's okay."

"Semantics, semantics." I said dreamily. "But yes, you've caught onto me. Here, hold this." I handed Karina the red crowbar, making her eyes light up even more.

"Ah, Jack," she said, holding it up, "the only weapon in this County more powerful than a nuclear bomb."

"No, that weapon is between this redhead's ears." Jack growled in reply...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After getting back to Headquarters from lunch, I picked up some papers and went into Captain Perlman's office. She called in Lt. Jerome Davis. We discussed how well the MCD personnel had performed during the 'Homewrecker' case, and plans to get people into the advanced Academy courses they would need.

"You guys get your ballots for the Orange Order?" I asked when we were done.

"Yes sir." said Jerome. "But I'm not sure who to vote for."

"I've got ideas." said Tanya. "But I was waiting to hear... more... about it." I knew she meant she wanted to know who I was voting for.

"Just keep your eyes and ears peeled." I said as I stood up, motioning for Jerome to stay seated as he was about to get up. "Okay, y'all carry on." I moved towards the door.

"Sir!" said Jerome, who had picked up my papers from the edge of the desk. "These are yours." He extended his arm with the papers.

"Oh!" I said, just a shade too loudly. "They totally slipped my mind. Thanks!" I took the papers and exited the office.

"Bullshit." Tanya said with a grin and a gleam in her eye. "Nothing ever slips that man's mind. Ever. What were those papers?"

Jerome grinned. "The top sheet was his filled-out Orange Order ballot. Guess who he's voting for?"

And so it began...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy!" yelled Carole as I came into the front door of the Mountain Nest. She ran headlong into my legs, and hugged them. Jim also came up. As usual, I sat down on the near-side sofa and the kids climbed up onto either side of me, and we talked for a few moments about what they did in school and what I did at work.

Then I noticed two outstanding dogs at the back door. "I guess I better take the dogs out." I said.

"I'll go with you."

I looked up to see Laura standing there, having come out of the 'Puter Room. Her face told me more than she wanted to reveal.

"Okay, sure." I said. "You guys get cleaned up for supper. And no fighting."

"Okay, Daddy." Carole said. Jim also agreed, and they got up and ran upstairs. I got up, and Laura and I followed the dogs out the door and down the steps to the patio below. As the dogs went to do their business and inspect their domains, Laura and I sat down on the metal mesh loveseat.

"Are you angry?" Laura asked. It had been worry that I'd read in her face earlier.

"Angry at what?" I replied laconically. Laura just gave me a sideways 'look' and I said "Do you want me to be angry?" I asked.

Laura chuckled. "No, I don't. But I did go 'off the reservation' with that lawsuit without telling you."

"I'm not your boss." I said. "You are free to move about the Courtroom, as you see fit. What I want to know is how things went with the Medical Board?"

Laura said "Norm Chow was there, and presented his findings. I was surprised he was there, as I figured Maxwell would prevent him from going."

"Don't be unfair." I said. "Norm Chow is a man of very high integrity, and he doesn't have a dog in your fight with Britt. He was going to do the right thing, no matter what."

Laura nodded. "You're right, and I apologize if I besmirched him." she said, then continued: "He gave them his findings about me having done nothing wrong, including copies of the sworn affidavits he'd collected from the other doctors and nursers. Then I gave my testimony under oath, and that was that. They haven't ruled yet, but as of the time I left for home, I still had my license."

"Okay, then." I said. "Well, I perceive two outstanding dogs that are ready to go back inside. And it's getting cold, so I want to go back inside, too."

"Can't handle the cold anymore?" Laura asked, who had no problem with cold temperatures. "Getting old, are you?"

"Ha ha." I said. "The best part of colder weather is that I get to snuggle with you in bed."

"Mmmm, you haven't lost that silver tongue of yours, Mr. Smoothie." Laura said as we headed up the steps, followed by Bowser and Buddy.

We re-entered the house to hear yelling upstairs. Carole and Jim were going at it verbally.

"Hey!" I said when I got upstairs. "I told you no fighting."

"We're not fighting, Daddy." Carole said. "We're just arguing." My look at them conveyed that those semantics were a 'wrong answer'...

Part 9 - Punch and Counterpunch

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, December 3d, from near the Courthouse complex. "Channel Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of the legal drama swirling around Dr. Laura Fredricson!"

Bettina began: "Deep divisions are forming in several places over the allegations of ethics violations against Dr. Fredricson. Among the University Faculty, several tenured Professors have openly disagreed with President Sidney P. Wellman's dismissal of the complaint to the University Ethics Board. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. First was Dr. Jan Camp of the Women's Studies Department: "It is very disturbing that President Wellman has chosen to dismiss these very serious and credible allegations against Laura Fredricson. These allegations should have been investigated very thoroughly, and Fredricson should have been suspended until that investigation is complete."

Dr. Juanita Rivera of the Romance Languages Department said: "I am deeply disappointed that President Wellman is sweeping this ethics complaint under the rug. Dr. Fredricson has had complaints filed against her in the past, and of course she is the wife of the dirtiest cop in the State, and as such cannot be trusted. I speak for the majority of the Faculty that agrees with me but is too afraid of Sidney Wellman and the Police to speak up and speak freely."

Dr. Lionel Carmela of the Political Science Department said: "Dr. Fredricson should have been suspended pending a full investigation of the accusations against her. The seriousness of the charges warrant that full suspension."

Dr. Joseph Zenger, head of the Journalism School, said: "It is very embarrassing for our University President to attempt to suppress the truth about Dr. Fredricson's ethical violations and even crimes in the oppressive fashion that he has."

Back to Bettina live, having shown no professors that supported Laura. She said "The State Medical Board is also deeply divided over the allegations. Dr. Fredricson testified before the Board yesterday, and a report from SBI Lieutenant Norm Chow was also accepted into evidence by the Board. While many on the Medical Board loudly demanded that Dr. Fredricson's medical license be suspended, a slim majority voted against any suspension at this time."

Bettina: "And the SBI is badly divided and roiling after Dr. Fredricson sued them, as well as suing SBI-OER Inspector Britt Maxwell personally, for opening a criminal case against her without the basis or support of any criminal statute on the books. Yesterday, acting upon motions filed by the SBI's legal counsel Earl Drake, Judge M. Stanton Lee of the Twin Cities Superior Court (Westphalia/Eastphalia) dismissed much of the complaint, including the personal lawsuit against Inspector Maxwell."

Bettina: "But he let stand a portion of the lawsuit whereby Dr. Fredricson demanded the name of the whistleblower that had made the false allegation agains there. Judge Lee stated that Dr. Fredricson has the Constitutional right to know who her accuser is and to face him or her in Court, which could include a slander and defamation lawsuit if Dr. Fredricson files it."

Bettina: "That portion of that ruling was immediately appealed. Attorney Josh Daschle, who filed the criminal complaint on behalf of the whistleblower, said that his client was protected by State and Federal whistleblower laws and should not be revealed, especially if the case doesn't go to trial."

Bettina: "And the turmoil in the SBI just got worse, as SBI Director James 'Curly' Goodwin, a close crony of Police Commander Donald Troy, announced he is running for the Town & County Inspector General position as a Republican. KXTC has formally endorsed Commissioner Bruce Finneran for the I.G. position as the only man that will stand up to Commander Troy's Police abuses of minorities."

Bettina: "Commander Troy is the husband of Dr. Laura Fredricson and is an SBI Reserve Inspector that has worked closely with SBI-OER Inspector Britt Maxwell and SBI Director Goodwin in support of deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared's policies of racism and abuse of women. Commander Troy has refused to respond to multiple requests by KXTC for comment on these issues, suspiciously denying the Citizens of this County the answers they have the right to expect..."