Bombshell - Riverside Origins Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miranda stopped, spinning on Donovan so sharply he hopped back in surprise. "The newspapers might fall for that shit but I don't," she chuckled caustically. "We both know Pierce is a total idiot...He probably only had his position so he could take the fall when some of your family's secrets inevitably came out."

Donovan nodded reflexively, lifting his hand to cover a grin he couldn't suppress. "Remember when we convinced him the Onion was a legitimate news source? He printed out one of their articles and brought it into that board meeting like a week later."

"That was a long a time ago." The slightest smile tugged wistfully at Miranda's pink lips. "Back when I thought you were different from the rest of them...like Warren was." A lump formed in her throat, she swallowed it.

"I'm not Warren but I'm not the rest of my family either," he said. "And I do want to make things right with you."

"You can't." Miranda turned, shouldering through the door back into the dining room.

"At least hear me out," Donovan said, following after her.

The entire soup kitchen went quiet when the pair came through the door. For once every eye fell on the impeccably dressed Donovan, instead of checking out the gorgeous blonde. Miranda ignored the reaction, heading straight back to the table where Chocolate was waiting.

"Oh uhh...Good evening everybody," Donovan said, waving awkwardly.

"Sorry it took me so long," Miranda said, dropping the box in front of Chocolate.

"No problem," the dark-skinned woman replied. "Looks like you were busy..."

"No no," she replied quickly. "Not busy, just inconvenienced."

"Evening ma'am," Donovan said, extending his hand.

Chocolate shook it, murmuring to Miranda over her shoulder. "Girl, he fine..."

"Don't."

"So, Miranda, please listen," Donovan said. "You're right. You're absolutely right-"

"Oooo girl," Chocolate said. "A man who look like that and knows when you right...mm mm..."

"So I put some more formula and diapers in here for your sister," Miranda went on. "I gave you what I could but we're short on diapers, we'll have more if you come back later this week."

Chocolate's eyes flicked from Miranda to Donovan and back. "O-okay, thanks."

"And regardless of who's secrets they are," Donovan said to Miranda's back. "I'm the one who's trying to clean up that mess, which got me thinking... that it was time to clean up the mess with you too, past time."

"You need anything else today, Chocolate?"

"I don't think so...?"

"Anyway, I'll be in town a week or so, overseeing the rebranding of the Riverside Summit," Donovan concluded. "I hope you'll consider just hearing me out, we were friends once, Miranda, family...I miss Warren too and-"

Miranda spun on him, tears instantly flooding her green eyes. "Don't you fucking dare."

He swallowed, meeting her gaze. "...and I miss you. I do."

She stared at him wordlessly. A single hot tear rolled down her cheek.

Donovan backed away without breaking eye contact. Finally, he turned and went back through the door which led to the storeroom. His limo would be waiting out back, and Miranda glared after him long after the door had shut.

Chocolate put a hand on her shoulder. "Now that's the kinda client you need to be pullin'...we'll make enough money to buy this whole town in a week!"

Miranda let out a dry mirthless chuckle. "You have no idea."

"Who was that anyway?"

"Donovan Ashton," Miranda growled. "My brother-in-law."

To Be Continued...