Blanche: A Story for Girls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That lady who just rode past," he said, "is Lady Hebe Shetland; she is a ward of Sir Conway's. A very fine-looking young lady she is considered. She has been hunting, no doubt. She is a splendid horsewoman."

"Of course, there is a great deal of hunting hereabouts," said Mrs Derwent. "It was my own part of the country in my young days."

And something in her tone, though she was too kindly to indulge in "snubs," made the young man conscious that the ladies were of a different class to most of the applicants for houses at the office in Enneslie Street.

They soon found themselves there again; Mr Otterson receiving them with urbanity, which increased when he found Mrs Derwent a prospective tenant, likely to do more than "nibble."

"I should have _preferred_ a house on the other side," she said, "nearer Alderwood and Fotherley. Fotherley was my own old home."

"Indeed," said the agent, with secret curiosity. "I fear there is nothing thereabouts--really _nothing_. The new building has all been in the town, or quite close to it, with the exception of Pinnerton Green."

"Ah well, then there is no use in thinking of another neighbourhood," said Mrs Derwent.

And she went on to discuss the house that there _was_ use in thinking of, after a very sensible and practical fashion, which raised Mr Otterson's opinion of her greatly.

There would be a good deal to do to it; of that there was no doubt. And repairs, and alterations, and embellishments are not done for nothing. Mr Otterson looked grave.

"The first thing to be done," he said, "is to get at an approximate idea of the cost."

"You cannot make even a guess at it?" said Mrs Derwent, glancing at the clock.

For it had been already explained to her that all but the most absolutely necessary work must be at her own expense.

The agent shook his head.

"Not till to-morrow morning," he said. "I have a very clever builder close at hand, who could give a rough idea almost at once, but not this evening. You are not staying the night at Blissmore, I suppose, madam?"

"We had not thought of doing so," Mrs Derwent replied doubtfully.

"It would save a good deal of time, and indeed the man would almost need to see you to receive your personal instructions," said Mr Otterson. "If it is impossible, perhaps you can manage to come down again next week."

Blanche looked at her mother, as if to ask leave to speak.

"Yes, my dear?" said Mrs Derwent inquiringly.

"I think, mamma, it would be a good plan to stay the night," she said. "It would be less tiring for you, and we should feel more settled if we knew a little more."

"I think so too," said Mrs Derwent. "We can telegraph to Jermyn Street, so that Herty and Aline will not be frightened. I suppose there is a good hotel here?"

Mr Otterson hesitated.

"There are one or two fairly comfortable, but not exactly what I should recommend for ladies," he said.

"It is not very often hotel accommodation is needed here. People come down for the day. I did not know--I thought perhaps you had friends in the neighbourhood."

"No, no one I could go to suddenly," said Mrs Derwent. "I daresay we shall manage well enough," and she was turning away, when a bright idea struck the agent.

"There are lodgings--private apartments--in the High Street," he said, "where you could certainly be accommodated for the night, and though it might be in a plain way, it would be quieter and more retired for ladies alone than the hotels. It is at number--What is Miss Halliday's number in the High Street, Joseph?" he called out to an invisible somebody in the inner office.

There was a moment's delay. Then the invisible somebody replied.

"Twenty-nine, sir--number twenty-nine."

"Exactly--twenty-nine. Miss Halliday has a small millinery establishment, but has more rooms than she wants--it is a good-sized house--and lets them to lodgers. And I happen to know that they are vacant at present."

"Thank you," said Mrs Derwent more cordially than she had yet spoken to the house-agent; "I think that sounds much better. We will drive round there at once."

"Mamma," said Blanche, when they were again in the fly, "it may be a very good thing to know of these rooms; for we may find it a convenience to come down here before the house is ready, to superintend its getting into order."

"Yes, that is a good idea," her mother agreed; "for I may find the hotel in London very dear. I really don't know. I could not get them to say anything very definite, but English hotels are always dearer than abroad, I believe. Yes, I really think we are very lucky."

This opinion increased when, in reply to the flyman's knock at Miss Halliday's door, it was opened by a neat, old-fashioned looking, little servant-maid of twelve or thirteen, who replied that her missis was in the shop, but she would see the ladies at once. It was evidently a case of lodgings, not bonnets, and the small damsel appreciated its importance.

Mrs Derwent and Blanche left Stasy, rather to her disgust, to wait for them in the fly, while they were shown into Miss Halliday's best sitting-room. A very nice old sitting-room it was, at the back of the house, looking out upon a long strip of walled-in garden, which in summer bade fair to be quaintly pleasant. And Miss Halliday matched her house. She was small and neat, with a certain flavour of "better days" about her, though without the least touch of faded or complaining, decayed gentility. On the contrary, she was briskly cheerful, though the tones of her voice were gentle and refined. She took in the situation at a glance, was honoured and gratified by the application, much obliged to Mr Otterson, and anxious at once to take upon her small shoulders the responsibility of making her visitors as comfortable as their sudden advent would allow.

"Tell Stasy to come in, Blanchie dear," said Mrs Derwent. "I have no doubt Miss Halliday will make us a cup of tea quickly, for we are cold and rather tired.--Will your servant ask the flyman his fare?" she added, turning to the little landlady; "and, oh, by-the-by, I forgot. Can I easily send a telegram?"

"The post-office is only two doors off," Miss Halliday replied. "Deborah shall run with it at once. And this room will soon be warm-- the fire burns up very quickly once it is lighted--but if the ladies would honour me by stepping into my own little parlour across the passage. It is nice and warm, and tea shall be ready directly. Dear, dear, down from London to-day, and such cold weather! You must be tired, and longing for tea."

Now that they were free to rest, they _did_ begin to feel tired, and very glad to escape the dark journey back to town, and the cold drive from the station. The bedrooms up-stairs were aired and ready, as Miss Halliday was expecting visitors next week for a few days.

"There's a good deal of coming and going at Blissmore, nowadays," she said. "It's a very improving place by what it used to be, every one says," as she hospitably bustled about.

"You have not been here many years, I suppose," said Mrs Derwent. "I cannot remember this house. I don't think it used to be a shop in the old days, otherwise I should recollect it. There were not many shops here when I was a girl."

Miss Halliday looked deeply interested, but she was too well-bred a little woman to ask questions.

"If you were here a good many years ago, madam," she said, "you may remember my aunt, Mrs Finch, whom I succeeded. She had a nice little millinery business, and I came to her as a learner. Things had gone badly at home, after my dear old father died, and I was very glad to have the chance my aunt offered me. That was about seven years ago. There's been many changes here even since then, but the most of the building had begun before I came."

"Yes," said Mrs Derwent, "I had not heard anything of it. I was quite astonished to find how the school had increased. Mrs Finch, did you say? Oh yes, I remember her very well, but she did not live here--not in this house."

"No," said Miss Halliday, "my aunt lived in the Market Place--a small corner house. But we got on pretty well, and then we moved here to join apartments to the millinery. So many ladies disliked the hotels: they were noisy and rough. And it's answered pretty well on the whole."

"Then your aunt is dead, I suppose," said Mrs Derwent. "She must have been a good age, for when I remember her, she had already quite white hair and stooped a good deal. She used to retrim and alter my hats very nicely, and I remember how interested she was when my new ones came down from London. I was--my unmarried name was Fenning. My father was the rector of Fotherley, the village near Alderwood."

Miss Halliday looked delighted at having her curiosity thus satisfied.

"Oh indeed, madam," she said. "I'm sure I've heard my aunt speak of the late Mr Fenning. When I first came to Blissmore, the vicar of Fotherley was a Mr _Fleming_, and I recollect my aunt drawing a contrast, if you'll excuse my naming it, between that gentleman and his predecessor."

Mrs Derwent smiled.

"Yes," she said, "by all accounts there was a very marked contrast."

Then Deborah appeared to say that the fire was burning up nicely in the best parlour, and thither the ladies repaired to rest and talk. Blanche, the foreseeing, had taken the precaution of bringing a bag with a few necessary articles "just _in case_ we were kept too late," and Miss Halliday was only too ready to lend anything she could, so the prospects for the night were not very alarming.

Altogether, the spirits of the little family improved; and when Miss Halliday's neatly prepared little supper made its appearance, they drew their chairs round the table, prepared to do full justice to it.

"I really think," said Mrs Derwent for the second time that day, "that we have been very lucky. It is nice to have found out these lodgings. We could stay here quite comfortably for a few weeks while the house is getting ready."

"It would certainly be much less expensive than a London hotel," said Blanche. "Yes, I do hope we may get to like Blissmore, if all goes through about the house."

"You mean you hope we shall like Pinnerton Lodge," said Stasy. "We needn't have anything to do with Blissmore, except, of course, that it will be our station and post-town. And I suppose we shall do a little shopping here. But, _of course_, we shall not know any Blissmore people. Mamma, I wish you'd begin to look up some of your old friends. That big place now, near us--East Moddersham. Didn't you know those people long ago?"

Mrs Derwent shook her head.

"It was as good as shut up in those days," she said. "The Marths were scarcely ever there, as the then Lady Marth was very delicate.--Do the present owners of East Moddersham live there much, do you know?" she inquired of Miss Halliday, who just then re-entered the room to see that her guests had all they wanted.

"Sir Conway and Lady Marth?" she replied. "Oh yes, they are there most of the year; they have several sons, some grown up and some still at school, and one quite little daughter. They are very much liked and highly thought of in the county."

"And," began Blanche, "there is a grown-up girl, is there not? A niece or a ward of Sir Conway's?" Miss Halliday's face grew still brighter.

"Lady Hebe, Miss, you must mean; Lady Hebe Shetland. Yes, she is their ward, and Sir Conway's niece too. A great heiress, and to my mind the most beautiful and charming young lady in all the country round. Her face makes one think of everything sweet and pleasant."

"And happy," said Blanche. "I never did see any one look so happy."

"She has everything to make her so," said Miss Halliday. "But that wouldn't do it without a happy _nature_."

"How old is she?" asked Stasy abruptly.

"Nineteen, I think, Miss. They do say she is engaged to young Mr Milward, a fine young gentleman, and well suited to her. But I don't know if it is true."

"Do you mean the Milwards of Crossburn?" said Mrs Derwent.

"Yes; that is where they live, I believe," was the reply.

"I hope it's not true that that girl of Blanche's is engaged," said Stasy, later in the evening, after she had been sitting silent for some time.

"Why?" said her sister, looking up in surprise; "what difference could it make to us?"

"All the difference. If she were married, she'd go away to a home of her own, and we would never see her. But living there, so near, she would be a nice friend for us. She is just about your age, Blanchie."

"Well," said Blanche, "we shall see. It is not even certain yet that we are going to live at Pinnerton at all."

"I'm sure we shall. I have a presentiment that we shall," said Stasy oracularly.

CHAPTER SIX.

THE DOCTOR'S WIFE.

Stasy's presentiment came true. The reports of the builder the next morning, when he called to enter into particulars with Mrs Derwent, were favourable; and later in the day the mother and daughters returned to London with very little doubt in their minds as to their future home being Pinnerton Lodge.

London looked very grim and dreary after the clear fine sky in the country, and Stasy shivered at the thought of how many days must yet forcibly be spent there, before they could install themselves in their new quarters.

But the things we dread are not always those that come to pass. Mrs Derwent, as I have said, was in some ways extremely inexperienced in English life and rates of expenses. Busy and eager about the arrangements for their new house, she put off asking for her hotel bill till fully a fortnight after the little party's arrival in London. And when she received it and glanced at the total, she was aghast!

"Blanche, my dear," she exclaimed, "just look at this. Is it not tremendous? Why, we might have lived at a hotel at home for nearly a year for what this fortnight has cost us!"

"Not quite that, mamma," said Blanche, smiling, though her own fair face was flushed with annoyance. "But, no doubt, it is very dear. And yet we seem to have lived plainly enough. Mamma," she went on decidedly, "we mustn't stay here; that is quite certain. All you have got in reserve for furnishing our house and paying for the alterations will be wasted, and what should we do then?"

Mrs Derwent sat silent, considering.

"You are quite right, dear," she said at last. "We must look out for lodgings. But I have a horror of London lodgings. They are so often detestable."

"Why stay in London at all?" said Stasy suddenly from her corner of the room, where, though engrossed with a story-book, her quick ears had been caught by the sound of vexation in her mother's voice. "I am sure it is horrid--so dull, and knowing nobody. Why shouldn't we go down to Blissmore, to that nice little Miss Halliday's, and stay there till the house is ready? We meant to go there for the last week or two, anyway."

Blanche's face lighted up, and she looked at her mother anxiously. But Mrs Derwent hesitated.

"It would certainly be comfortable enough," she said; "quite as comfortable as here. But to stay there for so long--for several weeks? Is it not rather lowering? I don't want to get mixed up with Blissmore people: they must be a very heterogeneous society; not like in the old days when there were just a very few thoroughly established people living in the town, whom everybody knew and respected."

"I don't see that we need know people we don't want to know, any more when living in the town than in the neighbourhood," said Blanche. "We can keep quite to ourselves; unless, of course, you can look up some of your old friends, who would understand how we were placed."

Mrs Derwent seemed perplexed.

"I wish I could," she said, "but I scarcely know how to begin. There seems nothing but changes. It is such a disappointment about dear old Sir Adam to start with."

"Still we are gaining nothing in that way by remaining in London," said Blanche. "And when at Blissmore you can find out about the people you used to know, and perhaps write to them."

"I can find out about them, certainly," Mrs Derwent agreed. "But I don't think I should actually write or suggest any one's calling, till we are in our own house, and have everything nice and settled. People are so prejudiced. They would immediately begin saying we lived poorly or messily because we had been so long in France."

"I don't think any one could live `messily' in Miss Halliday's house if they tried. It is so beautifully neat," said Stasy, who had taken a great fancy to their little landlady. "Do let us go there, mamma. I am so tired of being here. London is horrid in winter, especially if you have no friends. And why should you and Blanche worry about the hotel bills, when there is no need, and none of us want to stay?"

And in the end, as not unfrequently happened--for there was often a good deal of wisdom in her suggestions--Stasy's proposal was adopted; so that about three weeks after their first arrival in England, the Derwents found themselves settled for the time being at Number Twenty-Nine in the old High Street of Blissmore.

It was not exactly the beginning of life in England which Mrs Derwent had pictured to herself. It was a trifle dreary to be back again, really back again in the immediate neighbourhood of her old home, with no one except Miss Halliday--herself a new-comer in the place--to welcome her and her children, or take the slightest interest in their advent.

"If there had been even one or two of our old servants left somewhere near," she could not help saying to Blanche that night, when Stasy and little Hertford had gone to bed, in high spirits at having really got away from "that horrid London," as they both called it. "But every one seems gone that I had to do with," she concluded, in a depressed tone.

"You really can't judge yet, mamma," said Blanche. "You haven't looked up anybody except Sir Adam Nigel, and you said you would rather wait till we were settled in our own house."

"I know I did. Oh yes, I daresay it will all be right enough. I am going to make out a list of all the friends I remember, and inquire about them by degrees. Some day soon we must drive over to Fotherley, Blanchie. Just think, I have never even seen your dear grandfather's grave! I am tired to-night, and everything seems wrong when one is tired."

Things did brighten up even by the next morning. The weather, though cold, was clear and bracing; very different from the murkiness of London, which had been peculiarly trying to nerves and lungs accustomed to the pure smokeless air of southern France. And the work at Pinnerton Lodge was already begun. It was most interesting to go all over the house again with the delightful sense of proprietorship, planning which rooms should be for what and for whom; how the old furniture would "come in," and what it would be necessary to add to it. And an occasional day in London, with definite shopping for its object, made Stasy allow that for some things, and in some ways, the great city was not altogether a bad place after all.

Still, though they were not "dull" in the sense of having nothing to do, and feeling in consequence listless and dreary, the little family felt curiously lonely.

Miss Halliday was no gossip--that is to say, she drew the line at the concerns of her visitors, and sternly refused to tell any of her cronies anything about them. And though this rule of hers was well known, still it added a slight element of mystery to her present lodgers, which, in reality, led to more gossip about them than they were in the least aware of. It was not often that visitors stayed so long at Miss Halliday's; as a rule, her rooms were merely taken as a half-way house for a very few days, by families pitching their tents in the now sought-after little town. And for some time no one knew anything about Pinnerton Lodge, as the distance between it and Blissmore was sufficient, in winter especially, to prevent much passing by. Added to which one of the good qualities of the Otterson and Bewley firm was discretion carried to the limits of surliness, in their determination that all knowledge of their clients' affairs should be confined to the office itself.

1...34567...22