Better Grades through Hypnosis Ch. 01

Story Info
Smart, privileged student's mind unraveled by hypno-therapy.
5k words
3.73
16.5k
19

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 12/28/2023
Created 12/25/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Session 1

The door to Dr. Crane's office swung open and in strode Alexis, looking about as pleased to be there as a debutante forced to slum it at a dive bar. She held herself tall, back ramrod straight, making the most of her 5' 9" frame as she clicked across the room in her designer ankle boots. Everything about her screamed privilege, from the flawless golden waves cascading down her back to her casual yet chic attire that likely cost a pretty penny.

Dr. Crane regarded the young woman over his glasses as she sat across from him, sensing the annoyance simmering beneath her polished exterior. Her piercing blue eyes skimmed the room briefly before settling on him with a challenge in their depths, as if daring him to find fault with someone of her caliber.

"So..." She drew out the word before continuing briskly, "My parents seem to think one lousy B is cause for therapy. But frankly, I think they're overreacting."

Alexis flicked an invisible speck of dust from her sleeve, projecting an air of nonchalance. But Crane detected a slight defensiveness in her tone. Interesting. Perhaps that seemingly impenetrable confidence had some cracks after all.

"Getting straight As is standard," she continued airily. "I just had a lot on my plate last semester. RA duties, 18 credits, internship applications...of course my performance slipped a bit."

Alexis leaned back and crossed her arms, staring Crane down as if challenging him to contradict her. He merely nodded thoughtfully, steepling his fingers. "That does sound like an intense workload, especially to maintain flawlessly. A small blip seems perfectly reasonable given those demands."

Alexis's shoulders relaxed slightly at his validation. "Exactly. I knew you'd understand, Dr. Crane." The words flowed from her lips with smug satisfaction. "This whole therapy thing is my parents being dramatic as usual. I'm fine."

"Of course. Although..." Crane trailed off, watching her eyes narrow warily. "It never hurts to incorporate practices for managing stress, even for someone as capable as yourself. Think of it as mental fine-tuning."

Alexis pursed her lips, clearly torn between maintaining her veneer of perfection and admitting potential weakness. But Crane had phrased it in a way that appealed to her vanity. After a moment, she gave a terse nod. "Fine, I can humor you with a session or two if it makes everyone feel better."

Crane hid a satisfied smile. The hook was set. Now to carefully reel her in. "I appreciate your openness, Alexis. I think you'll find these practices quite useful."

He removed his glasses, meeting her gaze earnestly. "In particular, I'd like to guide you through some visualization techniques while under hypnosis. Communicating with the subconscious can be incredibly beneficial for centering oneself."

At the mention of hypnosis, Alexis scoffed, though her eyes held a glint of curiosity. "You're going to hypnotize me? No offense, but isn't that a bit played out?"

Crane chuckled disarmingly. "Not at all. It's an exceptionally effective way of tapping into our mental faculties. I use it frequently with patients to facilitate discussion of buried thoughts. It's quite safe, I assure you."

Alexis still looked skeptical, but Crane could tell her interest was piqued. He pressed the advantage. "Why don't I walk you through a brief session so you can experience the benefits yourself?"

When she didn't immediately refuse, Crane removed a pocket watch from his desk drawer. The bright sapphire set in its face caught the light enticingly as he allowed it to swing slowly before her. Alexis's gaze followed the pendulum motion despite herself.

"Just keep your eyes on the gemstone. Take deep, relaxing breaths..." Crane kept his tone low and soothing as Alexis sank deeper into a hypnotized state. Soon her breathing slowed and posture relaxed, though Crane maintained light chatter to ensure she stayed fully under.

Now came the delicate work of loosening her subconscious defenses just enough to plant seeds of doubt.

"You're safe and comfortable here," he intoned. "I'd like us to discuss your experience last semester. Can you describe where you feel things started going wrong?"

Alexis frowned slightly. "The B in Calculus..." she responded slowly. "I studied so hard but blanked on the final. Felt like no matter how much I prepared, my mind just shut down."

Crane made a sympathetic noise. "That must have been very frustrating, to work so diligently only to have your memory fail you." He let the statement sink in before continuing gently.

"And tell me, do you feel achieving a B reflects poorly on your intellect?"

Another frown. "My parents seemed to think so...but I don't know." Uncertainty tinged her entranced voice.

"Perhaps we should examine this logically." Crane kept his tone reasonable. "You're accustomed to earning top grades with moderate effort. Is that fair to say?"

Alexis nodded mutely, entranced.

"So then needing to study extensively for a class, yet still only managing average scores...well that would imply you struggled to comprehend the material, yes?"

"I...suppose so." Alexis sounded troubled, but hypnotically suggestible.

Crane seized the advantage. "And struggles, despite hard work, typically point to limited capability in a subject, do they not?"

When Alexis reluctantly agreed, he moved in for the kill. "Then earning a B in calculus seems indicative of underlying challenges with higher mathematics. Challenges perhaps beyond your abilities, despite admirable efforts to overcome them."

Alexis was silent, but he could see his logic penetrating her subconscious, planting seeds of academic inadequacy she would be unable to ignore once they took root. He spent the remainder of the session reinforcing this new perceived weakness, compelling her to internalize his narrative of her shortcomings.

Finally, as he gently raised her from the trance, Crane left one last subtle command in her malleable psyche: forgetfulness of their hypnotic discussion. He watched as Alexis blinked sluggishly, orienting herself to wakefulness.

"How was that? Relaxing?" Crane asked benignly.

Alexis considered, then nodded. "It was rather soothing actually. Feel like we covered important topics." She furrowed her brow. "Wish I could remember clearly."

Crane waved off her concern. "Perfectly normal. The important insights will remain without distracting specifics." He began casually packing up as if their session was perfectly routine. "I want you to focus on self-care this week, alright? Don't ruminate on what you can't control."

Alexis agreed seriously, though she still seemed troubled. As she gathered her designer handbag and shrugged on her sleek denim jacket, Crane observed the first hairline cracks forming in her supreme confidence. She would leave wrestling with newfound self-doubts and frustrations, never realizing their true origin.

He bid her a pleasant farewell, hiding his swelling satisfaction as she departed. The seeds were planted. Her conscious mind would tend and water them without even meaning to in the weeks to come.

Soon enough, the fruits of his clever manipulations would bloom into a crushing blow to her intellect and self-worth. Crane could wait patiently for that delicious moment. For now, it was enough to watch her walk away, his hooks already buried deep in her psyche. She would never see it coming.

What a delicious challenge breaking this proud girl would be. He looked forward to showing her just how fragile her confidence truly was.

Session 2

The door to Dr. Crane's office creaked open and in stumbled Alexis, looking utterly defeated. Gone was the polished young woman who had clicked in so confidently weeks prior. In her place was a disheveled, hollow-eyed shell clutching a massive Calculus II textbook to her chest like a life preserver.

Dr. Crane regarded her over his glasses, taking in the oversized sweater hanging off one shoulder and the leggings with frays along the seams. Her once radiant hair was pulled back in a messy knot, and the dark smudges under her eyes spoke of one too many sleepless nights parsing derivatives and integrals.

As Alexis sank into the plush leather chair across from Crane, the book tumbled from her limp grasp onto his desk with a weary thud. She dropped her head into shaking hands with a groan that seemed to echo up from the depths of her soul.

"I don't understand what's happening..." Her voice was raspy with frustration as she lifted her gaze to meet Crane's. "No matter how much I study, Calculus just isn't making sense. It's like trying to read Greek!"

She slumped back, every line of her body broadcasting exhaustion in the face of defeat. This was a young woman at the end of her rope. Crane softened his features into a mask of concern and leaned forward.

"I know this is difficult, Alexis. But you clearly have an excellent work ethic to devote so much time to mastering challenging material." He imbued his voice with warmth and reassurance.

Alexis just shook her head bitterly. "Doesn't matter how hard I work if I can't actually understand the concepts. The TA has tried explaining derivatives a dozen ways, but it's like the logic just won't stick."

She dropped her gaze to her lap, voice small. "I don't know what's wrong with me. Math used to be so intuitive, but now struggling just makes me feel stupid and useless."

Crane made a sympathetic noise, seeing his opening. "Now Alexis, difficulty grasping advanced theoretical frameworks is not a reflection of one's overall intellect or capability."

Alexis lifted her head slightly, a flicker of fragile hope crossing her face. Crane doubled down.

"In fact, recognizing the gaps in our own knowledge is a strength. Awareness provides an opportunity for growth." He offered an encouraging smile. "Shall we discuss this further under hypnosis? I believe unlocking your subconscious thoughts around these struggles could be quite beneficial."

Alexis chewed her lip uncertainly before giving a small nod. "Yeah...yeah let's try it. I'm desperate for anything that might help."

Crane hid his satisfaction as he retrieved the ornate pocket watch from his desk. Alexis's eyes followed the bright silver pendulum, still powerless to resist its hypnotic sway.

Soon Crane had eased her into a suggestible trance state. "Now Alexis, describe how you've been feeling during your Calculus studies," he coaxed.

Alexis grimaced, entranced. "It's miserable. The equations swim before my eyes no matter how much I pour over them. I feel so stupid struggling with concepts the TA says are basic."

Crane clucked his tongue sympathetically. "Yes, failure despite great effort implies a lack of innate aptitude. A mind less mathematically inclined, as it were."

He pressed on as Alexis squirmed under the harsh assessment. "And a weaker mind feels frustration when faced with intellectual challenges beyond its capabilities, does it not?"

"I...suppose so," Alexis conceded reluctantly.

"Of course. It's only natural to avoid discomfort and uncertainty. Why torture oneself struggling with material too complex to comprehend?" Crane paused to let his wisdom sink in before continuing gently.

"Perhaps it would be wise to accept that higher calculus is simply beyond your mental facilities. Does that resonate as truth?"

Alexis was quiet for a long moment before finally whispering, "Yes, I'm just...not smart enough for it." The defeat in her voice pierced even Crane. What a delicious crack this was forming in her psyche.

He spent the remainder of the session reinforcing Alexis's perceived intellectual shortcomings regarding calculus, ensuring she internalized it as her own revelation rather than his careful manipulation. Soon her subconscious readily accepted his narrative of her innate limitations.

As he raised her from the trance, Crane left one last subtle command echoing through her hazy mind: their discussion would remain her secret, the details lost upon waking.

Alexis stirred slowly, blinking away the foggy remnants of hypnosis. When she lifted her gaze to Crane, he was struck by the fragility lurking in those blue depths beneath her uncertain smile.

"How are you feeling?" he inquired gently. "Any clarity around your struggles?"

Alexis considered, then nodded. "I do feel strangely at peace. And lighter somehow." She furrowed her brow. "Still wish I could remember our talk though."

Crane waved off her concern indulgently. "Perfectly normal. The subconscious has its own ways of absorbing what you need without conscious recall." He tidied up, movements brisk. "I want you to spend time destressing this week rather than forcing useless studying. Be kind to yourself."

Alexis agreed seriously as she gathered her belongings. But Crane detected a new hint of despair lurking beneath her polite assurance. His words had left irreparable cracks in the foundation of her identity. Soon they would splinter into fissures too broad for her patch.

Crane maintained his avuncular facade as they exchanged goodbyes. Alone again in his office, he allowed himself a small, satisfied smile. The seeds of Alexis's academic downfall were germinating now in the fertile soil of her psyche. He need only remain patient and nurture their steady growth.

Soon enough, her superior air would come crashing down for good. Crane's pulse quickened at the thought. He did so love watching the lofty tumble. The higher they built themselves up, the more exquisitely they shattered upon the merciless ground.

Session 3

Alexis shuffled into Dr. Crane's office looking utterly defeated, the clicking of her designer heels now a distant memory. Her shoulders slumped forward, posture radiating despair underneath her oversized sweater. As she sank into the familiar leather chair, head down, she pulled a crumpled sheet of paper from her bag.

"I failed," she whispered hoarsely, sliding the paper across the desk without looking up.

Crane regarded the angry red 32% circled atop the Calculus II exam dispassionately. "Well now, let's not assume the worst from one poor mark," he replied gently.

Alexis finally lifted her gaze, revealing eyes swollen and bloodshot from countless tears. "Poor mark? I absolutely bombed it. No matter how much I study, the material is just gibberish."

She slumped back, hugging herself tightly. "I don't know what's wrong with me. I used to devour complex concepts for fun. Now just opening a math book makes me nauseous with anxiety."

Alexis blinked back fresh tears, looking small and lost. "I must be allergic to my own textbook at this point. The stress has my hair falling out in clumps." She laughed bitterly, gesturing to her limp ponytail.

Crane made soothing noises, projecting compassion. "This frustration is merely a sign your conscious mind resists truths the subconscious already embraces. Why don't we allow it to unburden itself under hypnosis?"

Alexis glanced up, a fragile hope dawning in her bloodshot eyes. "You really think we can figure out why I'm suddenly so hopeless at calculus?" At Crane's reassuring nod, her lips trembled in relief. "Yes, please, I'm desperate."

Crane hid his satisfied smirk as he retrieved the pendulum. Soon Alexis was entranced, breathing slow and steady. Time to administer this broken girl's coup de grâce.

"Now Alexis, describe how viewing calculus material makes you feel lately." Crane kept his tone gentle, coaxing.

Alexis's entranced face contorted with remembered anguish. "It makes me feel so stupid," she confessed miserably. "Like there's this mental block and I'm too dumb to get around it."

"And surely consistently poor performance indicates you lack the intellect for such concepts, correct?" Crane pressed delicately.

Alexis flinched but nodded. "I guess I'm just too dumb for calculus," she admitted, voice small. "Every time I even think about it, I just feel dumber and dumber."

"Very good, you're being honest with yourself." Crane's praise elicited the ghost of a smile before he continued lightly. "Now, calculus falls under the broader mathematics category, yes? So trouble with calculus implies issues comprehending mathematics overall."

Alexis was quiet before repeating slowly, "I'm too dumb to understand any math." The defeat in her voice sent a spike of delight through Crane. She was unraveling beautifully now, all his.

He spent the remainder of the session guiding Alexis to denigrate herself as stupid and incapable whenever mathematics arose. Her subconscious readily absorbed the narrative, transferring her academic struggles into internal flaws beyond her control.

"You received a B last semester, correct?" Crane eventually asked conversationally. "Tell me, does a dumb girl deserve such high marks?"

Alexis grimaced, wavering. "No," she finally admitted. "Maybe it was a fluke or the professor took pity on me." Her face crumpled. "I didn't really earn it."

Crane nodded approvingly. "Perhaps dwelling on your past undeserved success would motivate you to properly apply yourself now."

He proceeded to plant seeds questioning her competency in her other classes. Soon he had her confessing she would likely flounder at anything related to numbers, now that she realized her inherent intellectual limitations.

By the time Crane gently lifted the hypnotic trance, Alexis had thoroughly absorbed his narrative of her ineptitude. He watched closely as she roused, seeking cracks in her facade. But her eyes held only weary resignation when they finally met his.

"Did our discussion provide any insight?" Crane asked kindly, keeping up the charade.

Alexis considered a moment, then slumped. "I think I understand now why math makes me feel so stupid and useless," she said quietly. "I'm just not smart enough for it." Her laugh held a bitter edge. "Not sure why I ever thought I could be."

Crane clucked reassuringly as he began packing up. "Awareness is the first step. Don't lose heart. With time, we can build a scholastic approach better suited to your capabilities."

Alexis nodded mutely, gathering her belongings with leaden limbs. But Crane glimpsed the deadened acceptance lurking beneath her forced smile as they exchanged farewells. His hooks had carved out her very identity and left nothing but a bleak hollowness in its wake.

Alone again, Crane swelled with satisfaction. The glimmer of defiant intellect that once shone in Alexis's eyes was beautifully extinguished now. She would never be so naïvely confident in her own mind again, not after he had effortlessly unraveled it thread by fragile thread.

Soon enough she would recognize her only path forward was complete surrender to his visions for her. But for now, Crane luxuriated in her silent implosion, savoring each exquisite crack spreading inexorably across the masterpiece of his own design.

Session 4

Alexis shuffled into Dr. Crane's office, looking utterly defeated. Her oversized university hoodie hung limply on her thinning frame, paired with mismatched gym shorts that exposed legs peppered with bruises from restless nights. Stray hairs poked out around the hasty ponytail attempting to tame her once radiant blonde locks. The dark smudges under her eyes spoke of countless nights spent wrestling unseen demons rather than resting.

She perched anxiously on the edge of the familiar leather chair, knees bouncing with nervous energy. When she finally lifted her eyes to meet Crane's steady gaze, he was struck by the stark vulnerability openly on display. Alexis no longer bothered hiding her erosion; it was etched into every exhausted line of her body.

"I'm unraveling," she confessed bluntly, voice quavering. "I've stopped studying calculus outside our sessions. Just looking at the textbook makes my mind shut down in panic." Alexis raked a shaking hand through her disheveled ponytail.

12