Breaking the Barbarian Ch. 03

Story Info
The rebels plan. Two nuns bind and blindfold Anvarr.
6k words
4.71
1.5k
2
0

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/30/2024
Created 04/07/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After a restful night's sleep within one of Baron Rikard's guest rooms, I rejoined Miriam at the smithy. Orgumir, Sorunna, and my other warriors stayed behind with Rikard to recuperate a bit longer and to help defend the town in case of another attack. After fending off countless gifts from the locals, Miriam and I set off back towards the convent.

The gates swung open as we neared the sacred compound. Several veiled nuns sprinted forth.

"By Saint Morwenna's grace," one cried out, and I recognized the voice as Catriona's. "When you didn't return last night, we feared the worst."

When Miriam dismounted, the other nun wrapped her in a fierce embrace.

"It's all right, Catriona," Miriam said with a soft chuckle. "That hug of yours is hurting me worse than any of Grozdan's soldiers did."

Giggling and sniffling, Catriona pulled away. Her veiled gaze shifted to me and she reached out to gently squeeze my wrist.

"I had no doubt that you could handle whatever trouble befell you," Mother Superior Isidora said, keeping her hands clasped before her as she approached. "But I am still curious as to the reason for your delay."

In a breathless rush, I relayed what had occurred.

"Then there is no going back now," Isidora said. "I had hoped for more time to prepare and to sway the other barons. But if Rikard escaped execution, Grozdan's wrath will be swift and ugly. As far as Grozdan is concerned, Rikard and his subjects are now in open revolt."

"Our next move, then?" I asked.

"Come," Isidora said, gesturing behind her. "We will convene and discuss."

As Catriona and the other nuns helped with the horses, Miriam and I followed the Mother Superior into the heart of the convent.

The large room contained a table covered with maps and scrolls. Statues of Saint Morwenna adorned the walls. From the ceiling dangled dozens of chains and ropes, swaying slightly in the breeze that swept in through the open windows.

Isidora gestured to a map of the duchy. The long, thin island was ringed by dozens of smaller isles, with only a few marked settlements. Though I could not interpret the writing, I'd seen enough of the island to have a sense for the convent's location and Rikard's barony.

"This is Saerkell: the seat of Grozdan's power," Isidora said, pointing to a dot in the middle of the map. "Despite falling into disrepair, it is a formidable fortress."

"And cursed, too," said Miriam. "If the stories are to be believed."

"A shame the curse does not take care of Grozdan for us," I said with a snort. "Why is it said to be cursed?"

"Etmorra was once ruled by a council of shamans and chieftains, in the days before the Empire's conquest," Isidora explained. "In a sense, Etmorra at that time was not unlike Kovgaard. But when a Kovgaardian king sent his envoys to Saerkell to demand Etmorra's submission, the ruling shamans broke the oaths of truce and imprisoned the envoys. Doing so was a violation of ancient laws, but the shamans were so offended by the demands that they didn't care. It is said that they sacrificed the envoys to dark spirits, as a foul bargain to protect the island.

"Instead, the spirits claimed the souls of the shamans instead, as punishment for their treachery and oath-breaking. The locals soon found Saerkell empty, save for the eyeless corpses of the shamans."

"My people have a nearly identical story," I said, frowning. "King Thorvard Mountain-Bane was said to have sent his son to a kingdom across the sea, only for the son to be betrayed and slain."

I'd had no idea that the mystical kingdom from those tales had in fact been Etmorra. How many other stories of our mythic past were echoed in Etmorra's legends?

"Whether or not it is cursed does not change the fact that it is a formidable fortress," Isidora continued. "It contains springs and vast gardens, making it nearly self-sufficient. Even with a small force, Grozdan could hold it for years."

"The other key to controlling the island is Surta's Gate," said Miriam, pointing to a spot on the northern coast of the island. "A large town and the island's primary port. It's how Grozdan has been importing his weapons and mercenaries, and it's where he sends out all the goods he's stolen from his subjects."

I tapped the western side of the map.

"And who rules these lands?"

"Baron Selwyn. A dashing young man who had the strongest claim to the ducal title until Grozdan pressed his own claim. More than any other Baron, he has resisted and rebuked Grozdan's increased taxes. With Baron Rikard now in open revolt, I suspect Selwyn will soon join him."

"If Grozdan had enough wealth to hire so many mercenaries to begin with, why does he strangle the island for more?" I asked.

"Though of noble blood and a kinsman to the Duke of Utresk on the mainland, he had little wealth to speak of," said Miriam. "So he went into great debt to the money-lending guilds in order to press his claim and maintain his hold. But he is a man who satisfies his vices before his debts...which only creates more debts, and more desperation to repay them."

"He treats this island like a vulture treats a corpse," I muttered. "And so how many troops can this vulture call upon?"

"Given Etmorra's isolation and reliance upon the sea for protection, the duchy never had much of a standing army," Isidora said. "There were in fact only a hundred true knights and five hundred men-at-arms on the entire island when Grozdan took the title. He brought with him a few hundred mercenaries. As tensions have increased, he has hired hundreds more...which only drains his coffers further. He could call upon greater numbers if he summons the barons and their respective forces, but those would be meager militias, not hardened troops."

"Despite Rikard's uprising, I doubt he'll call upon the other barons just yet," said Miriam. "Relations are too tenuous and fraught at the moment. If he asks them to face Rikard, they might turn on him, or refuse and make him look weak. I suspect Grozdan will try to deal with this using his own forces and mercenaries, rather than relying on the barons."

My scowl returned to the map.

"Rikard found several of my warriors: they'll be recovered enough in a few days to fight. But a few Kovgaardians alone cannot stand against Grozdan's forces. I know Rikard has some knights under his command and we could raise a militia from his lands, but that still won't be enough."

I ran my finger along the coast until it settled upon Surta's Gate.

"The port is the key. Without it, Grozdan will have difficulty receiving supplies and reinforcements, nor can he send out confiscated goods to fill his coffers."

"It is the most defended place on the island, save for the fortress at Saerkell," Isidora said. "Even if several other barons came to our aid, we'd not have the numbers for such an assault."

"I am not suggesting a full assault." I braced my hands against the table. "Grozdan is a mighty bear, lurking in his cave: we need to draw him out. So I suggest a raid. An attack in the night, to burn or sink the next inbound ships containing weapons and mercenaries. Or perhaps we could steal one of the outbound ships and we can give the supplies back to the people. Such brazen attacks will draw him out from Saerkell, get him into the open..."

I rested my finger upon the road that led from the fortress.

"Then we put him down like the mad beast he is."

"Clever," Isidora said, smirking beneath the veil.

"There is no guarantee that he will take the bait, though," Miriam warned.

"You're right. But if he doesn't bite, then we continue to raid his holdings across Etmorra. We isolate him, then plan our next move."

**

For the rest of the day I assisted the nuns with other duties: chopping wood, digging irrigation ditches for the gardens, caring for the horses. With my body occupied by such chores, my mind raced with the thoughts of what I would do when I found Hoskuld.

While I longed to challenge my brother to a formal duel so that he might restore his honor, I doubted he would accept. The wretched dog might run, or I'd be forced to fight him in a pitched battle rather than glorious single combat.

Any death would suffice, in the eyes of our people's laws. As long as I could prove the death to King Ulrik, my family's pride and honor would be restored. My brother's sin would no longer stain our clan and we could resume our rightful place as prominent warriors of the north.

With my body filled with the pleasant ache of a good day's work, I returned to my quarters. After a quick bath I once more plucked the holy texts from the shelf. Though I still understood not a single written word, that didn't stop me from thumbing through pages of half-naked figures in various states of submission and domination.

My skin tingled as I pictured myself or the nuns in those various poses.

There came a soft knock at the door. I opened it to find Catriona standing out in the hall, still wearing her veil.

"Here to claim that last strike with the flogger?" I asked, grinning.

She giggled.

"I did think about it, yes. May I come in?"

Nodding, I stepped aside. Catriona brushed past me, her fingers trailing along my wrist.

"The Mother Superior asked me to give you a few lessons about our Sisterhood. If you are staying with us, it is important that you know more about our customs."

"In fact I was just perusing those books," I said with a slight smirk, gesturing to the shelf.

"Oh? I must say that the chronicles of the sacred mushrooms are quite intoxicating to read. So many wonders hidden upon the forest floor. And did you have a chance to read about the blister-bloom flowers? Marvelous things."

"I confess my interests rested in different books than the ones on herbs." I chuckled. "And I don't know the Imperial script, so I couldn't have even read them anyway."

"Such books are not in the Imperial script: they are in the Etmorran language. The Empire's rule stamped out the spoken version of the language but the written word remains. An elegant script that took me years to master after I'd taken the vows."

"So you're not Etmorran, then?" I asked, sitting down at the edge of the bed as she ran her fingers over the books.

"No, no. I'm from the Duchy of Tsannor. On the southern edge of the continent."

I cocked my head, having not heard of that duchy before. Considering the size of the Empire and the remote nature of my homeland, my ignorance was hardly surprising.

"I pestered Miriam about how she ended up here...I suppose I am obliged to pester you now as well."

Catriona turned, her smile fading a little beneath the veil. That diminished smile stabbed deep into my heart, making me certain that my question about her homeland had opened an old wound.

Her smile strengthened after a moment.

"A few lessons, first." She pointed to the center of the room. "It is customary for novices and new initiates to kneel during instruction. One of our many rules."

Hopeful that such a command meant the lessons would be the wicked sort, I obeyed, settling upon my knees in the same spot where I'd been chained a few nights before.

To my disappointment, Catriona instead picked up one of the books on herblore.

Catriona paced back and forth in front of me, listing out the thirteen sacred flowers and herbs of the Sisterhood. Each one could serve as a medicine or a poison depending on how it was prepared. A few even had sexual applications: some could be used to enhance fertility, to prevent pregnancy, to increase arousal, and to ward off disease.

"The heart-dancer flower is of particular importance to the Sisterhood," she said, still pacing back and forth as she read through the book. "With one dose, it can be used as a minor aphrodisiac. Two doses, combined with yarrow, can induce sacred hallucinations. Five doses, with just a pinch of honey, create a poison that will kill in seconds."

"Heart-dancer," I said, my brow furrowing. "What does that look like?"

She turned the book around, displaying a flower with a long stem and red, heart-shaped petals.

"I thought the effects sounded familiar. In Kovgaard we call it ruby-leaf. And we use it for some of the same purposes you just described." I gave her a slow grin. "In Kovgaard, there are...certain rituals that use the ruby-leaf. Rites of passage, trials for coming of age, ceremonies to prove one's worth."

"Tell me more."

"Aren't you the one giving the lessons?"

"I am the one who still has another lashing to give you," she said, placing a hand upon her hip, though her tone was playful. "So enlighten me."

After my laugh bounced off the stone walls, I continued.

"Among my people, reaching the twentieth winter is considered especially important, because it is said that our first king wandered for twenty winters before finally founding his kingdom. So although I had been a warrior and a hunter for many years before that, I had to undertake more strenuous rites when I reached the age of twenty.

"For every person it is different. The witches and shamans conduct other rituals and assess magical flames to assess which rites must be used. For my trial, I had to collect the tail-hairs from a wolf without killing it, and then make a pilgrimage to a sacred grove, hidden deep within a remote forest."

"By Morwenna's grace...that must have been quite the feat, collecting that hair."

"I earned a few scars from it," I said, gesturing to the faded bite-marks on my bicep. "But that was hardly the most difficult part of the rite."

Catriona crouched down in front of me, her eyes wide and enraptured.

"Within the grove were two witches. Naked and ready for me, their bodies adorned with sacred runes. Both of them had already drank a potion containing ruby-leaf, and they bade me to drink as well. Every nerve burned with sensations I'd never felt before. I could...see colors I had never fathomed, and heard little songs hidden within each word.

"And as my mind danced upon the sensations created by the ruby-leaf, they claimed and ravished me. The ruby-leaf concoction was so strong that I really don't know which acts of lovemaking were real and which were imagined.

"Once we had all had our fill, they slipped into darkness. I never saw them again, though my performance was apparently enough to earn their approval."

Recounting that tale had shortened my breath, hardened my cock, and had sent little shivers through my body.

"Lucky women," Catriona murmured, her breath hitching as I finished my tale.

"Back to your lessons, then."

"Yes," she said, taking another shaky breath and rising to open the book again. "By Saint Morwenna's grace, I seem to have lost my place."

"We will have other opportunities for lectures on herblore and botany, Catriona," I said, reaching out and brushing my fingers over the hem of her robe.

"Yes. I do suppose instructing you on the other Rites of Torment is still necessary, in order to fully enlighten you on the ways of our order..."

"Miriam showed me the Second Torment last night." I swallowed, shivering at the heated memories of the complete control she'd wielded over me.

"That one can be quite enjoyable indeed, with the right partner. And you endured it?"

"Barely," I said with a soft laugh. "Must we proceed with the Rite of the Third Torment, or have you a particular favorite?"

"Usually they go in order, yes. But given how ably you've endured the first two rites and how much of an attentive student you've been today..."

She reached down to brush her fingers through my hair. Shivering, I leaned up and kissed her wrist.

"My favorite is the Rite of the Seventh Torment." The moonlight cast enough of a glow that I could see her biting her lip beneath the veil.

"And what does it involve?"

"You have already experienced the denial of control. The Rite of the Seventh Torment is a denial of sight."

She brushed her fingers beneath my eyes.

"That sounds particularly cruel, for I still have not gazed upon your full beauty." I looked her up and down, imagining the curves hidden by those sacred robes.

"You are sweet, Anvarr. But bearing witness to me can be a reward, if you can endure the Rite. I shall go and fetch one of the sacred blindfolds. Undress. Prepare yourself for me. I want you naked and ready for me upon my return."

I nodded, bowing my head in deference and reverence as she departed. My shaking hands tore off my clothes.

Naked and brimming with anticipation, I leaned back upon the bed, my eager eyes staring at the door.

Two soft knocks sounded against the door, each one booming like thunder within my ears.

"Anvarr," came Catriona's warm, sweet voice. "Are you ready for me?"

Gods, I was not even sure of my answer.

"Yes," I called out, surprised at how firm my voice was.

The door creaked open. My eyes widened as Mother Superior Isidora strode in alongside Catriona, who carried a small wooden box.

Arousal warred with confusion.

"Your holiness?" I asked.

"I am here to assist with the Rite of the Seventh Torment." She smirked beneath her veil. "Did Sister Catriona not tell you what this Rite entailed?"

"She said it involved a denial of sight."

"Indeed. But that is but the first step." Isidora nodded at Catriona. "Go on, dear. Bind and blindfold him."

Confused but still no less aroused, I leaned back as Catriona approached. She opened the box, revealing a dark leather blindfold and several feet of hempen rope.

With surprising strength, she gripped my wrists and bound them to the bedposts.

The redheaded nun then knelt beside the bed and clasped her hands together.

"Saint Morwenna, Queen of Surrender and Queen of Conquest: I beseech thee for your aid and guidance. Grant me the power to break and the strength to tame."

Once she'd uttered the holy words, Catriona rose, collected the blindfold, and affixed it over my eyes. Almost immediately I regretted my decision, for I longed to see the naked bodies of both women.

And yet I was not one to back down from a challenge.

"If this grows to be too intense, all you need do is utter a single word," Isidora said. "'Nightshade.' No judgement, no rebuke, no hesitation...we will cease your torment."

"That means I fail the Rite, though."

"It is not that simple. The Rites are not tests to be passed or failed. They are trials to be endured...and something to learn from. In the same way that a hunter can learn from a failed hunt, someone can learn from a Rite they don't complete as well." She let out a low, sultry laugh. "Now relax as best you can."

I took in deep, shaky breaths. Fabric rustled at the foot of the bed and I groaned, imagining the sight of the two nuns shedding their clothes, the candlelight caressing their skin. Due to the loose-fitting holy vestments, I could only guess what their figures would have looked like, but my mind raced nonetheless.

Soft sighs followed the rustling of fabric, followed by a quiet giggle from Catriona.

"Beside him, Sister Catriona," Isidora said.

The bed shifted and I felt Catriona's leg bump against my hip. Her hand brushed against my chest, then along my neck. Each touch ignited sparks through my skin.

My hands clenched and I pondered using the word 'nightshade' to escape.

No. I would not surrender. Not so quickly. Not without a fight.

"Brace your head against him," Isidora ordered. "He's quite sturdy, after all: make use of him."

I tensed at the feel of Catriona's soft, short hair brushing against my chest. She cooed a little as she settled against me, as if I were a comfortable pillow.

"Anvarr, do try not to wriggle around too much, lest you disturb our work," Isidora said.

A moment later, the bed shifted again as Isidora joined us. Catriona gasped, her head trembling a little against my chest.

Gods, what was Isidora doing to her? Licking her breasts? Tonguing her sex? Or had a simple kiss inspired such a reaction?

12