Broken and Bonded Ch. 03-04

Story Info
Sequel to By choice or by force. This is Trudy's story.
4.4k words
4.84
1.2k
00

Part 2 of the 11 part series

Updated 03/17/2024
Created 02/24/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers

Chapter Three

Matt had gone out running, and the doctors and Sheila were all locked away in one of the outer buildings; running tests; and analysing data; and doing lots of research.

They had moved their makeshift clinic from Jonathon's estate and set it up in this small building, just to the side of Greg's home.

Jonathon had contacted the hospital where Dr Phillips and Nurse Sheila worked and informed them that he had seconded the medical duo on council business, and until further notice.

He smiled a little smugly. It was still pleasant to be able to throw his weight around like that and get things done.

Dr Grey had a GP practice surgery with two other partners, and they had assured him that a locum had been found and could cover his patients for as long as was needed.

And so, the three of them had committed themselves to this project.

This virus had almost killed him; it had almost killed his friend Greg; and only through the aid of one miraculous girl were they both still alive.

They still did not know how the two of them had contracted the virus, and why no one else in their immediate contacts had succumbed; and Jonathon was very afraid that the council was keeping secrets about this illness too.

He was almost positive that it was not just the two of them who had fallen victim to this virus; so, what was becoming of any other infected shifters?

These were just some of the questions that he had set his medical trio to answer.

Greg was somewhere inside his house, Paul -- Jonathon's assistant had gone off on an errand. The medical three were locked in their makeshift clinic; and his brother was out running -- again.

All Jonathon could do right now was sit and wait, for someone to come and join him; and he hated doing that, feeling that useless.

"I've just spoken to Laurie," Greg said coming and joining him on the veranda. "She and Michael are driving down at lunch time on Friday; and Iris and James will travel down in the early evening."

"And your sister?" Jonathon asked lightly. "Will she be joining us too?"

"Yes, Laurie said that Trudy would be travelling down with them."

"Ah," Jonathon sighed in satisfaction. Yes, all his plans were slowly coming together, now all he had to do was to keep nudging at his brother.

"Perhaps tomorrow night would be a good night to invite Mr Frawnings over -- and start the process of humanising his pack?"

Greg gave a little sigh. "I shall give him a call in a moment," he said evenly.

Jonathon smiled across at him. "I am disrupting your home, my friend; I can only apologise and hope that things will resolve themselves with time."

"Oh, I don't mind really. You were always a very good friend to me; and I think that we get on very well; we think the same way over things that are important."

"Yes, that we do indeed."

Matt came shooting out of the trees then, like a bullet from a gun; and both men could only stare in awe at him.

"Matt! You look like the hounds of hell are on your trail!" Jonathon called out lightly. But there was a wealth of warning and Matt almost dug a hole in the ground with his feet, as he reined himself in.

He was drenched in sweat as he approached the two of them on the veranda.

"You've been gone since dawn; have you been running all this time, my brother?"

Mathew sat down and flicked away some of the sweat in irritation. "I couldn't sleep and this nervous energy that I seem to have acquired is driving me up the wall."

"And across the ceiling and down the other side by the looks of it!" Greg chuckled sympathetically.

Jonathon laughed too, but he touched his brother's arm lightly. "Is everything ok?" he quietly asked

"Fine," Matt smiled his dismissal of his concern.

As soon as Jonathon had realised who Greg's sister was, his first instinct had been to remove his brother from her vicinity; even after one meeting it seemed that Matt was becoming obsessed with her; and Jonathon feared the outcome of that obsession.

Her anger and bitterness at Matt's loss of memory, and whatever else she resented, caused her to literally spit vitriol in Matt's face every time he tried to so much as talk to her, which of course had only driven Matt closer to her as he tried to figure out her issues, and secrets.

Jonathon had sent his brother away in the hopes that he would forget her again -- but then everything fell to pieces with this virus.

Jonathon had been told how in the chaos that followed his collapse; it was Greg's sister who had taken charge; and he probably owed his life to her in the first.

She had spent time with him -- helped care for him during his illness, and he had begun to see the value of the woman.

Then Matt returned, and the two of them seemed to reach some sort of a truce, but his brother was in pain again now, and indeed ever since she had left with Greg, Matt had been suffering; Jonathon knew why, even if Matt did not.

His memories of a painful time were trying to resurface, and the agony of his brother was painful to watch.

Jonathon thought a couple more careful nudges, contact with the woman again perhaps, and a familiar setting; and then he was hoping for a sledgehammer moment; where the wound would reopen, and his memories would flood back in.

He was hoping to heal his brother once and for all, to fill in those gaps, and set things right.

He was hoping to right some wrongs and heal some wounds.

He sought redemption and peace for himself and his brother, and perhaps a better future for others too.

*

Jonathon sat out on the veranda again that evening, this time with Bill Frawnings.

"My sons are getting restless, and the full moon is still a couple of weeks away," Bill sighed. "Every new season they feel the need a little more acutely it seems."

"They are losing the battle I fear," Jonathon said sombrely. "We all know how strong the pull can get -- that is why we can never ignore the call for too long. But for some the call becomes everything, their day-to-day life is the false bit, and they begin to live for the moon and the shift."

"What can I do?" Bill asked in despair. "I tried everything that I could think of -- even with the attempts at bonding with one or both of Greg's daughters, in the hopes of creating a more family environment; and that failure only seems to have made things worse. What happened with Laurie like that was unforgivable and could have ended so very badly."

"They learned nothing from what happened then?"

"No, if anything they are more restless and aggressive than ever."

"They are in need."

"In need? In need of what though?"

Jonathon smiled a little smile. "You had the right idea I think, with the family environment, but I think we need to prepare your boys... make them a little more receptive to family life, and the more approachable from a female point of view."

"You think you know someone?" Bill asked hopefully. "Someone who can introduce them to the right kind of females?"

"Patience, my friend," Jonathon said with a smile. "I promise you that I am on this problem, Bill. I have a couple of calls to make, and some arrangements to sort; but you and your pack, you need to prepare yourselves for some major changes."

"Oh, I don't know that I need to be involved," Bill objected. "I am not the one with a problem and I am most certainly not looking for another mate."

"Would that be such a terrible thing though?" Jonathon asked gently.

"You know the score, one life -- one mate. You, me, Greg; we have none of us sought new mates after the loss of the first."

"That is true, but I am beginning to think that our choice to be alone, does not mean a lifetime decision."

Bill looked at him in shock. "You are contemplating a second bonding?" he whispered.

Jonathon smiled. "We have a life; we have value too; why should we condemn ourselves to loneliness until death?"

"Well... perhaps it is as you say, but for me -- I am nowhere near in the right place to start again."

"No and that is one of the things that I mean to change."

"Oh?"

Jonathon sighed. "Do you trust me, Bill?"

Bill nodded eagerly. "Yes, yes of course you are an elder -- the elder; you are beyond doubt... I would trust you with my life."

"Will you trust me with your pack?" he asked softly.

"I'm sorry?" Bill blinked and sat back a little.

"Will you hand over authority of your pack -- to me?"

"But why? Was I such a failure as pack leader then?" Bill's emotions were running so strong that he was almost crying.

"I do not mean forever -- just for long enough to make a few changes; then I will hand it straight back to you -- I promise."

"But I still don't understand why you need to have total charge and authority. Is it not enough that I have absolute faith in you -- without question or reserve?"

Jonathon sighed. "I do not mean to punish you -- or seem harsh; but really my way is the fastest and best way; you will see that in the end -- I promise."

Bill sat back a little straighter, almost as if he was bracing himself. "Very well... what do I need to do?"

Jonathon smiled. "Nothing as yet, my friend. I have things to arrange first, so you have time to think if over and get used to the idea. Then we will meet up again -- next week, we shall meet up again on the Friday afternoon, I think, and I shall tell you, my plan; and then we will begin the process."

"Very well," Bill nodded. He looked at Jonathon. "What shall I say to the boys?"

"For now, nothing, let's not give them room to question things and rebel; we will tell them what they need to know -- and when they need to know, but not until."

"Yes, I see the sense in that."

"Good."

They sat and enjoyed a nightcap together and then Bill left looking more optimistic than when he arrived.

"You think that you can do something with them?" Matt asked as he joined him on the veranda.

"I think we must do something with them," Jonathon said quietly. "I think that if we do not try, then a bigger trouble will come and haunt us all."

"Will you bring the council into it?"

"No, I don't believe they need to be involved -- even if they were inclined to get themselves involved."

"No, I can't imagine them asserting themselves either."

"So, how long will you be around for?" Jonathon asked casually as his mind planned ahead.

Matt shrugged his shoulders. "I've nowhere that I particularly need to be."

"So, you can hang around for a few days, perhaps a couple of weeks?"

"Yes, I can do that, any reason though?"

"I am thinking of paying Seline a quick visit -- probably early next week... I could do with you driving me down there."

"Oh." There was a world of resignation in Matt's tone, and Jonathon grinned in understanding.

"We won't be staying." he reassured his brother. "It'll just be a flying visit -- hopefully."

"Well, that would be something, she can hardly get me climbing onto roofs and digging up dried out vegetable patches, on a flying visit; but is there a purpose to your visit -- or is it just a catching up, social sort of thing?"

"There is definitely a purpose, but that is all I am prepared to say for now."

"Keeping secrets brother?" Matt grinned but his dark eyes were alight with curiosity.

"If I can talk Seline around then I will tell you all about it on our trip back." Jonathon promised.

"That's a big if so, I shall not hold my breath."

Jonathon chuckled. Seline was a stubborn woman at that best of times, but she had a soft spot for the Richards' brothers, and Jonathon would use every persuasion in his arsenal to get her to agree.

"I shall call her now and tell her to expect us on Monday, around lunch time."

"Very well," Matt nodded. "At least I shall have the weekend to relax, before I am subjected to her teenagers, and young girls again."

Jonathon did not answer that and was grateful that Greg chose that moment to join them.

"Bill was full of praise for you tonight, Jon; I hope you can deliver on his expectations of you." Greg sighed as he sat down between the two brothers.

*

The house was to be a hive of activity the next morning, and rooms were being opened up all over and aired out.

Matt decided that since he was superfluous to requirements, for everyone including his brother, then the best thing he could do was to keep out from underfoot.

The restless energy was with him again, and in every corner and room of this house; it was as if ghosts from the past were trying to break out and connect with him.

His head was a constant thump, thump, thump of pain, and no amount of painkillers or alcohol could dim it for long.

He donned his shorts and t-shirt and in the predawn light, he headed out to the woods, and stopped for a moment under that massive oak tree, the one that seemed to keep on calling to him.

Once he was sure there was no one to see him, he opened up his muscles and then he ran.

He did not need his inner wolf for strength or speed, he had not shifted to the wolf in decades, had felt no call nor need to change.

He stormed through the large forest, easily following the path that he had created from his last few morning runs.

His run would take care of all of the morning, and if the energy within him still persisted then he would simply repeat his circuit.

He was still out running when Laurie arrived with Michael and Trudy.

Greg came out to greet them all warmly, and Jonathon followed behind.

"Father!" Michael hugged his father warmly, even as Laurie did the same with her own parent.

"Trudy," Greg smiled at his sister. "I'm so glad that you could make it down here too."

He led them into the hallway. "Trudy, you have your own room as usual, and Laurie, you can use your room and Michael can use the room next door." he added discreetly.

Moments later, Trudy stepped into her bedroom and allowed the sudden silence to sooth her.

She looked around this room with bittersweet fondness, as she walked slowly towards the window.

Every significant event in her life had happened in this house; and many of them in this room.

She dropped her bag onto the bed and slipped off her jacket on this warm sunny afternoon.

She smoothed down her jeans and then happy that she was suitably attired, she quietly left her room, and then shortly afterwards she left the house.

******

Chapter Four

Trudy walked to the edge of the trees as she always did when she came to her brother's estate. It was pleasant and tranquil just under those first trees. Away from the main house and out of sight of it and its people, but not into the woodland properly.

It was a pleasant afternoon; the sun was well over the trees, and it was comfortably warm.

She took another step, and then another.

The massive oak tree still had pride of place, and on impulse, she reached up and grabbed the low hanging branch.

Pushing off with her feet, she easily pulled herself up into the tree, and then she moved further up and in.

The branch she sought was on the other side, and it took a good swing, and then a leap of faith, but after years of climbing this tree, she had learnt the best route up it.

She settled on the branch and her fingers found the carving she sought. Deep into the bark of the tree were the initials, T, and M & B, circled with a heart.

Trudy would never forget that day, it was a moment of whimsy that turned into something so poignant, when Matt's fingernail had turned black and grown into a point. How he had carved their initials as they sat side by side on that branch.

"It will be our witness," he murmured huskily. "The record of our bonding; as long as this tree survives so will our love."

She had felt a shadow pass over her at that moment and she shivered, this tree had been around all her life, and before that. It was strong and sturdy, but it was still just a tree, and vulnerable to the elements.

Matt wrapped his strong arm around her, and their lips found one another's in a passionate kiss.

*

She trailed her fingers across the carving again and a tear trickled down her cheek, as she lost herself to things of the past.

Then Trudy gave a little sigh, and her shoulders went back with determination.

There, that was her wallowing done for this visit, now she would enjoy the company of her loved ones.

She nimbly scrambled down the tree and landed on the ground with a light thud.

The silence of the forest made her look around her and she lifted her face and breathed in.

"I know you are there," she said casually.

There was no sound, no movement -- nothing.

Trudy stood for a moment more and then with a shrug, she turned and walked away.

She was about halfway across the grassy field, when she heard the sound of someone running behind her, and she turned to look.

"Oh my!" she sighed under her breath, as Matt came bounding towards her; all bulging muscles and hot sweat. She was instantly taken back to another time when he had looked much the same.

His head was down and so he did not see her at first, as she stood there watching him charging towards her.

Suddenly he looked up and realised that he was going to run right into her.

She watched as the turf kicked up around his feet, as he reined himself in sharply, and came to a dead stop, in a little hole in the ground.

"You!" he said as he fought to get his breath and his composure back. "What are you doing here?"

"Watching you digging up my brother's land with your feet!"

He stepped out of the hole and walked casually towards her, and Trudy was surprised to see the glint of humour in his dark eyes.

She turned away from him and continued strolling back towards the house, and Matt fell in beside her.

"When did you arrive?" he asked conversationally.

She shrugged her shoulders, as she tried to ignore the thrill of him towering over her. "About an hour ago, I came down with Laurie and Michael."

"Ah, a family visit then, just for the day -- or are you all here for the weekend?"

She looked up at him through narrowed eyes. "Perhaps they are just dropping me off here, perhaps I will stay for a while."

"What? Nothing to rush back for?" he asked huskily, and Trudy's heart beat a flutter.

"I can please myself," she shrugged again.

"Good for you!" he said warmly.

Trudy shivered as his warm tone seemed to caress her skin. 'Damn it! He'd always had that effect on her!'

She threw back her shoulders and increased her strides and speed, and off course he did the same -- except he did it with great ease and elegance where she just looked like she was scurrying along.

Jonathon was sitting out on the veranda, and he smiled happily as the two of them approached.

"Ah I wondered what had become of you my brother, and you found Miss Beaumont on your travels, I see."

"We met on the walk back," Matt nodded. "And now I need to go and shower and change, and so if you would both excuse me."

He strode into the house, and Jonathon nodded at Trudy. "Join me for an early drink?" he asked her politely.

She hesitated. "I should be thinking of freshening up too," she said doubtfully.

"Pah, you look as fresh as a daisy as it is, and time enough for anything more later -- come and join me for an afternoon drink... please."

Trudy gave a little sigh and sat down beside him.

Jonathon gave a little click of his fingers and as if by magic, a person stepped out onto the veranda.

"Sir," the stranger half bowed.

"Ah, Peter, could you arrange a couple of glasses of Sauvignon to be brought out to us, please."

"Sir," the man nodded and disappeared.

"I don't remember him as being a part of my brother's staff?" Trudy muttered, resentful at this overtaking of her brother's home.

"No, he is not... I need someone to be at my beck and call, and it seemed unfair to impose on your brother's household staff; and Paul my assistant is too busy to be that... so I had Peter come down from my estate."

totallyatease
totallyatease
1,029 Followers
12