Break-In Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Penny: "We got some good info on their finances from Stanley's computer as well as bank records. Their financial fortunes have ebbed and flowed with Stanley's employment and then his business success. They have a mortgage on their home and loans on their cars. They have a joint bank account, but Marla opened a separate account in only her name only last September. Then Stanley opened an account in only his name in April of this year. They pay all their bills out of the joint account, though."

Penny: "Okay, this is what I have for Maple & Hogue. Tom Maple started it up a little over six years ago, and brought in Harriet and then Chuck Hogue almost immediately. Three years ago, Stanley Locklear's name appeared on the employee records, indicating when he came into the firm. They did better each year than the year before, until this past year, when it fell off some from the year before. And like I said earlier... the finances are complicated. I've got some digging to do to figure out exactly what's going on. And beyond the widows's stating Locklear is not a partner, while he and Marla were saying he was, that's really all I have for now."

Teresa said "Good report, especially with less than 24 hours after the deaths, and virtually no human intelligence, meaning interviews with people. And that's what you'll need to do next: interview the Locklears and the widows again, and this time with a better idea what questions to ask. Anything you want to add, Commander Troy?"

I said "Do we have anything from the cellphones, from Stanley and Marla's computers, or from the evidence in their home?"

Mary Milton replied: "Yes sir. The video from the videocamera is in evidence, and shows everything that happened, including tying up Stanley, the sex with Marla, the shooting, and Stanley taking off their masks. Then the video stops; apparently Marla turned off the camera."

Mary: "Stanley's computer was seized, but it's password protected, and Stanley's lawyer told Stanley to not consent to an examination of it, at least not yet. Ditto that for his cellphone. Marla has also not consented to her cellphone being examined."

I said "Okay, then. I have just a couple of things. First, come to Commander Croyle before trying to obtain any warrants. She'll drag me or the Chief in, if necessary, but I have a nagging feeling that only the top Leadership should be talking to Judge Doss about this case. If you do find probable cause, she's still going to be grilling us about it, and I'd rather her torch my fourth point of contact than any of yours."

"And second," I continued, "I have confidence in all of you guys; that's why you're in MCD. I have confidence that you will get to the truth, whether that truth is that this is a tragic accident or a brutal crime. Trust your training, and trust your instincts, too."

"Okay," I finished, "I have the once-in-a-lifetime occasion of my son's seventh birthday party to attend. The only reason I should be called into Headquarters again today is if you find a nuclear bomb in the County---"

"Not like that's ever happened in this County before." quipped Teresa. Everyone chuckled, though nervously...

Part 13 - The Romulan Way

1:00pm, Sunday, the Sixth of June. The Usual Suspects were trickling into The Cabin for Jim's seventh birthday party. Of course his brothers and sisters were there: Carole, Ross, Ian, and Tasha, with their parents. His cousins Doug, Mike, and Jack Burke, and his older cousin Todd were in the House, and of course Teresa was, too. Jim's cousins Dan and Patricia Allgood also showed up, accompanied by their parents, Mayor Daniel and Melina Allgood. And Marie Steele was present and accounted for, along with her mother and sister, Stephanie and Selena Steele, respectively.

Sheriff Griswold had come from Police Headquarters to The Cabin with me. Teresa had followed half an hour later with her band of boys, young and old(er).

Cindy arrived right at 11:00am, accompanied by Betsy and baby Ben... and Callie. It was Callie's first real outing since she'd been wounded in the attack by a demented Environmentalist Wacko (Author's note: 'Climate Injustice', Ch. 04-05.). While Carole and Marie took possession of baby Ben, Jim met Callie at the door... with flowers.

"These are for you." Jim said to Callie. "To make you feel better as you get better."

"Awwww." Callie said with a lovely smile. "That's so sweet of you! We're supposed to be giving you gifts, not the other way around."

"That's okay." Jim said as he took Callie's hand and led her to the greatroom, and had her sit on the sofa that faced the back wall/window, and its magnificent view of the Town. "Can I get you something to drink? Or a pillow to make you more comfortable?"

"I'm fine for now." said Callie. "What I need is for my boyfriend to sit next to me so I can give you a hug." Jim did so, and was rewarded with a hug. Cindy had sat down to Callie's right, and Callie said "I need this kind of being waited on at home, by my own wife."

Cindy said "Yezzz. I see that I'm being shown up by a Troy boy."

"Nothing new, there." said Teresa cattily, causing Cindy to whirl her head and give her BFF a 'look'. Teresa's eyes glinted and what was a smile for her appeared on her face.

"No, Cindy's been great." Callie said. "It's been harder on her than it's been on me."

"How is your shoulder healing?" Selena Steele asked.

"It's more my deltoid and back." said Callie. "And it's been a slow healing process. Laura and Teresa had injuries like these to some degree, and they've been helpful with tips and ideas, but my deltoid didn't heal up as well as they'd hoped. They almost went back in and did another surgery, but in the end decided not to."

"Where's Betsy?" Cindy asked, looking around.

"Outside." Carole replied as she held baby Ben in her lap. Ben was big enough to be sitting up and looking around at everything. We all looked out the glass window, and saw Tasha and Betsy on the other side, sitting on the deck, and surrounded by cats that were rubbing them as they petted the feral felines...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We had decided to have Jim open gifts first, in case the Sheriff, Teresa, and/or I were called in to Police Headquarters again. He got a good haul, and the majority of it was Army related.

He got one book about the history of the 82d Airborne Division that was mostly pictures, and one book I'd had in the military about World War I battles. Jim also got several games, from the old favorite Risk, to a wargame based on Gettysburg, and another based on the Battle of France in 1940.

And during 'Airborne Day' in the Town & County a short time before (Author's note: 'Jump!'), I was able to get a poster of the 250-ft. towers at Ft. Benning, GA in the twilight autographed by most of the jumpers, including Admiral Leonard R. Cordell, as well as the Army Chief of Staff, General Alexander McFarland.

Laura had taken a photo of Jim and General McFarland, and had it blown up to an 8x10, and framed it with the General's Challenge Coin that General McFarland had given Jim (he also gave Carole, Sheriff Griswold, me, and Julia Rodriguez coins). Jim pretended to be impressed, but it was the box of good old-fashioned plastic toy soldiers that would find themselves on the battlefield of the woods behind The Cabin that he liked the most.

Lunch was hamburgers, hot dogs, fixins, as well as salads and loaded baked potatoes for many of the adults. I got laughs out of the boys when I remarked that the food must be disappearing into their hollow legs. To this day I don't know why that tickled their funny bones like it did, but it did.

When lunch was over, the boys went to war... with the plastic soldiers. New Lego City and the mighty Troy Transcontinental Railroad were in great danger of being invaded by Jim's Napoleonic forces, but Ross's Canadian(!) forces set up a sterling defence. And in the front room on the video screens, little Jack Burke's Romulan Star Empire was successfully invading the Federation, wiping out Ian Troy's Starfleet along the way.

As the adults fluttered like parakeets and gushed over baby Ben in the greatroom, the Sheriff, Teresa, and I slipped out onto the back deck. Cats scattered to safety, and watched us warily from around the corner of the house, and Gracie eventually walked along the rail of the deck to where it jutted out, and sat down to watch us hoo-mans.

"I have a question." Teresa asked me. "Why did you put me in charge of this case in your stead? I can understand you wanting to back off and not micromanage, but why not just let Captain Michaels run with the ball?"

I replied: "Several reasons, mon ami. First, I want you to observe how the Detectives do, how they interact with each other as well as perform their investigation. Second, I want you to evaluate Captain Michaels and her Lieutenants Three, keeping in mind that technically Mary Milton still answers to me directly."

"Third," I continued, "I have something else I want and need to work on, a cold case of sorts, and I need some time to make it happen. And fourth: for your professional development, Iron Wolf... for the day I might not be here, be it via voluntary or forced retirement, or more... permanent means. If I'm gone, you'll be the Police Commander, and while I know you say that if I go you will go, I know you would stay on long enough to be the bridge between me and the next generation to step up."

Teresa said "So Captain Michaels asking to replace Lieutenant Davis isn't the reason?"

I said "It's not the reason, but part of the reason. I want you to evaluate what's going on."

Then I pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to her. "Y'all look at this. These are my 'edumacated' but wild ass guesses of some of the situations with this case, including how some of these people may know each other and ended up with the same company, as well as the interpersonal relationships between some of them."

As Teresa and the Sheriff read my bullet points, I said: "Don't tell the Detectives any of that yet; I want to see if they can figure it out for themselves. If they don't, we can come in and tell them. But if they don't, my disappointment with their performances will not be understated."

Teresa said "I dunno, sir. I didn't see any of this, and I dunno if anyone but you would see it.... certainly not as quickly as you have."

Sheriff Griswold said "Let's give them a day or two, after their interviews with the Locklears and the widows. We'll see what they find out."

Teresa said "Don, are you sure we shouldn't tell them this before their interviews? This would give them a lot better idea what to ask."

"We can go back and ask later." I said. "I'm very interested in what the interviewees are going to say without being (air quotes) 'prodded' with these WAGs (wild ass guesses)."

Teresa nodded, then said "We're sure spending a lot of time investigating a case that likely is going to turn out to be self defense and mistaken identity."

"Vee shall see." I said in my 'German' accent. "Vee shall seeeee..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, Laura, Stephanie, and Callie were at the small breakfast room table in the back of the kitchen, having a discussion of their futures.

"Yes," Stephanie said, "I met Dr. Moore at the post-Graduation Faculty reception last week. He said all the right things, especially about promoting my work for a Nobel Prize. But I didn't get much of a read on him. He was talking to everyone for a short time, and his aides were telling him who people were, so he may just have been mouthing niceties."

Laura said "He's still getting his footing, and figuring out the lay of the land. He told me he wanted to talk to me and the other Department Heads soon, but other than that, it was as innocuous as things could be."

Stephanie said "Laura, I just have to ask this. Is it true you don't have any more graduate students under you?"

Laura said "Yes, it's true. I didn't take on any more for the next School year when I told the Governor I'd accept her nomination for the University Presidency."

Callie became visibly disquieted. She asked "What about research projects?"

Laura knew Callie was asking more about Callie's own job than anything else as she said "Most of those are being finalized and wrapped up, especially the ones for the 'Company'. That grant money was ending, anyway, and no, it wasn't the current Swamp Frogs in Washington that stopped it; the projects were scheduled to end."

Laura said "But don't worry, Callie. I'll have things for you to do for at least the next School year, and no matter what happens, I'll find something for you."

Callie said "I'm not worried about the job or the money. It's just been fun helping with the sex research. It'll be sad if that ends."

Stephanie was beginning to catch on. She said "Laura... are you staying on at the University? As Head of the Department of Psychology?"

Laura hesitated a moment, her eyes telling her fellow professor to steel herself, then said "I don't know. I'm exploring my options. I could transfer to the Medical School, teach gynecology. I could give up being the Department Head, and just be a Psychology Professor. Or... I can walk away from it all, set up a private practice in gynecology, or psychology..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we came back in from the back deck, we found a gloating Jack Burke and an almost-crying, demoralized Ian Troy in the front room. The Romulan Fleet's destruction of Starfleet had been as comprehensive as Joan Laurer's run through all opposition in the recent Police Boxing Matches. The Police Boxing Matches had needed a Crowbar (Red or Green); this game needed a Klingon Fleet, and the Sheriff provided it.

"Alright, you young whippersnappers," the Sheriff said, coming around the sofa and picking up the third game console, "let's step up your games." Jack Burke coded in the three-way option, and the mighty Fleets prepared for battle!

And in one of the most stunning results that my eyes had ever seen, the Romulan Fleet tore apart the Klingon Fleet as well as Starfleet. Jack Burke's play was unbelievable, and soon a number of us adults were watching the video carnage.

"Daddy, Jack is cheating." Carole said to me.

"I am not!" Jack yelled. "Mind your own beeswax, Carole!"

I said to Carole "Exactly how is Jack cheating?"

Carole replied "I'm not sure. But he is."

I had Carole come with me to the stairs going upstairs, and I sat on them and had her sit with me. I said "Carole, this is like being a Police Officer. You just can't accuse Jack of cheating unless you have something to back it up, some evidence, some proof. So why are you saying he's cheating if you don't have proof?"

"Because he knows he's cheating." Carole said simply.

"All right, but let this be a lesson for you as a Police Officer." I said, reinforcing my earlier words. "It's not enough to know. You have to prove it, and to a Jury." And those words would have the correct effect on the Future Iron Crowbar, and guide her actions far into the future.

Her actions in the present surprised me, though. She went upstairs, not back to the main rooms...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The crowd watching was now large and loud as little Jack Burke conquered Earth and then blitzed Kronos, destroying the last of the Klingon Fleet as it desperately tried to save its homeworld. The video game said loudly "It's the Romulan Way!".

The Sheriff was looking pretty stunned that he'd been so completely defeated in video combat. He was about to get up when Carole and Jim rushed down the stairs and up to him, and began whispering in his ear. Then Jim showed him something on my iPad, which they had 'borrowed' (more like 'pilfered'). The Sheriff's mustaches quivered as he smiled.

"Encore une partie?" Jim said to Jack Burke. Now how did he know French? I wondered to myself.

"Sure, if you want to get beat down, too." Jack replied. The Sheriff relinquished the controls to Jim, who began tapping buttons on his console based upon what Carole was showing him on the iPad.

The game began, and it was a much closer fight. Jack was still damaging Ian's Starfleet, so Jim told Ian to hold the perimeter while Jim took the Klingon Fleet into battle with the Romulans. Losses were heavy on both sides this time, but Jim's engineering and military mind, inherited from both his parents's families, conceived battle plans that were beginning to win the day.

"Ah, I see what's going on." I whispered to Sheriff Griswold as we watched from behind them. "Jack found a secret code that allows Romulan ships to fire while cloaked. He was keeping cloaked ships next to visible ones so that you couldn't see there were two of them firing simultaneously. And now Jim and Carole have given the power to the Klingons."

"Not much gets past you, Crowbar." the Sheriff muttered, his mustaches twitching some more. "Nor Carole and Jim, it would appear. So... is that cheating?"

"I'd say it's good intel, and excellent gameplay on Jack's part." I said. "And it proves Jack is just like his daddy... both Romulans to their very souls." And that was not a compliment, the Sheriff knew as he nodded vigorously in agreement.

Jim had Ian bring Starfleet into the battle to roll up the flanks, and the Romulan Star Empire was soon utterly crushed. As the boys and girls in the room cheered, Jack was looking daggers... at Carole. "I told you to mind your own business." he said venomously to her.

"What are you gonna do about it?" Carole shot back, taunting Jack.

"Not a darn thing, if you know what's good for you, kiddo." said Teresa to her adopted son Jack, quickly intervening. "Take your loss like a man. Now let's all leave the game alone and go have some ice cream together..."

Part 14 - The Case In Earnest

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, June 7th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the background. "The TCPD investigates a case of vigilantism!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that Stanley Locklear shot and killed his two business partners, Tom Maple and Chuck Hogue, at Locklear's home Saturday evening. He is claiming that he shot them in self-defense, that they invaded his home wearing masks and sexually assaulted his wife Marla."

Bettina: "But his story differs substantially from that of his wife. Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more on this developing story. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" yelled the athletic blonde reporterette from outside the Police crime scene tape around the Locklear home. "Channel Two News has learned that Stanley Locklear's wife Marla had arranged a fantasy roleplay with the two victims, for her husband to watch her with them. Instead, he shot them dead."

Amber: "Locklear refused to answer questions at the scene as Police investigated the incident. And Channel Two News had learned that Locklear is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association, and has taken NRA personal combat classes. He owns several firearms, including the one he used to shoot Tom Maple and Chuck Hogue."

Amber: "Mr. Maple and Mr. Hogue were the primary partners of the business solutions firm Maple & Hogue. Sources tell Channel Two News that Stanley Locklear was being considered for partnership in the firm, and a motive for the crime could be that he was subsequently denied the partnership. Locklear has not yet been formally charged in the incident, but the Police investigation is ongoing. Back to you, Bettina!"

"Thank you, Amber!" Bettina said as the feed returned to her. "That was trusted reporter Amber Harris with that important breaking story! And in other news, BigPharmaCorp, the second-largest employer in the County after the University itself, faces a strike by its unionized employees! Let's go to reporter Carl Lemay for more. Carl!"