Buried Treasure Ch. 86-90

Story Info
Changes Abound.
11.9k words
4.84
12k
26

Part 18 of the 20 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/13/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,300 Followers

Preacher's POV
County Road 266, West of Arrowhead Lake

Fence was driving us away from Lake Arrowhead, intentionally taking roads with less traffic to avoid any roadblocks. We'd lost the cop we saw behind us at the boat ramp, and we knew it was only a matter of time until the All Points Bulletin ended with us pulled over. "We need a new ride," Fence said. "Anything."

"I know." Ahead of us on the right, a garage door opened and we could see a woman with a garbage bag walking out. We passed the home, seeing the Jeep Cherokee in the garage as she dumped the bag in a garbage can. A second later and we were past the trees and out of sight. "Turn in there," I said as I pointed to a house where the driveway hadn't been plowed yet, meaning the house was likely vacant. "Stop." I got out and leaned back in. "Hide this thing behind the garage or shed if you can. Just make sure you can't see it from the road. Bring our stuff to the end of the driveway and wait."

"You got it," he said. "What are you going to do?"

"Get us a clean car." I turned and walked towards the road, checking my pistol in my jacket pocket and my Bowie knife. I made my way back to the driveway, then moved along the trees until I was in the back yard. Stopping at the side door to the garage, I listened and heard nothing. Inserting the big knife in the door, I jimmied it and pushed it open.

The light was off, and I used my flashlight to make my way around the warm Jeep. Stealing it was pointless if the stolen car gets reported minutes later; we needed time to get back home. I moved to the kitchen door, sheathing the knife and pulling out my Glock. There was no point in using a mask, not when our names and faces were already known.

The door to the home was locked, this time with a deadbolt; I could see it extended with the flashlight. My knife wouldn't work, but my boot would. I kicked the door once, splintering it, then kicked it open with the second blow. The woman screamed, hiding behind the breakfast bar with a chef's knife. "Drop it," I yelled as I pointed my pistol at her head. "A knife is useless against a gun. Do what I tell you, and you will live," I promised.

She dropped the knife onto the granite countertop. "Don't hurt us," she pleaded as she raised her hands in the air.

I came around and grabbed her by the neck, moving her into the living room. "Who else is home?"

"My kids," she said as she shivered in fear. "Don't hurt them! They're only twelve."

"Call them in here and tell them to cooperate," I said.

She nodded. "Trent! Taylor! Come down here now!"

Thirty seconds later, I heard a door open upstairs; a young girl was standing there holding her cellphone. "The police are on their way, Mom," she said as she held the phone out. "The bad man with the Glock Nineteen in the living room should leave while he can."

I hit the woman with the butt of my pistol across her forehead, angry at the turn of events. She screamed again and fell to the ground, blood streaming down her face. "HANG UP AND GET DOWN HERE OR SHE'S DEAD," I told the girl.

She pressed a button on her phone and dropped it to the carpet, but I knew it wouldn't matter. The cops would be on the way.

The girl came down the stairs, rushing into her Mom's arms as I tried to figure a way out of this. "Where's the boy," I said.

"Here," I heard from upstairs. I turned towards the boy, bringing my pistol up, right before the shotgun he was pointing at me fired. It felt like someone kicked me in the shoulder; I tried to raise my arm, but it wouldn't listen to me. I heard the pump shotgun rack and fire, and another deer slug hit me in the chest. I dropped the pistol and sank to the carpeting. Of all the ways I dreamed my outlaw life would end, dying at the hands of a twelve-year-old never came up.

The girl kicked the gun into the corner and held her Mom tight as everything went dark.

Sawyer's POV
Oxbow Lake Conference Room

The Alphas piled into the room at the last moment, each wanting to be in after the others. It was another one of those stupid dominance plays, trying to show you were more important to the next. I didn't care, and that was why I was already standing by my chair. I was talking to Colletta, Coral, Chase, and Carson while the rest were all milling about outside. Using the family link, I spoke to Mom about the minor detail we had hidden from her in our instructions. "Mom, we didn't tell you EXACTLY what the Council said about the red and blue pills," I said.

"Wait, you told me they would prefer blue, but to use Red if I needed to." She looked at us in shock.

Chase took over. "The Alphas voted on allowing you to inform them of our secret and it failed on a seven to five vote. Chairman Coffey told me that you were explicitly instructed not to reveal our nature to humans. Sawyer and I agreed that if you needed to go red, you shouldn't question yourself. It was my call, Mom. You did the right thing, but it's probably best not to tell them about the FBI Director."

"You think?" Mom smacked Chase in the back of the head. "You're in enough trouble already with them! What, you don't think I could handle knowing what the Council said and making my OWN decisions?"

"Mom, we were trying to..." and Mom smacked the back of MY head.

"The answer is NEVER to hide things from your MOTHER. I WILL find out. You all should know that," she said.

Everyone made it behind their chair, and only then did the Council members walk in. They took their seats, Chairman Coffey first, then we all sat together. "Welcome to the final meeting of this Alpha Summit," the Chairman said. "We have two agenda items this morning, then open discussion. The first item is the health of DEA Director Grimes."

Everyone looked at Chase. "His injuries are not as severe as we initially feared. He awoke just before the meeting and showed no signs of motor damage like you might see with a human after a stroke. The Oxbow Lake Doctor is continuing testing of his cognitive functions now."

"So he will make a full recovery," Councilman Baronsky asked in his Russian accent.

"We are hopeful, but keep in mind that he is human. There is still the potential for setbacks like infection, blood clots, and other issues."

"How long until he is out of the Clinic," the Chairman asked.

"Perhaps two weeks, depending on his recovery. I extend my appreciation to Oxbow Lake for their facilities and their medical staff, without which we would be dealing with a fatality we could not explain. Once he has recovered sufficiently, we will move him to Arrowhead."

"Not a human hospital," Alpha Coffey asked.

"No. We can't explain the injury or our medical treatment, and neither Doc nor I maintain surgical qualifications in the human world. We are better off hiding him during his recovery," Chase said.

"Will that work? He's suspended, there are legal proceedings with him?"

"We can claim illness, and let him correspond with his office and his lawyer electronically. We will make it work, Alphas. Frank Grimes is an Arrowhead responsibility; I am formally applying for Trusted Agent status for him, provided he agrees to maintain our secret as he has thus far."

"Another one? By Luna, when does this END?" Alpha Kirk slammed his fist on the table. "How many is that now?" I could see Mom sitting behind Chase, fighting a shift. I was hoping no one else noticed.

"It doesn't matter how many there are as long as they maintain the secret," Chase responded. "Frank Grimes is an honorable man, and he fought to protect my family. He worked with us to eliminate a threat to the Arrowhead Pack, and he nearly died in this very room. The least we owe him is formal recognition of his status."

The discussion went back and forth before the Chairman ended it. "Enough," he said. "Frank Grimes will be given Trusted Agent status, provided he survives. Alpha Chase, you will ensure that Mr. Grimes does not leave Arrowhead, or have unmonitored communications with the human world until he is properly informed and agrees to the status. If he refuses, he is your responsibility to end."

"I understand, Mr. Chairman, and agree to those terms." Chase sat back as we all breathed a sigh of relief. I snuck another look at Mom, seeing her relax at the thought of Frank staying with her at Arrowhead.

"This issue is closed. The next item on the agenda is the meeting with the heads of Homeland Security, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Secret Service, and the Attorney General. Luna Colletta, the floor is yours."

Over the next twenty minutes, Colletta recounted her meeting. She provided the Council a copy of the signed immunity agreement that Saywer had written for her, and the reaction of the FBI to the information she brought with her. "The agreement stops investigations into my family and our contacts, the danger of which I understand Frank Grimes impressed on you earlier," she said. "We have made no commitments beyond the information we provided them, and allowing them to list Chase as a cooperating witness."

"Not much of a need for that after last night," Martin said. "There's nothing left of the Sons on the streets worth worrying about." With the deaths and arrests in Duluth, only a handful of Sons existed north of the border.

"This is true. The FBI has agreed to stop the investigation and delete the information they gathered. Most importantly, they are no longer looking into Rori King's background, which could be particularly problematic for our kind."

"Excellent work, Luna Colletta. I am relieved that our decision was correct, that we did not need to expose our nature to end this situation." Mom accepted his thanks, then went back to her seat on the side of the room with the Betas. "Any other business?"

"The trial of the Arrowhead Alphas," Alpha Kirk asked.

"After the New Year. We have a process; they are entitled to time to prepare their defense, and the Council Prosecutor needs to review the case and agree the charges should go forward." There was no other business. "Alpha Michael, you have been an excellent host."

"Thank you, sir. Vans are ready for those who requested a ride to the airport in Duluth or Minneapolis."

"With that, the meeting is adjourned." The Council stood, followed by the Alphas and the Betas; we waited while the Council filed out before the meeting broke up.

"I'll take Mom back to the Clinic," Chase told us. "Thank you both for coming."

"Our flight leaves in two hours for Winnepeg," Coral said. "I have to get back home."

"I'm so proud of you, Alpha Coral. I'm proud of all of you." She wiped away a tear. "This is it for a while, have a safe trip home," Mom said as she hugged her children. She gave Carson a long hug. "Please explain to your Pack why I couldn't return for Christmas," she said.

"Everyone will understand why you are staying at Arrowhead," he said. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, baby. I love you all." She smacked him on the back of the head. "No more secrets from Mom, you understand?"

"Yes, Mom," he said as he rubbed his neck.

I gave them all a big hug before walking with my Beta out to the rental car. We had to get back home; one benefit of the deal for us was that we could now deposit the money in the bag we'd brought home from Los Angeles. It would be a memorable Christmas for the Donner Pack.

Ch. 87

Chase Nygaard's POV
Oxbow Lake Clinic

Mom practically ran to the clinic after her family went to the cars, eager to see her man. The Betas and warriors guarding the clinic stood and bowed to her as she went past them and down the hall to his room.

He was unconscious again, and the tracheotomy tube was gone. Doc was sewing up the incision from it on his neck. "He's healed enough to be rid of that," I asked.

"Yes. I could hardly believe it, but Frank's trachea has healed sufficiently for him to breathe normally. If we left the tube in, it would hold up his recovery." He pointed to the screen, where the image showed the results of the inspection.

I hit play, watching as he inserted the camera into his windpipe and down to the wound. I could see the tissue had healed around the stitches I had placed in it, sealing it completely. "He was able to breathe without issue?"

"Yes, I removed the balloon and verified normal respirations with the machine removed. I sedated him thirty minutes ago to remove the device." He finished the last stitch, sitting up and turning off the light he was using. "Healing rates are on par with a werewolf of Alpha or Beta level. Like ours, the healing has proceeded from inside to out, prioritizing important functions." That was an interesting tidbit; the blood had been from different Pack members. Perhaps the stronger blood of the dominant wolf had pushed through? We wouldn't know until his wolf emerged how strong it was if it did come forward.

"His brain? Was there any evidence of brain damage," Colletta asked.

"His cognitive tests were all within normal ranges, and he had no short-term memory loss. The prognosis is good; too good, in fact."

"What do you mean, Doc?"

"He's healing too fast, and his scent is changing. With the Alphas and the Council still hanging around, I'm nervous that one of them will insist on seeing him. If they do, there is no hiding the change coursing through his body."

I looked up at Colletta. "We need to move him to Arrowhead," I said, and she nodded as she gripped his hand. "Can he be moved?"

"Carefully, yes. Now that Mr. Grimes is no longer dependent on the ventilator, he needs rest and monitoring. The fever will come back in cycles and require management, but you can handle that. If things hold to normal schedules, he will have his first shift in two to four days. I think it would be best if that occurs in the privacy of your Pack and not ours."

"Possum and I can watch him," I said. "I'm sure Mom will stay with him."

"I'll take good care of him," she promised.

"I'm available by phone, of course, and I'll swing by once a day to back you up."

"What will you tell them if they ask to see him?"

He thought about it. "That he is critical but stable. Due to the risk of infection, I cannot allow visitors. I will speak to the Alpha, and we can keep the guards here to maintain the illusion. Your absence I can blame on your responsibilities at Arrowhead." He checked the clock. "We should do it quickly. No one will expect him to move now, and the vehicles leaving will provide us cover." His eyes glazed over slightly as he used his Pack link. "Alpha Michael agrees. He will ensure the guests are kept in front of the Pack House while we remove him, and his warriors will watch the corners."

"I'll have my Excursion brought around to the emergency exit." I contacted my driver and bodyguards, Warriors Tom and Meghan, to drive around and open the back, laying the seats down. The emergency exit was on the backside of the Clinic, hidden from view from the Pack House. With the threat from the Sons over, we had been moving our Pack members back home, our drivers shuttling them in our cars. Another SUV leaving wouldn't be noticed, as all the Alphas and their escorts were departing today as well.

I spent the next few minutes with Doc going over the care regimen for Frank. There were a lot of things he wanted to be called about immediately. He asked me to Skype him at four-hour intervals so he could keep up on how he was doing. "When his shift is close, I want to be there," he said. "This could be a historic moment, and I need to capture it in my notes."

After verifying that we were clear to proceed, we wheeled his bed to the exit and moved him into the back of the big SUV. Colletta and I jumped in the rear of the SUV with him, while Meghan got into the passenger seat and Tom put it in gear. The windows were tinted, and no one paid attention as we drove away from the buildings towards the entrance road. I checked his vitals, and he was doing well, stronger than when I'd examined him before breakfast. Sitting back, I rested against the window and pulled my Mom into my side. "He's strong, and he's recovering so quickly," I said. "I'm worried about what happens to you if he makes the change, Mom. I'm worried he'll reject you."

"Why?" She looked shocked, wondering why I'd say such a thing.

"You have found and lost your fated mate, and you know you won't get another. If he goes through the change and survives, what happens then? He's a new wolf, and Luna may have given him a fated mate of his own out there. What if his wolf doesn't feel anything for you? Can you take away his fated mate because you choose him based on when he was human?" She looked down, her face falling as she considered my words. "I know you love him. Your love is unexpected, sudden, and exciting, but will it be enough? I worry if there is a future for you two."

"He may not get a wolf," she said. "Maybe he heals faster, maybe gains some characteristics, but there are no guarantees. No one has ever changed a human into one of us."

"Honestly, I'm hoping that's the case; that after the blood works his way out of his system, he once again smells and acts like a human. Anything else raises too many questions."

"It's up to him," she said. "I would never take his choice away, Chase. No matter how much I want him, I can't decide for him. You are right; it would be simpler without the wolf involved." She lifted his hand to her lips, kissing his fingers. "My wolf is fond of him; he protected her, and my wolf has not fought me on our developing relationship. She knows there is no fated mate for her now. She was resigned to living without one now, living for her babies and grandchildren. If Luna wills it, his wolf and mine will be mates."

"If Luna wills it," I said in a whisper.

Mom moved to lie down near his head. As we approached Arrowhead, I got close enough to link with my mate. I quickly explained what had happened with Frank's accelerated healing and why we had snuck him out of Oxbow. "I'll be home in fifteen minutes, Rori. Anything going on?"

"I'm exhausted, I haven't slept much," she responded. "Most of the Brotherhood hasn't slept much either. We're putting together a brunch with the food leftover from the pool party. We're keeping our checkpoints manned and supplemental patrols with the other warriors, and letting the rest sleep. A few have left already, others want to stay for a day or two before heading back home."

I could see that; if they bought plane tickets, they probably planned to stay a few days. With Christmas less than a week away, flights on short notice weren't cheap, and changing airline flights might be difficult and costly. "We could bring back the pool party now that the excitement has died down," I said. "Oxbow has partied with the Brotherhood before, and we already have food and beer stocked."

"With swimsuits this time," she replied with a laugh. "I'm good with that; we can be low-key with it and tell them they can leave when they want. I'll have Roadkill organize some snowmobiling and ice-fishing excursions, maybe some ATV riding. I'd like them to have some fun since many changed plans and rushed here to help."

It would be interesting; most of the Chapters were from the South, and they thought driving your pickup out on the ice, then building a big fire, was the craziest thing ever. "We can take those who are interested over to Two Harbors to buy fishing licenses. I'm sure we'd get volunteers to take them out into the houses for a while."

"And we have lots of spare gear for the snowmobiles and ATV's. I'll get it going," she said.

"One more thing, baby. I'd like us to give each of the people who came to help a cash gift, wolf or human. It could help cover their travel expenses and be a nice thank-you to them for coming. We have plenty of cash in the bags," I said. "If we tell them it was taken from the Sons, so much the better."

partwolf
partwolf
2,300 Followers