Between the Bars Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His body tensed. I stroked his back and he tipped his forehead into my arm.

"We were always so busy. Always working late, always giving everything to the force. Ray was involved in a shelter for runaways and he gave so much of his time helping those kids. Never wanted thanks, just did it because someone had to. We always meant to take a vacation and get away, spend some time just the two of us, but we kept putting it off, thinking we had plenty of time next year. But then our time ran out."

I felt him swallow hard and I rolled to my side and drew him closer, resting my chin on top of his head.

"I was a pallbearer at the funeral. I didn't have to, but I wanted to. I couldn't just watch while they put him in a hole in the ground."

"Daniel..." I whispered his name so lovingly. I'd do anything to take his pain away but I couldn't, nothing could. I could only hold him tight.

"I stood there watching while everyone gave their condolences to his mother. They presented the flag to her and she received all his honors. Once he'd come out as gay, she barely spoke a word to him... she didn't even look at me the whole time. Our friends on the force who knew about us couldn't even acknowledge me publicly. It just felt so hollow, a sham. The next day I was back at work, going through the motions, but I wasn't even sure I wanted to keep going. My friends watched me and kept me from taking stupid risks, but for awhile I didn't care if I lived or died."

I cringed. "Ray wouldn't have wanted that," I told him softly.

"I know. That's the only thing that stopped me from giving up. He would've wanted me to keep going and so I did. Joining IAD to get Adkins made me focus on something other than coming home to an empty house. I started doing normal things again, going out to bars, hanging out with friends, fucking, but I just felt so tired inside..."

"Empty."

"Right. Exactly."

"And what about now?" I whispered. I knew I shouldn't pressure him but I just wanted some inkling that he had feelings for me. Something more than just casual, more than just a fuck, even if it was selfish. I felt it, yeah, but I just wanted to hear it.

"Now? I just want to get through this... to finish the job, and to keep you from getting hurt. Although, if you'd just listen to me, it would make that part a hell of a lot easier."

Despite the bitchy note that crept into his voice, I hugged him and smiled as I relaxed into sleep. It wasn't exactly the declaration I wanted, but it proved he cared. He wasn't going to deliberately get himself killed because he suddenly had something to live for. Even if he couldn't say it aloud, it was something. For right now, it was enough.

****

Author's note: Without the help of the late Colleen Thomas this story could not have been written. Colly, I will never forget your knowledge and your kindness. I miss you.