Bottle Kill Ch. 01

Story Info
Rye whiskey and a new case for the Team.
20k words
4.78
6.6k
8

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 04/02/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 1 - Prologue

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, February 1st, from the top of the building at the intersection of Riverside Drive and College Avenue, with Town & County Police Headquarters in her background. "The State Legislature has made no progress towards passing a Budget!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "As our viewers know, because there was no Budget passed for the fiscal year that began last July 1st, there can be no carryover spending after June 30th of this year unless a Budget is passed. And if a Budget is not passed by the deadline of March 31st, which is the end of the State Legislature's session, and signed by new Governor Sharon Marshall, there will be a total State Government shutdown. For more on this crucial Legislative session, let's go to political reporter Carl Lemay for more. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the slender, handsome black reporter, who was standing on the same roof as Bettina, but with the State Office Building on the other side of Courthouse Square as his backdrop. "Sources tell Channel Two News that all of the various factions within both political Parties are entrenched and unwilling to make any sort of compromise."

Carl Lemay: "The Black Caucus, led by State Senator Maxine Watts of The City and State Rep Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown, are holding firm on their demands to totally defund the Police. They insist that that demand be met because they achieve their goals if there is no Budget and therefore no State money for Police Officers in the 96 counties of the State and The City, and there is nothing they can be offered by way of compromise."

Lemay: "However, their position is losing influence, as polls among even Democrats are showing that defunding the Police is becoming less and less popular, and not even moderate Democrats want to risk political defeat by supporting it. However, those moderate Democrats are joining forces with an unlikely ally to oppose what they are calling the Governor's 'onerous and racist war' on hardworking Undocumented Workers."

Lemay: "Republican Governor Sharon Marshall is following her predecessor, deeply unpopular former Governor Val Jared, in insisting upon State funding for the State Bureau of Investigation-Immigration and Drug Enforcement (SBI-IDE) branch to assist the Federal ICE Bureau in rounding up and arresting Undocumented Workers and turning them over to the Feds for deportation. The funding the Governor is demanding would also be used to strongly enforce the law that all businesses based in this State or having employees in this state use the StateVerify® system to ensure that only legal employees are hired."

Lemay: "The Governor's demands are being countered by Establishment Republicans, led by House Majority Leader Wilson Hammonds of Pottsville, who are as vicious as any Democrat in calling Governor Marshall a 'hate-filled racist and White Nationalist' for her attempts to suppress what she calls 'Illegal Persons'. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has endorsed Majority Leader Hammonds and his positions supporting hardworking Undocumented Workers."

Lemay: "Other Legislators are making their own demands. State Senator Katherine Woodburn of our own 1st District has long sought to reinforce the power of the SBI over County Sheriffs and local Police Departments, and as part of that would strip all enforcement power over immigration issues, and restore the SBI-Narcotics Task Force (SBI-NTF) to its former status, with additional power over local jurisdictions."

Lemay: "Even though the Republicans hold slim majorities in both Houses of the Legislature, Senator Woodburn is Chairman of the Senate Budget Committee via a quirk in the State Constitution. As such, she has stated that she will hold up support for any Budget resolution until Governor Marshall names a new SBI Director after the previous Director, James 'Curly' Goodwin, resigned after winning the post of Inspector General in our Town & County."

Lemay: "But Senator Woodburn's demands are bitterly opposed by the Governor and many Republican legislators, whether Establishment or hard-right-wing Conservatives, who say Woodburn only wants a law enforcement entity that can suppress dissent and free speech in the State. Governor Marshall also stated that she 'invited' Town & County Police Commander Donald Troy to accept the SBI Director post, but the Iron Crowbar politely declined. Governor Marshall has set no timetable nor deadline on when she will name an SBI Director, nor will she say who she is considering for the post.

Lemay: "And finally, because of the Budget and other rifts, no progress has been made on bipartisan proposals to streamline the State's political structure by combining some counties and redrawing State political lines along more equal populations. Back to you, Bettina."

"Thank you, Carl!" Bettina said as she reappeared on the television screens of the Town & County. "That was our political reporter Carl Lemay with that excellent report. And in other news, the Town & County Police will be taxed to the max as several conventions and events are being held here simultaneously. The World Whiskey Tasting Championships and Convention will be at the Hyatt Hotel, and Channel Two News has learned that our County Sheriff Antonio Griswold is competing in it."

Bettina: "Other events in Town include the Regional Texas Hold'em Poker Competition, also at the Hyatt Hotel. And our University is proudly hosting a very prestigious event in Academic circles, the National Molecular Biology Conference, where the Nation and World's top Biology experts will be making important presentations, including some on the critical issue of Climate Change."

Bettina: "And speaking of events: today the Public Safety Department's branches of the Police, Fire Department, Emergency Medical Service, and Public Health Department will be having their Promotions and Medal Ceremonies. While many complain that the Public Safety Department, headed by Sheriff Griswold, gives out medals like candy, a number of awards are expected to be given out by those that responded to the Hazardous Materials incident..." (Author's note: 'Smoke On The Water', Ch. 01)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So how bad is it?" asked the Deputy Chief, Commander Tanya P. Muscone, as she, Sheriff Griswold, Chief Sean Moynahan, Police Commander Donald Troy (me), and Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle watched the broadcast and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

Sheriff Griswold replied "I have no idea, since Val left the Governor's Mansion at the start of the year." The Sheriff and the previous Governor were close friends, and had been for many years.

Teresa said "Todd's lobbyists are telling him that the 'defund the Police' group don't have the numbers nor the political power to really force their will upon the rest of the Legislature, and no one else has the stomach to not fund at least the basic supplemental needs for Police in the various counties like they always have." Teresa's husband Todd Burke was CEO of Bow Enterprises, an up-and-coming technology manufacturing firm with both State and Federal contracts.

Chief Moynahan drawled "What about our owwwwn State Senator, Katherine Woodburrrrn, holding up the Budget over the SBI. Mis-ter Crowbarrrr?"

I replied "An authoritarian SBI with totalitarian power over all of us has always been Katherine's lodestone. But even though she's the State Senate Budget Chairman, it's still a majority-Republican committee in a majority-Republican State Senate. So her (air quotes) 'threat' to force Governor Marshall to name an SBI Director, and one to Katherine's liking, carries no weight. And my contribution to the rumor mill is that the Governor is likely going to wait until a Budget is passed and signed before she names our next SBI Director."

"With the advice and consent of the Iron Crowbar." said the Sheriff, his stereotypically Italian, big curly handlebar mustaches twitching merrily.

"That would be nice," I said, "but since I turned down the post, Governor Marshall is not enthusiastic about listening to me..."

Part 2 - Celebrations and Remembrances

9:00am, Monday, February 1st. The weather was clear, but windy and very cold, so the Promotions and Medals Ceremonies were moved into the Police Headquarters gymnasium. Bleachers had been erected for the Police, EMS, Fire, and Public Health services to have a combined event. It was rare to have a combined event unless someone was being awarded the Medal of Valor, but the Sheriff had wanted to try it, and the first one of the new year was a good opportunity to do so.

The Public Health Service had been given the HAZMAT Teams when the Fire Department was given a Bomb Squad and the Police given a SWAT unit. And after the fentanyl-exposure incident (Author's note: 'Smoke On The Water', Ch. 01), a number of Certificates of Achievements and Achievement Medals were being given out to members of all of the various Departments.

February and August were the big promotions months, as well as the dates new Police Officers, Firefighters, EMTs, and Public Health personnel were sworn into service. The TCPD had six new Officers, the Fire Department four new people, and the EMS got two more EMTs. The first order of business was swearing them in, and their respective Chiefs did so.

Next came promotions. Sheriff Department Chief of Staff Cindy Ross performed that duty for the Sheriff's Department, as two Deputies and four Bailiffs were given promotions. The Police Department had some pay-grade promotions, and there was one 'big' promotion. Corporal Hicks finally had the time in grade, and I wasted no time in pinning Sergeant stripes on his uniform as the Chief read the proclamation.

In the EMS Department, 'Paramedic' is a rank equivalent to Sergeant. As the newly reconstituted EMS was growing, there was an opening for Lieutenant. It was being filled by Paramedic Ellen Brooks, who had earned the Medal of Valor the year before. (Author's note: 'Consequences', Ch. 04; 'The Whole Nine Yards', Ch. 03.) The Sheriff read the proclamation as EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell and Assistant EMS Chief Zoe Singer pinned Lieutenant bars on the shoulders of Ellen Brooks's uniform jacket.

Then came the 'candy'. A Certificate of Appreciation was awarded to seven-year-old Auxiliary Detective Carole D. Troy for her assistance in the State-wide identity theft cases. (Author's note: 'Smoke On The Water', particularly Ch. 02.). Chief Moynahan said "Accepting on Detective Troy's behalf is her father, Commander Troy, as Detective Troy is performing her assigned 'dooties' in her third-grade class-rooommm." Everyone applauded, and the Police Force cheered loudly.

Two of my Detectives received Achievement Medals. Vice Detective Joan Laurer, for her leadership in the identity theft cases that Carole had alerted her to, and MCD Senior Detective Teddy Parker for his role in both the fraud and hazmat cases.


After the ceremonies were over and everyone was dispersing, the Chief said to me "We are really making a Leap of Faith that the State Legislature will pass a Budget, and a Budget that fully funds us. Otherwise, it will become hard to equip our new Officers with the gear they neeeeeed."

"Yes sir." I said. "But we will find a way. We always do..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Before dawn, Wednesday, February 3rd. I was sitting on my knees, Japanese-style, before the grave of Police Corporal Peter M. Feeley. It was the anniversary of his death in the line of duty, murdered at the hands of the Black Widow and Traitor to the Badge, Angela Harlan. (Author's note: 'Case of the Black Widow', Ch. 05.) To this day, I still considered my failure to act in time to save him to be my worst failure.

Corporal Feeley had been engaged to Tanya Perlman, now Muscone, and he had died while she was pregnant with his son, Peter D. Feeley. I heard the sounds but barely registered in my mind that a car had pulled up. An instant later, little Pete Feeley was standing next to me.

"Hello, Pete." I said when I realized who it was.

"Hello, Mr. Crowbar." Pete said. "Please excuse me for disturbing you."

"You are not disturbing me. I'm glad you're here." I said. Pete went forward and put some flowers at the base of his father's headstone as I glanced behind me, expecting to see Tanya's van or Jack Muscone's vehicle. It was neither; Teresa Croyle had brought Pete to the Cemetery, and she was waiting by the car, watching us.

"My mom and Carole say that you blame yourself for my father's death. And they both say it was not your fault." Pete said. "And Carole says that's what drives you to always be right, and always act in time."

"Yes, that's all true." I said.

"Is that why you come here every year on the day my dad died?" Pete asked. Not cutting me any slack, he wasn't.

"I come here," I said, "to remember your father's life as a Police Officer, and to let him know that I'm still fighting for Justice for him and every Police Officer that has died in the line of duty."

"I'm going to do that, too." said Pete. "Carole says I'm going to be a Police Officer like my mom and dad. And I'm going to make my dad proud of me."

I felt a wave of emotion at little Pete's words. "I believe your dad is very proud of you right now, Pete. And if you'll be the best you can be every day to make him proud of you, I'll just have to be the best I can be every day, too. Deal?"

"Deal, sir." Pete said. We shook hands on the bargain. After a moment of further contemplation as the cold wind whipped around us, I stood back up and Pete and I made our way back to our vehicles, leaving Corporal Peter M. Feeley to continue his eternal watch over us...

Part 3 - Whiskey Valleys

12:00 high noon, Friday, February 5th. Sheriff Griswold and I went into the Irish Pub, a.k.a. the 'Cop Bar', for lunch. It was very busy, and I noticed that Detective Julia Rodriguez was waiting for a table along with a young woman that I observed to be a family relative. She was very short, about 5'0" tall at best, and the black plastic glasses she wore did not hide the fact that she was very pretty.

When Pops, the owner, came up to take me and the Sheriff to the back 'Command Room', I said "Julia, why don't you and your guest join us."

"Don't mind if we do, sir." Julia said happily, and they came with us. Once we were seated, she said "Sheriff, Commander, this is my cousin, Dr. Adriana Rodriguez. She's a research professor at the University of Utah and she's attending the Molecular Biology Conference at the University."

Julia: "Adriana, this is Sheriff Griswold, and this is my boss of bosses, Commander Don Troy. Commander Troy's degree is in Chemistry, and his wife Dr. Laura Fredricson is the Head of the Psychology Department at the University. And yes, Commander Troy is the one I told you about... he's the Iron Crowbar."

"Oh!" said Adriana. "Yes, I know who Dr. Fredricson is. And when Julia told me of your successes solving crimes, I guess I thought you'd be a lot older."

"I get that a lot, and I'll take it as a compliment." I said as I noticed the Sheriff's big, curly handlebar mustaches twitching merrily. "And you look very young for a professor, yourself. Are you speaking at the Conference, or just attending?" I asked.

"I'm actually part of a team working under Dr. Nick Prometheus." said Adriana. "He's giving a lecture, and he may or may not ask me to give part of it on some of our data."

Julia said "Sheriff, she's also here to compete in the World Whiskey Tasting Championships at the Hyatt Hotel. And she's going to have a livestream on her 'Whiskey Valleys' YouTube channel, raising money for Alzheimer's research."

"Ah, good." barked Our Sheriff. "I'm competing in the WWTC, also. And I'm glad to hear of your fundraiser. My wife had Alzheimer's when she passed, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know."

"I'm so sorry for your loss, sir." Adriana said. "Maybe I can talk to you on my livestream. We're selling raffle tickets for giveaways of donated bottles of whiskey, sample flights, and other prizes."

A 'flight' was a series of samples of whiskey that were tasted and judged. Sometimes a 'blind flight' would be done, where the composition and identities of the whiskeys would be deduced, or guessed at. The whiskey tasting championships were blind flights, with whoever doing the best moving on to the next round.

I said "Would you like a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23-Year to auction off?"

Adriana's eyes lit up at that. "Are you kidding?" she squealed. "That would be awesome!"

I said "My wife has several, and don't ask me how she gets them. But I'll get her to give one up for a great cause." And I proceeded to text my wife and put in the order... er, request... for a bottle to donate. Laura texted back agreeing to donate a bottle from her stash. I also made another text before returning to the conversation.

"So you're doing both the Biology Conference and the Whiskey Conference?" I asked Adriana. "That's a lot of fun for one week."

Adriana said "The Biology Conference starts this Sunday and goes through Wednesday evening, and all the lectures are during the day. All the whiskey events from Monday on are in the evening, so I won't miss anything, except while I'm at the Biology Banquet on Wednesday night."

Julia said "I've heard a rumor that they'll serve their biology samples for dinner at that banquet. I'd be careful about what's on my plate if I were there."

"Your jokes are even worse than mine." retorted Adriana.

"By the way," said the Sheriff, "most of the whiskey convention people are staying at the same hotel, but the TCPD is providing shuttle vans to other locations. We can do that for the Biology Conference if you need it."

"That's already taken care of, Sheriff." I said. I turned to Adriana and Julia and said "My Operations Officer, Lt. Commander Croyle, lost her sister to a drunk driver, and she has a bad attitude about them. So she and her husband's business are sponsoring the shuttles. And woe betide anyone that drinks and drives in this County on her watch."

Julia said "Speaking of the Police, sir: I'm going to give Adriana a tour of Headquarters. She graduated from South Carolina, so she'll feel right at home in MCD with our other SEC Detectives." I grinned, knowing Detective Teddy Parker was an Ole Miss grad, Detective Joanne Warner was an Alabama fan, and the aforementioned Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle was an Auburn fan.

"Your timing for your visit is off." I said. "You should visit in the Fall, when all the football talk starts up."

"SEC football has nothing on WhiskeyTubers." growled Sheriff Griswold. WhiskeyTubers were the community of people that made videos and livestreams about various whiskeys, mostly bourbons but also ryes and Scotches and more.

Sheriff Griswold continued: "But for all the banter, they're the most generous bunch of people you could ever want to know. Adriana here is doing her fundraiser, and others have done fundraisers for various things, as well. The biggest one I know of is when bourbon curator Fred Minnick teamed up with Wilderness Trail and a Kentucky Bourbon group, and they raised three million dollars for victims of those tornadoes that ripped through Kentucky and the Midwest." (Author's note: That is a true story, and yes, they raised $3 million for tornado victims.)