Best Laid Plans

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"To a sabbatical," Rachel raised her glass. "A well deserved vacation." She looked at Lenore and the women shared a smile. Ed knew it was no sabbatical, it was a soft retirement. He wondered how Lenore had gotten Archie to think it was his own idea, she was always good at getting the old man to make decisions. Ed would have to question Rachel about how long she had known about this sabbatical idea.

"I'll need a new partner," Ed said to no one in particular. "Maybe one who can spin this detective agency off into a new direction. It seems like a lot of the people coming to us for detective work also need some sound legal advise once we've wrecked their marriage." He looked at Rachel and saw that she was smiling back at him. "Do you have anyone in your class you could recommend, hon? Maybe someone who knows how to handle themselves when things get a little...rough?"

For just a moment the smile slid from her face, Rachel disliked his clever references to either her bondage skills or a reminder of that tragic morning in the warehouse.

"I was hoping you would ask me without needing to be prompted," Rachel said. "Of course I accept. Someone has to keep you out of trouble. At least you didn't propose, I have a handful of future lawyers eating out of my hand at school."

Archie let out a guffaw and slapped his hand on the desk, "I'm glad I'm leaving someone responsible in charge. I recommend installing a punch-clock. Ed has trouble showing up before nine most mornings." Archie's face was very red and he was struggling to loosen his tie and top shirt button. "I know I don't need to worry, Lenore tells me you're a strict disciplinarian."

Archie stood and walked around the desk to collect his jacket from the coat hook. Lenore stood and took his offered elbow. They wished the young couple good evening and left for an early dinner, Ed figured Archie needed some food in him at any rate. As the door shut behind the older couple, Archie heard the lock click shut.

Rachel was arranging the wine flutes on the desk top and putting the empty bottle in the trash can next to the desk. The evening sun was streaming through the office windows, giving everything a golden glow. The noise of traffic and street vendors filtered in through the open windows and Ed wished they were back at the Belvedere.

"Let's get going," Ed said. "We can grab some dinner on our way back to your place." He slipped the check into a drawer in Lenore's desk on his way out, walking around with a check like that seemed irresponsible. Ed caught Rachel as she walked past to get to the door and set her up on the desk. The couple traded a long kiss as Ed worked his hands over the back of her light, summer dress making a mental note of where the zipper was for when they got home. Eventually the kiss turned into a long hug, Rachel ran her hands through the shaved hair on the back of Ed's neck while she rested her head on his shoulder.

"Would you propose to me, Edwin?," she only used his full first name when she was being serious. "I'm not just some fling? You always make a joke about my work, does it bother you so much?"

"I would propose to you, Rachel," Ed replied. "The only thing that keeps me from doing it is that I don't think you'll say 'yes'. I can wait. We have all the time in the world. I'm following the advise someone once gave me of trying to enjoy what I have now."

Rachel pulled him in for another long kiss. Ed wasn't kidding, he would wait for her. For right now, he was willing to keep all future plans strictly limited to the next year or two. Ed ended the kiss and set Rachel back down on the floor just as a knock at the door startled them both.

Ed unlocked the door and pulled it open. A woman stood in the doorway, large red hat and bright yellow sundress above red heels, makeup and tears running down her face. "Your brother, Manfred," she managed to stutter out before she collapsed into Ed's arms. Ed and Rachel maneuvered her to a chair in the reception area to recover. What Ed had taken for a tissue in her hand turned out to be a note. Messy handwriting read, "Ed, get to Saints Phillip and James Church by 6. - M." Ed checked his watch, he only had twenty minutes to get to Charles Village. Without a word, Ed rushed out of the office.

To be continued...

1...345678