Bianhua Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, I will officially become the first sub-lease of the land," I said. "Of course, a few of the trees will have to go because I want an unrestricted view of everything below. It gives me complete privacy and a view that, when done, will be stunning."

Just then I got a phone call from site security. There was a father and a daughter on a couple of horses wishing to talk to me about an upcoming dance.

Since we were almost back to the truck I said, "Tell them that I'm about ten minutes away."

The engineer looked at me with a look of puzzlement before saying, "When did you have the time to impress a young lady so much that she comes looking for you?"

"On one of those rare occasions where I got cleaned up," I replied.

He was still laughing when we climbed into my truck to head back to greet them.

We could see them, as we approached, sitting on their horses. Alana had her long brownish streaked hair hanging down. It gave her a look of maturity that I had not seen before.

"That young lady is a very beautiful young woman," The engineer said. "How in the hell did you ever meet her?"

"Caught her riding the area one Sunday when everyone was off," I said. "My all-terrain four-wheel startled her horse and it threw her."

"You must have left quite the impression," He said as we got closer. "She's got a look of anticipation and eagerness on her face that's speaking volumes."

"Good thing I showered, shaved, and changed my underwear this morning," I replied.

The engineer was still laughing as we pulled my truck to a stop and parked it. Alana's blue eyes sparkled as I climbed out. She was wearing blue jeans, a sweater, with a winter Demin jacket that was open. Ian was dressed similarly but wore a cowboy hat.

"Hi folks," I said. "Why didn't you just call me?"

"Mom did not save your phone number," Alana said.

"Do you want to take a tour of the place," I asked? "You can tie up your horses behind the security gate."

At that time, a helicopter flew over heading towards the crater carrying a huge container, it caught all our attention.

"Sweet, the first load of trout is arriving a week early," I said. "That means the conservatory will be able to release the first set of eagles in about a month."

"You are introducing eagles to the area," Ian said. "Why?"

"The garbage we are recycling will naturally attract a lot of rodents. Eagles will help keep their numbers in balance," I stated. "We are stocking the crater lake so that they have an alternate choice for food."

I guess that was all it took because Ian called his wife to let her know what they were doing. After climbing into my truck, we toured the space. I first showed them the section that was already filled in and covered over with topsoil. You could see that we had covered about 12 cubic feet high of garbage.

"Mixed in with the garbage is a bunch of the contaminated water from the holding ponds," I said. "Using the binoculars, you can see the multiple metal pipes sticking out of the ground. Once the rotting has been going on for a while, we will uncap them and light them up."

Alana looked through the binoculars and asked, "What did you plant in the soil?"

"Clover," I said. "Clover will help to purify and enrich the soil. By the time we get back to add another layer to that section the clover will have done its job."

When they saw the concrete plant in the final stages of being built Ian asked about it.

"I'm extending the county road to the far side of the property," I said. "Then around on both sides and running the county water with it. Eventually, it will come around and join up where I met you."

"You're looking long term," Ian said. "I couldn't see what my daughter was telling me. Now I do. When you are done it will be a very desirable section of land."

"We were lucky because the first circle of the huge old strip mine will become the base of the new concrete road," I said. "That will give you a clue as to how long it's going to take to complete the project."

"That explains the need for the huge rock crushing machines, and the stock you are building of different sizes of crushed rock," Ian said.

"Your supply of garbage must be steady," Ian said. "What about the raw material to make topsoil?"

"As you can see, they are still hauling out timber," I said. "I have cleanup crews going in taking whatever is not nailed down plus we have told several of the counties around that we will take any garbage and yard waste for free."

I then drove them over to the base of the mountain where we had discovered the cavern. They could see the marking for the road that we had already installed.

"By the end of the summer if things go as planned that cavern will house my new home," I said. "It will give me an unrestricted view of the whole valley below me."

Alana's eyes lit up when I said. "Right above it at the top of the mountains in three months, there should be a fully functional electric generation plant which will cause a small waterfall to come down just in front of the back front corner of my future home."

"Won't that cause a problem of future water damage," Alana asked?

"No, because it will be the side of the house that has a concrete patio," I said. "The house front will face the huge yard and driveway up to it. That way the windows will always be able to be easily cleaned and get a lot of the daylight sun."

We got out of the truck and walked up the steep path to the cavern. From inside of it we could overlook the whole stripped mine and surrounding area. Both Ian and his daughter were surprised at how deep it was.

"I never knew how big of an undertaking this would be," Ian said. "I was a young boy when it ceased to be an active mine so never realized just how much was taken out."

"We started at the far end and are working towards this end because we wanted time to build the road," I said. "Before we are done, I hope to level the land off right to the old gold mine by using some of the new soil we are creating."

It was as we were climbing back down that the invitation came for me to join them for Sunday dinner. I accepted after asking if there was anything I could bring. It was interesting to see Alana's expression when her father said it.

*******

Finding the Conner's residence was easier than I had thought. The first thing I noticed was the solar panels on their roof. Their home was a spread-out ranch style made up of logs that were well kept. If left the impression that the family had a deep pride in what they owned. It was also clear that this was not a small operation. There was a lot of land for growing straw or hay. Their land backed up against the mountain.

The huge stable barn off to the side, I guessed could hold over fifty horses. Ian had been right: if it wasn't for the sign at the road, I would have driven right by it. The huge double rolls of tall cedar trees camouflaged it well. When I saw the built-in racetrack that was when I knew he was breeding and training horses to race them. The trees along the property line were planted to supply privacy and to keep the noise of the highway down when busy.

Ian was waiting for me at the front door when I stepped out of my truck. I had brought with me a bag holding a bottle of my scotch for him to try and some store-bought flowers for his wife. Being invited for Sunday dinner when growing up with Bruce meant getting dressed up.

I felt like a fool because I was walking towards Ian in dress pants, sports jacket, shirt, and tie. Ian was dressed in blue jeans with a dress shirt.

He laughed and said as I approached, "My daughter and you must have had the same thoughts. She has spent the afternoon trying to decide which dress to wear. The question I have to ask which one of you will be impressed by the other the most."

"I guess I'm old schooled," I said, "and not up to date with the American culture yet."

"It started going down years ago when the churches stopped requiring Sunday best at church services," Ian said.

"Don't people understand that they should present their best to their God regardless of who or what it is," I asked?

"That's a good question," Ian replied. "I never thought about that!"

"I guess it's like all things: the meaning of word change and that affects the teaching of everything," I said. "Like the original meaning of the word Bethel in the Hebrew language meant a home that follows God, yet because of the teaching of English it's become house of god which changes everything."

I handed him the bag and explained what was in it.

"How did you know I liked scotch," Ian asked?

"I didn't," I said. "My godfather's grandfather taught me how to make it. So, in a way you're a Guinee pig because this is about six months old. Hopefully, with the process I have created, it has aged like it was had been sitting in wooden barrows for ten to twenty years."

Seeing Alana in a dress took me by surprise because she looked that good. The dress brought out her assets well. Winter clothing had hidden her figure quite effectively proving my general thoughts about her appearance all wrong.

Taking her to the spring prom was something I was beginning to look forward to. Her mother soon picked up that neither one of us could keep our eyes off each other. Ian found a vase for the flowers I had brought for his wife. Bonnie thanked me for being so thoughtful.

Ian asked how I wanted my scotch. I replied with ice. After handing me my glass he took his first taste.

"Fear ata reidh," Ian said in Gaelic.

"So, I guess it passes the taste test," I said.

Ian laughed and said, "My wife's grandfather would say It is as smooth as a tear on the Goddess's cheek. It has a richness in flavor that I have not tasted in years."

I guess he saw the puzzled look on my face because he asked, "Did I say something that offended you?"

No," I responded. "My Godfather's grandfather uses that phrase all the time, but it says it in Gaelic."

I turned to Bonnie and asked, "If it's not prying may I ask the name of the grandfather that Ian is referring to?"

"Angus McGregor," Bonnie replied. "Why?

"Do you know a Bruce McGregor," I asked?

"I have a first cousin named that who is a priest. He served in China for years," Bonnie replied. "He went back to Scotland when the authorities in China clamped down on those of the Christian faith."

I reached into my back pocket and took out my wallet. Inside was a group of photos. I found the image of Bruce and showed it to her. I knew by the look on her face that it was him.

"You know him how," Bonnie asked?

"To many in China I was the 'que shao yi ge,' because the Chinese authorities could not find me," I explained. "Bruce is my godfather. I lived with him from the age of fifteen until I came back to go to university here."

The tears filled in Bonnie's eyes as she said "ni haon ionadh go mbraitheann tu teaghlack saoil" in Gaelic. Which means no wonder you feel like family.

Ian and I sat at the island bar as Bonnie and Alana worked together. I learned that we were all having a typical Scottish meal of Haggis, neeps, and tatties. Haggis was ground up sheep's liver, lungs, and heart with spices in an artificial casing served with turnips and potatoes.

Like most in the old world, we had learned a long time ago not to waste any part of an animal. The western culture as I was learning about it had a whole different approach to what was editable or not.

Over dinner, I explained about my parents and Bruce's relationship. They knew that my parents had gotten him out of China before they were taken. Bonnie had a lot of questions about family and she got caught up on the ones that I knew. Alana asked a few questions and I answered them as best as I could.

Ian and I got into a long discussion about Angus and his inability to trust authorities. Using my insights, I gave him a better understanding of why one would think that way. By the time dinner was over both Alana and I had their approval to start dating.

I learned that Ian's parents had immigrated to the United States before he was born. He had met his wife while attending school in Edinburgh, Scotland. They had dated two years before getting married. Bonnie had been born and raised in Kildrumary and had been working in the capital when they met.

Ian offered me another Scotch after dinner, and I declined saying that I had decided long ago after seeing a fellow student being killed by a drunk driver, that drinking, and driving was not worth the risk.

The spring prom was scheduled for the first Friday in April. Alana asked me if I can dance. I said traditional yes modern no. She giggled about that.

After saying good night Alana walked me to my truck.

"I knew you were different the first time I saw you," Alana said. "The way that you touched me seemed to bring out a gentleness that showed tenderness and care. Everything I experienced today seems to enhance that fact. Even my parents seemed to be captured by your spell."

"I was raised to respect all life, of any type," I explained. "Any living thing that feels experiences the same emotions as we do. Have you ever heard the soulful song of a robin that has lost its mate? The cry of an eagle that's broken its wing?"

"You're a different kind of man, Dirk Blackstone. I told my mother the day you said goodbye at the hospital, that we would become man and wife," Alana said. "Mom says that I am more Celtic than I realize because I seemed to be born with an old soul. I see that in you."

I went to say something but before I could she planted a wet one on my lips. Before I could say a word, she said, "Good night my future husband," and headed for the house's front door.

********

Part two to follow if the site allows it to be published.