Breaking the Rules Pt. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alright, you're freaking me out. You're smiling, but your eyes don't agree. What's going on?" she whispered in his ear.

"I have to get out of here. As soon as possible, but definitely before tomorrow morning," he murmured back. "I accidentally made an agreement, thinking they meant something else."

He didn't trust himself to say "no" with what felt like the whole world watching, in light of the favors they'd done him, and the three men who'd died bringing him to the city. It would be a betrayal of himself, but it would be only right and natural according to all the onlookers. Even if he did, all it would take was for them to let him leave, and make no secret of his presence to any of the parties that wanted him dead - and then, dead he would be. He instinctively knew his only chance was to leave before the word got out, and presumably it was already on its way due to whoever had attacked on the road reporting back.

"Right. Let's make a plan in my room. Come on."

"Ah, look who it is! The famous librarian that outsmarted the Level Eleven Gate," one of the White Lily factioners said, offering her his hand to shake. "Most impressive, well done. I realize you're with the Spectrum, but I believe we can offer you better employment conditions without violating any of your Oaths. Would you like to hear what we've been working on?"

"That sounds fascinating! My friend here needs some air, I'll come chat with you in a minute."

"Oh yes, of course! We'll hold a chair for both of you."

"Thanks."

She led him out and they went to her room. "So let me guess, they're pushing you to join the faction."

He told her the whole story, from the moment he'd left and everything Kehinde had said on the way.

"Gods below, we haven't had slaves of any kind in centuries, unless you count zombies, but they're not really conscious as we think of it," Furaha said. "Nuru, those three men all returned early; I did some snooping when I heard you were delayed. Nobody died for you out there."

"Those demon-hearted, manipulative, little golems made of shit. They prance around with their high talk and their clean cloaks and all the while they're scheming to enslave us all to their sense of duty and service to their own whims."

"I told you that they were tricky, it's not just the gotchas in the healer skill tree that force a faction, they've got their sticky fingers into everything we do as a society, lying through their unnaturally white teeth. I'm sorry I couldn't go over the negotiation tactics with you, it sounds like they pulled out all the stops for you. Even the attack might have been faked. I guess it doesn't matter, if it makes you feel better; they probably had their dialogue tree mapped six or seven layers deep for any objection you might have raised. Are you packed and ready to go?"

"Yeah, I've got everything."

"Alright. The guards have been instructed to follow you at a distance wherever you go. I hate to say it, but the only chance you've got to get away is after dark."

"Shit. Well, it is what it is, then."

"I'm afraid I'll be worse than useless, so I won't be coming with you, much as I wish I could. So I'll be here, leaving in the morning, after making as much of a stink to cover you as I can. Don't tell me where you're going, but you can send a courier when you get there. I'll be back at City of the Damned until I figure out my next move."

"Alright. This place is all open walkways, I guess it won't be too hard to make my way around, I'll just have to be quick about it. Thanks for watching out for me."

"You're welcome. Good luck."

She kissed him, then got back up and went out to the door. "Well. Let's just keep up appearances a little bit longer, shall we? Bring your stuff, we don't know when you'll have your opportunity, but I'll keep an eye out. If you see one, don't wait for me- just go."

"OK."

They went back out to the hall and sat with Furaha's new friends, chatting about all manner of things that went over Nuru's head, but which Furaha was enjoying quite a bit from the smile on her face. Nuru started to relax, and then noticed the sun going down in the giant windows.

"Thank you all, I think I'm going to turn in. Big day tomorrow, I hear," Nuru said.

"Yeah, for sure! Here, I'll show you the room you've got, I know where you were assigned," one of the group, a healer, said.

Nuru watched closely and noticed that a couple of guards did indeed surreptitiously break off from standing against the wall, and exited the doorway behind them as if going on a routing patrol, but stayed within sight of him.

(Creepy bastards.)

/Aw. You don't like someone watching your back?/ Sanaa taunted.

(Not when they're watching to keep me from escaping as much as keeping me from getting assassinated or whatever.)

/Don't worry. There's a surprise for you in your room./

(Really? Is it an assassin?)

/No. I'm telling you this because you're tired, and you might be prone to overreact. Stay cool./

(How do you know this?)

/I've learned a few fun things in peoples' dreams, one of them being one of the stipulations that go along with joining a faction. There are a few people who'd had fantasies about situations a little like yours. Let's just say that they enjoyed the thought of an old flame encouraging last-minute changes of heart in the sexiest way possible. Those were fun./

(But... that's not what's waiting?)

/No. In your case, the old flame probably wants you to go through with this. They'll have someone else waiting, and they won't be alone. They might try to seduce you, we'll see. But generally they try to keep the person in question off-balance, so they have some special twist prepared./

(Ah. Thanks for the heads up.)

They reached his room, and Furaha gave him a friendly kiss on the cheek. "I'll stop by on my way to bed, but I'll go chat with my new friends a bit longer. See you in a bit."

"Thanks. Have fun!"

The man stepped out into view from the sitting room as soon as the door closed behind Nuru.

"Dubaku. What an unpleasant surprise," Nuru snapped. "Why don't you just get the fuck out now?"

"Look, I'm no happier to be here than you are to see me. Trust me, this is just business," the man said tightly. "But if you insist, I will consider my offer declined, and my quest fulfilled."

He gave a faint smile, apparently pleased with that possibility.

/No, no! Stay cool, I told you. Look, you do me a favor and I'll make it up to you tonight, in your dreams./

(What exactly do you need?)

/OK, so I realize you're not into men. Your gaze passes right over them, even the good-looking ones. But work with me here. Dubaku... has a little bit of a crush on you, and he's repressed from a very young age. Play on that, let me Plant a Suggestion, and I promise you such wonderful debauchery later in your dreams./

"Alright, what do you want then?"

"If you would," the man said over his shoulder.

A ghost drifted around the corner to join them. Nuru held his tongue, but glared furiously. The Rules Lawyer waited a long, dramatic moment, then spoke.

"So, here we are, finally coming to our senses. I've no desire to undo the progress you're making here, but there is a Rule. In order to prevent coercive recruitment practices, every adventurer is given a choice - to join, or not to join. In most cases, it is sufficient to allow for the possibility of joining, or death. However, since the While Lily are pacifist, yet have insisted on an iron-clad induction process, we are here to enforce this Rule by giving you a one-time offer. You will be allowed to leave with this man to show you the way. Given the nature of your curse, this is more difficult but arrangements have been made. If you stay until the morning, you *will* be joining the White Lily, and there will be no need for any further unpleasantness between us. Do I make myself clear?"

Nuru shivered. It was worse than he'd thought; he'd have had a devil of a time saying no with all those people watching. But from the sound of things, he wouldn't have actually been asked for his consent. Just being there would be considered enough.

"I understand."

"I take my leave," the ghost said, rising straight through the ceiling.

"So. I can just leave if you want. In all likelihood, you'll never see me again."

"Show me the way," Nuru said, gritting his teeth.

"What's the magic word?" Dubaku said, eyes glittering with malicious glee.

(Fine, I'm in. How do I turn your aura on?)

/Squee! Repeat after me./

"!Launi Laya!" Nuru said.

"Hmm? What's that?" Dubaku said.

He blinked then averted his eyes quickly. Nuru continued giving him an intense stare.

"Why, those are the magic words. Weren't you listening? You're the one that asked for them."

"Well, I- nevermind. This way."

Dubaku had gone one shade rosier, and Nuru grinned inwardly.

(Women must enjoy the power of being able to get a man riled up, at least sometimes.)

/Today, it's your turn, you naughty, lucky boy./

(I almost feel bad, actually, even if he is an asshole. I've clearly touched a vulnerable spot, and I won't be giving him anything satisfying.)

/No, there's too much baggage from your history for him to be that comfortable anyway; he'd rather be propositioned to boost his ego, so he can turn you down with some pithy insult he's thought up and saving for the occasion. But you will be encouraging him not to repress himself anymore, with someone else, if you play it right. We'll be giving the rude finger to his homophobic repression, and giving me some huge EXP at the same time. He might even thank you some day./

(I know nothing about appealing to a man. I'll let you call the shots.)

/Oh, quit with the helpless act. Men are fairly simple. Show a little interest, but stop short of an actual proposition, you'll have him sweating a river in no time. That's all there is to it. Keep it up right to the end and that little Suggestion will Plant nice and deep. His imagination will do the rest./

It took Nuru a minute, but he found something to say.

"So, I guess life in Sage Society agrees with you, eh? That's a nice robe. Custom tailored, if I'm not mistaken."

"Ah... it has... been rewarding, in many ways."

"Should have known you had the right idea all those years ago. Too late to go that way now, I suppose."

"Masego might still take you, if you prove yourself. You seem to have some... interesting ideas on new directions in magic from what I've heard. I don't think Sage Society would qualify you, but there are alternatives. Sages don't get out in the field much, I feel you wouldn't be happy there anyway."

"Just staying in your towers sticking up like a giant cock into the buttocks of the sky. There are worse ways to spend your time."

Dubaku choked, then cleared his throat and continued on as if nothing had happened.

"It's true, I do roam a bit though," Nuru grinned.

"You make nomads look positively grounded," Dubaku said drily. "Taurai went on a merry chase for days after you, threw a meteor, and still missed. You could give a fairy a run for its glitter."

"You'll have to excuse me yawning. I got crap for sleep last night, and it's late again today, and we're taking the stairs. Don't take it personally."

"I only blame you for half of the regrettable aspects of our current situation. This is necessary, you will see."

They emerged on a balcony overlooking the edge of the city walls, covered in ivy.

"I'm afraid I'm going to enjoy this more than is socially acceptable," Dubaku said. "But it's the only way. I'm told you have access to Weightless Foot, somehow. I'm still unclear on that - I'm certain Masego would never have cleared you for such a thing."

"Life's funny that way. So, what are you saying?"

"This is the only exit that's not being watched by the guards. You'll have to go down that walkway from the gate a fair distance, and then turn to your next destination. The guards will be at the gate behind, and won't pursue at this hour. So I suppose this is goodbye."

"How long have we got?" Nuru said, winking at the man in the torchlight.

"I..."

"You're right. Probably better this way. So what's the move?"

"I'm going to toss you, harder than I need to. Out that direction, you can see a cart full of hay, lying carelessly in the road. It's up to you to release your Weightless Foot at the right time to fall into that pile. You miss, the healers won't be able to reach you in time to save you."

"Alright you big, strong man. Give me a good shove."

"With pleasure."

Dubaku held a hand out, and the world dimmed a bit as a sphere formed around Nuru and lifted him off the ground.

"!Asirce Girma Fashewa!"

Nuru blew Dubaku a kiss as he was hurled off into the night, remembering to enable his Weightless Foot, and turning to look the way he was going. He spied the cart of hay, and enabled his (Level Six-gained) Spatial Reasoning skills to interpret his trajectory.

"Crap. I might have enabled Weightless Foot a bit too late..." he said, angling his body to try to go a little bit further. The cart loomed larger, and larger, and-

WHUMP

"...ow..." he groaned.

He lay there for a bit, considering just nodding off for a bit. He was tired. What good would it do to get away, if he'd get nabbed by a ghoul in half a minute? But it wouldn't do to get discovered here by a random patrol, either. If he sneezed at the wrong moment, he was done. Well, maybe just five minutes...

*****

The moon was high when Nuru awoke. What had woken him? He was still groggy and bleary-eyed.

SQUEAK

Oh. The cart was moving. The cart was moving!?

Nuru scrambled out as gently as he could, but it was a hand cart and his shifting weigh alerted the driver to the change, who dropped the handles on the front. The cart had been turned around and pulled half the length of the way towards the exit he was seeking. He took a deep breath, pulling away. The figure waited. He got up his nerve and stepped forward, angling to go around, but the figure moved to intercept him. He stopped again.

"!Gunung Seuneuan Hampang!" he said. "I don't want to hurt you."

"Then don't," an amused voice replied, shying away from the sudden burst of light.

He knew that voice. When she lowered her hand to squint into the glowing ball of demonic fire, he was sure by her face, as well.

"Zula!? What in the World Map are you doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same."

"I'm... leaving. Please, don't try to stop me. If you call in your Big Favor now, I'm afraid I may hate you forever."

"Wouldn't want that. However, I simply cannot let you leave here alone. What to do, what to do."

"Look, just... pretend you didn't see me here."

"Nuru, you're unforgettable. I couldn't possibly do that, even if I wanted to."

"Can you sneak my friend out of the city?"

"Afraid not. She's not the traveling type, I don't think."

"Dammit, you're not making this easy."

"Oh, you poor thing. Let me help you out. I can't let you... leave here... ALONE."

"Uggh. You'll come with me. I'm an idiot."

"You said it, not me."

"It's the sleep deprivation. Wait. You're leaving too!?"

"They'd hardly forgive me if I went and spent all these Faction resources and we got nothing out of it, in the end. This way I can be sure at least you reach your destination, and there's a chance of some payoff."

"So it was you that negotiated with-"

"Ssh. Yes. They forced me to accept anonymity, but clearly you weren't as addled as they tried to arrange. Didn't drink the wine, hmm?"

"It smelled lovely, but no."

"I told them you were nobody's fool. Did they listen? Pah. Nevermind, we're here now, let's go before I'm missed. You, they'll have covered for 'til the morning."

"Meaning no offense, Zula, we're hardly better off than me alone."

"That's why I'm bringing a friend along."

She whistled low. A distance scrabbling sound heralded the arrival of a small creature running its stubby little legs off, which stopped right in front of her. She picked it up and cradled it in a small pack on her back, in a pouch that looked suspiciously well-fitted for the purpose.

"You brought... a pet?"

"Mister Teenybear isn't just a pet, he's a valued support companion."

"A lapdog, that's just what I need... fine, but he's your responsibility. Can we go now?"

"Don't forget your pack."

"Oh. Yeah."

He collected his pack from the haypile, and they set off into the night.

"So, er, what's our plan if we encounter ghouls?" Nuru said. "Or when, I should probably say."

"My plan is to slap them across the face and make them sit in the corner."

"Corner of what?" Nuru said.

He just couldn't make sense of this new woman she'd become.

"The World Map. They'll have to go find it first, if the sun doesn't catch them."

"You're awfully confident for an unarmed healer. Did you decide to become a battle goddess after all?"

"At this point, I feel confident there isn't much I can't do. Okay, Resurrection ritual I can't do yet, but just about anything short of that."

"And yet, you're a healer. I'm having trouble seeing what you're going to do about a pack of ghouls in the night. Just keep insta-healing us until the sun comes up?"

"Oh look, there's some ghouls now. Let me show you."

She pulled the little creature free of her pack and set him down.

"!Jikin Dabba Mai Tsarki!"

And all of a sudden, the little dog was a big dog, searing the darkness with bright glowing light shining from every orifice.

"Mother of Masego!" Nuru cried out as the animal launched itself into the ghoul that was frozen and stunned by the brilliance and tore it limb from limb, then chased down the limbs and shook them violently left and right until they snapped and went flying off into the bushes.

"You see? No offense to lyenas, but they're not the only game in town."

"I... see that. Damn. I take it you've been busy, too."

"Come here snuggleface! C'mon boy!"

The beast turned about and bounded over to Zula and bowled her over with its paws on her shoulders.

"Eek! Mommy just washed these clothes you goofus!" Zula cried out as a big tongue assaulted her face. "Yes, yes, mommy loves you too! Ok, calm down, let me up. Phew! He gets so energetic when we play the big boy game.!Ikrast Iam Abbad Nikij!"

The light went out, and the dog shrank back down into a body as long as Nuru's arm from nose to tip of the tail.

"You know, I saw you make a hardened criminal in the Home Town jail cry. Why do you need such a companion?"

"Partly to see the looks on peoples' faces when they see what beat them, and partly because sometimes I need to be in two places at once. And you know, that's just not in my skillset."

"When's the last time you needed to do that?"

"Oh, I wish I could tell you. Faction rules, you know. And official quest Rules."

"That's a shame. Well, uh... what can you tell me about what you've been doing?"

"I don't know, where are we going, exactly? How much time have we got?"

"Shoot. Did you really get me allowed back into Home Town?"

"As of midnight, which is much sooner than we can possibly reach it. We're, hmm, a whole day and a half away I think."

"And how much of your daddy's money do I need to pay back for that favor?"

"Oh, no. You already owe me a Big Favor. You know the saying."

"What saying?"

"You owe me a Big Favor, you have a problem. You owe me two Big Favors and a million currency, *I* have a problem."

"A million!?"

"I'm exaggerating. Anyway, what else was it gonna do, sit around and collect interest from itself? This was a much better use of it. Even daddy is proud of what I'm doing. Now answer the question, where are we going?"

"I guess... we're going to Home Town. I need to see this for myself."

"Off we go then, moonlight's burning."

"There remains the question, of why you and your faction would work so hard on my behalf. What is it you think you could possibly gain?"