Break-In Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And that's my whole point." I said, working to keep my voice calm and level. "Assuming that his actions imply guilt or hiding something colors your thinking from that point on. And you'll begin to twist facts to suit theories, instead of the other way around. Don't get me wrong; I definitely have concerns about aspects of his story, especially the parts where he and his wife diverge. But his asking for a lawyer is not the reason anyone should be assuming anything sinister in his words or actions."

Joanne said "Sir, I understand what you're saying. But my point, beyond the business of getting a lawyer or twisting facts to suit theories, is this: what if Mr. Locklear is the one not telling the truth? What if he's lying?"

"What do you meeeeen, Mizzz Warner?" asked the Chief. I was not fooled; he was giving her cover in a backhanded way.

Joanne replied "Sir, what if Mr. Locklear did recognize his two business partners? What if he did know what was going on, and used it as an excuse to shoot and kill them? We do need to get more data, but maybe there was something going on in the business, or between him and his partners, and so he kept silent about his wife's plans, or maybe he did talk to her about it and is now saying he didn't."

"But they tied him up." replied Roark Coleman. "He couldn't anticipate getting out of his bonds. And once it was over and they revealed the scam... er, roleplay, or left without revealing themselves, the moment would be gone."

Joanne said "But they knew it was roleplay, and they thought the gun was unloaded. So maybe they didn't tie him up as hard as real home invaders would have, and he did work to keep some slack in the ropes when they tied him up."

"Okay, guys." I said. "That's something worth considering, and that's what makes this case a lot more than just a tragic accident. So... what are the two issues that I want to see resolved? One was sort of mentioned, by Roark as well as Joanne: Locklear's relationship with his business and his business partners, for lack of a better term, there. We need to dig deep, and find out what the state of that business was, if it was doing well or poorly."

I continued: "And Roark touched upon the second issue: I want to know the state of the Locklear's marriage, in much greater detail than we know now. I want to know if they had arguments, and what over. I want to know what their finances are like, the good and the bad. I want to know who they associated with, who their friends are."

Teresa piped up, mostly to cause 'trouble', but in a needed way: "Commander, do you think that this was not just a tragic accident, and that one or the other of them has committed a crime here?"

I replied "Excellent question, Commander. And I'm not going to answer it, at least not here and now. I want these excellent Detectives and their Leadership to answer those questions as if you and I weren't here."

I addressed everyone: "I'll help you guys as much as I can, of course, but I really am trying to step back and not micromanage you. So you guys come up with answers, and we'll go from there. Tomorrow. Well, later today."

"Sir, I have a question." said Roark Coleman. "Both Tom Maple and Chuck Hogue were married. Do we need to notify their next of kin, specifically their wives, tonight?"

Claire Michaels said "That can wait until morning... meaning after sunrise... can't it?"

Teresa was checking her Police iPhone. "I'm asking the Duty Desks at County Jail, the Old Mill, and here at Headquarters if there have been any calls about missing husbands from their wives. If so, we'll respond to those calls. Otherwise, they may be asleep and blissfully unaware."

Lt. Davis said "I'm just worried about the Press ambushing them, asking 'How do you feel about your husband being murdered?' like they like to do."

Captain Michaels replied witheringly: "How would the Press know their names? We haven't released anything yet, and it wasn't their house where the deaths occurred."

"That's a good point." the Chief said. "Perhaps it can wait until morning."

"Ohhhh, nooooo...." I groaned. As everyone looked at me, I revealed my insight: "Chief, when Commander Croyle and I got there, Bettina was well within the perimeter, and could have gotten the license plate of Tom Maple's vehicle in the driveway. So no, we can't wait."

Claire: "Sir, I know you hate the Press, but do you really think they'd get in these widows's faces before we notify them?"

Teresa said "Bettina would. Remember that Commander Troy is suing her and KXTC, and also remember that KXTC will do anything they can to embarrass the Police and harm our investigations."

I said "True that---"

*KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!* *KNOCK!*

We were all startled by the knock on the door. It opened to reveal the Duty Desk Sergeant, who said "Chief, ladies and gentlemen, we just got a phone call transferred from 9-1-1, from a Harriet Hogue. She said that someone called her and told her that her husband was dead, and she needed to call the Police about it. So she did."

"Who made the call to her?" I asked.

The Duty Desk Sergeant said "I asked her that, and she said the ID of the person said 'Blocked'."

"Thank you, Sergeant." I said. "If she calls back, or if Tom Maple's wife calls, tell them the Police will contact them shortly." The Sergeant acknowledged that, and left.

"Who in the fuck would do something like that?" Teresa asked angrily.

Jerome said "The Press have phone numbers that show as 'Blocked' when they call."

I replied "And so do the people in the District Attorney's Office. And we kicked Savannah Fineman off the crime scene right in front of D.A. Walters, and they were both furious. D.A. Walters probably wouldn't call them, but Savannah sure as hell would. And I saw her talking to Bettina after we kicked her off the crime scene."

"We need to move out, then." said the Chief. "I will personally handle one of the wives, and I'd appreciate it if Detective Warner goes with me. Captain Michaels, if you'll notify the other wife, and choose who you want to take with yooooo."

Claire said "I'll take... Theo." Theo nodded in agreement.

I said "Chief, I've heard the name 'Harriet Hogue' before. She's involved with the Ladies Auxiliary, and is a large influence on a number of charity drives. If I may recommend that you personally notify her..."

"Yezzz, good ideaaaa." drawled the Chief. "And we'll record our interviewwwws. In the meantime, the rest of you go hommme and get some sleeeep. We have a busy day to-mor-rowww."

"And we also need to hit Maple & Hogue and secure their papers tomorrow... after we get a warrant, of course." I said...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As Teresa and I drove home, she said "Captain Michaels really stood up to you tonight, especially defending Joanne Warner."

"And that's okay." I said. "I understand what they're saying, too. But like I said to them, it's very important to not let that take us down the wrong path. And to that path... what do you think about all this?"

Teresa said "I think Stanley Locklear did exactly the right thing asking for a lawyer before giving his statement. Otherwise, I suspect that several of our Detectives would already be digging a grave to bury him in. Joanne absolutely believes Mrs. Locklear and not Mr. Locklear where their stories diverge, and she did come close... damn close... to twisting facts to suit her predilections."

"Good observation." I said. "It's a fine line, though. I thought Joanne's use of her imagination to mentally test the idea that he's lying was okay, and she's not wrong about the possibility of it. And as long as she changes her ideas to suit emerging facts, and doesn't dismiss some facts and cherrypick others to suit her ideas, then I can't fault her for thinking that way."

"And speaking of thinking certain ways... what are you thinking, sir?" Teresa asked. "And I'm not asking in order to use you as a crutch. 'Enquiring minds' really want to know."

I chuckled and said "I'm still waiting for data to come in. There's something about all this nagging at me... but I'm not sure what it is yet..."

Part 10 - Notifications

4:15am, Sunday, June 6th. The home of Chuck and Harriet Hogue was in a subdivision not far from the Locklear's home on the north side of Town. As Senior Detective Joanne Warner and Chief Sean Moynahan drove along the street in Joanne's POV (privately owned vehicle), they saw the KXTC van parked down the road, watching over the Hogue home.

Chief Moynahan said "I'm beginning to bee-lieeeeve what Commander Troy says about those bastards of the Press. Call for a couple of Uniformed patrols to (air quotes) 'distract' them."

Joanne got on the Police radio and called for the two Police patrols that just happened to be patrolling right in that area. Less than 30 seconds later, the two Police cruisers drove past Joanne's car. When they got to the Press van, they turned on their blue lightbars. The LED lights as well as the spotlights were blinding.

As the Uniformed Officers forced the cameraman/driver and 'cub' reporter out of the car, and harangued them for loitering on a neighborhood street, Joanne parked her car in the Hogue's driveway. She and Chief Moynahan were wearing their Duty Dress jackets with 'boxes', i.e. metal-bordered ribbons. They knocked on the front door of the home.

The woman that answered the door was striking in appearance. She was tall at 5'10", and while Marla Locklear was shapely but fleshy, Harriet Hogue was just large. Not fat, but by no means athletic. Her hair was styled relatively short, but not a 'lesbian short' haircut by any means; it could be described as a 'shock' of hair. Her face was certainly not ugly, not like the Wicked Witch of the West; indeed, she was somewhat attractive. But it was a 'stark' face, and along with her large, penetrating eyes, it produced a sense of intimidation.

Joanne and the Chief also felt the woman's aura of domination as she said "Yes?"

"I'm Chief Moynahan of the Town & County Police, ma'am, and this is Detective Warner." said the Chief. "Are you Harriet Hogue? And did you call us?"

"Yes, I did." said Harriet Hogue. "Is my husband all right?"

"That's why we're herrrre." drawled the Chief. "May we come in for a moment?"

"Uh, sure." said Harriet. She let them in and had them sit down on a sofa in the greatroom, and she took the rocking chair to their side. "Is my husband okay? Did something happen to him?"

"If I may ask, ma'am," said the Chief, "is there a reeee-son you think your husband is in trouble, or in dangerrrr?"

Harriet said "Well, he said he was going out with his friend Tom Maple, who is also his business partner. He didn't return home by eleven p.m., so I texted him and got no answer. Then I tried to call him, and his phone went to voicemail. Then I tried to call Tom, and his phone also went to voicemail. I thought they might be in a cellphone dead zone, so I tried not to worry about it."

Harriet: "But then about an hour and a half ago I got a phone call from someone that showed up as 'Blocked'. The person on the line said that my husband had been murdered, and that I should call the Police about it. Then she hung up. I tried pressing the callback button, but it wouldn't go through."

Joanne asked "You said 'she'? The voice was a woman's?"

"Yes. A woman's voice." said Harriet. "It sounded... metallic... like it was being spoken into a microphone that reverberates. But it sounded like a woman, to me. So... about my husband? Is he okay?"

"We are looking into that nowwwww." said the Chief. "You said he went out with his business partner, Tom Maple? Was that for a business dinner? A party?"

"I'm not sure." Harriet said. "Chuck was vague about it. He said only that they were going (air quotes) 'out', and that it was business-related. But he wouldn't say anything further despite my asking about it. He usually tells me what's going on, so I was surprised when he wouldn't talk about it."

"Since your husband did share with you," said the Chief, "let me ask this: he and Mr. Maple were friends as well as business partners? Did they associate often away from the job?"

"I would say so, that they were friends." said Harriet Hogue. "But Chuck spent his evenings with me. He and I would go out to dinner with Tom and his wife Tia from time to time, but Chuck doesn't play golf like Tom does, and Chuck is not a social butterfly like Tom is."

The Chief asked "What about their partner, Mr. Stanley Locklear, I believe his name is?"

Harriet's face turned a shade disdainful as she said "Oh, Stanley is not a partner with them, he's just an employee. He was being considered for a partnership, but Chuck said recently that they had not only decided not to offer Stanley the partnership, but they were considering terminating his employment with them."

Joanne: "They didn't get along with him?"

Harriet: "It's not that they didn't get along, but Chuck said Tom told him that the style of advertising that Stanley did was outdated, and that they should make a clean break with him---" She stopped, then said "But what does that have to do with my husband tonight? What's going on? Is Chuck okay?"

Joanne said "If we may just ask a couple more questions---"

"No you may not!" Harriet said angrily, her face becoming red. "Not until you tell me what is going on. Where is my husband? What has happened to him?"

The Chief tapped Joanne's forearm before she could say anything, then he said "I am sorry to tell you, ma'am, that your husband was shot and killed last night---"

"What?! Oh my God!" Harriet cried out. Tears burst from her eyes and her hand went to her mouth. "What... what happened?"

"We're trying to determine exactly what happened, ma'am." said the Chief. "Is there anyone we can call for you? Your pastor? Family?"

"Just tell me what happened to my husband!" Harriet gushed. "How was he shot? Who shot him?"

"We are trying to get those details, ma'am." said Joanne. "I am sorry for your loss, and I know this is a hard time, but if I can ask you a couple more questions, it will go a long way to help us figure this out."

"What questions?" Harriet snapped bitterly.

Chief Moynahan broke in, and said: "First of all, that phone call you ree-ceeeeeved. If we can access your cellphone or at least get your number, we might can determine who called yoooo." Harriet gave her cellphone's number, but made no move to get her cellphone.

Joanne said "If I may ask, how well did you know Stanley and Marla Locklear? Were you friends with them?"

The look of grief on Harriet's face was tinged with anger as she said "No, I cannot say we were friends. Stanley was okay, he was a decent guy, although he was not a strong, outgoing man like Tom Maple is. Marla, though, was... well, I don't want to call her a 'bitch', but she just rubbed me and Chuck the wrong way. She... well, she just wasn't very likable. Does she have something to do with this?"

"Again, ma'am," said the Chief, "we're trying to find out what happened in connection with your husband's death." He got up, then said "We'll let you know what we find in the coming hours and days. We're going to have to ask you to identify your husband's body, but that can wait until the Coroner is ready for you. Again, I'm sorry for your loss."

With that, the Chief led the way out the door and to Joanne's car. The KXTC van was gone, as were the Officers that had made a point to make the filthy journalists unwelcome.

As Joanne drove the car back to Headquarters, she said "Chief, can I ask a question."

"You may ask, De-tec-tive..." the Chief said, meaning it humorously.

Joanne: "Sir, I know Commander Troy thinks I suck at interviews, and I'm trying to get better at it, so I was watching the way you talked to Mrs. Hogue. Why did you tell her som quickly that Mr. Hogue was dead?"

Chief Moynahan: "Commander Troy thinks highly of you, which is why he's harsh to you about your interviewing techniques; he wants you to be the best you can be, to paraphrase that old Army commercial. As to why I decided to tell her, you may have noticed that she began shutting up, and wasn't going to answer any more questions. So trying to string her out wasn't going to work, and at that point I decided to go ahead and tell her. Soooo, what did you learrrrn from that interview?"

Joanne said "That Mr. Locklear may have had a motive to kill his business partners... or his bosses, according to Mrs. Hogue. If they were going to cut him out, fire him, especially if they had told him earlier that they would make him a partner? That might be the 'why' for what happened last night."

Chief Moynahan: "Anything else? Abouuuut...Mrs. Locklear, perhaps?"

Joanne winced a bit, then said "Mrs. Hogue didn't like her."

"Yezzz..." said the Chief. "And that may be... an important cluuuuue..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile...

Captain Michaels and Detective Theo Washington drove up the road in Claire's POV to the River Valley subdivision, which was near but not quite as exclusive as the Heritage Cloisters subdivision north of Town.

"How do you like working with Roark Coleman?" Claire asked almost as soon as they left Headquarters. Theo was instantly on his guard.

"May I speak freely, ma'am?" Theo replied, which meant he would not get in trouble for what he said, no matter how insubordinate Claire considered it to be.

"Why do you need to ask that?" Claire said. "It's a simple question."

"Because, ma'am," Theo replied, "you're not going to like the answer."

"You really think I'm going to jack you up over an honest answer?" Claire asked, genuinely astonished.

"Again, ma'am, may I speak freely?" Theo asked.

After a pause, Claire said "No, you may not. We have a mission to complete. We'll talk about this later. And Detective... I consider your failure to answer my question to be insubordination."

"I want a Union Rep." Theo immediately replied...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The drive was silent and frosty until they arrived at the gates of the subdivision. "New fencing." said Theo. "I don't think there was any when Commander Troy solved Anthony Warner's murder." (Author's note: 'The Swap') "But after the riots last year, they put in these fences."

Claire Michaels said "And there's the KXTC news van, right outside the gate. I'm beginning to think Commander Troy might be right about those people."

Theo said nothing in reply, but pulled out his Police radio and asked for the Patrol cruiser that had been following them to come up and interdict the Press van.

"What?" Claire gasped. "We have a patrol following us?"

"Yes ma'am." Theo said. "You're a Police Captain, and Commanders Troy and Croyle sent them to make sure you don't get ambushed. They did the same thing for the Chief."

"Wow, are they really that paranoid?" Claire asked, more to herself than Theo.

"Like the Sheriff says, ma'am: it ain't paranoia if they really are out to get you." Theo replied. "And seriously... Commander Troy thinks of things like that. We love him because he takes care of his people."

Claire scowled, thinking that was a shot at her. But she didn't have time to think about it as she drove up to the guard gate. The guard inside was asleep. She got out her Police iPhone, looked up a number, and dialed it. The phone inside the guard gate rang, jarring the guard awake. And then he noticed the car at the gate.

"We're closed." he barked grumpily after opening the window. "If you don't have a keycard, you can't get in until 8:00am."

Claire flashed her badge. "Open the goddamn gate and let us in. If I have to get out of this car, you're going to jail."

"You don't have to be snippy and threaten me." the guard said. He pressed the button to open the gate. But Claire did not go through it.