Buried Treasure Ch. 96-101

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked over at Alpha Coral. "As if the history of my Pack wasn't enough, my dealings with other Packs and the Council were frightening. Multiple abduction attempts occurred while I was with my mother and my Club, attempts in which friends were injured or threatened. I ended up in a psychiatric hospital in Seattle, where I met my mate Chase, who was an intern. When I was released, I still didn't know who and what I was. I didn't know that the chase that almost killed me in Seattle was meant to bring me into the fold."

I could see the emotions of the Alphas, who knew of my story, but not from my perspective. "My parents and the Club hid me in a cabin; we were on a hike when a bear attacked us. I shifted, driving the bear away from my family, but at a cost. I was injured badly by her claws, and Chase was called to help. He brought his Pack doctors, and they stitched me up. My mother and stepfather saw me change, but they weren't afraid of me; they knew me and loved me for whatever I was. I would never hurt them, and they would never hurt me or tell my secret."

Chase picked up the story. "My father, the Alpha of the Cascade Pack, reacted the way you would expect him to. He was raised with the laws of the old days when werewolves and humans rarely mixed. He demanded that Rori's parents be killed, when they had done nothing to deserve it, and he wanted my mate punished for rules she didn't know existed. Her wolf was completely detached from her human side; facing the bear was the first time they had coexisted in her mind. She was my mate, and I wasn't going to see her hurt. We mated and claimed her birthright as Alpha of a reborn Arrowhead Pack."

"That was not without its struggles," I said. "Alpha Coral represented us with the Council while I recovered from the bear attack. Instead of being happy that I survived, the Council arrested my Beta and tried to strong-arm us into submission. We had to fight for our land and our Pack, against a corrupt Council and their allies, who wanted power and money."

"Surely you can't blame this Council for the sins of those who have been removed and punished for what they did," Councilman Baronsky asked.

"I do not blame the current Council, sir. I give this background to explain my actions. The majority of my interactions with the Werewolf Council and the Alphas have been negative; unlike many of you, I don't assume them to be good or acting in my interests. My mate understands more of our culture, but his faith in government has been shaken by what he has seen and endured."

"Still, your Pack joined the Council, and you vowed to follow our laws," Councilman Kirk said. "You cannot pick and choose which laws you will follow and which you ignore. We cannot have anarchy," he said smugly.

"We cannot have idiocy either," I replied. There was an outcry, both from in front and the gallery behind me, as what I said registered.

Councilman Millner half stood, pointing his finger at me. "You will RESPECT this Council and its decisions," he said as he shook in outrage.

I waited until he sat down, refusing to let him bait me into losing my cool. "I do not mean disrespect, Councilman. My argument is a logical one, informed by my upbringing which was quite different than yours. My father was a Captain in the Minnesota State Patrol; his wife was an Emergency Room nurse. They saw humanity at its worst and its best; they raised me to understand right and wrong from the human perspective. It is THIS world that you must understand and live in, because it is no longer possible to live apart from it. The rules you lived by when you ruled as Alpha will not continue to work now," I said evenly.

"Explain," Chairman Coffey said.

"If I may," Chase said. "Let us use the example of DEA Director Frank Grimes, and the failure to immediately kill him for which we are here now. Frank Grimes has been nothing but honest and forthright in his dealings with us. In Orlando, he worked with me to defuse a costly war between gangs that would have harmed our friends. Frank kept my identity secret as he used my information to take down the Sons of Tezcatlipoca, a violent gang of jaguar shifters and humans, even at the cost of his job. As a guest at my home, he fought to protect my family and was injured. The exposure came in the heat of battle, yet he never exposed us to the law enforcement that arrived. He trusted me and I trusted him."

"He never should have been there in the first place," Alpha Kirk said. "You risk too much when you bring humans into your home. Exposure is inevitable with time," he said smugly.

"I fully agree with your last statement, Alpha," I said. "Exposure IS inevitable. Think about the world we have now. Humans have aircraft, satellites, trail cameras, night vision cameras, drones, facial recognition technology, computers, and DNA testing. There is NO place in the world for werewolves to hide safely from the world around them, nor should we want to. We can live among them, in harmony and for mutual benefit, provided we don't run afoul of THEIR laws. Humans will react badly to what they don't understand if they consider it a threat."

I let Chase continue. "So, we have our loyal friend Frank who has done nothing to deserve death, except he saw a person change. Under the law, we should have killed him immediately, especially since the Chairman has already warned us that no more Trusted Agents would be allowed." The Council nodded. "911 had already been called, and Agent Grimes had identified himself. He was a guest in my home, which by tradition meant he was under my protection. If I kill him, there's no way to hide it. Police arrived a short time later, and we could not even hide the evidence of the ones that shifted to protect us. Imagine the shit storm that would descend on us if we were suspected of gunning down a DEA Director."

I looked at the Council as I sat forward. "We had very little time to decide, and we made the decision we could live with. Frank Grimes isn't our enemy. He's an asset to my Pack, and to the Council."

"I'm not so sure about that," Councilman Nemmers said. "The last time he was with us, he nearly died."

"And his werewolf friends saved his life. Frank understands your fear of humans and doesn't hold the actions of one dead man against the rest of us." I paused for a second. "Now we have an ally with contacts high in Government, instead of a missing man who would be the subject of an intense investigation. The deal we made because of Frank stopped our secrets from coming out. How many of you have questionable business dealings, insurance fraud, identity theft, or other crimes?" I looked at Alpha Long, knowing the Bitterroot Pack's history with humans. "What happens if your existence comes out the wrong way, and people start questioning the disappearances of women in the area? The past Alphas would kidnap and impregnate women, then kill them and bury them in the woods. Have none of you watched CSI, or any true-crime TV shows? How long would you withstand scrutiny if the FBI shows up with cadaver dogs, ground-penetrating radar, and satellite surveys?"

"They wouldn't DARE," he said.

"You have hundreds of bodies and no explanations," I told him. "By the time they are done with you, all of you will be in prison. Or you fight, and they kill you. We cannot allow our traditions to get in the way of our survival."

"So you would what? Throw our lives open to them?"

"If done in the right way, I would consider it. It is better to expose ourselves in a planned way than to be exposed in a bad way. When it happens, we will need our human friends to stand with us and vouch for us. I have hundreds of them, a select few who are Trusted Agents and already know my secret. And do you know what?" I looked back at the room before turning to the Council. "Four of those women knew what I was before I did. They didn't expose me or take advantage of me; they protected and helped me. They showed more loyalty to me than I've seen from my kind. Yet with all they have proven, I sent them away while you are here."

"Your humans are not here?" The Chairman looked shocked.

"Of course not. I sent my parents and my human friends into hiding. I told them I didn't want to know where they went, and they were not to contact me. I sent more than them, though." I looked at each of the Council members. "I sent my CHILDREN with them. In a sad state of affairs, I trust humans with my babies more than werewolves. "

"Your children are not in danger from us," the Chairman said dismissively.

I laughed. "My dead Pack members would argue that. So would the dead Alpha and his Betas who wanted to kidnap and rape me when I was sixteen. Can't you understand my hesitancy to trust you knowing my past? I didn't know how this trial would go, and I still don't. If I die, the last thing I would allow is for my children to be taken by men with power and money on their minds. Kill me, and the Blessed line will end."

"Your daughter is still alive," Millner said.

"My daughter will never see or mate another werewolf," I promised. "More than that, do you remember the Council meeting where you voted to arrest me and imprisoned my Beta? Do you remember what I threatened that day?"

Councilman Baronsky nodded. "A video and documentation of what we are, and who we are, including names and locations. A dangerous gambit, but one you played well."

"It wasn't a gambit. The video and documentation is out there, and it's double-blind. I don't know who has it, and the person who has it doesn't know what it is. Nothing has changed; if I die, it goes to the press, and Luna help you all then."

Councilman Millner shot to his feet, his chair skidding into the wall behind him. "YOU DARE THREATEN US?"

"I'm informing you," I said evenly. "It's my little insurance policy of Mutual Assured Destruction."

There was an outcry in the room, and the Chairman had to gavel the proceedings back to order. "The audience is cautioned to remain quiet and respectful. Alphas, command your members." He waited for them to give the orders over the Pack links. "I have a question, Alpha King. I understand you do not like the rules as they are now, but surely you want some limits on human interaction and knowledge? As you say, the more people know, the more inevitable our exposure is."

"Zero tolerance laws don't work because they are zero intelligence; there is no allowance for circumstance, character or relationship. Human membership should be like we treat applicants to our Pack; we evaluate how they would fit in and contribute to the overall good. Frank is a perfect example, and there are others I would add without hesitation if I could."

"I can't believe what I've just heard," Alpha Kirk said. "To summarize: our laws are stupid, I openly defied you and will do so again, and if you do what the law requires, I'll ensure you're all killed in return. Killing her is too easy; she should be imprisoned and forced to reproduce, with the children adopted out to the Packs to help with our population. At least then, we would get the benefit of the blessing, without the risk this reckless she-wolf brings."

My look could have flash-frozen water at fifty feet. I slowly stood, my claws extending and denting the heavy oak table as I fought to restrain the change. "Our Goddess Luna would never allow that, nor would I," I said quietly.

"Oh, so now you speak for the Goddess? Do you hand out her blessings and curses now," he continued.

"Alpha Kirk, how many females of breeding age are in your Pack?"

"Forty-two," he said proudly.

"And how many children under eighteen are in your Pack?"

"Two," he said.

"Two." I shook my head, looking at him. "And neither of them are yours; in fact, you and your mate have not produced an heir in thirty years of mated life."

His face reddened at the implication. "It is not uncommon for us, we all know how difficult it is to get pregnant as werewolves."

"So you would agree that pregnancy is a blessing from Luna?"

"Of course," he said.

I just smirked. "My Pack has fewer females than you, yet we have four children right now. Add in that I am pregnant, no shock there, but so are three other females in my Pack." I linked with Coral, Sawyer and Michael, making sure it was all right. "My aunt, Luna Margaret, is pregnant. So is Ashley Nygaard. Alpha Coral has a young baby at home. Add in the members of our Pack who are finding themselves pregnant, and we have a real baby boom coming. So yes, Alpha Kirk, children ARE a blessing from Luna, and Luna is blessing those who are on my side of this."

Ch. 99

Heather Rhodes' POV
I-80 in Nebraska

It was near dinnertime, and we had been driving since before midnight. In our hurry to get away from Minnesota, we stopped only to get gas, food, and to use the bathrooms. The big vehicle was comfortable, and we had been rotating driving, shotgun, and sleeping in the backseat. I was driving now, and I was starving. "Are we going to stop for food," I asked Roadkill as I saw the signs for places to eat in Grand Island.

"I think it's time we stop for the night, the babies need to have some time out of their car seats," he said from the back seat.

"That sounds like a decent place," Possum said as she read the sign. I put on my blinker well before the exit, making sure the SUV behind me in our little convoy got the idea. We exited and drove a few blocks to Joy's Place Steak and Pasta, parking in the lot. I took the keys out and handed the to Roadkill before stepping out into the cold and snow. "I could eat half a cow," Possum said as she came around the back.

"I'll take the rest," Roadkill said as he took her hand in his.

I stretched before opening the back door of the second SUV. "How are the babies doing," I asked.

"They don't like travel much," Laura said as she got out of the passenger seat. "At least they are sleeping now." Her husband, Brent, walked in with Possum and Roadkill as I took Cheryl in her car seat, covered by a blanket. Brenda got out, and Zoe handed over baby Mark to her before she followed. We walked inside as Laura stayed behind us, alert and with a hand in her pocket. Brent held the door open for us as we walked in, and my stomach growled with the smell. Fast food and gas station snacks didn't compare to corn-fed beef and pasta.

The hostess led us to a large round table in the back, and the car seats put on each side of the nanny's chairs. I didn't miss how Brent was next to Cheryl, and Laura was on the other side next to Mark. I'd asked about it after the first few stops, and knew why they were here. They would protect me, but their primary job was to protect Rori and Chase's babies. The nannies would care for them, but they weren't trained bodyguards like the couple was. I took a seat next to Laura; I wanted to find out more about her. She was beautiful and deadly, just like I wanted to be.

The food was good, and in between bites, I learned more about Laura's background and training. She had been born into a family of warriors, but her older brother was nineteen years older than her. She learned to shoot pistols at eight, rifles at nine, and hand-to-hand combat at twelve. "You didn't spend your teen years on makeup and boys," I guessed.

"Only to cover the bruises from sparring," she said with a smile. "I was raised to project strength because I would not allow weakness in my body or mind."

"Didn't that make you an outcast?"

"Not In the small town where I grew up. The Canadian Rockies are for the strong, and men and women need to be fierce to survive. Nothing is a given; your reputation is what you make it."

She was right; I had a new name, a new life, and right now, my reputation was shit. I was a whiny, injured, helpless teen who wasn't good enough for a fighter like Greg. That was why they sent him away; to keep us apart until he came to his senses. I was a Club Princess, and he deserved a fierce partner like Laura, not me. "What kind of fighting do you do?"

"Mixed martial, it allows me to combine disciplines," she said. "I learn everything; I know boxing, wrestling, karate, taekwondo, Krav Maga, and some Brazilian Jujitsu. I also compete in three-gun competitions locally to stay sharp." Three-gun was pistol, rifle, and shotgun; I'd seen a little, and it looked like fun. "Have you fought before?"

I couldn't believe she hadn't heard about my background; then again, I was injured and needed a bodyguard. "In my past life, I was an Under-18 state champion in Judo in my weight class," I said. "I haven't worked on it since getting shot. I'm only now able to start running and lifting again."

"You should train with us," she said with a smile. "I love fighting specialists because they can teach me new techniques. We can teach you how to defend yourself with your hands, knives, and guns."

"You fight your husband?" I looked across the table at him; Laura was athletic and fit, but Brent was a good eight inches taller and almost twice her weight.

"We don't just wrestle under the sheets, but that's the only place I let him pin me," she said in a whisper.

I blushed as she laughed, and somehow Brent must have heard. "She's not an easy opponent for anyone, regardless of size. I found that out when I met her."

"Oh, this story I have to hear," I said.

"I was in Winnepeg, at an underground fight club. I was there with a few friends because we had to drive a thousand miles to get away from my reputation and get better odds," she said with a grin. "I'd just dispatched the only woman who would fight me, but the odds were shit. I yelled out that I'd fight anyone, male or female, who had the guts to get in the ring with me."

"I was in the locker room with my buddy Tony, who was in the main fight," Brent said. "The owner came in and said this hot chick was challenging anyone, and the bitch needed to learn her place. He offered $500 for the fight, and I took him up on it." He smiled at Laura as he told the story. "I quickly changed and went out to the cage, only to see the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen in the other corner. It was love at first sight."

"You fought each other for a first date," I said as I almost choked on my T-bone.

"I kicked his ass," Laura said with a smile. "I needed the money bad. I had to win, even if all I wanted to do was kiss him and take him home. He didn't even throw a punch! All he wanted to do was wrestle with me."

"Still all I want to do," he added with a laugh.

"I knocked him down with a spinning heel kick, then choked him out. After I changed and collected my prize money, I waited for him outside the locker room. My friends went home without me; we got married the next weekend. Eight years now and going strong."

It was a great story and a great meal. There was a storm coming over the Rockies, so we ended up staying in a mom and pop motel for a day as we waited it out. When we arrived in Las Vegas, we unloaded Roadkill's Harley and waited for him to talk to Aces. Nobody was surprised when two Harleys returned to where we were parked. Bunny was off the motorcycle before it parked, running over and embracing me in a hug as the others watched. "OHMYGODI'MSOGLADYOU'REALIVE," she said in one breath.

"Hi Bunny," I said as I pushed her back enough that my face wasn't pressed down into her ample cleavage. She was a Jessica Rabbit in real life, and in those heels, she towered over me. Aces came over and pulled me into a hug. The big man was crying as Bunny embraced us both. "Thanks for taking us in, President."

"Aces," he said as he let me go. "You're family while you are here. I miss your parents every day."

"The Club will be around for protection if we call, but we won't be staying at the Clubhouse," Roadkill said.

"I've got a little place outside town I'll be putting you up in," Aces said. "It's isolated and owned by one of my real estate investment companies. Only the Club Officers and their Old Ladies will know who you are and why you are here."