Blood of the Clans Ch. 38

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Robert heard the news of more men and smiled broadly. He gave orders to a soldier to prepare two flaming arrows to be fired towards the direction of the sea and returned to Sorley.

"Ye've come at a grand time as well. Laird Grayson is joining wi' Lady Heather and Laird Garreth is joining wi' Lady Therese. They're tae be bound up at Dunvegan in less than a week's time. I know ye'll be welcomed tae attend. Wi' ha'e dire events as well. Laird Braedon Stewart arrived yesterday wi' news of what's happening o'er on Loch Linnhe. MacRae and his clans ha'e attacked innocent people and slaughtered them. We ha'e the leader of the clan, Sloan Fraser, wi' us and he's told us of MacRae's plans. He's come up wi' a good defence tactic we're going out the morrow tae see where tae use it." Robert informed Sorley, bringing him up to date on everything since he left over a week ago.

"Sloan Fraser? I've ne'er heard of him, but I know of Fraser's. Might be, we know a relative of theirs, I'll ha'e tae meet him and also offer my condolences on his loss. His entire clan ye said, Robert?" Sorley frowned sadly, as he opined on the thought of everyone he knew being slaughtered.

"Aye, his wife and unborn child, as well. And noo he has charge of three, young Fraser's left homeless and wi'oot parents, because of this. A distant relation of kin tae him, but Fraser's none the less. Their tale gets sadder, the more he tells of it. A birlinn has been sent back tae Stalker tae fetch them and bring them here. They're in great danger of being raided at any time by the MacDougall's and Douglas' tae the south, the MacLean's tae the west, across the loch and MacRae himself up in Ballachulish tae the north. He's well stocked wi' enough tae fight though. In a brilliant move, he's stolen three of the enemies boats, as well as ha'ing four of his own, making seven more birlinns tae command under us. They have twenty horse tae ride as well and they'll be brought o'er in the other birlinns. He only has twenty men left, but he and every man has pledged his life tae rid the land of MacRae and his followers." Robert could see how the news affected Sorley, reminding him of his own clan deaths.

"I truly wish tae meet this man, Robert, but fer noo, take me tae Lady Arabella and Laird Braedon. I ha'e a surprise fer them, that will truly bring a change in their hearts." he said

smiling, as he looked past Robert's shoulder, to the sails making their way into the loch.

Robert turned to follow Sorley's gaze and his eyes went wide at the sight. The six birlinns were packed close with men and the four galleys were a mass of horse flesh. Swords were waved from both sides now and shouts and cheers rang out across the waters of Loch Moidart. The shore was laden with boats, as they pulled in one after the other.

Hundreds and hundreds of men and animals were unloaded and the entire eilean became

a mass of movement. Horses were led off towards the fields and kept in check from wandering, while supplies were unloaded and eventually, whiskey.

Arabella and Braedon appeared from the castle gate and made their way towards Sorley. Smiles were as big and wide as they could be and Arabella hastened herself with each step until she was almost running to Sorley.

"My dear friend, ye've no idea how grateful we are fer yer aid. I was hoping fer a hundred men on my strongest wishes, but this is an army untae itself. Hoo many ha'e ye brung?" Arabella asked,before her hands had even made contact with Sorley's.

"There's o'er three hundred men and a hundred horse. Do ye see who came wi' us? O'er there by the second birlinn. Dressed in black and green." Sorley pointed out.

Arabella strained to look to where Sorely had mentioned. There among the men, was a man who Arabella held an interest in. After Braedon, Donald "Donnie" Donahue was someone Arabella felt worthy of her attention. Having traded with him for years, she knew him to be a honest man and one she could rely on. Seeing him here had her heart beating faster and a smile play over her lips. Sorley shouted out to him to get his attention and waved him over. Braedon was unaware of Arabella's feelings for Donnie, but stood a little closer to her, as he approached.

"Bella!!" he called out, smiling at her. He came to her and Braedon was a bit taken back by Arabella's greeting.

"Donnie, it's so good tae see ye again. I can'ne thank ye enough fer coming tae aid in oor cause." she said taking his hands and then kissing each of his cheeks and then hugged him.

Braedon felt unsure of things between them and stood waiting. Arabella finished greeting him and then turned back to Braedon.

"Donald Donahue of Donegal, I'd like ye tae meet Laird Braedon Stewart, Chief of the Stewart's of Appin. Braedon, this is a dear friend and trading partner of mine, Donnie." she said smiling.

Braedon extended his hand and was took well by Donnie. They exchanged looks of acknowledgement, but searched for meanings to each other's connection to Arabella.

"Come, let us go intae the castle and celebrate this joyous occasion. Braedon, if you please." she announced.

Braedon didn't respond at first, so she touched his arm gently. Braedon turned and saw that she was holding her hand for him to take and escort her. He quickly held his arm for her and placed his hand over hers, letting anyone know that he was intimately acquainted with her. Smiling with the assurance of his heart's interest, Braedon took Arabella and led the entourage into the castle, then into the keep.

"Bring drink and food in plenty. Call for Gregor and anyone who can play a tune, tis a time fer celebrating." Arabella called out to the servants in the kitchen.

Quickly the sounds of cooking were heard and kegs and barrels were tapped and pouring. Laughter and merriment were abound in Tioram and the surrounding lands. Fires roared and Celtic tunes were heard echoing from the hills, as hundreds of men feasted and drank their fill with the hundreds of MacDonald's. The air was alive with the smells of roasting ox and pig, along with vegetables, potatoes and bread.

Behind every smile and laugh, lay the honest truth in their hearts, that this might be the last celebration of life they enjoy. Games and singing, dancing and storytelling were done in abundance, well into the night. The next day would find a quick return to the situation at hand and a need for readiness, the order of the day.

12