Blame it on the Rain

Story Info
It started so innocently!
15.1k words
4.65
12k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Blame it on the Rain.

It started so innocently as I needed to get out. I mainly worked from home, only needing to go into the office one day a week. Sitting at a desk all day meant I was getting out of shape. So it was that I started to spend some time each day walking my dog, he was a friendly animal who loved me taking him out. After a few weeks I started to feel much better and was able to extend my range, the local country park was within walking distance, so we went there.

The layout allowed some variation to the route I could take so I didn't get bored. I am naturally reserved and had no close friends to walk with. As the weeks went on I lost weight and started to feel good about myself for the first time in ages. As my self-esteem improved, my mood also improved so much so that family and friends all commented, this further boosted my confidence.

It was spring when I met Kate.

Quite by accident I bumped into her, well I didn't actually bump into her, it was the dog's fault. It was a bright day in late spring, I was not wearing a coat for the first time in ages. As I approached a pedestrian gate where my route joined the main path, you know the sort of gate, one of those to stop cyclists from using the footpaths, I was distracted when my Labrador bounded up to a woman with her little dog. In trying to greet the other dog he got tangled between them and the woman was knocked over.

"Oh, I am so sorry." I offered as she roused herself from the daze the fall had caused. I offered my hand to help her up, as I reached for her hand I looked into the bluest eyes I have ever seen. I smiled down at her as I pulled her up "My fault, should have had him on his lead."

"No, no, don't worry about me, I'm fine, I should have been looking, don't scald the dog." She seemed startled and was rambling, I couldn't look away from those eyes. "Please, you mustn't punish him, I'm fine."

"Let me help," I moved around to help brush off the dust and leaves from her jeans. I think we both realised at the same time that I actually had my hand on her behind. I stopped brushing, "Oops, sorry!" I might well have been but didn't move my hand as it now cupped the cheek of her bottom.

Without thinking she tried twisting away from me but somehow got tangled tighter in my arms. As I looked down our faces were only a few inches apart, eyes locked together for a long moment before I moved my hand off her. Stepping back, I muttered an apology, "Oh! Sorry, I didn't mean.... You have dust on your clothes, sorry."

She looked even more embarrassed than I felt. "No, please, don't worry about it," She was a good-looking woman, my age, perhaps a touch older than me, for some reason I wanted more time with her, "I'm Jake by the way, and this is King." I indicated towards my companion as he was making friends with her pet in the intimate way that all dogs do. I took her hand and shook it in greeting.

"Kate, and this is Tasha." She reached down to fuss her dog's ears, I immediately noticed that as she bent forward I had a grandstand view down her blouse. I noticed that she had a decent looking bra on, the sort that covers what it needed to but left plenty of creamy soft skin exposed.

When I managed to drag my eyes away she was straightening up and must have seen where I was looking, she didn't seem to mind and had a trace of a smile as she spoke. "Nice to meet you," then smiling extended her hand and added, "Please don't think I make a habit of falling for strange men!"

Laughing I took the proffered hand in mine and cheekily replied, "Oh, and my pick-up technique is not normally so literal!"

Neither of us seemed to know what to say or want to make the next move, there was a brief quiet moment as I stood holding her hand in mine, a feeling of warmth spread through my whole body. It was all I could do not to pull her to me for a kiss but then I noticed proudly displayed on her left hand was a wedding ring.

We still hadn't moved apart and realising it I decided it was up to me so said, "I'm headed that way," I indicated the direction I was originally going in as I reluctantly released her hand.

"King and Tasha seem to be getting on well." The two dogs had finished their intimate inspection and were running around in circles with Tasha obviously teasing King, who didn't seem to mind. "A bit of company would be nice, do you mind?" We set off, side by side, along the pathway as our dogs bounded around happily together. "If only we could be so carefree." Kate said wistfully, "I mean they've only just met and are already best friends."

"We can be friends," I said hopefully, what it was I still can't explain but I instantly liked Kate, she seemed genuine enough and was, from what I had seen, extremely good looking.

"I'm not sure what my husband would............," she stopped herself then turned her head to smile at me, "it is nice to have some company though, you know, someone to talk to while we walk."

So, we did. While the path was wide enough we walked side-by-side and chatted about the merits of our respective pets, about the weather, and the scenery. The country park had a mix of pathways, lakes, green spaces, and woodland. Some paths were wide and in the open, most wide enough for two or three people to walk beside each, others passed through shrubs and trees and were by necessity quite narrow, when the path narrowed I slowed to allow Kate to walk in front. It was the gentlemanly thing to do, but I must admit that as she took the lead I had a wonderful view of her denim clad backside, I'm sure her hips swung a little more when she took the lead!

I explained that I worked from home mostly so needed to get out for an hour's lunch break, the days I travelled into his office in the city I'd walk King in the evenings. On completing our circuit, rather than branching off on the path where we had met, the one that went close to my house, I stayed by her side to leave the park via the main entrance. It meant a bit of a detour for me, but it was worth it.

"This is me," I indicated the tree lined road that ran parallel to the edge of the park, "perhaps I'll see you again?"

"I'd like that," I was aware that she was smiling as our eyes met, "well, goodbye then."

"It's been lovely to meet you, Goodbye Kate."

~*~*~*~

As I walked home I realised that for the first time in a while I actually felt happy, Jake seemed really nice. We talked effortlessly, he made me smile to start with, then as we walked I realised I was laughing with him. I still loved my husband, that was for certain, we'd been married a long time, he used to make me laugh, and I missed it now.

Thinking back, I'd started walking Tasha to improve my fitness, I'd lost a little weight and was feeling really good about myself again now. I'd begun overhauling my wardrobe, buying more stylish clothes, sexier underwear everything to improve my self-belief. Sure, my children, Sarah and Tom, had noticed the recent changes in me, they'd even complimented me. I knew my husband always found me attractive and sexy; he'd told me enough times. We'd enjoyed a good sex life, he always made me feel wanted and I liked to please him, he'd worked hard to keep our family together and I loved him for it so felt it my duty to reward him.

I didn't mention Jake to anyone at home, now I think about it there was no reason that I shouldn't, it needn't be a secret, we'd just walked together after all. But, anyway, I didn't say anything about my meeting and spending time with the handsome man.

The next day I didn't see Jake, for some reason it seemed to matter to me, more than it should, still I kept looking around for him, but saw no sign. In fact, I didn't meet him again that week. With the weekend being 'family' time, I didn't walk on my own until the following Monday. I felt a surge of pleasure when I heard my name being called shortly after I entered the park.

~*~*~*~

"Hi Kate," I'd called out and she'd stopped to wait for me to catch up, "I'm glad to see you."

"Hello Jake," her smile was a mile wide, "it's lovely to see you too. How have you been?"

That's how we started and repeated our previous encounter. We walked and we talked, the dogs played together just like last time. Our conversation was easy, relaxed, and innocent so why did it excite me so much?

After that second meeting we seemed to bump into each other on a regular basis, we didn't arrange anything but both of us settled into a compatible routine, sometimes I'd be there first, others it would me quickening my pace to catch-up with Kate.

I had a short cut to my house, hence the fact that when I'd originally bumped into her I'd appeared from a different path, when with Kate I never returned that way, choosing to take the long way round just to spend a bit more time with her. On occasion I'd meet her at the end of my road, after a few weeks this became more regular, I'd wait for her there and she'd just step to my side as we led the dogs on their leads.

Still, we walked and talked, enjoying each other's company, and seemed to become firm friends, our conversations were not intimate in any way, we just relished being together. I liked Kate and she seemed to enjoy her time with me, we were doing nothing wrong. It wasn't long before we took to taking a break from walking on some of the many benches available to us, always sitting with a respectable gap between us. Except for that first meeting we'd not touched each other.

~*~*~*~

I looked forward to seeing him, perhaps a bit more than I should, I started to think more about what I was wearing, I took more care of my appearance than a simple dog walk deserved. Soon after our initial meeting he'd began to compliment me on my outfit, or my hairstyle, particularly if I done it differently from the previous day. Obviously when it rained I'd be wrapped in a raincoat, but always I'd have something smart underneath in case the weather improved, and I'd be able to open the coat. It mattered to me what he thought of me, maybe more than it should.

It was clear that I wanted him to like me, and he did seem to. He was always happy to see me and if for any reason we missed each other, the next day he'd tell me how disappointed he'd been not to see me.

Things began to change, I'm not sure when, I suppose him asking if I minded him eating his lunch while we were out started it. I acquiesced of course and he pulled a sandwich from his pocket, we talked while he ate, as a consequence our 'walk' took longer, we were spending more time together. After that day I started doing the same so, weather permitting, we'd sit and eat together every time we met.

Summer was upon us, so I started to wear dresses and sandals rather than the jeans and trainers I'd worn up to now. The Park was busier, and one day we found all the benches occupied so couldn't sit to eat. When I saw Jake the next time he had a car blanket tucked under his arm. I'd looked quizzically at what he was carrying. "It's so we can sit down somewhere if the benches are full."

They were, so we found a patch of grass overlooking a quaint little pond in a largely wooded section of the park and, after spreading out the blanket, sat to eat our respective lunches. It was a lovely day, it was sunny and warm, the birds were happily chirping, butterflies seemed to skip and flutter around us. Once he had eaten Jake lay back, his hands tucked behind his head with his eyes closed. I couldn't help it, I looked!

In settling down he'd shifted such that the bulge in his trousers was in my peripheral vision, the shape of him was quite obvious, it was impressive, I know I shouldn't have looked... but I had done!

I felt my body flush, sure that my reddening cheeks would give away my inappropriate thoughts, I stuttered, "I've finished my lunch, perhaps we need to get going?"

"What's the hurry, we've loads of time, come on, lay back and enjoy the sun, it's lovely down here." So, against my better judgement, I did. I made sure my dress was in place, covering what it needed to, and lay back beside him. I didn't tuck my hands behind my head, I was sure the dress was too short for that.

~*~*~*~

Kate looked good in her jeans and t-shirt but now she wore summer dresses on warm sunny days, they were quite modest but even so, they showed her shape to perfection, the slight lift of her heeled sandals made her legs look even more lovely, and there was now a much more pronounced swing to her hips as she walked. I really was enjoying being with this lovely woman.

Rather than just rest on a bench we'd begun taking a packed lunch with us. Weather permitting this extended the time I could spend with her. We always found something to talk about, I was getting very fond of Kate, very fond indeed. Then one day the benches were full, the schools had finished so a lot more people were out and about, we could not find a spare bench anywhere so the next day I took a car blanket out with me.

The patch of grass we found overlooked a pond in a wooded section of the park and, after spreading out the blanket, we sat to eat our respective lunches. It was a lovely warm day; I finished my sandwich before Kate, so I lay back with my hands tucked behind my head and my eyes closed.

I'd not been like that for more than a couple of minutes when Kate suggested we had better head for home. This was unusual, normally it was Kate who tended to linger so I asked what the hurry was, as I spoke I lifted my head to look at her. Her neck and cheeks looked a little flushed as if she were blushing. I asked if she was OK, mentioning that she looked a bit, well, flustered.

She said she was fine really, adding that I was right, there is no rush, the sun must have caught her she'd mumbled. While steadfastly looking out over the pond, pointedly not looking in my direction, which was strange.

Not knowing what else to do I just lay back again, saying what a lovely spot we'd found and suggesting that she lay back too. She didn't acknowledge my comment but, after checking that her dress covered her legs appropriately, she lay back to enjoy the sun on her face.

After a few moments I turned my head to look at Kate, I liked looking at her. As I did so I was pleasantly surprised to briefly meet her lovely blue eyes looking at me. She turned away immediately, but not before I noticed her expression, it was one of concern, as if something about me was worrying her.

I returned my gaze to the sky, and we lay quiet for another fifteen or so minutes before she spoke, "This is lovely, but I suppose we should be making tracks back."

She was right, I needed to get back to work, I got to my feet quicker than her so automatically offered my hands to help her up. Time seemed to stand still for a moment as she regarded my hands, then her eyes shifted to my face and seeing nothing that concerned her, placed her hands in mine. I hardly felt her weight as she gracefully got to her feet, releasing my hands to smooth down her dress, "Thank you kind sir." Her tone playful.

Then she looked into my eyes, in helping her up we were standing quite close, face to face, our eyes locked together for what seemed like an eternity but was barely a second. It was Kate who broke the connection, pointing to the blanket on the ground, "we really should be going."

I tucked the folded blanket under my arm and we each returned to our homes, my thoughts full of what I had just happened. Was I reading too much into the looks she gave me, misinterpreted her expression, what did the silence in that moment of closeness mean, had she expected some sort of reaction from me?

There was no way we should go further than just being friendly walking companions, she'd mentioned her husband, so there was no future in anything between us. Why then was I even thinking like this? I lived a fairly solitary life, work dominated my time, well until I met Kate that is, now she was on my mind a lot.

Kate on the other hand had her family at home, and no doubt for someone as attractive as her, a lot of friends nearby. I was nothing special to her, just someone to help pass an hour with, a person in the right place at the right time. Perhaps I should be sensible and cool it a bit. Maybe vary the timing of my exercise, not try to meet her every day? Tomorrow I'd set off later. Yes, that's it, that will work.

~*~*~*~

I very nearly kissed him, what was I thinking? Well, I suppose I wasn't, was I? Thinking I mean!

Lost in that moment, the warm sun, the picturesque setting, our relaxed companionship all added up to make me feel oddly romantic. My mind taken back to my courting days, rare moments when a boyfriend and I had escaped the attentions of our parents for a few illicit moments to fondle and kiss each other.

Who was I kidding? It was imagining what his body might be like naked that caused the unsettled feeling I'd experienced, what caused me to blush like schoolgirl. Then when he caught me looking as my mind wandered, as I had those wicked thoughts, imagining what he'd be like as a lover!

As soon as I held his hands we crossed a line, a significant gesture that we had studiously avoided for all those weeks, it felt good, not wrong, hardly intimate, it was just hand on hand.

Why then did my heart skip a beat and why did I so want him to kiss me?

It had to stop, I'd been extremely close to kissing him, to wrapping my arms around his neck and pressing my lips to his, wanting to tell him it was OK, that there was no harm in just a friendly peck on the lips Only it wouldn't have been, it would have been so much more than that to me.

I'll not see him tomorrow, I'll go earlier, or later, maybe give it a miss altogether, whatever, but put further temptation away. Yes, that's what I'll do.

~*~*~*~

"Good afternoon Kate," it was nearly an hour later than we normally met up, I'd purposely eaten my lunch at home while I worked, leaving walking King later than usual, just as I'd promised myself I would. I didn't want Kate to feel uncomfortable so had planned to miss her today, I'd even changed back to using the short-cut path, yet here she was, back at the place where we'd first met. By way of an apology I added, "Running late today?"

Kate took it as an accusation, "why 'yes', I had things to do, wasn't going to bother but Tasha insisted," then, making it sound like an afterthought, said questioningly, "you're late too?"

She must have seen something in my expression and continued, "Oh, I see, you were trying to avoid me?"

"No.....no, well maybe!" I couldn't lie, it would not be fair. "I thought I'd embarrassed you yesterday, I.... overstepped.... well, made you uncomfortable?"

She'd stopped walking so I turned to face her, she had a slightly bewildered look, as if she were lost, quickly scanning around to see if anyone were close by. "Are we stupid or what?" Her smile was back, "we're just friends, and done nothing we shouldn't have, yet we each tried to avoid each other today. You didn't embarrass me; it was me that nearly kissed you!"

At that she covered her face with her hands, her neck had turned almost crimson, "Why did I say that? I'm sorry, I'll walk another...."

Before she could finish I'd taken the four steps back to her and wrapped my arms around her shoulders to hug her to me. "We are not stupid, you are not stupid, we have feelings for each other, albeit emotions that must be kept under control." Her hands had dropped from her face and were resting on my hips as I finished, "we can do it, stay friends, enjoy each other's company, maybe even share a hug now and then. I promise that I won't push or tempt you into anything else."

"It's not you I'm worried about; I need to trust myself!" She looked into my eyes for a second, then, "Oh! What the heck, come on we're here now, what harm can it do." With that Kate slipped her hand in one of mine, stepped away from me and pulled me with her as she started down the path.