Break-In Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I leaned forward and stared hard at Harriet Hogue as I said "And the logical path of that thread is that you did have some idea of what they were really doing. That's the paradox: if you didn't know, you would not have let your husband out of your house that night. And the cherry on top is that your husband was devoted to you. He willingly submitted to your dominance. Chuck would have had no desire to have sex with Marla unless you told him to, or at least told him it was okay to do that."

Me: "Ergo, back to the original question: why did you let your husband participate in that sexual liaison with that woman that we know you despise? Were you trying to get him killed? Were you trying to set off Stanley Locklear, in the hopes he would kill Tom and Chuck, either right then or afterwards, when he learned the full truth?"

"You must be mad!" Harriet exclaimed in the stunned silence of the room. "Talk about fantasies! You're absolutely full of---"

"I need to talk to my client." Mr. Garner interrupted, beginning to understand that the Iron Crowbar don't play...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The MCD Detectives, sans Lt. Jerome Davis, were at their desks, and they looked up at us when we got to MCD. George Newman asked "Storage Site 2, sir?"

I grinned. "A little 'Space: 1999' reference, there."

"What's 'Space: 1999?' Roark Coleman asked. I just looked at him as if he were out of his tree.

"Only the best science fiction series in the history of television." I replied. "Look it up, look it up."

Julia Rodriguez said "I finally figured out where you were going with your questioning, sir. If Mrs. Hogue did all that to set off Stanley Locklear, it shows he was being set up, and therefore his own actions were legitimate."

Joanne Warner said "But it doesn't exonerate him... if Mrs. Hogue told Mr. Locklear ahead of time, and therefore he knew about it, he could make sure the gun was loaded, reloaded it when he found it wasn't, and then shot them when he did. Orrrrr he might've shot them after he was released when the roleplay game was over."

I said "All that's true: it doesn't exonerate Mr. Locklear. But what I said in there was an accurate observation: it was totally and completely out of character for Mr. Hogue to be out from under his wife's thumb, especially to be having sex with Mrs. Locklear. It was a contradiction, which you know I always say cannot exist, and it needed resolution. We'll see if we get that resolution, or not."

Teddy Parker spoke up: "Sir, is the reason Tia Maple came in and made that statement because she realized Harriet Hogue may be betraying her, and trying to get full possession of the company away from Tia?"

"Ohhh, that's goood, Mr. Parker." I said. I handed him the red crowbar and said "Here, hold this while you explain to the whole class."

Teddy Parker blushed slightly at the praise, then said: "On the surface, it looks like the two heirs, that being the widows, would inherit equal shares of the company, especially since Harriet was no longer a partner. However, since Tom died first, and we have proof of that, Harriet could claim to have first rights to buy out Tom Maple's shares from Tia."

Parker: "There's also the reciprocal insurance payouts. Again, because Tom died first, his policy wouldn't pay out. Chuck and Harriet would be paid out... and Harriet inherits Chuck's payout. That gives her the money to buy out Tom's shares."

Roark Coleman said "Mrs. Maple could tie that up in Court for years. Especially about the first rights to the shares. And by the time it's resolved, that company is long since wiped out."

Teddy Parker said "You think that's why Harriet Hogue told Tia Maple that Tom was having an affair with Marla Locklear? To get Tia to leave Tom, file for divorce? Maybe he's forced to sell his shares, and Chuck Hogue has first rights?"

I said "You've again touched on a great point, Mr. Parker. Harriet Hogue definitely had a reason for telling Tia Maple that. And trying to get Tom and Tia divorced may have been that reason. But as opposed to getting his shares, maybe that was because Harriet wanted Tom himself, and for herself."

Me: "I say that partially because if... and it's a big, big 'if'... Harriet was trying hard to steal Tom from Tia, then it would make sense why she let Chuck participate in that sexual roleplay with her enemy Marla Locklear, giving Harriet grounds to divorce her husband."

Julia said "So even if nothing wet had happened to anyone, Harriet might have been thinking of ways to exploit that whole roleplay thing. Maybe she wanted to use it to get herself divorced from Chuck, and Tom divorced from Tia after she tells Tia about it. And it humiliates Mrs. Locklear... after all, sir, the Press was at the scene very fast, and was reporting a lot of details very quickly."

"Give that Paratrooper a red crowbar!" I exclaimed. "Seriously, give it up, Parker." With mock sadness, Teddy handed Julia the red crowbar.

Joanne Warner looked a little frustrated as she said "Sir, this is all interesting intrigue, but I still don't see how it exonerates Stanley Locklear in any way."

Roark said "Nor convicts him."

I said "You're right. The shootings are the fly in the ointment. I don't see why either Mrs. Maple or Mrs. Hogue would want their husbands killed; after all, like Mr. Roark said, this is very likely going to completely destroy the company. And there was no guarantee that Stanley would shoot and kill the two men. So we have a long way to go to make those pieces fit... and I caution you now not to try to force them to fit."

Roark: "Sir, I understand and agree that the widows likely did not intend on becoming widows... but that doesn't apply to Marla Locklear. She and Harriet apparently hated each other, Tia had broken any friendly relations with her off, she might've been the one that wanted Tom Maple for herself, and if she couldn't have him, she'd make sure nobody would."

Joanne: "Same for Stanley. If he'd found out he was being kicked to the kerb, and found out about his wife arranging for that roleplay in order to have sex with Tom and Chuck in front of Stanley, to humiliate him, then Stanley might've known ahead of time that he'd have the opportunity to murder them, and did so when he had the chance."

Roark: "And Tom and Chuck conveeeniently allowed themselves to be murdered? C'mon, they didn't think he would get out of his bonds... and they thought the self-defense gun was unloaded by Marla, but it wasn't."

Joanne: "Or he reloaded the gun."

I cut in: "With bullets from where?" As the room went silent, I said "All the bullets are accounted for. If Marla did unload the gun... and her fingerprints were not on it... and Stanley did reload it, then there are five cartridges totally unaccounted for. Where are they?"

Joanne said "Sir, we don't know if they're accounted for. Stanley could've had more bullets somewhere."

I said "And for him to make the effort to hide extra bullets shows knowledge and planning aforethought. Stanley said he did not want to see his wife with other men, and never had. So why would he allow that roleplay to even happen?"

Joanne said "Because he wanted to kill them!... sir."

I said "Then why didn't he shoot them when they walked into his home, before the sex happened? He'd still have the self-defense and 'Castle Doctrine' defenses working for him."

Joanne said "Sir, with all due respect... I am not assuming Stanley is telling the truth in all this. He may---"

Roark fired back: "And you think Marla is telling the truth?"

"DON'T INTERRUPT ME AGAIN, COLEMAN!" Joanne thundered at Roark, her lovely face marred by anger and hatred that I had never seen from her before.

"Keep it civil, guys" I said. "You were saying, Joanne?"

"Yes sir." Joanne said, anger still in her voice. "I was saying that he may well have wanted to see his wife with other men, and was lying when he said he didn't. And while you're right about shooting them as they came inside, his legal defense is much stronger the way it actually went down, so he might have let it happen. And my thesis is that if he could not get out of his bonds until they let him out, he still would've gone for the gun and shot them, and then maybe claim an Insanity defense."

I nodded. "First of all, guys, I am loving this discussion and exchange of ideas. It shows me you're all thinking critically and sifting the evidence in your minds. But keep it civil; don't interrupt each other or start yelling."

Me: "Having said that... Joanne, you're right that we cannot assume Stanley's innocence. But Mr. Roark is right: we can circumstantially prove that Marla has lied to us. So your burden of proof against Stanley is much stronger than our current burden against Marla, as ADA Fineman will find out if she puts Stanley on trial."

"So what's next, sir?" Teddy Parker asked.

"All of this Maple & Hogue stuff may be a sideshow." I replied. "We have to go back to the basics, to the original sin: Marla or Stanley, both or neither. And since I need to get this shit wrapped up fast, I'm going to have one more interview with Marla, and then we play Pontious Pilate and wash our hands of the matter, and let ADA Fineman fuck things up without the least bit of help from us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Julia and I went back to I-1, where Harriet Hogue and her lawyer were waiting for us. Garner started the 'conversation' off: "Commander Troy, your reputation both precedes you and follows you, so I can't tell if you're outright bluffing or if you really believe that fairy tale you told us, or even if you have actual proof."

Garner: "But I'm willing to bet you don't have the proof. And furthermore, it's getting around the legal community that ADA Fineman... to whom this case has been assigned, we know that... that she won't press charges for something as specious as this, especially if it's just to spit in your face."

I said "You better be damn sure about Fineman if you're going to try to play those bluffing games using her name. But even if you're right, Mrs. Hogue's problems are not only in Court. The insurance company is going to be hearing about this... I can promise you that that will happen... and they'll hold up the payouts on the reciprocal policies, probably for months if not years waiting for a Court trial."

Me: "And Tia Maple will be using it as a basis for her own legal challenges over ownership of the company... and I think we all know, Mrs. Hogue, that even if you win, by the time it works its way through the Courts, Maple & Hogue will cease to exist, and there will be nothing left even to sell."

I both felt and saw Harriet Hogue wilt as the air was let out of her balloon. She leaned over and whispered something, and Mr. Garner nodded. He looked at me and said "I want immunity for my client for any past statements that could be considered false or misleading, and for all charges against my client to this point to be dropped, in exchange for her complete statement."

"I'm sure you do want that." I said. "But it ain't gonna happen. What I'll offer you is to decide after hearing your client's statement... and not a hypothetical... I'll decide whether or not to drop the charges and let your client go."

Harriet said "How do I know you will not renege, and you'll charge me anyway?"

"You don't." I replied. "I am promising you nothing, except to consider your statement against the charges you're facing. And you will just have to trust me that I'll do that in good faith... or not."

Garner said "No. We want immunity... and we want the deal agreed to and signed by ADA Savannah Fineman. We won't accept any agreement with just a Police Officer."

"Very well." I said. "You have no agreement to accept." I nodded to Julia, and we got up and left the Interrogation Room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:30pm, Friday, June 11th. Marla Locklear and her attorney Nadine Hall entered Police Headquarters. They were escorted to Interrogation-Alpha by Patrol Officer Lisa Burrell, who remained as the Uniformed Presence.

"What are you going to ask her first?" I asked Detective Julia Rodriguez as we looked in on them from the anteroom through the one-way glass.

"What she did with the bullets." Julia said. "She's had time to come up with an answer, and I seriously doubt it will be an honest one, as I believe she did not unload the gun. So she weaves a tangled web and we catch her in a contradiction if not an outright lie, and then use that as leverage to get the truth out of her."

"I like the way you're thinking." I replied.

"What are you going to ask her, sir?" Julia asked me.

"You're going to ask the question for me." I said. "I want you to ask her if she's pregnant with Tom Maple's child."

"I like the way you're thinking, sir." Julia replied with a grin...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We went into I-A and I re-introduced Julia. Then I read Mrs. Locklear her rights from the card. Nadine Hall did not interrupt me, but once I was done she let loose: "Commander, my client has come in at your request. She's cooperated to this point, but I see no reason why she should be subjected to further abuses of her time. So ask your questions, and either charge her with something, or let her go free without restrictions."

I nodded to Julia, who asked "The bullets, Mrs. Locklear. The ones you claim you took from your husband's gun. What did you do with them?"

Marla said without hesitation: "I put them in my purse, and then threw them in the trash can at the Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers that I ate lunch at the next day."

I said "So how were you planning to get them back into the gun after the roleplay was all over?"

Marla said "I wasn't. I was going to tell Stanley that I'd emptied the gun as a precaution, so that he could reload it."

Nadine Hall broke in: "She's answered that question. Now stop badgering her about it and move along. Any more questions?"

Julia said "Just one: are you pregnant, Mrs. Locklear?"

Nadine Hall practically yelled "How dare you ask such a question!" She turned to Marla and said "Don't dignify that with a reply."

I said "But you said your client was cooperating. And it's an absolutely material question. Mrs. Locklear?"

Marla said "I don't know. I had my period three weeks ago, and last week, when Tom climaxed inside me, I was at my most fertile time. But I doubt I'm pregnant. I'm on---"

She caught herself. Her eyes narrowed as she looked at me. Then she said "I guess we'll see in the coming days and weeks, won't we?"

Julia asked "Could your husband possibly be the father? Or Mr. Hogue? That is, if you are pregnant."

"No." said Marla. "I've been on the Pill for years, and made Stanley wear condoms during my most fertile times. I got off the Pill earlier this year, to give my body a break, and Stanley wore condoms. But sex was not very common between us, as we were working through our marital issues. And Chuck had had a vasectomy, so I doubt he did any damage when he fucked me."

I said "How did you know he had a vasectomy?"

"He told me." Marla said. "It was a while back, during a social outing for the company. I asked if he and Harriet were planning on having any children, and he said no, because he'd been snipped years before."

"All right, then." I said. "Detective, do you have any further questions for Mrs. Locklear?"

"Just this." said Julia. "Mrs. Locklear, were you aware that Tom Maple had canceled your husband's reciprocal insurance?"

Marla did not react, but merely said "No, I did not know that."

I got up to go, followed by Julia. "Officer Burrell will see you out, after we leave by the other door. Mrs. Locklear, you should stay in the County, but if you do leave, notify the Police Department of where you're going, and keep your cellphone with you and turned on."

Nadine Hall said "Like I said, Commander... either charge my client, or she's free to go where she pleases when she pleases. Are you charging her?"

"Naw, not right now." I said. "Besides... you've already worked it out with ADA Fineman that your client will get immunity in exchange for testifying against her husband at his trial..."

Julia actually laughed out loud at the look on Nadine's beautiful face after I dropped that truth bomb...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We went to Classroom 'E', where several Detectives and their Leadership from MCD, Vice, and Intel had watched the interview. Teresa came in right behind me.

"Thoughts?" I asked as we all sat down.

Julia said "Sir, I do not need to be Carole Troy to know that Mrs. Locklear was lying like a dog in the shade."

Lt. Jerome Davis said "I looked at the autopsy reports to see if the M.E. noted that Mr. Hogue had had a vasectomy, but there was no notation."

I said "Well, we can't blame the M.E. for that. Hogue was shot in the head... the one on his shoulders, not the other one. So her autopsy wasn't all that exhaustive."

Roark Coleman said "I guess we could exhume the body."

Joanne said "Except that Chuck Hogue was cremated, and his ashes are in his wife's possession. She told the Funeral Home director she wanted to always keep Chuck by her side."

"Controlling to the very last... and to eternity." Teddy Parker said.

"Sir," asked Teresa, "why didn't you arrest Mrs. Locklear? At least run her through booking like you did Mrs. Hogue?"

I said "I initially was going to. But I was observing both her and Nadine Hall, and I noticed how they were all but silently goading me to do something like that. So I dropped that little truth-bomb about Nadine having already worked it out with Fineman... and I do not need to be Carole Troy to observe by Nadine's reaction that I was right."

Teresa: "So Miriam Walters is suing you over making plea deals, but when Savannah does something like that, and gives a possibly guilty woman immunity, that's okay?"

I said "And Fineman plans to put Marla on the stand to say whatever she wants against Stanley... and it's 'he said, she said' at best."

"And reasonable doubt, sir." said Roark Coleman...

"Maybe." I said. "Just maybe..."

Part 22 - Breakthrough?

5:30pm, Friday, June 11th. Chief Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross stepped out of her office at City Hall to leave for home when she suddenly felt a vibe. She looked up to see District Attorney Miriam Walters coming out of the restroom and up the hallway towards her, looking absolutely miserable.

"Miriam?" Cindy called out. "Are you okay?"

Miriam had been startled at hearing her name. She looked up and said "I... I'm fine..."

"Hey, come in my office for a minute." Cindy said.

"I really shouldn't." Miriam said. Cindy knew why.

"Please... let's talk a minute." Cindy said. "I'm not the Sheriff nor the Iron Crowbar." She was now practically steering Miriam into her office, and had the District Attorney sit down. "Want some hot tea? It's an English blend, very good." She'd turned off the hot water heater in her office, but the water was still warm enough to make two cups of tea.

"Mmm, that is good." Miriam said as she sipped her tea. Then she seemed to remember where she was. "I'm not sure I should be talking to you, though. You're Don Troy's cousin, aren't you? I'm suing him, as you know."

Cindy took her badge off her shirt and put it on her desk. "Put yours on the desk, and let's talk... off the record, girl to girl, no b.s. And I won't say a word to Don nor the Sheriff. This is just between us."

Miriam's beady black eyes were peering at Cindy, deciding what to do next. Finally, she took her badge out of her purse and put it on the desk. Her badge was a star inside a wreath, similar to Cindy's. But the wreath around the gold star was silver instead of gold, denoting that Miriam was an elected official. The seal in the middle had the Scales of Justice instead of the Public Safety seal, and the logo around it said 'Department Of Justice', and the label on top said 'District Attorney'."