Blood of the Clans Ch. 44

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Their vantage point gave them an excellent view of the area and Gordon pulled up and turned towards the loch. From where he was, he could see the first stages of the MacRae army massing and once the source of the disruption was taken care of, the eight hundred plus strong force would be joining up with them and the battle would soon be at Donan's gate. Gordon rode up to the front and rode beside his brother, Glendon.

"We must make it tae them before they're seen by that army. They'll ne'er stand any chance if they are. If we ride down the slope now, we'll be able tae get tae them in time." he told Glendon, knowing what he proposed was extremely dangerous.

Gordon looked back at the riders and knew his brother's thoughts were founded, but he worried the newcomers wouldn't know how to traverse a steep slope, the way the locals did. He weighed out the risk of not going as suggested and knew they wouldn't make it in time. He gave his brother a look that he understood and worried about their safety, then turned his horse towards the slope and made his way down through the trees. The others followed in single file, the horses stepping carefully over the rocky terrain. The chaos behind them continued out of sight, as they continued down the slope, knowing one wrong step meant death.

Finnian Gallagher was the unfortunate one to find out how dangerous their path was. His horse stepped on loose stone, causing his mount to stumble. The more he tried to correct it, the worse the horse reacted, as it tried to find a foothold. In a moment, it slid over the edge and started tumbling. Finnian clung on to the horse's back, to help right themselves to the slope, then the horse made one last effort to right itself, before falling and crushing its rider beneath it. The horse and rider continued tumbling, breaking small trees and bushes, as gravity continued to pull them over the precipice out of sight. The terrified braying continued for a moment, until the animal crashed onto the trees and rocks several hundred feet below, putting an end to its misery. In as much as Finnian's death weighed on them, their lives were now in jeopardy of being discovered. They held their ground, steadying their horses to stand as still as they could, while they watched the glen for anyone coming to investigate. When they felt it was safe, they took one last look at where Finnian went over and continued down.

The steep slope gave way to a gentler grade, allowing the need for haste to be met, as they rode towards the oncoming force. Robert and the others in the lead saw the riders coming down to them and took defensive positions of attack. When the clan oath was heard, they knew they were their own and arms were lowered. Gordon rode directly to Robert and stopped beside him.

"Robert, ye can'ne go any further. Around that bend a few miles ahead, is the main force of MacRae's army. We saw them when we made it tae Duich and were riding around tae a passage behind them." Gordon told him in haste.

"What of yer galley? Why are ye riding?" Robert asked him with concern.

"We took some hits from an English frigate and suffered some losses. We made a decision tae take the horses off at Loch Hourn and use the galley tae carry the dead and wounded. We've been riding through the passes tae meet up wi' ye's. When we saw ye coming down the glen, we knew ye would ride tae yer deaths if we did'ne stop ye's in time. We lost a man trying tae ride down that buggering slope tae make it tae ye, but we knew the risk of trying was more important than the danger." Gordon told him, his face showing the pain of loss.

"How far ahead is MacRae's army? Did ye see how many there are?" Robert asked, wanting to know what they faced ahead of them.

"Robert, it looks like close tae a thousand men and horses. They're just up ahead two miles on, just around the end of that foothill. They ha'e birlinns on the coast and two cannons as well. We need tae take those bastard things out, so they can'ne use them on the castle, but how?" Gordon informed him, wondering as well how they could stop the attack.

"The only way I know, is tae take out the horses pulling them. Wi'out them, the guns will ne'er go anywhere." he said plainly, knowing it was easier said than done.

"How can we do that, Robert? We'll ne'er get close enough tae fire on them." Gordon challenged.

"All of us might not get close enough, but a small group can. Ten archers can ride ahead of them and wait in ambush in the trees. By the time they know where the arras are coming from, the horses will be down and the men can make it back intae the woods fer safety. If they're lucky, they can take out MacRae as well." Robert explained and saw a dawning of his plan come across Gordon.

"E'en if we do take out the guns, how can we get past them and reach the castle? They'll ha'e our way blocked wi' no way around them." Gordon challenged next.

"We won't go around them, cousin. We'll trail behind them out of sight and wait till they're close tae the castle before we attack from behind. If God is wi' us, the others in the castle and stationed along the coast will be attacking and we can surprise them. Those birlinns ye talked of, will be our way up the loch. A group of men can sail them tae Donan and warn the others of MacRae's approach."

"Robert, there's something else ye need tae know." Gordon remembered.

"What's that, Gordon?" Robert replied, thinking hard on the situation.

"The MacLean's ha'e joined us. Lady Arabella has gi'en them a chance tae prove their loyalty tae us again. I know it's because they were once kin, but bad blood has come between us and I'm not sure it can be erased."

Cannon fire echoed along the loch and down the glen to them, stopping Gordon from saying more.

"That's coming from Alsh. The frigate must ha'e made it there and is firing on the birlinns still. Robert, Knock's been demolished. They bombed it wi' everything they had. There's hardly a hope that a man is alive." Gordon said with remorse, his hopes his clansmen had taken the ship before this, dashed from fruition.

"Then we ha'e no time tae waste talking anymore, Gordon." he told him, the rage beginning to seethe in him and turned to face the men. "I need ten archers tae ride ahead and take out the horses pulling the cannons and supplies and God willing, MacRae as well, then ride fer Donan and let them know they're coming and we're behind them."

In moments, every archer came forward at the order. Robert looked at each one and began picking who he felt knew the area well enough and were up to the task. He gave them his plans and without hesitation, they rode across the glen and began making their way along the foothills into the trees, staying out of sight of the army ahead. Higher and higher they climbed, until they crested the peak and rode along it to the far side of the range, far enough ahead to set up their place of attack. They came to a burn running down the side of the slope and made their way down along it.

Turning east, they rode behind cover of the sloping ridge that made its way to the coast. It didn't take much looking to find an area that gave them an advantage to shoot from and remain undercover, as well as a means of retreat and escape. Once again, the irony of the Pioneers work provided them with the perfect ambush. Riding hard to make it in time, the ten clansmen tore through the trees and onto the makeshift bridge, crossing the River Croe, as the procession came around the point and followed the road made just three days ago.

Robert and Gordon had the men dismount and rest their horses, while they discussed what to do. They were vastly outnumbered and an attack would be futile to try, being close to five to one against. Glendon made a suggestion to ride ahead and keep watch on the army, taking note of their movements. He and two others mounted up and rode towards the hills they had just come down, looking for an easier way to go back up. The agile horses made their way up slowly, the riders keeping a sharp lookout for pitfalls and enemy lookouts. They hadn't made it that far up, when they came across the horse and Finnian that had fallen. The mass of the animal's body lay over the dead highlander, only a hand and foot sticking out from under it, to show he was there.

Blood trailed slowly from the scene, a mix of man and animal life force staining the rocky ground, as the flies began to swarm. It gave them rise to be as careful as possible, remembering how one small misstep had caused his death. There were no trees or bushes to tie the horses to so high up on the rocky peak, so Brennan collected the reins and led them down almost a hundred feet, well into the first trees for a place to stand comfortably in the growing heat. Glendon and Connor started surveying the area, taking stock of all that they saw below them.

The march to the castle had started and Glendon worried if the advance team was in position yet. The three watched as one group broke off with one cannon and proceeded along the west shore where they had seen the Pioneers come down, while the rest of the army, still over nine hundred strong, began the long trek to the far side of the loch and cross over River Croe, before swinging north to their destination. While the battle took hold of the men's thoughts, thoughts of family and friends now gone, weighed on Robert's mind.

*******************************

"I'll stop there for a minute and take a wee break for a mo'. Is everyone okay? Need tae take a stretch or anything?" Stuart asked the guests.

Everyone seemed content to sit and listen to him, so Stuart took the time to finish his tea and went to start in again and looked at Sean, eagerly sitting on the edge of his seat and waiting for more.

"I see yer quite liking all of this, Sean. I guess it's a bit more interesting than what ye learn in yer classes at school." Stuart quipped to him.

"No kidding, Sir. This is awesome. I didn't think history could be exciting to learn, but this is blowing me away. I bet Mom and Dad would be happier too, because I'd actually pay attention in history class." he quipped back and looked at his parents and smiled, who gave him a concerned look in return at his disclosure.

"Ye can call me Uncle Stuart, lad. I may be the Chieftain, but it's only a title tae throw about." he said laughing, then winked at Sean and smiled, who happily smiled back. "I'm glad yer liking it though son, that's half the battle in learning anything. It's hard tae pay attention tae some dolt, who just prattles on about things and does'ne get intae the good stuff. When Tavish was teaching, no one missed any of his classes. Wait till he takes o'er and tells ye of things. E'en Mr. Stewart here tells a grand tale, so he does." Stuart told him and the others.

"Thank ye, Stuart. Very kind of ye tae say so." Argus said, bowing his head for the compliment.

"They sure do, Sean. Deb and I have been listening to what went on for three days now and let me tell you, I can't get enough and I know Deb can't either. All we wanted to know was why the MacRae's and MacLeod's and MacDonald's were all fighting and we've been treated to the most amazing stories. I know you don't like the idea of telling it all again, Uncle Stuart, but it really is something to consider doing. Our history should be kept alive for future generations to know and you three guys can tell it better than anyone else. It's something to consider, is all I'm saying." Tom finished with, looking at his uncle with a sense of hope he would do it.

"I don't know, Tom. As ye know, it's taken us three days and we're no done yet. It's up tae Argus and Tav, if they want tae do it, but I'll consider doing it. I ha'e tae agree wi' yer thoughts of the future and not letting this come tae fade intae the past." he agreed.

"I'm willing tae sit and do it, Stuart. I've got little tae do most days, so it's no a problem fer me. As long as no one minds my croaking, I'll do my best tae make it interesting." Argus confirmed, making everyone smile at the thought of hearing it from the beginning.

All eyes turned to Tavish, who was still looking hesitant towards it. He looked at the faces pleading with him and finally gave in and said he'd do it too. Cheers and applause broke out and the new guests thanked them for their efforts. Stuart smiled happily, but the thought of all the effort, was showing in his eyes, before starting back in.

"Okay, we'll talk of that later, so let's get back tae what's about tae happen at Glen Sheil. Eh, where was I? Oh yes, Robert and his lot, along wi' Gordon and his, were waiting behind the slope out of view, while MacRae had started fer Donan. Glendon, Connor and Brennan returned and talked wi' Robert and Gordon about the army splitting wi' one cannon and at least a hundred men, while the rest started fer the castle. They had left sixty men tae guard the birlinns and the wounded Blair, giving him time tae recover, before returning tae battle."

12