Brian's Adventures Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But I truly love Jealile, I won't turn my back on her a bag of gold!" I replied indignantly. "Kincaid means nothing without her!" I asserted into his eyes, hoping that he would see my sincerity.

"Think it over dear boy and we'll talk again in the morning." Perriolich said as he opened one of the doors in the side of the courtyard. I said nothing as I went into the modest room and closed the door behind me.

The room was about the same size of the second cell that I was in during my stay at the barracks. The room was divided into two parts but unequal portions; the door from the courtyard opened into the larger portion. One third of the room was walled off and a small entryway placed into it allowed access to it. In the smaller portion could be found a dresser, a wardrobe and a small desk and mirror. In the larger portion an oversized single bed whose head was up against the back wall and was pressed up against the right wall. A small window shared the wall with the main door and both were equally spaced inside it. The window was opposite the bed and the door was nearer the smaller portion. In the smaller portion of the room was another small window that allowed light to flow into it.

I walked into the smaller portion and found that the new clothes that Jealile had bought for me had been put away in the wardrobe. I got undressed and hung the clothes over the back of the chair, giving them a chance to air out. I walked wearily back to the bed with my heart heavy from Perriolich's words and tempting offer. As I slumped back into the soft and comfortable bed, I wondered if I could somehow get both his money and Jealile.

As I drifted off to sleep I wondered if I could really play his game against him to get everything I wanted. The one thing that came back to me was simply that I never wanted it said that I ever chose money over love. I was not at all comfortable with the thought of lying to Perriolich in order to get what I wanted, even if he was leaving me little choice. For I needed his money to be sure, but more importantly, I needed Jealile. One I could make do without, the other I plainly couldn't or wouldn't want to do without.

The morning sun brought me the realization that I had made it through the night without any visitors. I had half-hoped that Jealile would have come to see me in the night but alas she didn't or couldn't. I dearly hoped that she was alright and would have gone to see her that morning but I had no idea what room she was in. The second thing I realized as I started to come to life that morning was that I still didn't have an answer to Perriolich's offer. I still hadn't found an honorable way to get both Jealile and his money.

In retrospect I couldn't blame him for not believing my intentions concerning Jealile. I also realized that everything looked a little too convenient and well planned for simple coincidence to be easily believed. It would not have been the first time a man had used such a ploy to get out of danger. For that matter I'm sure women have done the same thing, that's why it isn't so unbelievable. In his own way, he was only trying to do what he thought was best for his Daughter and I respected that about him.

I knew that in this land of strange things, one thing that I must rely on for guidance was my own heart. I knew that no matter what, I must remain true to what I knew to be right, true and honorable. I knew what I was and what I was not, and I had to remain true to that or I would lose myself in this land. The kind of shady deals and double-crossing intentions I had contemplated that previous night was not who I was or wanted to be. For better or worse I could not compromise my integrity for an easy way to get what I wanted.

I got up and dressed in some fresh clothes and decided to go for a morning stroll around the courtyard. It was a bright morning already and the fresh breeze that lightly blew into the courtyard was refreshing. As I walked and looked about the courtyard I was amazed at the number of rooms that circled it. I wondered why a man would need that many rooms then the answer hit me. With eight wives, numerous children and perhaps the oldest son and his family living there waiting to inherit the house and businesses that adds up to a lot of people under one roof.

At this time in the morning I was not alone, it seemed a few others had woken up early and had decided to start their day as well. In the midst of people coming and going, I didn't notice Jealile or Merandia in amongst them. I was about to stop someone and ask where I could find either Jealile or Merandia but someone approached me from behind.

"Good morning dear boy, I trust you slept well?" Perriolich said warmly and friendly and one could almost believe that he was genuine about wanting my friendship.

"I slept excellent, your beds are quite comfortable indeed." I replied with a smile. "I trust you are also well rested?" I asked in a similar friendly fashion.

"Oh yes excellent indeed, fine, fine." He replied quickly and dismissively. "Walk with me won't you?" Perriolich asked with a wry smile as he started to walk down the courtyard. "Have you thought about what we talked about last night?" Perriolich asked with a curious smile.

"I have sir, and I must tell you that my intentions remain the same." I replied with an honest look. "I still love Jealile and want to marry her though I still need your help in getting to Kincaid sir." I finished and watched for his reaction.

"So you say dear boy, but you are not the first man to come to a rich man and ask for such things. Only later to abandon the poor girl once the money has been spent. What assurance do I have that this money you ask for will go to provide for my Daughters future as you claim?" Perriolich asked a very poignant question that caused me to pause to ponder an appropriate reply.

"I have given her my word to marry her, we are engaged sir and I take that pledge very seriously." I replied with all the sincerity I could muster in a single look.

"But my dear boy, that is an old custom and has no bearing here." Perriolich laughed, stopped and turned to me. "Even though you're engaged and you may very well take that seriously, you are not bound to even bid on her at the next Harvest Festival." Perriolich finished with an expectant look. "So you see my problem, you ask for trust when none is warranted." Perriolich finished and looked me over while waiting for my reaction.

"But I wouldn't do that, I love Jealile and want to be with her more than anything sir." I said, yet again and hoped that it would be enough to convince him but the look in his eye said that it was not enough.

"So you love her do you?" Perriolich asked with a cautiously curious tone.

"More than anything sir!" I replied assuredly.

"More than money?" Perriolich replied with a curious glint in his eye.

"Sir?" I answered with a confused tone in my voice and similar look on my face.

"I am an influential man and I usually get what I want. A word to the right men and I could assure you that you would never marry Jealile, or I could promise you that you would." Perriolich added with a superior and self-proud look about him. "I ask you here and now to choose one or the other. I will either give you the money you seek and promise you that you will never marry my Daughter or you may marry Jealile with no complications but I will not give you a single coin! The choice is yours, what do you say?" Perriolich said most assuredly and by the look in his eye and the house I was standing in I believed him. Not only did he strike me as the type of man that was capable of such a feat but that he was dead serious about it.

"Then I choose Jealile." I replied with conviction as I looked him square in the eye.

"Think hard boy, I am serious about this. Choose now and choose wisely, for I will not change my mind on this matter!" Perriolich said with a stern look in his eye and he even seemed taller at the moment. I knew that he indeed meant business on this issue. "Either way you choose, you walk away today and will not receive any further assistance from me, that I promise you!" Perriolich warned with a steadfast determined look in his eye that I had seen before in the eye of his Daughter.

"Then I will walk to Kincaid and sleep under the stars if I must but it will all be worth it if I have Jealile with me someday." I replied assuredly and quickly.

"If you do that dear boy then I will truly believe that you do indeed love her more than anything. I wish you luck on your journey Brian as you will surely need it. Take care of my Daughter well or you will suffer my wrath as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow." Perriolich replied with a lightly sinister smile and a pat on my shoulder as he shook my hand with his free hand.

"Good morning Father, Brian." Jealile said as she approached us and kissed her Father on the cheek and then took my hand in hers. "What did I miss?" Jealile asked with a warm smile, she seemed happy to see her Father and I talking in so friendly a manner.

"Good news Jealile, I have given Brian here my blessing to marry you." Perriolich replied with a magnanimous smile as he received an energetic hug from Jealile.

"Thank you Father, this is good news!" Jealile beamed as she held her Father in an embrace while she asked the next obvious question. "And the money we asked for?" Jealile asked tentatively and expectantly, clearly her face expected an encouraging answer.


"Sorry dear, not a coin. However, you can be assured that he does love you." Perriolich said with a wry smirk.

"What!" Jealile shouted in shock and anger as she pushed back away from her Father. Her demeanor demanded an explanation from her Father as she stood expectantly a few feet away.

"Dear, it's not personal or anything to do with Brian. If I give money to every man that claims to love one of my Daughters I'll be a poor man. Once you're married for a few years I'll help you in any way I can." Perriolich said in a conciliatory tone as he put his arm around Jealile who stood there in shock for a moment more before reacting.

"BULLSHIT!" Jealile exploded as once again she broke away from her Father's touch her eyes burned with fire. "You're too cheap to spend a coin on anyone but yourself!" Jealile growled as her whole being vibrated with her anger. I moved in and put my arm around her and after an initial jump at the shock, she held me tight and her quivering quieted somewhat.

"That's not true. You said yourself that I am free with my money amongst the family! But you ask that I give money away to a stranger and I can't do that!" Perriolich said now sounding a little hurt and taken aback by Jealile's attitude.

"We both know very well that it looks good on you if your wives and daughters are dressed in the finest things! You dress them in the finest clothes to make yourself look gracious and generous." Jealile spat back in disgust.

"Jealile." Perriolich said with a pained expression as he clutched his heart as if he was mortally wounded. The power of speech left him for the moment, his mouth opened up but no words could pass his lips.

"I'm not coinless you know. It will be tight but we can make it to Kincaid on our own and we shall!" Jealile said defiantly as she stood a little higher. "Come Brian, there is much to do and there is nothing left for us here . . . nothing!" Jealile finished with a disgusted look on her face and yet an eerie calm about her.

We walked away, leaving a silent Perriolich standing there for but a moment before he turned and walked off in his own direction. We walked to my room first and packed my meager belongings before walking up to Jealile's room. It was hard for both of us as she selectively packed only what was essential for the journey. So many things had to be left behind, memories both fond and foul not the least of them. A select parcel of clothes along with another parcel of absolute essential mementos and other supplies was all that she packed besides her sword and bow.

Not much was said as we prepared to leave Jealile's home for the last time. It was not the way that she had intended to leave but the issue was greater than her not getting her way. Some time later Jealile explained that she could not stand the double standard, treating her like a naive child. Jealile was anything but naïve, and had seen her share of pain and learned the harsh ways of the world long ago. She had seen around her men and women that would promise the world and deliver nothing. Like most people, she had learned how to spot them and avoid them. As we saddled up a pair of horses in the basement stables it was there that a screaming madwoman found us as we cinched up the last of the packs to the horses.

"JEALILE! JEALILE!" Merandia screamed constantly and her voice echoed off the walls long before she came into view.

"What is it Mother." Jealile said with a sigh and a determined yet drained look on her face.

"It's true then! You're leaving! Leaving like this?" Merandia said in a panicked tearful scream as she clutched her Daughter tight.

"What can I say other than Father has no faith in me or Brian. We must get to Kincaid one way or another. I will not stay here and be another trophy to be handed out to one of his clients and associates to seal a deal." Jealile said with equal determination and loathing.

"Your Sisters have all married into good families! How can you see something sinister in that?" Merandia replied still in tears but her eyes held a look of disbelief as she beheld her Daughter.

"I'm not stupid Mother, I've seen the quiet late night talks. I've seen the pattern and everything he does . . . everything, absolutely everything is to line his pockets with coin." Jealile finished with a pained determination and a tear in her own eye. "I won't live like that, I must leave. It is time that I lead my own life away from this place." Jealile finished with a quivering lip as she tried not to break down completely. Seeing her Mother in such pain and turmoil was hard on her.

"If you must leave then by all means leave but not like this, not under these conditions! Please talk to your Father and work things out first." Merandia pleaded earnestly. "Please, talk to him one more time for me!"

"Mother, he has given me no other choice but to leave. He does not understand how much Brian and I love each other. There is nothing left to say, I will keep in touch Mother, but I must leave." Jealile said in a comforting manner as she tried to calm her Mother.

"If you will not speak to him than give me some time to talk to him. Why must you leave today, why not tomorrow? What harm could one more day's delay do?" Merandia said with a pleading yet searching look in her eye as she searched her daughters face for some sign of hope.

"I cannot stay here another minute!" Jealile said firmly. "I'm sorry, but I can't, I simply can't!" Jealile finished and turned away from her Mother. For a brief second Merandia seemed lost until her eye caught mine, and she gripped me and held me tight by the collar.

"One day! That's all I ask! Stay in an Inn if you must but give me one day!" Merandia pleaded as she rested her head on my shoulder and held me tight.

"It's not the way that we want to leave things either but Perriolich's position on this matter is firm." I replied as I stoked her hair to comfort the sobbing woman.

"I don't care! You can't go like this! You can't take my Daughter away like this! It isn't right." Merandia said as she took my hand and placed some coins in it. "I'll pay for the Inn. Just give me one day to soften him up. By noon tomorrow I will come to see you either with him or alone. You can't leave town while you're still angry with him. Give me one day to patch things up." Merandia silently pleaded with a scared, timid look that tore at my heart. I looked at Jealile who silently nodded her agreement.

"We will be at the Rolling Wave Inn by the docks. We will leave not long after noon tomorrow." I said as I held her head tight and smiled into her face.

"Wonderful!" Merandia cried out in joy as she kissed me firmly before she kissed Jealile. "I'll turn him around, you'll see! Everything will be fine, I promise!" She said as she hugged her Daughter tight.

Before long we were able to tear ourselves away from a now much happier Merandia and get on our way. Naturally we rode over to Yeoline's house and brought her up to speed on everything that had happened. She was as hurt and upset about Perriolich's reaction as we were. At this point I still had not told a soul about the deal and offer that Perriolich had made with me. I didn't want to give Jealile yet another reason to hate her Father and I didn't see what purpose telling her about it would serve.

We sat around and visited with Yeoline's family and talked until dusk that day. It didn't take long for Yeoline to pack and be ready for the road. Even though we told her it was not necessary for her to leave tonight, she insisted to stay with us that night at the Rolling Wave Inn. I tried to argue that she might as well stay in her own bed one more night but she argued back that it was a sign of solidarity.

It was agreed that our paths were linked and we were bound to one goal, to get to Kincaid. We agreed to stick together from here on out until we arrived at our Estate. I viewed it as ours rather than strictly mine, for they deserved it as much as I did considering all they have done for me. None of us knew what the future held for us but we knew one thing, that we would face it together.

We retreated to the Rolling Wave Inn and checked in for the night. Part of us wanted to seek out our friends and find the comfort in numbers but mostly our souls craved solitude. We told ourselves that we only selected one room to save money, but in reality we wanted to spend the night together. When the door to the small guest room closed we looked around and surveyed our home for the night.

The room was small, big enough for two double beds with a night table between them. There was some room to walk around the beds but not much more than that. It was a modest room but the price was right and it served the purpose, namely shelter for the night.

We looked at the beds and the awkward moment of discussing the sleeping arrangements arrived. None of us knew just what to say or how to start the conversation. We stood there with our packs over our shoulders and danced around the subject for a moment.

"Well, I suppose I will take this bed." I said pointing to one bed. "And you two can take that one." I finished by pointing at the other one, trying to look not disappointed by my own suggestion.

It seemed the only decent and honorable thing to offer, I couldn't bring myself to suggest what my heart desired. Luckily I was not the only one with that thought on my mind.

"Is that what you really want?" Jealile said softly with a hint of an unsure tone in her voice.

"No dear, but how would it look for the three of us to be seen sleeping in the same bed." I said quietly. "I don't want to make things look bad for either of you." I finished sincerely and remained where I stood.

"Well I don't care what people think. But if anyone asks we can tell them that we did sleep separately." Jealile said while she walked over to one bed and tossed her pack down on it. "But after all we've been through, I need to hold you, here, tonight." Jealile said while she turned to look at me.

"I agree, but I didn't want to push anything." I said as I tossed my pack on the same bed.

"I don't know about her, but I need to be fucked right and proper!" Yeoline said as she tossed her pack on the same bed while turning to face me.

"Sounds good to me." I said with a raised eyebrow as I accepted Yeoline's embrace while she drew herself near to me and pressed her body tight against mine.