Beyond Earth - The Harvest Ch. 01

Story Info
1,000 harvest permits have been issued for Theoin-5c.
6.3k words
4.1
5.2k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Amerilys
Amerilys
13 Followers

Eryx

For the first time in fifty Sols, Theoin-5c was once again under harvest decree. Legendary Harvesters from across the Federation flocked to the planet, fueled by the tantalizing prospect of obtaining one of the 1,000 permits issued by the Citadel to the highest bidders. The hunt had begun, and the reason the Theoin-5 star system had been safeguarded by the United Interstellar Species Alliance and Protected Star Systems (UISA) was about to become apparent.

Prince Eryx drummed his slender fingers on the panel before raking them through his wavy copper hair. His azure eyes roved over the numerous monitors before him. Instead of diving headlong into the fray, Eryx had instructed his crew to hold back and study the situation. As he observed unskilled Harvesters fumbling their assignments, his straight nose wrinkled in disdain.

Within a few segments, 528 permits had been squandered. Despite being the apex predator and the sole native sentient species on their planet, Theoins--or "Humans" as they called themselves--were surprisingly weak and unranked on the Batarin Scale of extraterrestrial life.

One particularly egregious incident involved King Yulnik of Hultra, who wasted not only his permit but also tarnished his reputation. His team's reckless actions had led to the death of an innocent Theoin bystander along with their target. Harvests were meant to be conducted discreetly, so that the remaining Theoins would remain oblivious to the disappearances. King Yulnik's blatant disregard for the rules was a disgrace, stripping him of his glory and burdening him with a hefty fine. Theoins, as an endangered species, had dwindling numbers, with the vast majority classified as lower than the rest.

The most sought after prizes were the highest-ranked sub-categories of Theoins: not the leaders, but the intelligent workers, soldiers, and the most exotic specimens. Males and females alike were equally prized for their unique shapes, sizes, colors, dialects, and cultures.

Prince Eryx's gaze followed King Yulnik as he commanded his men to pursue a third female. Even if they succeeded in capturing her, the UISA would euthanize her. From his cruiser, Eryx observed countless Harvest attempts unfold across Theoin-5c. Many captives were maimed during the process, while others perished during transport, either freezing in the cold vacuum of space or suffocating. Though he monitored other Harvests, Eryx's attention kept circling back to King Yulnik's men. The UISA had yet to intervene, reprimand him, or prevent him from chasing the third female.

King Yulnik wasn't the only one enjoying special leniency. Several other Harvesters were being actively shadowed by UISA agents. However, a few notorious Legacy Harvesters were killing for sport, indiscriminately slaughtering far more Theoins than their permits allowed. This reckless behavior continued unchecked, eventually creating a costly mess for the UISA to conceal. The stakes were higher than ever, and the tension was palpable as the Harvest continued unabated.

"Initiate diagnostics on the Organic Ecosystem Replication Device," Eryx murmured, his eyes glued to the monitors. He couldn't help but keep returning to the lone female Theoin eluding capture by King Yulnik's men. Unlike other predators on Theoin-5c, which relied on speed and stealth, Theoins were engineered for endurance—a trait highly valued in the Ililil'il markets. Eryx fine-tuned the radio frequencies, shifting from Theoin transmissions to UISA channels, and stopped on King Yulnik's transmission feed.

"—disgraceful. Your men need to finish this now," Ambassador Zent's unmistakable croak sliced through the transmission. Eryx remained motionless, listening to the Ambassador berate King Yulnik's handling of the situation.

"Our report indicated that there were only supposed to be the two scientists. You're the one that fucked us with faulty information." Yulnik snapped back. Eryx's eyebrows shot up; anyone else would have faced fines and blacklisting for speaking to a council member like that, yet Yulnik seemed to get away with it on a public channel.

"I don't give a fuck what the report said. Finish the job and clean up your fucking mess!" Zent's command was punctuated by a sharp crack as he disconnected from the frequency.

Eryx's impatience mounted as he waited for his drones to relay live footage of Yulnik's hunt. It was highly unusual for the UISA Ambassador to explicitly authorize the slaughter of an additional target without any paperwork or legally binding documents—just a verbal command. Zent must have been livid with Yulnik. Eryx's gaze remained fixed on the monitor as vivid images filled the screen. Wearing rudimentary camouflage, the female Theoin entered a dilapidated structure, with Yulnik's men hot on her heels. She seemed doomed, but Eryx refused to miss a moment of King Yulnik's impending downfall.

Suddenly, one of Yulnik's men dropped. Eryx zoomed in, puzzled by the sight of the men crawling on their bellies. They had the Theoin female cornered in a hut. To his astonishment, she reemerged, wielding a crude impact rifle. What unfolded next left Eryx in utter disbelief: the lone Theoin female annihilated Yulnik's team. These were elite Filnar warriors—bio-enhanced beings reputed to be unstoppable and capable of surviving extreme environments. Yet, one by one, they fell. A head blown off, a leg obliterated. Within a fraction of a segment, all five were down.

The lone female Theoin, exhilarated by the defeat of the five Filnar, proceeded to incinerate their bodies, intensifying Yulnik's humiliation. The open channels erupted with a cacophony of jeers, mockery, and relentless banter. Moments later, Yulnik's ship slunk away, leaving UISA agents to grapple with the chaotic aftermath.

Yulnik's disastrous efforts served as a textbook example of what not to do, and he would be prohibited from participating in any future Harvest bids. The UISA established straightforward guidelines:

Targets must not be leaders or high-ranking Theoins. Thorough research is essential.

Targets can be taken dead or alive but must not remain on Theoin-5c.

Theoins must be kept oblivious to their status in the UISA and its existence.

Theoin-5c-1 and Theoin-5d are off-limits as bases of operation, as Theoins monitor them.

All ships must remain cloaked upon entering Theoin-5 space.

Theoin-5c and Theoin-5d communications must remain undisturbed, including intersolar satellites.

These rules were far from unreasonable. In comparison, the permits issued for Sentris-1 had been ludicrous, bordering on unattainable. Only one permit holder managed to obtain a Sentrala before it exploded in a decompression chamber. Regardless, the UISA achieved their fundraising goals, and the latest round of Harvest permits for Theoin-5c provided an opportunity to generate even more revenue.

Prince Eryx observed the rogue female as she hijacked a terrestrial vehicle, making her escape. The UISA's response lagged, prompting him to seize the receiver and demand a call with Ambassador Zent.

On a secure channel, Eryx and Zent exchanged terse introductions before Eryx plunged into the matter at hand. "You've got a crisis brewing, Ambassador."

Zent chuckled, unfazed. "I'm always in the middle of a crisis, Prince Eryx." The screen flickered, distorting the image of the Hydrosilf. His enormous eyes seemed more focused on his other monitors than on the prince. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I have a team poised and ready for my orders. We can retrieve Yulnik's remaining female and eliminate the evidence he's left for you to clean up," Eryx proposed, framing it as a favor to Zent.

Zent grinned, resting heavily on his webbed fingers. "Very well." Eryx's mouth gaped open as he caught Stablik's horrified expression. Stablik had prepped the Organic Ecosystem Replication Device (OERD) to accommodate a single Theoin, not two. A sense of unease washed over Eryx. Ambassador Zent's swift acceptance of the offer felt off. Such incidents were commonplace, yet the UISA suddenly seemed ill-equipped to deal with rogue Harvesters. This likely hinted at something else unfolding, unbeknownst to the prince. Nevertheless, he resolved to proceed with caution.

"Everything will be by the book. I've provided my services to the UISA before. Allow me to take immediate action and deploy a team—"

"No." The ambassador lifted his slimy hand. "I cannot authorize an emergency permit for a team. You must handle this personally. There's no time for you to request a harvest permit. I'll manage the paperwork if you get down there right now." Zent's tone was biting, his eyes bulging from their sockets, revealing the whites. A telltale sign of a Hydrosilf under stress. Testing Zent's patience was unwise, but Eryx needed to clarify one point.

"I'll capture her alive for study," Eryx stated. A mischievous smirk twisted the corner of Zent's snout.

"I couldn't care less what you do with her, Prince Eryx. Just do it now." Zent disconnected, leaving the prince momentarily stunned. Eryx remained motionless, despite the mounting disquiet gnawing at his gut. Theoin-5c's atmosphere was lethal to Rinovans, meaning Eryx would risk exposure to oxygen to secure a mate for his male Theoin—a subject he had scant intel on. This wasn't the plan he and his team had agreed upon. Everything needed recalibration, including more stringent food production management.

"Your life is at stake," Stablik warned, his gaze intense. Eryx avoided the young Rinovan's eyes as he mustered the courage to rise from his seat. Swiftly, he began shedding his uniform while stepping into the elevator. Stablik trailed behind, hastily tapping on his tablet to activate the Oxidation Intervention Unit (OIU). As soon as he initiated the recalibration of the OERD, Stablik's focus shifted to the prince. "Let me take your place."

Eryx scrutinized the worry etched on Stablik's face. If anyone understood the perils of Theoin-5c, it was Stablik. As a former UISA agent and the leading researcher stationed there, his penetrating gaze seemed to pierce Eryx's fear. Stablik didn't believe the prince could return unscathed—hence his preparation of the OIU.

Discarding his uniform jacket and undershirt, Eryx revealed his bare chest. Stablik's eyes lingered for a moment before turning towards the door. The elevator's hum started to subside.

"I'll be fine because you'll guide me through it," Eryx finally declared, shattering the mounting tension. Stablik clutched his tablet to his chest, withholding the torrent of thoughts he dared not voice. Eryx kicked off his shoes and leaned against the wall. "Do you ever miss it?"

"Rinovas?" Stablik inquired.

"Earth," Eryx whispered. Although not illegal, using the colloquial name for Theoin-5c was taboo, especially for a planet labeled 'infested.' Stablik's gaze remained fixed on the prince's reflection in the gleaming steel door.

"I do."

As the elevator came to a gentle halt, the door slid open. Stablik gathered the prince's abandoned garments and trailed him into the hangar.

"Give me the essentials. Keep it concise. Whatever ensures I come back safely with the female," Eryx instructed.

"Skip the weapon. Pack triple the air supply you anticipate needing. Use the static hover coil for electrostatic discharge. At one-mile altitude, it'll grant you cover and temporarily disable their unshielded electronics. This should disrupt her communication devices and can be used to halt her transportation. Be quick and stay one step ahead," Stablik advised as they entered the dressing room and Eryx started suiting up.

"She massacred five Filnar with an impact rifle. Shouldn't I carry something to protect myself?" Eryx questioned.

"You are the weapon, sir. Your mere presence will be threatening to her. Carrying a weapon only increases the risk of it being used against you," Stablik explained.

"So, you're suggesting I avoid getting shot to prevent getting shot, right?" Eryx quipped.

"Yes."

Eryx slipped into the atmosphere suit, locked his boots and gloves, and sat on a bench. Stablik handed him the helmet, but Eryx hesitated.

"I'm afraid I might disgrace us by harming her," he confessed softly. Crew members bustled in the hangar, finalizing his ship's preparations. Eryx should have been leaving, yet he lingered.

Stablik squeezed the prince's arm reassuringly. "She will be terrified of you, but showing her you don't intend to hurt her will lessen her desire to harm you." Eryx nodded and donned the helmet without another word.

Strapped into the pilot's seat above the open hangar bay, the reality of his mission hit him. Theoin-5c's cities sparkled like starlight below during its night cycle.

"Sir, your vitals are elevated," a crew member reported through his headset. Eryx dismissed their concern; elevated vitals were understandable. Something about the ambassador's eagerness bothered him. The chatter from the crew faded as he calculated his ship's trajectory on the heads-up display. Course plotted, he activated the static hover coil and started charging.

"Release the locks." Eryx braced himself. An instant later, his light ship shot from his star cruiser's belly. Orbiting Theoin-5c were numerous starships and cruisers, their locations displayed on the holoview. Theoin-5c was the most daunting planet he'd ever visited.

The breathtaking oceans were alluring, but the corrosive atmosphere was a significant threat. His communicator buzzed with a private transmission. Expecting Zent's fury, Eryx was surprised to hear a gentle, familiar voice.

"Her name is Katherine."

Eryx replayed Stablik's message thrice before his ship trembled on entry. The hover coil whined, nearing capacity.

"Katherine," he whispered, repeating the unusual name until the coil's whine overpowered his voice. Static crackled around the ship's exterior. Eryx switched to manual control and flipped up the discharge switch's protective shielding. As the altimeter displayed one mile above the target, he flipped the switch.

"Your —, we have —roblem. The — is ov—heating," the ensign's garbled words crackled through Eryx's headset.

Discarding the charred Filnar corpse into the lower cargo, Eryx surveyed the blackened clearing. "Repeat that, Ensign. I didn't catch all of it." A fierce static discharge ripped through the forest off in the distance. Rain was hammering down from the storm clouds that had been summoned from the arrival of his ship.

"Sir, the eng—ne is overhea-ting —ering with tr-ansmi-i-ssion," the ensign's distorted voice broke through the sharp cracks and loud pops.

"Understood."

Eryx exited the rear of his ship, glancing at the top where raindrops vaporized before touching the shielding over the static hover coil. With no time to spare, he hurried back inside. The hover coil's drone grew deafening as it wound down. The storm provided ample cover and washed away the remnants of carnage.

Outside, Eryx inspected the organic printer, which had refabricated the wooden Theoin structure heavily damaged by the Filnar, returning it to its original dilapidated state. He packed up the organic printer and sealed the ship's rear door.

In the cockpit, Eryx honed in on the female's location. Her terrestrial vehicle had taken her down the mountain, and she was now speeding towards a densely populated city. He had to intervene before it was too late. The torrential rain cooled the coil rapidly.

Strapped into the pilot seat, Eryx gripped the yoke, his finger hovering over the thruster panel. He replayed his conversation with Ambassador Zent in his mind, recalling the excessive red tape and paperwork from previous UISA interactions. Eryx pulled up the paperwork Stablik had sent to the ambassador.

"Stablik," Eryx's voice crackled over the private channel.

"Yes, sir," Stablik responded promptly.

"Have we received confirmation from Ambassador Zent for the emergency Harvest permit?" The prince inquired, his tone tinged with urgency. The line was silent for a moment and then the document appeared on his screen. The document was written in Valekar, a language that Eryx was not well versed in. It took his translator a moment to visually alter the document. The translation was crude, but the general purpose of the document was clear. The permit was issued to Prince Eryx of Rinovas for the immediate capture of the female Theoin named Pure Worker.

Eryx's face contorted in confusion as he scrutinized the document.

"Sir, I am working on a proper translation of the document. Theoin's frequently use names that hold other meanings. I can confirm that the female Theoin's English name is Katherine Wright. What you're seeing is a literal translation. In the modern language of English, Wright is a name, however it derives from—."

"Yes, send me the translated document when you have it. Thank you, Stablik." Eryx closed the transmission, avoiding a long winded explanation, and studied the document once more. Ambassador Zent was a low born Hydrosilf, it was entirely possible that he didn't know how to write in Thun, the universal language of the UISA. Which meant he wrote the document himself and didn't have time to have it properly translated.

Prince Eryx closed the document and set the static hover coil amperage to begin charging. His ship moved in silence as he cleared the treeline. As the coil ramped up his speed increased. It was only a moment before he had caught up to the Theoin's terrestrial vehicle. The prince kept a generous distance as the coil reached critical. He lowered his finger onto the discharge switch and watched as the vehicle drifted. Rain was coming down in heavy sheets. A red light began flashing on the panel accompanied by a low buzz. The possibility that she might be injured crossed his mind.

Stablik's words echoed in the prince's mind, "She will be terrified of you, but if you can show her that you have no intentions of harming her she will be less likely to inflict harm on you."

He flipped the switch and discharged the coil.

Katherine

Thunder rumbled menacingly overhead. Katherine clutched the box of slugs and dragged them closer to her on the seat. Her truck veered into the oncoming lane while she absentmindedly wiped the dried blood splatter on her cargo pants. The jarring thump of the truck tires hitting the raised pavement markers snapped her back to reality. The speedometer read a staggering 85 miles per hour.

Desperately, she snatched her satellite phone from the seat and tried calling emergency services once more. Katherine had made countless attempts to reach anyone—emergency services, family, friends—but each time, her phone taunted her with an 'out of range' notification, a feat that should have been impossible.

Up until that moment, Katherine believed many things were impossible. Witnessing her colleagues being blown apart right before her eyes was inconceivable. Encountering horrifying, four-armed aliens was unthinkable. Facing five of them at once was utterly preposterous.

Her heart pounding, Katherine glanced in her rearview mirror, silently praying that this entire ordeal was just some nightmarish hallucination. That the gruesome scenes she had witnessed, and the unspeakable acts she had committed, were nothing more than figments of a tormented mind. She longed for the reassurance that none of this was real.

Lightning cracked, its vicious tendrils webbing and arcing mercilessly across the sky. For a fleeting moment, the entire valley was bathed in a harsh, unforgiving light before being swallowed by darkness once more. Katherine's heart raced as the truck shuddered to a halt, its life abruptly extinguished. Stranded at the crest of the last hill, she stared through the windshield at the faint lights of the city shimmering against the oil stains of the road. Desperate, she tried to breathe life back into the truck, but it remained unresponsive—no power, no lights, nothing. She was marooned in the oppressive dark.

Amerilys
Amerilys
13 Followers
12