Beneath the Ice Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alexei, I--" She paused and shook her head, wondering how she could ever repay him. "Thank you so much for your help."

Was she imagining things or did his cheeks turn pink? He cleared his throat and jerked to his feet. "Are you finished?"

She nodded and he took away her half-eaten eggs.

"You need to eat more." He eyed her plate and gave her a stern look. "I'll make toast."

"I don't have bread."

"Grumpy bought that, too," Zoe said.

"Zoe." Charlotte sighed and squeezed her daughter. "Don't call him that."

"He said I could." Zoe shifted so she could look up. "And he calls me zaby."

"Zaya." He chuckled as he popped two slices of bread into the toaster. "It's zaya."

"And what does that mean?"

Alexei turned and rested a hip against the kitchen counter. "It's Russian. It means little bunny, but it's more like you Americans would call someone honey, or dear."

"Ah." Charlotte smiled. She liked that. "And don't I get a nickname too?" She tickled Zoe's side with gentle fingers, making the little girl giggle once.

"You're Mommy."

Charlotte blew a raspberry that turned into a harsh cough for a second. Alexei swooped down with a cup of water and she lifted startled eyes to him. "Thank you." She swallowed it all and rested her cheek on Zoe's soft head. "Mommy, huh? That's boring. I want to be Wonder Woman or something fun like that."

"Krasotka."

Charlotte looked up at Alexei's rough voice to find his golden-brown eyes on her. She sucked in a breath at the look on his face, then shivered. Was she feverish again?

"What does that mean?"

He blinked, as if not expecting the question. Behind him, the toast popped up and he turned away, not answering her.

Well, she'd ask again later. Knowing him, it might mean something like 'mud pie' or 'ginger-haired'.

"Here. Eat." He set the plate down as a phone chimed somewhere in the apartment.

Charlotte realized that was hers and looked over her shoulder. She couldn't set Zoe down but Alexei was already moving away. He grabbed it off the coffee table and brought it to her.

"Before I forget, I did answer it yesterday when your friend Sarah called." Alexei handed it to her, his expression wry. "She called three times in ten minutes so I thought she must be worried. I'm not sure I made her feel better, but she didn't call again or call the police."

Charlotte snorted out a laugh and nodded. That would be something Sarah would do, or show up with a baseball bat. Looking down at the phone screen, she saw that she had a few text messages, from Sarah and Ursula. They, and the daycare, were pretty much the only people who ever called or texted her.

"I'll respond in a few minutes." She set the phone down and ate the toast, managing to get Zoe to have a few bites as well. As she ate, Alexei moved around her kitchen, cleaning the pan and spatula he'd used for the eggs. He loaded the dishes in the dishwasher and wiped the counter, all as if he'd been there for years, not two days.

"Alexei."

He stopped and turned to look at her, one dark eyebrow cocked.

"I can't--" She shook her head and looked down, running her hand over Zoe's back. "I don't know--"

"Mommy." Zoe's weak voice had Charlotte clutching her closer. "My tummy feels funny."

Alexei's eyes narrowed on the little girl and he came forward, dropping to a crouch beside their chair. "Does it feel like you're going to be sick?"

Zoe's eyes filled with tears and she nodded. Alexei's hand reached out to cup the little girl's face, brushing gentle fingers over her cheek.

"You're very warm now, zaya."

"Mommy..." She turned her face to Charlotte's chest again, her breathing shaky.

"Okay, sweetie. Let's go to the bathroom." She kissed Zoe's hair and shifted, trying to stand. But with the last few days she'd had, and Zoe's all but dead weight in her arms, Charlotte couldn't manage to get up.

Alexei rose, plucking Zoe from her arms and cradling her close. Zoe didn't even flinch. She curled against Alexei's broad chest, whimpering a little.

"Come, let's go drink some cold water."

"Okay."

Charlotte wanted to burst into tears. Her little baby was hurting and she could barely stand up on her own. What kind of mother was she? She wasn't fit to be the sole adult responsible for Zoe's life.

Alexei carried Zoe into the second bathroom and Charlotte heaved herself to her feet, swaying for a moment before she followed. She leaned on the doorway as Alexei propped Zoe on the counter and gave her a cup of cold water from the tap in there. Zoe drank it in little sips, her little body hiccuping every few seconds. After she finished the water, she reached for Alexei and he lifted her again, cuddling her against his chest.

Charlotte watched, tears in her eyes as Alexei rocked her daughter to and fro. After a minute or so, Zoe sagged in his hold, out cold. He glanced at Charlotte over Zoe's head and carried her to her bedroom. There, he set her down in her bed and drew the blanket up to her chin.

Charlotte stood back and watched it all, her heart squeezing. Alexei took her arm and led her away from Zoe's bedroom, closing the door.

"Come. You need to sleep too."

She wanted to argue. She wanted to stay and watch her baby girl sleep. But Alexei was too strong. He all but carried her to her bedroom and guided her into bed.

"Sleep. Don't worry about anything."

"But, I--"

Alexei shook his head, tucking the covers up around her. "It's all right. Everything will be fine. Sleep, krasotka."

She yawned. "What does that mean?"

He didn't tell her.

─────

Charlotte didn't stay asleep long. She woke after an hour, finding a hand-written note on the kitchen table from Alexei.

Had to work. I took one of your spare keys to make sure I locked up behind me, I hope that's okay.

Under that was a phone number, one that she assumed was his.

Disappointment lodged in her chest. Of course he had to work. He must have a game, or practice at the very least. She'd obviously monopolized his time long enough. With a sigh, she set the note down and checked on Zoe. She was still sleeping, her skin warm but not damp, and her breathing deep and even.

Finally, Charlotte sat on the couch and checked her text messages. She responded to Ursula, saying she would hopefully be back to work by Tuesday, as normal, but it would depend on how Zoe fared for the next day and a half. She answered Sarah's concerned messages, assuring her friend she was all right, but exhausted.

After she hit 'send', her phone rang, Sarah's name flashing across the screen.

"Hi, Sarah."

"Girl, you've been holding out on me."

"What are you talking about?"

"You didn't tell me you were shacking up with your grumpy Russian."

Charlotte barked out a laugh that turned into a hoarse cough. She caught her breath and shook her head. "Oh, my God, Sarah. Whatever gave you that idea?"

Sarah snickered. "He answered your phone at nine in the morning yesterday. What was I supposed to think?"

"He was watching Zoe."

There was a pause and Charlotte knew Sarah was trying to decide which questions to pester her with first.

"Okay, I'm going to need so much more. Start at the beginning."

Charlotte frowned. "Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I left work early on Friday, napped a while, picked up Zoe from daycare later, and I was fine. Pretty much. Then we got home and started to watch some show, and I felt nauseous."

"Oh, gross."

"Yeah. It was. I started throwing up, so much."

"Okay, stop. I get it. Nasty. How did Alexei end up in your place the next morning?"

"I guess my puking freaked Zoe out pretty bad and she got Alexei here."

"How?"

"I don't really know. Maybe she went and knocked on his door?" Though Charlotte couldn't really see that, never mind the absolute horror that filled her at the thought of her daughter wandering out of the apartment alone. It was all fine now, Zoe was safe in her bedroom, but still. Shoving the doom and gloom thoughts aside, she rubbed her eyes. "Anyway, he showed up and helped me as I threw up some more."

"Oh. My. God. He saw you like that? All pukey and gross?"

"Yep." Charlotte leaned her head back on the couch and sighed. She hadn't given it much thought earlier when she'd woken but she was pretty sure she wanted to die before she ever faced him again. "He sure did. Then he made me go back to bed and said he'd watch Zoe."

"For two days?"

"I guess so. Yeah. He did. I woke up this morning and they were cooking together." Warmth flooded Charlotte as she recalled the scene when she'd finally crawled out of bed.

Alexei and Zoe. Alexei holding Zoe like she was the most precious creature. It did so many things to her heart.

"Char, oh my God. What kind of guy does that?"

The best guys. Charlotte yawned, still so exhausted. Turning, she stretched out lengthwise on the couch and got comfortable. "He was nice, for sure, but I never thought he was a bad guy, even when he was all grumpy with us."

Sarah let out a light laugh. "Are you sure? You had some choice opinions on his behavior before."

"Well, yeah. He's rude, but I don't think he's all that bad, not really. He was nice to Zoe before all this."

"That's true." Sarah was aware of their previous encounters. "But so lucky that he was around, Char. What if he'd been playing a game? Why didn't you call me if you were feeling so shitty? I'd have come to at least take Zoe off your hands."

"I didn't even think of it, I'm sorry. I didn't have my phone in between bouts of emptying my insides."

"Ew. Don't ever mention that again."

Charlotte smiled. "What did Alexei say when you talked?"

"He was nice, but very abrupt. When I got all shrill, he put Zoe on the phone and I managed to get some more details from her." Sarah sighed. "She was super excited that they were going to walk to the grocery store, and I thought, any guy who promises to let a little girl carry eggs must be all right."

"Sure. Or very clever."

"He's both, yes?"

Sighing, Charlotte threw an arm over her eyes. "Yes." Clever, kind, thoughtful. So sexy it hurt.

"Well, listen, since we're off tomorrow, I can come over tonight and spend the night. Unless your babysitter is still there?"

"No, Alexei is gone." Charlotte yawned. "But you don't have to come over, Sarah. We're fine. Zoe is napping right now, and I can manage something easy for dinner."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, totally. We're fine. Besides, don't think I've forgotten about your grandmother's eightieth birthday tonight. And you promised to take your sister to that thing tomorrow at noon. Something to do with school?"

Sarah made a noise. "Right. I could so get out of all of it, if you really needed me to, honey."

"I know you could, and I appreciate the thought, Sarah. You're the best."

"I am."

Charlotte could hear the smile in her friend's voice as she yawned again. "Look, I'm going to nap now while Zoe is still down. I'll text you later if I need anything, I promise."

"Okay. Yeah, get some rest and if you need Tuesday off still, I can totally manage without you. I'll let Ursula know."

"Thanks, Sarah. Talk to you soon."

"Bye, hon."

The call ended and Charlotte had enough strength left to toss the phone on the coffee table before fading out.

─────

Zoe called for her before she could sleep for too long and they spent a few hours shuffling between the couch and bathroom. Zoe still hadn't thrown up, but she was whiny and lethargic until Charlotte finally put her down shortly after a light dinner of toast and cereal.

As she crawled into her own bed, Charlotte had the brief thought that she should shower, but she wasn't sure she had the energy to stand there and wash. Maybe in the morning. She was reaching to turn off her bedside lamp when there was a light knock from her front door.

Frowning, she threw the covers back, tugged her sweater back on over her pajamas and shuffled to the front door. When she saw Alexei through the peephole, her stomach lurched, and she opened the door with a shy smile.

"Hi."

He looked her up and down once and let out a breath. "You look terrible."

She pressed her fingers to her lips to keep from bursting into laughter. This man had no filter whatsoever. "Thank you." She eyed him up and down as well and shrugged. "You're no treat yourself."

He glanced down at his outfit of track pants and long-sleeved shirt. "What's wrong with me?"

Nothing. Not a damn thing. Charlotte leaned on the door and took a step back. "Are you coming in?"

He hesitated before nodding once and stepping inside. He closed and locked the door before following her to the couch, even though she'd been in bed when he'd knocked.

"How was your day?" she asked as she tucked her legs under her on one end of the couch.

"It was fine. I have to leave tomorrow."

"Okay." She frowned until she realized what he meant. "Oh, road trip. Where to this time?"

"St. Louis and Nashville." He sat beside her and turned his body to face her. "I'll be back Friday."

"Okay. Did you need me to do something while you're gone?"

He blinked and shook his head. "Why would you ask that?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. You've never come to tell me you're leaving before." Granted, he'd only been on a few road trips since they'd met, and they'd hardly been bosom companions. "Maybe you want me to water your plants?"

"No. I wanted to make sure you'd be okay while I'm gone."

Charlotte's breath caught and she looked away. What in the hell was going on? "I think so."

He said nothing for a long moment and when she finally lifted her eyes, he was watching her.

"You look tired."

She stifled another laugh, not wanting to wake Zoe. "You've already mentioned that I look awful."

"Not awful." He sighed and stood up, holding a hand down in front of her face. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" She was too tired to argue or even question what he was doing here. Again.

"You need to shower."

At that, she did laugh, even as she tottered after him to the bathroom in her bedroom. "And you're going to help me with that?"

He turned to her as he flicked the light on in the bathroom and the look he gave her warmed her from the top of her head to the tips of her toes, with so much of it pooling low in her belly. It had been a long time since anyone had looked at her like that. Years. Almost five, considering that Zoe's fourth birthday was in a few weeks.

"I would if you asked." Alexei's voice was low, his accent growing thicker. "But you aren't in any shape for that."

Something had happened over the past few days, something beyond the nature of their interactions up to this point. She knew it and apparently he knew it too, she was just too chickenshit to say anything about it.

Instead, she propped herself against her vanity and watched as he pulled the shower curtain and leaned in to turn on the water. He tested the temperature for a few seconds before backing up and turning to her. Again, those eyes of his swept over her.

"You can undress?"

God, how badly she wanted to say no, that she needed help. She shivered and nodded.

With that, Alexei left her alone in the bathroom, closing the door behind him. She stared at the water, watching as steam started to curl out around the shower curtain. With slow movements, she took everything off and stepped into the tub.

As soon as the water hit her skin, she let out a sigh. Tired or not, it already felt incredible. She took her time, working shampoo through her hair, rinsing, and doing it again. Then she worked up a good lather with her body wash and the loofah, making sure she scrubbed every inch of her skin. By the time she stepped out and dried off, she was pink all over. She pulled out fresh clothes and combed her hair before walking out to find Alexei, wondering if he'd stayed.

He was there all right. Apparently Zoe had woken while she'd been in the shower and Charlotte found them together on the couch.

Alexei was stretched out on his back, his head tilted towards the TV for whatever show he'd put on. Sprawled out over his chest, tucked halfway between him and the back of the couch, was Zoe, her cheek pressed right over Alexei's heart. Alexei had one arm around Zoe's waist, holding her in place, the other was rubbing in slow circles around her upper back.

Charlotte must have made some noise because Alexei looked up at her. They didn't speak. He stared at her, and she stared back, her heart speeding up with every moment that passed. Alexei gave a slow blink, those golden eyes dipping over her face, snagging on her lips, then traveling down. By the time he made it back to her eyes, she was flushed all over, from more than her recent shower.

With slow movements, so he didn't disturb the child he held, Alexei turned the TV off, sat up and rose to his feet. He carried Zoe back to her bedroom and returned to Charlotte after, who remained rooted to the spot. Taking her hand in his, he led her to her own bedroom and pulled back the covers on her bed.

"In."

She hesitated but nodded once, climbing in. Alexei followed and she shimmied over to allow him more room. He dragged the covers back up over them both and Charlotte rested her head on the pillow, watching him with wide eyes.

"Here, Charlotte."

His strong arm reached for her and she went. Even without being as weak as she was, she would have gone willingly. In all honesty, she'd had to fight off some intense jealousy each time she'd found Zoe snuggled in Alexei's arms. She just hadn't wanted to admit it.

He was so grumpy, with his demands for quiet, and his hard stare. But as she pressed her cheek to the warm curve of his chest, she thought about how thoughtful he was. How gentle he was with Zoe, and how sweet.

"Sleep."

His single word demands were doing something else to her. As she closed her eyes and let her mind wander, Charlotte imagined him saying other words.

Undress. Kiss.

More.

Come...

─────

Alexei hadn't intended to spend the night in Charlotte's bed. He'd only meant to see how they were doing, and make sure Charlotte did go to bed early. Instead, he'd taken one look at her flushed post-shower face and hadn't been able to make himself leave.

Conclusion: he'd lost his damn mind over Charlotte and Zoe and the way Charlotte's curves fit against him was pretty much the best memory he carried with him now.

Getting on the flight to St. Louis was hard. Harder than he'd been when he'd crawled out of Charlotte's bed before dawn on Monday morning.

"What's with the face, Alexei?" Olle elbowed him as they took their customary seats on the plane.

"What face?" Alexei scowled at his team captain. "It's my face."

"It's this face." Olle proceeded to demonstrate, hanging his chin down, his lips pulling down on either side, like an exaggerated sad clown. "Is it because of your girlfriend?"

"She's not my girlfriend."

Olle snickered and tugged out his headphones. "Sure. Your noisy upstairs neighbor who seems to have snagged enough of your interest that we didn't see you for three days."

Alexei scowled at the man and then proceeded to ignore him. His phone chimed a moment later and he looked down to see a message from Joelle, Olle's wife. She was on her way to the building now, which relieved some of the pressure that was building up in his chest.

"Is that Joelle?" Olle nudged him with his elbow. "I knew it was a mistake letting you two exchange numbers."

Alexei rolled his eyes. He knew Olle didn't mean it. Olle and Joelle were just about the poster-children for the perfect marriage, no real jealousy at all. When Alexei had asked for Joelle's number, and explained why, Olle hadn't hesitated, nor had Joelle. It was simply that teammates couldn't go a day without ribbing each other.