BOOK 4 - BIJOU

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Allister turned on his side and vomited. "Thank you." He wiped his mouth. "I thought I was going to die."

It had been close.

"What happened?" the man demanded.

"The red witch..."

The mage's man sat straight up. "How long ago?"

"Not sure." Allister's words slurred. "Few minutes?"

The stranger held up his arm, suffused in a white glow. "I'll be back." He rushed out.

Bijou darted down the stairs. Allister's head lolled. He looked like death. "Allister, open your eyes."

"Bijou?" He blinked. "There are so many of you."

"It's me. Blurred vision is normal after an injury like yours."

It was a pretty spectacular injury. Bijou wanted to be angry, but how could she? If someone kidnapped her, she'd smash skulls in, too. This red witch had only treated Allister as the kind of man he was pretending to be.

Allister lifted his hand to touch his head and winced.

"I couldn't repair all the damage. Doesn't look like that white magic helped much. You're going to have a headache for a while, and some bruising."

"The gold witch?" He sat up like someone had yanked a puppet string too hard, and moaned, closing his eyes.

"Don't move so suddenly." Bijou supported his back. "The woman who hit you took your car."

"The gold witch isn't well. She needs help. I have to find them. The car can be tracked."

"I can drop you off somewhere."

Allister started to shake his head, but thought better of it. "The gang mustn't see you. I have another car parked outside the property. In case I had to make a getaway."

"You shouldn't be driving after that blow to your head. Your vision is blurry. You might pass out."

"I can stay awake. I have to help them. I helped kidnap them, Bijou." His voice broke. "What am I turning into?"

Allister was not cut out for this. Bijou wrapped her arms around him. "They were already marked to be kidnapped. By the time you found out, you couldn't have prevented it."

"I tried to stop Dmitri. Keep him away from them." He pushed to his knees and rose shakily to his feet. "I've got to get out of here and find him."

"Let me drive you to your car." Bijou stood. "We can wait until you feel up to driving."

"No time. Dmitri will go after them. He has a thing for the red witch. Ever since she beat him, he's obsessed with her, and if he catches her again..."

Bijou wouldn't wish that fate on anyone. "Do you have some way to contact the others?"

He nodded slowly. "She took my phone, but I have a radio."

She blew out a breath. "All right. Radio them and say you've seen an intruder and were assaulted or something to make them suspicious. Direct them to me. You take my car. You're in no condition to fight. If you take another blow to the head right now, you could die. Do you understand me? This is not a time to be macho. Get out of here. I'll leave on foot and retrieve my car later."

"I'll leave it outside the north gate. You'll be okay? You promise?"

She offered him a cocky grin. "They're no match for me and Seeri."

The fairy blew a red bubble and popped it with thorns she drew from her thigh holsters.

Allister smiled, just a little. He accepted the car key and stumbled away, talking into a radio. Bijou waited for a few seconds and slipped out the window with Seeri. It wouldn't do to make things too easy for the guys coming after her. She chanced a quick peek around the corner to see if they were coming.

A big blond man approached the warehouse. His t-shirt stretched over a broad chest and thick biceps. He stopped, cocked his head to the side, and stared into the warehouse like he had x-ray vision. His eyes skipped to where she stood and caught her in a golden-brown gaze.

Something in Bijou opened -- a door she'd shut and bolted years ago, behind which she'd locked her happily ever after. A future she'd refused to let herself imagine or dream of played out in her mind. A partner. A family. The grandkids her mother always wanted.

No. This was no good. She did not have time for this. Her father's side of the family had magic. They always knew when they met the person meant for them. No way could she let Uwa know about this development. Her demands for grandchildren would skyrocket.

"Seeri!" Bijou hissed. "Get back here!"

The fairy ignored her and shot across the street to buzz around the big man. What was wrong with the crazy creature? Fortunately, humans didn't see fairies. When Seeri tired of her game, she'd come back.

But he saw her. He held out his hand, and the flighty fairy landed on his upturned palm.

Not human, then.

As long as he maintained his human guise, there were too many options for what he could be. Uwa would know if she was here. Her mother could tell at a glance what kind of monsters hid beneath their camouflage.

When Seeri returned a few moments later, she clasped tiny hands next to her cheek, tilted her head to one side, and heaved a huge sigh as she batted her eyes.

Bijou scowled. "Not one word, do you hear me? Not to Uba, and especially not to Uwa, or there will be no more gum of any flavor for you ever again. Got it?"

The fairy froze, mouth open, eyes wide in disbelief, horror, and hurt feelings. She whistled in an angry tirade.

Guilt stabbed at Bijou. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I know you can keep a secret." It was a matter of if Seeri would keep quiet. Annoying the fairy would only invite retribution. Bijou offered a piece of cherry gum as a peace offering.

Seeri accepted it, and perched on Bijou's shoulder, hurt feelings forgotten. Thank goodness the fairy was easy to placate.

Without thinking about it, Bijou directed her gaze back toward the big blond. He'd closed half the distance between them without making a sound.

Then there was no time to think about him, as the results of Allister's radio call rushed toward her.

CHAPTER FIVE

ZEKE

Allister left the warehouse clutching his head. He must be the one Ember hit with her helmet. Zeke winced. She didn't know he was working with the Ildum. Not that Zeke blamed her. Allister had helped kidnap her and Musette.

Zeke felt eyes on him. Not a threat, but the prickle on the back of his neck told him someone was studying him.

He stared at the warehouse. There were still two heartbeats heading toward the back. Who had Allister been meeting? An ally for his double-agent work? Traffickers? Mage minions?

Someone peered around the side of the warehouse. A figure wearing a hood blended with the shadow so well he couldn't make out gender or features. A flutter in his chest sent his hand to press over his heart. That was odd. His heart didn't beat -- nor would it unless he met his Dragă.

A small red shape flew toward him and flitted around his head, little wings buffeting the air near his face. He held out a hand, palm up. The fairy landed on his fingers. About a foot tall, she had bright red hair, a curved nose, yellow skin, and backwards facing feet. Red wings jutted from her back through holes in a black shirt that matched her leather pants and boots.

Armed with two green thorns in thigh holsters, a vine lasso, several sharpened sticks in a quiver between her wings on her back, and who knew what else in her multitude of zippered pockets, she was the most adorable commando he'd ever seen.

"Hello. What's a nice fairy like you doing in a place like this?"

The fairy's jaws moved rapidly, but no words came out. Instead, a bright red bubble formed on her lips and grew larger. It popped, wafting Zeke with the scent of cherries. He chuckled as the fairy took off to buzz around him again, then darted toward the figure in shadow.

"Friend of yours, huh?"

Must be part of Allister's double-agent work. A delicate creature like a fairy wouldn't last long among mage-touched men who craved magic.

Zeke found himself halfway to the mysterious figure when he stopped. A slew of heartbeats raced toward the fairy and her friend.

It wasn't often he fought with his fists nowadays, but he'd left his sword at home. Using vampire speed, he closed the remaining distance and sped past her to throw himself into battle.

An uppercut lifted the first man off his feet. Zeke seized a second man by the arm and swung him into the path of a third. It was too hard to keep track of individuals. The only ones not his foes were the woman in black and her fairy.

Zeke head-butted an assailant, blocked a punch, and lifted his leg in a front kick that sent more attackers flying. He took a fist to the cheek and a foot to his knee, ducked a knife thrust at his face, and sent a left hook into a stomach. Everything became a mix of fists, feet, and blades. He spun and threw a sidekick in one direction and an elbow in another. His back fist smashed into a nose with a crunch.

More men ran around a warehouse.

Then she was with him.

CHAPTER SIX

BIJOU

Her blond blurred past. Her blond? She had to stop that sort of thinking. Definitely not human. He didn't pull a weapon as he waded into the crowd of men coming to get her. So, it was to be fisticuffs. The muscles of his arms bulged nicely as he fought. She watched him work until more men appeared around a corner.

"Come on, Seeri!" Bijou laughed and ran into the fight.

An enormous hand reached out from the side and closed around her neck. She sent an elbow under his arm into his chin, snapping his head back. Spinning away, she blocked a punch with her forearm, lashing out with a front kick.

Bijou barely managed to rein in her joy and the full-throated war cry she'd learned from her aunt. A roundhouse kick took down one attacker. She ducked a punch and tucked into a forward roll, coming up between two more assailants. Back kick, punch to the solar plexus. She ducked a wild swing and dodged a knife swipe.

A man rushed her like she was a quarterback. She grabbed his shirt and fell backward, curling her legs between them and tossing him over her when she hit the ground.

Seeri's vine lasso hit eyes and fingers as she darted overhead. One man leapt and slashed at her with his knife, sending the fairy higher with a scolding squeak. She unzipped one of her many pockets and pulled out a red bag.

Uh oh.

Bijou sent another kick flying, and grabbed her blond's arm as he pulled back, yanking him from his fight. He resisted at first, but she pointed up. He took in Seeri's furious expression and her hand in the bag she held.

Wisely, he let Bijou tug him away.

A red powder so fine it was almost mist swirled from Seeri's hand, twisting through the air to surround the attackers left on their feet. They screamed as the grains landed on their skin. They would burn right before the powder put them into an unnatural sleep. One by one, they fell.

The battle was over, but Bijou's blood still ran hot. She couldn't deny her attraction to this man. With their enemies down and out for a while, she fixed on him as her next target. The possibility more enemies might show up at any moment made it even better.

His golden-brown eyes seemed a couple of shades darker now. He reached for her, but she put a hand on his chest. He froze, then backed up as she advanced, pushing on him. His back hit a wall. She pressed herself against his front and ran her hands up his t-shirt.

It wouldn't hurt to give in one time, would it?

She stretched her arms around his neck and pulled him to her, kissing his throat and, on impulse, biting the side of his neck. He growled, a sound that should have frightened her, but instead made heat coil within her. She lifted her head and met his lips with hers.

Slow at first, her exploration of his mouth quickened into a bruising possession. He met her demands, then took more, stealing her breath, and she wondered if maybe she was playing with fire that burned a little hotter than she expected.

He whirled, pressing her to the wall as he kissed her. The rolling strokes of his tongue along hers spread warmth through her, and with each breath, the pressure of his lips firmed. The kisses grew harder, deeper, and his hands stroked down her back, pulling her closer.

Bijou allowed his aggression for a few moments, then placed one of her feet behind his ankle. He let her push him away, as she'd known he would. Bijou didn't stop, overbalancing him and he went down. Eyes on him, she widened her stance and walked up his body, her feet outside his legs. He inhaled deep.

He was Other World. He likely had an enhanced olfactory sense. Could he smell how ready she was? When she reached his waist, she dropped to her knees and ran her hands over his abdomen. So many intriguing ridges and bumps there under his shirt. He lifted his hands, but she shook her head, and he replaced them on the ground.

Bijou leaned forward and kissed him again. She could do that for hours.

The earth shook, and an explosion lit up the night.

She jerked back and whipped her head around. Smoke trailed into the air a few roads from them.

Seeri flew in agitated circles, gesturing animatedly, pointing for them to get out of the area.

Ears ringing, Bijou leapt to her feet.

The man rose to his faster than he should have been able to.

"Okay.. that's... Be --" His lips moved, but the words were intermittent through the ringing in her ears. He waved at the smoke. "Plan, Be." He held out his hand.

What? She backed away, trying to interpret his words, and came up with. It's okay, that's the plan, Be.

Be. As in the first half of her name? How did he know her name? Did he know who she was? Had this been some sort of setup? How closely were they watching Allister? Maybe this man was like that incubus she worked with and that's what this attraction was. Not real. She hated to flee, but she whirled and ran.

His footsteps pursued her, but a ringing phone brought him to a stop.

Bijou put on a burst of speed. Seeri flew fast beside her as they sprinted through the warehouses, out the gate, and found her car. Her heart raced as she drove home.

MONDAY, DECEMBER 9

CHAPTER SEVEN

THE OBAYIFO

The Obayifo strolled through her forest domain. Skin the color of the darkest shadows clad only in the red glow of power emanating from her shoulders to thighs, she lit the predawn darkness as her aura reflected off the snow crunching under her bare feet and blanketing the trees.

Winter was cold this far north. Not at all like the more temperate climate of her native lands, across an ocean, far to the south and east. But this part of the world, steeped in potent magics, provided her favorite prey in new forms, so she tolerated the less favorable temperatures.

Children.

Delicious young ones with blood touched by a variety of magics. Shifter. Witch. Demon. Ghost. Djinn. Creatures of life, water, air, fire and earth magic. They all came to this area and the city to the west. And Underground... a place full of death, so quiet and still, perfect for her burgeoning army.

But her pursuer was closing in again. Over the last decade, Bijou had forced almost constant relocation, relentless in her chase.

Not as relentless as the Obayifo, though. This time, she would not run.

She stopped on a small rise and peered east toward the volcano.

Great magic lived under the mountain, but not the kind that interested her. It wasn't something she could use, though it bore watching in case it grew. At the moment, there was an unspoken truce between that magic and hers. A balance that could be upended if that other power increased.

Or when she finished creating her army.

For the last five days, wolves touched by the magic under the mountain had come closer. They'd never traveled so far before, respecting the mutual buffer between them for the year the Obayifo had taken up residence here in the forest. Creatures of magic recognized others of significant power.

She would have killed the wolves days ago, the first time they'd dared invade near her territory, except... they drove fairies before them.

Fae magic.

Flighty creatures, they were usually hard to catch on their own or when they were aware, but with the entire colony fleeing as they were now, they would be distracted. And she sensed the young ones. Their magical blood called to her.

The Obayifo ached to sink her teeth into that new magic. She glanced up. The asanbosams, her fanged children with their iron hooks for hands and feet, hung from branches, ready to pounce. Higher, the sasabonsams, her winged bat hybrids, perched, ready to swoop down on her prey. While vaguely humanoid, the addition of Fae magic would enable her creations to use glamour and change sizes. Then they could move easily among humans, bringing her even more children.

Fairies didn't tolerate iron well. A single touch weakened them enough to snare. Provided her soldiers could catch them.

The wolves didn't seem to be interested in the fairies. What they were after, she didn't know. Nor did she care, as long as they left her preferred prey alone.

If the wolves kept to their pattern, hundreds of fairies would fall into her trap today, and all she had to do was wait.

Wolves raced through the forest, paws thundering over the ground. Their howls, interspersed with screams and shouts from the fairies, sent the rest of the forest into an unnatural silence.

Hundreds of Fae, reflecting sunlight off their fluttering iridescent wings, rushed past the Obayifo. Some of them small, only inches high, others in their large forms -- six feet tall. Then came the wolves -- unnatural animals created by the magic under the mountain. The majority of the pack comprised white wolves with white eyes. A single black wolf ran with them, fur tipped with white. That one had a unique magic about him, but he was far from young, and unappealing to her.

Fae guardians wielded swords and fired arrows from bows. So busy were they fighting the wolves chasing them, they never saw her children in front.

The asanbosams dropped from their perches. Some caught tiny fairies in their iron hooks, and stuffed them into sacks. Others formed a line to block the wolves' pursuit. Her bats flew overhead, preventing escape that way.

The largest white wolf howled, and the rest of them attacked, slamming their bigger bodies into her children. Grunts, snarls, and the scent of blood filled the air as they fought, slashing with their iron claws and teeth, driving the wolves back.

Another howl sounded, this one not as deep. A hunting horn blared in response and a distant buzzing sound filled the air.

Someone else was invading her territory!

The buzzing increased until it roared like the ocean, and thousands of bees swarmed through the air

Her children shrieked, and the wolves yelped as the invaders stung noses and eyes. The sasabonsams fell from the sky and dropped the sacks they carried, spilling captives everywhere. Wings wilted, the creatures escaped and stumbled away on little legs.

"No!" The Obayifo gathered her power and freed her magic, letting her red energy burst from her in ropes. She snatched as many of the sacks as she could and retreated. Glowing red from shoulder to thigh, she formed a shield around herself and ran forward to grab another. Not all the fairies had escaped, but she didn't have as many as she should!

A tall, slim woman with green hair and orange eyes threw herself into the fray, alongside a golden wolf. The battle raged on three fronts as the remaining Fae guardians renewed their fights.

The golden wolf leapt at the asanbosams, knocking them to the ground, tearing at their throats.

The green-haired woman raised her hands. Unnatural vines broke through the snow to tangle around feet, and branches whipped through the air to strike at the sasabonsams, tearing at delicate wing membranes.

An asanbosam lashed out, slashing his iron hooks at the wolf. She yelped as bloody cuts opened, spilled red on her golden fur and the white snow beneath.