Best Buy

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What? What are you little monkeys up to?" their mother asked.

"Did you guys have fun?" Hailee asked for all three of them.

Blake looked at Gray then said, "Yes we did."

"Emily said you guys k...."

"Hailee! Don't you dare!" Emily nearly yelled.

"You just told me they...."

"Just...stop! Okay?" Emily said, on the verge of tears. "I can't tell you anything!"

Blake asked them to sit down then sat across from them.

"Okay, first of all, you shouldn't have been spying on us," she told Emily in the nicest way possible.

"Sorry," she said dejectedly, knowing she'd done something wrong.

"But yes, we did kiss," Blake told them.

Emily didn't smile, but she did look at her mom when she told her, "I'm glad."

Gray was standing next to her mother, and when he put his hand on her shoulder, Blake reached up and took it.

"Me, too," their mom said before asking them what they'd like to do.

"Hide and go seek!" Jenna called out.

"No! I wanna play Candy Land!" Hailee said.

Before Emily could chime in, Gray suggested they do both. "And whatever Emily wants after that."

"Okay!" all three of them said in unison.

"I'm gonna go hide in the laundry room!" Jenna called out causing the adults to laugh.

It was just after nine when the kids went to bed worn out and and happy. Within seconds of sitting down on the couch, Blake turned to Gray and asked, "Where is all of this going?"

Gray got serious and said, "I don't know, Blake. I do know this, though. The moment I saw you for the first time, I thought you were quite possibly the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. I never dreamed you go out with me, but I'm very happy you did. I also know I've enjoyed every minute I've spent with you. I also know I'd like there to be many more days like this one. Days where you, me, and the girls spend time together. But where it's going isn't something I can't answer because a lot of that is up to you."

"I almost didn't go out with you. I couldn't get over how...old you are."

She'd been looking at him while he spoke, but now that it was her turn, she couldn't.

After a lengthy moment of silence she did look at him before she spoke again.

"But I did say 'yes' and I've had the best time I've had in years. And I haven't seen my children laugh like that since...well, since their father was alive. I don't think Jenna even remembers him, but Hailee does, and Emily misses him terribly."

"I do understand," Gray said, and Blake knew that was true.

Blake looked at him rather imploringly then said, "I brought you into my girls' life without really giving it much thought, and after having such a great time, now I'm afraid I may have made a big mistake."

"Because you're afraid they'll become attached around the time I realize what I'm getting myself into and leave."

He smiled then asked, "Right?"

Blake tried to smile but could only nod.

"Yes. Exactly."

"May I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"How do you feel about me, Blake? Am I someone you'd even want to stick around were I tell you I feel like I've found the woman...and the life...I really want?"

Before she answered him, Gray also said, "Forget about the kids for just a moment. And if you can, forget about my age. Am I someone you'd at least be interested in having stick around if I told you I want to?"

"May I have a some time to sort through everything I'm feeling?" she asked as she reached for his hand.

"Of course. Take all the time you need."

"Thank you, Gray. For...everything. But I really do need some time."

"This sounds like goodbye," he said quietly.

"No. But it probably should be 'goodnight', don't you think?"

"I don't want it to be, but yes, it probably should," Gray agreed, albeit reluctantly.

"I really did have a wonderful time, Gray."

"That makes me very happy," he told her, a smile appearing on his lips.

As she walked him to the door, her mind was once again swirling. But so was her body that yearned to be loved so badly it hurt.

"I...I wouldn't mind if you kissed me again," Blake told him as they once again stood by her door.

"This time, I can truthfully say nothing would make me happier."

The kiss was long and sweet and as their tongues gently flicked, Blake wanted to be with him so badly she was surprised she found the strength not to ask him to stay.

"May I at least call you while you're thinking things through?" he asked, his face just inches from hers.

"I..I'm not sure. It might be best if we didn't have any contact at all until I work though this," Blake told him as gently as she could.

Gray said he understood then gently touched her cheek and kissed her softly one more time before saying goodnight.

Blake stood there with her back against the door wondering why love was so difficult even as she wondered whether or not this could even be love.

There was a three-day weekend coming up, and Blake suddenly wanted to go home. No, she needed to go home. Or rather to her mom and dad's place.

She called her mom the next morning to make sure they'd be home, and her mother not only said they would be, but that she couldn't wait to see her daughter and granddaughters.

"Blake? I get the sense you need to talk about this new man in your life," her mother said just before they hung up.

"Mom? I'm so confused I can't think straight," her daughter replied.

"Then come see me. We'll talk and by the time you go back home, we'll have this settled."

Blake almost said, "You say that now, Mom."

Instead she told her mom how much she loved and that she'd see her early on Saturday.

The Villages was only a couple of hours away, so they pulled in just before noon. The girls piled out of the car and went running inside.

"Grandpa!" Emily said when she saw her grandfather. She got the first of four hugs as his own daughter said, "I am so glad to see you, Daddy."

His wife had mentioned a new man in their daughter's life, but that was 'women's business' so he didn't ask. He just told her he was so glad to see her, too.

As the girls played, Blake and her mom had a cup of tea and that's when Gray came up.

They talked about Toby, the two years since he'd passed away, and then about the movie and dinner afterward.

"So he brought a flower for each of you? And the colors were correct? Honey, what in the world is the matter?" her mom asked after having recounted everything her daughter just told her.

Blake took a sip of tea, set the china cup down, then said, "Please don't judge too quickly, okay?"

"I promise," her mother said, now very concerned. "But if he's a married man, I'm not sure I can keep that promise."

Blake's eyes bulged open wide as she said, "Oh, my goodness. Mom. No! Never."

"Okay. Then let's have it. What is this big secret you're keeping all to yourself, honey?"

Blake sat there for a good while then finally took a very deep breath and exhaled slowly.

"He's young, Mom. As in...very young."

"Oh. I see," her mother said, wanting to ask the all-important 'how young are we taking about' question. "But let me say this before you tell me. He seems to have character and integrity, two of the most important qualities in any person. But regardless of his age, you need time to assess those qualities, Blake. You need to see how he reacts under stress. Is he consistent over time? If what you see is nothing but positive, then maybe his age isn't that important. But if he changes or 'flakes out' then his age won't matter, will it?"

"Mom? If I can one day be half as smart as you are," her daughter said.

Her mom laughed then quipped, "Oh, you're definitely half as smart as me, honey."

Blake gave her mom a look of feigned indignance then started laughing.

Her mom laughed, too, then asked, "So just how old is he?"

Blake immediately stopped laughing and said, "Can I tell you tomorrow?"

"You don't have to tell me then, either. But I think you'll feel better if you share this deep, dark secret with someone else," her mother said with a polite laugh.

Blake shook her head, looked down at the floor then said, "He's...not quite...23, Mom."

"Oh."

The one-word reply caused Blake more concern than anything she'd felt trying to work through this.

"Oh. That's all you can say is 'oh'?" she asked, almost pleadingly.

"Yes," her mom said with a smile. "Because I already said everything I needed to say. Now the rest is up to you."

That night, while she lay in bed, Blake knew her mother had neither given her unconditional support nor had she criticized her. She'd given her sound advice, and because she couldn't live her daughter's life for her, that was all she could do. The rest really was up to her, and that meant she had to decide how she really felt.

By the time she headed home to Jacksonville, Blake thought her mom had it about right. She liked Gray—a lot. In fact, she'd thought about him nearly every waking moment since he said goodbye. And if her mom was right, and if Gray was the same caring person day in and day out over time, was his age really that important?

By the time she arrived home, she realized her biggest fear was what others might think. But were she gay or say...dating a man of a different race...people would also 'think things'. And the bigger question then became 'why should I care'.

By the time she got home, Blake knew the answer to that question was 'I shouldn't'. All that really mattered was how she felt about him, and as soon as the car was unloaded she texted him.

"Gray. Hi, and I'm so sorry for not staying in touch, but I needed time. And I think the time I took was well spent. I see things a lot more clearly now, and if you're still interested, I'd like to really get to know you."

She hesitated then signed it, "Love, Blake."

Then she smiled and added, "PS. I've missed you like crazy."

She no sooner set the phone down when Gray replied.

"I've missed you, too. And if time away was what you needed, then it was worth not being able to see you. But after what you said, I'd like nothing more than to get to know you better, too."

He also signed his text, "Love, Gray."

Blake had tears in her eyes as she typed her reply.

"If you can stand a houseful of girls again, we'd love to see you this evening. Anytime is fine."

"Can I help you make dinner?" Gray asked.

"Yes. I'd like that. Very much."

"See you at 4?"

"Yes. See you then, Gray."

Her heart raced as she added 'XOXOXO' before sending it. She got an entire page 'XOs' back and began to cry as she realized she might just love this handsome, younger man. And after an evening of nearly constant laughter and fun, she felt pretty sure she did.

She left open the possibility Gray might one day reveal something she couldn't bear, but as the days and weeks went by, that seemed more and more unlikely. Her fears evaporated completely after they finally had the chance to spend an evening (and a night) together in which they made love for the first time.

And as Blake lay in his arms after being loved the way she so desperately needed, Gray whispered, "Blake? I think I'm in love with you."

She looked up at him then sat up and said, "I'm in love with you, too," before they made love again.

From that moment on, Blake was 'all in', and it would take something so out of the realm of reality to change her mind, she forgot about this 'thing' that might one day change her mind.

Her last remaining 'fears' were down to meeting his mom and siblings as well as introducing him to her parents. But when his mother told her all she'd ever wanted for her children was for them to be hard-working, caring people with someone to love, that fear melted away, too.

And although her father wasn't thrilled with the idea of his daughter marrying such a young man, all of Gray's positive attributes begrudgingly won him over. Her mom loved the handsome, thoughtful young man, from the moment she met him and told him so before he left.

In March, Blake asked Gray to move in with her. She knew all three of her girls loved him dearly, and it was plainly obvious he loved them, too.

With the exception of the car he drove and the electronic gadgets he had, Gray had been saving money since he graduated from high school. So after moving in, he gladly picked up the financial load that came with inheriting a family of four, and Blake was beyond grateful to be able to continue staying home with her...their...girls. And it was just in time as her bank account was on fumes, but money was the last thing on her mind.

Just before school started, Gray asked Blake to marry him one Sunday evening when they were all together at home. He'd brought the girls in on it, and when Gray got on one knee, Jenna moved in front of him and opened a little box.

Hailee and Emily each rehearsed their lines, and between them and their dad-to-be, they asked their mom to marry him. Blake had cried many times since the death of her husband, but she'd never cried so many tears of joy as she did watching and listening to the four people she loved most of all.

Gray placed the ring on his fiancé's finger, then helped her stand up and kissed her in front of the girls who all giggled then clapped before being pulled into a big family circle for a big, long hug.

Their wedding was small and held in their home with family and a few close friends joining them. They didn't need a big ceremony. All they needed was each other and the love they'd promised to give 'for better or for worse' for as long as they both should live.

Gray formally adopted all three girls just months after their marriage, but it took him five more years before he ended up running the Orange Park store.

That increase in pay let them start saving for the girls to go to college, and by the time they took Emily to the University of Florida in Gainesville, with a stop at The Villages on the way, Gray had become a District Manager responsible for a half dozen stores.

While they never had a child of their own, Gray made it more than clear he didn't need someone with his DNA to be loved or feel like a father. He'd already experienced more love with the three girls he'd inherited and the beautiful wife he'd married than most dads know in a lifetime.

And where fathers were concerned, Gray insisted they celebrate their father's birthday each year, and that they also pay their respects by visiting his gravesite as a family on the date of his passing. And no one loved him more for doing that than his beautiful wife, Blake Nicholson.

The old Samsung TV finally 'gave up the ghost', and the one they replaced it with didn't need a One Connect cable. But Gray had the old cable framed and it hung over the mantle place as a reminder of the day Blake walked into Best Buy all those years ago.

All she'd hoped for was to get her television working again, but what she found was the kind of love that made life complete with a man so young she nearly dismissed the idea before love had a chance to grow.

So whenever she looked up at the One Connect on the wall she smiled and thought about the handsome young man from Best Buy who'd come to her house and hooked her up...for life.