Blood & Carrots - Silverpaw Ep. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We have no excuse, just-"

"That's right, you don't!" I barked out and thrust a hand forward. "I grow weary of this trip down memory lane. Out with why you called me here, I long to see my wife and family."

There was a long pause before the Seraph spoke out gently. "Do you recall we said that we could not directly act upon the course of things?"

"I do, what of it?"

"Your kind, like the rest of our flock, are our children, like it or not. We do not wish to see our children come to harm's way."

"So you're going to get involved directly after all?" I tilted my head, tapping a foot in impatience.

"We simply cannot, we are quite literally bound in that capacity, no matter how we long to stand and protect our loved ones. You, however..."

"What of me?" I pushed a hand to my chest as I growled, "I'm no messiah, I'm just a humble fox that was thrust into a situation I never asked for. I simply want my family to be safe and happy, it's all I've ever wanted."

"Before the chimera was involved, only one being each was to control the power of hellfire and radiance. You and your wife bear the power of your elders, an ancient pact that was formed long ago in the past."

"How is that possible? She told me tales of her former sire, how she also drew the flames while he lived. That was centuries before a chimera was even around."

"A progeny can have scraps of the power, but only the benefactor may summon it in full and it never follows the child's lineage if they turn others, only moving on when taken in full. Even now, the chimera has brought forth the power in multiple beings, including our fallen knight and even our son Toroah. However, as much of a boon as it may be, it will always fall to the wayside compared to the pure unfiltered power that you and your wife possess."

"Why us then? Was it truly happenstance, or were other powers at play here? How did it even come to be?"

"The power was created by an ancient union from deep in the sands of time between our forebearers, the lords of the hells, and your elders. One of your kind would be deemed worthy to represent the power of the nine hells, summoning forth the flames of demons. The other celestial, bringing fires of purity and divinity."

"So 'of the divine flame' wasn't just a colorful nickname. Your people were speaking literally when they called me as such."

"Correct. You suffered all the effects the rest of your kind did when exposed to our divinity and blessed armaments, however, you were able to channel it all the same."

"Interesting... and the reason we have it?"

"We are allowed a minor influence in its movement, but only in a minute fashion. We cannot speak for the lords of hell, but at the moment of your turning, we ordered Ichiro to strike upon your sire but leave him alive. We weakened him and in your awoken frenzy, you claimed the power, as we felt you would potentially be a more worthy heir for it."

"You... so all that time... Wait, why meddle in it at all?"

"He was a cruel being and we were distraught he was using the power for such ends. We had to wait nearly two centuries for the right moment. It was heart-rending to watch so many of our flock suffer at our own power, but that was the price that was to be paid in the original agreement."

"So do you regret your decision? I've laid low many of your flock with this power. Do you seek to take it back now and that is why you called me here?"

"We do not. You have wielded it with a righteous heart, and though your wife may be a little heavy-handed with her methods, she has also created much good in her wake."

"So what was the point in this meeting? Just to explain things to me?"

"Yes, and to fully awaken you to what lies within."

"Wait, you wh-"

Just like that my soul was on fire. I can't describe it any more simply than that. Everything of me felt ablaze in my radiant flames. I took a knee, teeth clenched. I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry out and sob, but I couldn't. I couldn't do anything but kneel there and accept everything.

It was only a few moments, but it felt like hours of constant pain, then it was gone, washed away as if it had never been there. I stood and looked at my hands, blinking slowly to try to come to grips with this sensation I felt.

"Summon your flames, Elias Blackpaw."

I showed my teeth at the orders but did as I was told, pulling deep as white-hot flames bursts forth in a massive corona around me, blue sparks of divine energy falling off as I held my hand aloft, my own mouth agape at the sheer radiant power pouring off me. "Gods... this is... I can protect them with this... I can protect everyone with this power! Protect and... punish those that have hurt them, kill them, all of them!" I barked the words out, wagging my tail, a wide grin spreading forth.

"You still must resist your demons, my son. We have unleashed your potential because we feel the world needs it, but we also did so because we feel you are ready. Know that if you do not remain vigilant, the hunger will still claim you, and you will destroy all that which you wish to protect."

I frowned, the words sounding distant, as if the monsters in me didn't want to hear them, but hear them I did. I gave a slow nod, dousing the flames as I shuddered. "T-thank you for your faith in me. I'll do my utmost to remain vigilant."

I tilted my head and shuddered, still feeling the tremors of energy pouring off me. "What of... my wife? Can she do something like this?"

"Sarnai Blackpaw tore down her walls herself. The lords of hell needed not intervene, she pushed past her limits long ago in defense of you and the one known as Lorelai. Her power is simply split right now."

"Split?" I tilted my head curiously.

"The demon that wrought her with agony is now a kindred spirit within her. It is only when the two work in tandem that the power will flourish."

"I'll have to tell her that."

"You mustn't. You can't speak of what has transpired here this day. If you explain things, she will never find the answers within, of that we are certain."

I scowled and lifted a hand. "Though I appreciate your faith in me, I don't keep things from my wife, that's not how I operate."

"You must have faith in us in this matter, Elias. We cannot say what the future holds, but we know it would be a mistake to do so. Please trust us in this matter, that is our only request for awakening your abilities."

I snarled at the prospect of it, but I clenched my teeth and nodded. "Fine. I'll not volunteer the information, but know if she asks directly, I'll not lie to my wife."

"Thank you for your faith."

"Anything else I should know?"

"Just remember your fires are of purity and cleansing, not destruction. Please use it for such."

"Purity and cleansing... like washing away evil and such?"

"Correct. Your powers will shatter curses and even maledictions in their wake, even those of the arcane."

I tapped a finger on my chin in thought. "I see... so magical plagues and curses can be cleansed. That is helpful... kind of like a dispelling effect-"

—♥—

"No! I refuse! I let you throw your life away to protect me once, I'll not do it again! Never again!" My master screamed the words out, his voice sounding maddened as his white flames burst forth more violently than I had ever seen, spreading through the small room, scorching away the moss as we shielded our eyes from the blinding radiance.

I blinked them open in the haze of light, seeing the fox had shoved his hands straight through the barrier, prying at it as if tearing two doors free of their hinges. Fissures of light erupted from the gate and in a burst of radiant energy it shattered, leaving odd chunks of distorted reality hanging from it.

There was no hesitation as he dove right back into the shattered gate. I found my feet in a sprint to chase after him, seeing the barrier restitching itself in his wake. I didn't think I just willed my blood to empower me as much as it would allow, using my own arcane training to enhance my speed as I leaped at the gate, clearing it as I tumbled past. The last thing I heard was Alex and Gloria screaming my name, the wolf slamming up against the closed gate a moment too late.

I hope you've enjoyed this week's episode, my dear reader. If you have, I'm thrilled and would love to know it, so please give it a vote and favorite, that will do wonders for my drive. If you really like my stuff, by all means, give me a follow so you can keep up with my releases, that would make my day.