Bombshell - Riverside Origins Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We're almost-"

"Then I can walk," she said icily. "Stop. The fucking. Car."

Donovan knocked on the partition and the limo began to slow.

"Miranda..."

"You were his brother, Donovan," she hissed. "But you were my friend, I trusted you, I needed you but just like the rest of your family, you hid behind those fucking lawyers so you didn't have to face me."

"I...you don't understand," he stammered.

The limo had stopped, and Miranda didn't wait before opening the door. "Thank you for the ride. Now stay the fuck away from me."

She climbed out onto the sidewalk, grinding her teeth to keep from whimpering as pain shot through her side. They had pulled over on a quiet street in a relatively safe neighborhood. It was late so most of the houses were dark. A few had porchlights on, a few windows were glowing with the blue-white flicker of a television in a dark room. Miranda recognized the area, they were less than a mile from her house.

As long as no one calls the cops on the bedraggled hooker limping down their nice suburban street, she thought exhaustedly. I'll be home in no time.

"Miranda, wait," Donovan was getting out after her.

She ignored him and started walking.

"Hey! I heard everything you said," he called sternly. "At least hear me out, then I'll stay the fuck away from you if that's what you want."

She stopped. She did not turn to look at him.

"You're right, I let Warren down," he began. "I was the big brother and the only thing he ever would have wanted was for me to watch out for you." He walked towards her slowly. "And I know I let you down. You're right I couldn't face you. I knew - I know - how much you loved each other, and I was terrified to look you in the eye after losing him. Terrified to even see you, not knowing what to say, how to help, how I could possibly offer any comfort...so I hid."

Miranda half turned, not quite looking back over her shoulder.

"I hid behind the coldness of my family," he went on. "I didn't know they wanted you to change your name, I didn't know what they tried to take, or what, if anything, they offered. And when news spread of what you had gotten, I said to myself 'it was all just about the money' so I didn't have to feel guilty about not being there for you."

Finally, Miranda turned to face him, there was neither hatred nor softness in her expression, just a cold indifference that may have stung him even more.

"I know I can't take back what I did...what I didn't do." Donovan ran a hand through his meticulously styled hair. "But I do care about you, and I am sorry. I do miss my brother, Miranda, and I know there's a piece of his heart left on this planet, and that he left it with you... I'd do anything to be able to be close to that. So, if you want me to stay the fuck away, I will. But if you ever want to have a drink, and remember him together, I'd do anything to earn that privilege."

He lifted the bottle of Glen McKenna 35 year, Warren's favorite scotch and he held it out to her now.

Miranda stared at him for a moment, then she walked over and took the bottle. She turned and walked away without another word. The limo followed behind her, at a distance, but she didn't give it another thought. She didn't think at all, just focused on each step, then the next. It took her longer than she thought it would to reach her house. She was sore and exhausted and by the time she had reached her front door, the limo was nowhere to be seen.

"Thanks for the ride," she said to no one and raised the bottle in salute, before taking a deep chug.

Inside the house was quiet and dark. She kept a bedroom adjacent to the office/lab for Luna to stay in whenever she worked late, or just wanted to crash. Miranda was especially quiet in case the other woman was still there, not wanting to face her in that state.

I'll just burn these sheets in the morning, she thought crawling into bed without a shower, or even taking off her skimpy ruined outfit. Miranda took another deep drink, finishing the seven-hundred dollar bottle, then clutching it like a teddy bear.

Her last thought before sleep took her was; that was a really stupid plan...

Chapter 9

"This is the stupidest plan yet!" Luna snapped.

"Well, it's the only option at this point," Miranda replied evenly.

"That is just not even close to the truth." The brunette crossed her arms and glared at her.

"Luna, I can't wait another night knowing they really are out there kidnapping and selling girls."

The blonde was sitting in the office/lab, wrapped in a fluffy white towel. She had slept most of the day, and then spent an unusually long portion of it in the shower, but now her blonde hair was back to its lustrous tresses and every inch of her smooth skin had been scrubbed clean.

She had given Luna a CliffsNotes version of her misadventure at Baker's. The only remnants of the previous night's ordeal was a dusky bruise marring her cheek, and the ache in her side, which she was doing her best to hide and downplay.

"And what do you think is going to happen to you if they catch you? Huh? Are you even thinking about-"

"Of course," Miranda looked down almost guiltily, but when she looked back up there was a fire in her eyes. "But this is why I'm doing all of this, to help those who can't help themselves."

"They roughed you up when you were at full power," Luna said. "If you go into that pimp's pad without a full charge..."

"I'll be fine," she said confidently. "I'm not going in to try and trick them this time, I'm going in both guns blazing."

"I'd feel better about it if you had a gun..."

Miranda smirked. "Half a charge will be plenty, it's not going to take that long."

"It's not about the time," Luna threw up her hands. "Do you listen to anything I say? The Nandex calibrates to the amount of energy being pushed, if you go in with half a charge you go in at half strength."

"It'll have to be enough," she said, determined. "If anyone else goes missing tomorrow and I could've stopped it tonight ...then it's on me."

"It's really not," Luna grumbled in a huff.

Miranda let her pout for a few moments before asking. "Did you find anything on this 'the hammer'?"

Luna rolled her eyes and turned back to the computer. "Nothing. Or everything." She shrugged. "Lots and lots and lots and lots of hammer stuff but nothing pertaining to human trafficking specifically."

"Then it's even more import I get Crash to talk, and soon."

"Why can't we just call the cops?"

"Aren't we a little far into this superhero thing for 'just call the cops', L?" Miranda cocked her head as if the answer were obvious. "Besides even if we had some kind of evidence, they'd just be arresting a pimp and a petty crook, and we'd be back to square one. If I can make Crash tell me who or what 'the Hammer' is..."

"Then we can graduate to bigger, better criminals?" Luna was staring at the ceiling and shaking her head. "How did I let you talk me into this."

"Uhhh, excuse me?" Miranda squeaked. "You came to me..."

"Because I wanted to keep working on the Nandex!"

"And you are," Miranda crossed her arms. "I'm not dragging you into any danger."

"No," Luna sneered. "But now I know you're all sweet and honest, and brave and awesome and not just Warren's prissy kept housewifey..." She grit her teeth. "So now I have to care what happens to you and it's become a real pain in my ass."

Even though Luna seemed to be entirely serious, Miranda couldn't help but smile. She stood, winced, and crossed the room to give her a big hug.

"It means more than you know," Miranda said, squeezing tight. "I care about you too and there's no way I could do any of this without you, but I didn't come this far to settle for catching purse snatchers and scaring off car thieves."

"I know," Luna mumbled, half returning the hug. "You psycho fucking barbie doll...fine! I'll prep the belt and power gauntlets."

"Power gauntlets?" Miranda asked, releasing the hug.

Luna sighed dramatically. "Your gloves? Duh."

"I'm never calling them that," she replied, heading into the walk-in closet where she kept her superheroine gear.

The shimmery blue leotard was hung next to a picture of Warren. She took it down and pulled it on over the plain white thong she had on under her towel. The Nandex really did fit her perfectly, clinging to her hourglass figure, hugging the curves of her ass, even supporting her boobs almost like a sports bra. Every time she put it on, she felt a little closer to Warren again.

There was also a little dresser in the closet, with a collection of masks on top. Most were blue, some were white, a few different styles, but she preferred the blue domino. Pressing it onto her face and glancing in the mirror, Miranda grinned. She felt like someone different, as if the mask was what transformed her into...

"How about The Azure Orchid," Miranda said as she stepped back into the lab/office.

"Gross!" Luna dry heaved. "I hope you're not serious."

"What?" Miranda balked cheerfully. "We could add some floral print to the leotard." She returned to her seat and started putting on her blue and purple boots.

"Did you turn sixty while I wasn't looking?"

"Oh my gosh! Aren't I going to be the cutest little old lady?"

"You make the cutest everything, okay?" Luna rolled her eyes and groaned. "It's actually kinda fucking annoying. You were even a cute whore...that's probably why they saw through your stupid stupid plan last night, y'know."

Miranda chuckled and the brunette tossed her the power belt. She buckled it on and immediately the charge rippled over her skin as the Nandex calibrated.

"You're at half power," Luna groaned, tapping a few keys. "Don't waste it and don't take too long."

Miranda was already gone.

Chapter 10

The sun was just starting to set, casting Riverside in amber hues against a backdrop of purple fire. Miranda barely even took a moment to notice, even though she had the best possible view, soaring high over the city. She was focused on her destination, focused on the evening's mission. As she reached the 24th block of South Madison, she swooped down onto a building overlooking the alley with Suites's shabby little bar.

Well, I get what Luna was saying now, she thought as her heels scraped across the roof. The suit was flying much slower than usual.

Miranda looked over the edge, it was dark enough it might as well have been midnight in the alley already. She had come early hoping to catch them off guard, while there was no one around. None of the working girls were even out on the street yet.

Stepping off the roof, she noticed the drop was a little faster, the landing a little harder than usual, and her trepidation grew.

No doubt, no hesitation, too late to turn back now, she told herself.

The door was wooden, and locked, but she was able to use her Tactile Magnesis and pull the knob assembly apart. The door swung open and she stepped inside. There was no red light this time, the bar was dark. Passing the smashed wall, a smile tugged at her lips.

She moved slowly, as quietly as she could in high heels toward the door at the back of the room. Opening that, she was a little surprised to find a stairwell leading down into darkness. Her stomach twisted into a nervous knot, but she proceeded down the stairs.

I'm going to have to see if Luna can add lights to my gear... or I guess I could just buy a flashlight...that's not a bad idea, add a little utility pouch to my belt...I don't know why I didn't think of that before, hell that's basically Batman's whole super power... She rambled to herself to keep her nerves off the encroaching darkness.

At the bottom of the stairs was a block of cheap basement apartments. Her eyes adjusted slowly in the darkened hallway. There were three doors on the right, two on the left.

What are you up to down here, Shorty? Miranda immediately suspected the pimp owned, or at least rented, them all since his bar seemed to be the only access point.

As if in answer she heard a rumble of laughter from the behind the first door. She couldn't tell how many voices there were, but more than one. A nervous titter raced up her spine, but this was what she'd come for. Just as she was reaching for the handle, another noise drew her attention.

This one was soft, almost a whimper, not quite a sob.

It was answered by a harsh whisper. "Shut up." And then, "you want him to come back?"

It came from further down the corridor. Miranda moved to investigate, stepping lightly to keep her heels from clicking the concrete floor. As she reached the final door the sound became clearer: crying. It was hushed and muted, the kind of crying you do when you're afraid someone will hear.

This door was heavy duty, not like the others she'd passed. It was meant to keep something out, or maybe something in. Miranda tested the door. Locked. She pulled the knob assembly apart just as before. The room inside was a dank unfinished cement box.

Right away she noticed two vaguely human shapes crouched against opposing walls. There was a single light hanging down from the middle of the ceiling. Miranda shut the door and pulled the chain. Harsh white light blinded her for a moment. As her eyes readjusted, she recognized the two girls who had been with Suites the first night she was there.

They both looked up at her with wide tearful eyes. Their hands were bound in front of them with handcuffs, and thick chains connected to heavy metal I-bolts drilled into the concrete floor.

Miranda pressed a finger to her lips before either could make any noise. "Don't worry, I've come to get you out of here!" she whispered.

She rushed to the closest, who looked at her sadly with a red ballgag lodged in her mouth. The heroine winced at the sight and reached around to unbuckle the gag. The girl gasped and let out a reflexive whimper, quickly clasping both hands over her mouth.

"Superchick, superchick!" whispered the other one. "Keep her quiet! They gon' hear y'all!"

"You mean Shorty?" Miranda asked.

The metal bindings came apart easily thanks to her magnetic powers. She motioned for the girl to stay put a moment longer.

"Shorty and mister Crash both in that front room!" said the panicky girl. "They gon' hear you and come in here mad."

"I'm not scared of them," Miranda told the girl, making short work of her bindings. "Is there any other way out?"

The girl looked at her blankly, shaking and rubbing her wrists.

"Like another way out of the building," Miranda explained. "Or do we have to go through the bar?"

"There's a window," whispered the first girl. "In the room across the way, I seen it when-"

Miranda shushed her quickly. "Okay, good. If I get you in there, can you help each other through it?"

The girls glanced at each other and nodded.

Miranda went to the door, checking down the hallway. It was just as quiet and dark as it had been. She checked the adjacent door, it wasn't even locked. Sure enough, inside was a narrow basement window, leading up to the street. She went back and hurried the girls across. Miranda helped them pry the window open, and then they helped each other scramble up and out.

"Superchick, come on!" said one of the girls urgently.

"You guys get out of here," Miranda said. "I'm going to go make sure these two monsters never do this to anyone else!"

As if on cue, the sound of a door opening and shutting came from the far end of the hallway. Miranda motioned for the girls to run and they did.

"Y'all bitches done cryin'?" she recognized Suites's voice. "Y'all ready to have some fun 'fore mister Hammer gets here?"

"Oh yes," Miranda declared, stepping out into the hallway. "Only I'm not sure it'll be much fun for you!"

"Ah shit!" he exclaimed throwing up his hands. He was wearing the same leopard print vest, but no shirt this time, leaving his gaunt frame on display. "Superbitch wha'chu doin' here?" he shouted.

She put her hands on her hips and took a few steps forward. "I told you I'd be checking IDs, unfortunately I had to eject a couple of your guests."

"Fuck, you know what we get paid for them cute young ones?" he complained.

He continued backing away as she came closer. He seemed poised to dart back into that first door. Miranda crossed her arms and glared at the pimp.

"A lot more n' that ol' ho Paisley," he shouted smugly. "But not quite what we're gonna get paid for you!"

"In your dreams, scumbag!" Miranda said.

She had just passed the middle door when it burst open. Miranda barely had a chance to turn towards the flurry of movement as a short, broad shadow pounced on her! She squealed in alarm as the stocky figure shoved her against the wall.

Crash snagged her right wrist and was already reaching for the other. "I gotya this time, bitch!"

Miranda flailed desperately to keep him from grabbing her. She twisted just enough to clock him once with her reinforced gloves. Crash staggered and released her but didn't go down.

"Got you this time!" Miranda snarled, thrusting her hands against his broad chest to fire a repulsor burst.

Before she could, Shorty Suites caught her in a full nelson. His gangly arms snaked under hers then slithered behind her neck!

"Hey! Let go-"

"Quick, Baker-man!" the pimp shouted. "Get out here'n help!"

"Get off!" Miranda demanded, straining against the hold. She was a little surprised by how strong the lanky pimp seemed to be.

Baker emerged from the same doorway where Crash had ambushed her. He was dumping the contents of a small brown bottle onto a white rag. Sickly sweet fumes wafted towards Miranda. He looked at her, and she thought she saw a hint of remorse in his eyes. She thrashed a little more desperately, but Suites held her still.

"Hurry shithead put 'er out!" he growled.

The dealer reached for her face with the rag.

"No!" She reared back suddenly, kicking Baker's arm and knocking Suites off balance.

Miranda barely managed to slip free. In one fluid movement she spun between the two men, extended one hand towards each and unleashed dual repulsor bursts that blasted them in opposite directions down the hall.

Two big hands seized Miranda by the shoulders and slammed her into the wall again. She cried out as her lithe body smashed against the plaster. A familiar pain ripped through her injured ribs, taking her breath away. She was too stunned to resist as Crash grabbed a handful of blonde locks and pounded her head viciously into the wall. She slumped into his beefy arms, dazed and helpless as they coiled around her slender body.

"Hold that bitch, I gotchu!" shouted Shorty, scrambling for the rag.

Miranda was gasping for breath, squirming powerlessly as Crash pinned her arms to her sides. The next instant a damp rag clamped over her nose and mouth. The metallic fumes flooded her senses, filling her lungs and making her aching head spin.Shorty Suites leered down at her, holding the back of her neck and pressing the rag even tighter.

Miranda's stomach twisted as quick panicky breaths drew in more and more of the chemical. She couldn't calm herself. Already her strength was draining, and she struggled to concentrate through the fog filling her brain.

Must be... chloroform... she realized as the hallway darkened around her. This can't be happening! How did they...

She couldn't get her arms free. She could barely move at all. Miranda twisted and squirmed desperately, but weakly. Futilely. Crash had her trapped and she had no defense against the sickening acrid smell and coppery taste filling her mouth. Those powerful arms were constricting like a python, tighter and tighter the more she wilted into their grasp.

Miranda's arms went limp as the chemical overwhelmed her, her legs went slack. Darkness swirled in around the heroine, dissolving even the panic of being left helpless in the clutches of these dangerous men. With no way to resist, Miranda succumbed to the chloroform and let her eyes flutter shut as unconsciousness took her.