Burn Baby Burn Pt. 01

Story Info
Cheating, retribution, windfall and new love...oh my.
6.6k words
4.55
25.5k
54
17

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 07/24/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Dyspneiic
Dyspneiic
300 Followers

Hello again. I have to confess that I may have (scratch that—definitely) tainted myself in the opinions of many with my first submission "Cheater Cheater." This was evidenced by the volume of harsh comments I received from a lot of folks who really didn't care for the darkness. Truth be told that story was more of an ill inspired act of desperation on my part, to get something accepted and published on this site. Sad right? Hey, it got posted, even if for only 2 days before getting pulled. Here's hoping that my first story is my worst story. Still, I did appreciate the volume of high praise I received from many of you—as well as my first 60 followers!

The following story is more "me" and was rejected several times well before "CC" made it in. This story will be submitted under Romance even though it has themes of BTB, LW and revenge, redemption, etc. But by the time you finish it I hope you will agree it is more of a romance. Maybe I should have shortened it, but as I wrote the story it just kept opening up new avenues for me to follow. If that is not your bag, sorry.

There are no heavy sex scenes early on, but they do happen I promise. My primary objective was to create a story that switched gears and offered a few twists along the way. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy it.

I appreciate the comments—even the negative ones, so long as they validate the readers concerns with an explanation.

Exhibit A - This is a work of fiction. It is just a story. My characters, plots, story lines, etc. are all creations from the depth of my imagination and are craft solely to entertain. I am not a Lawyer, Accountant, Stockbroker, Mechanic, Private Eye, and so on. If the courtroom scenes stray too far from reality for some, feel free to leave toxic comments. I just refer you to Exhibit A. Same with every other part of the story.

Chadwick Spencer Hartley—Husband

Molly Ann Ruston-Hartley—Wife

Bethany Jordan Hartley—Oldest child

William (Billy) Radcliff Hartley—Middle child

Bobby Joseph Hartley -Youngest child

Frank Discarsio—Widowed husband to Florence

Florence Ruston-Discarsio—Deceased younger sister to Molly

Otis (Oty) Strickland—Chad's friend

Beulah Strickland—Otis' wife

Mathew Skivers—CPA and Chad's buddy

Paul Bradley—divorce attorney

Jennifer Bradley—Paul's wife and partner

Jessica Bradley—Jen's (twin?) sister

Helen Dillard—Child counselor

Genevieve Guidry—Bobby's Tutor

Chapter One

It was almost 7pm when Chad pulled into his driveway completing the long trip from the oil fields in just under 7 hours. He could've made it sooner in the wife's Rogue (which was made for highway cruising), but he was stuck with the old RAM 2500 (which wasn't). 7 hours of boredom, broken by intermittent runs of good music and monotonous commercial interjections and bland PSAs, "Lottery officials remain baffled by the single remaining winning ticket that has gone unclaimed since last month's record drawing." Yeah, if only, right? As far as jobs went it wasn't a bad gig. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Plenty of OT for the taking. In fact, he had stayed 5 days over into his off time to add a nice bonus to his next check. So, he only had 8 more days off to enjoy with the family, before making the long drive back.

It was mid-July so there was still plenty of daylight left. He sat behind the wheel for a few more minutes absorbing the quiet. Why was it so quiet? By now Bobby should've been out the front door racing over to the truck to greet him, followed eagerly by Gunner, his ever faithful and loving rottweiler. Opening the truck door his ears picked out the urgent barking from the latter—still inside. With a weary grunt he pulled his tired body from the rig and grabbed his duffle before heading in. He didn't bother to open the garage to see if Molly's Nissan were there. His truck wouldn't fit beside it anyways.

The front door was locked suggesting that the rest of the family was out. Keying the bolt, he braced himself and pushed open the door. As expected, Gunner about took him out in his eagerness to greet him. "Hey bud! Damn! Oof! It's good to see you too old boy!" He staggered into the entry way and set down his duffle so he could use both hands to hug, pet, and wrestle with the hyper animal. "Where's everyone at, eh?" He looked around the great room for any clues. Seeing none he wandered into the kitchen and dining area. Grabbing a beer from the fridge he popped it and drank half in three swallows.

Curiously, he wandered about the level and even called upstairs. It was odd that nobody was home. No messages were flashing on the land line. He had turned on his cell once he got back into a coverage area and only had two messages from the previous week. One was from Molly reminding him of Billy's 18th birthday this week. And Otis had called to ask him to swing by the garage when he was back in town. Looking around as he polished off the beer, he saw no notes or indications of where his family might have gone off too. He could've called her cell phone, but his fatigue overrode his curiosity. So he dumped his duffle in the laundry room, removed the small box from inside and kicked off his work boots before climbing the stairs to the master bedroom.

He found the bed neatly made and everything as it should be, reassuring him that all would be sorted eventually. He sat on the bed, tugged off his dirty t shirt and placed the small box atop the nightstand before he lay back for a brief siesta.

***

Chadwick Hartley was 37 years old, exactly 6 months older than his wife of 18 years. He was an only child who grew up on a farm learning at an early age, the value of long days and hard work. School seemed like a vacation that broke up the early hours and late evenings. By age twelve he stood 6 feet and weighed 200 pounds, not an ounce of loose skin on his body. By his senior year he added 5 more inches and 45 pounds. Wrestling was a sport he excelled in though he gave it little effort. His dad was a hard sell for the Coaches and counselors, who saw state titles and scholarships (and prestige of course) in young Chad's future. Pop saw harvests and chores that needed done, rarely looking beyond the next season, much less the distant future. Chad's mother, however did consider her son's potential and often swayed her husband to ease up and 'let the boy shine' occasionally. So, the coaches compromised with the parents and Chad competed. He took Varsity and made State three years in a row. While not as popular as many of the football athletes, wrestling did command a strong following in his small Iowa town, and he found himself greeted and praised often.

He was 17 when he met Molly. She was hardly the girl next door and her parents' home schooled her and her younger sister Flo, so she didn't get out much. It was during the County Fair, and he was standing in line for the Tractor pull with his best friend Oty (Otis Strickland). Aside from the light banter he couldn't stop gazing at the striking raven-haired beauty in front of him. She stood 5'9" and from behind he thought she was ravishing. Her hair was done up in a simple ponytail that fell between her shoulder blades, swinging about as if it had a life of its own. A thin white tank top clung tightly to her torso and didn't quite cover her midriff before the tightest pair of daisy dukes took over. Her legs seemed to go on forever before reaching her adorable feet and flip flops. Her skin was darker, olive toned.

His sudden grunt from the sharp jab to his left kidney, made her glance back startled. His own eyes widened and then blinked back tears as Otis made another jab. "Hey Tree! I said—where your mind at? Boy, you still workin that Combine or something?" Otis snickered and then winked at the shy beauty in front of them. "Or something I reckon...." He laughed.

Her crystal blue eyes glanced back at them switching from one to the other. With nervous uncertainty she began turning back to the line in front of her. Chad's elder sidekick was having no of that and smacked his giant friend again. "C'mon Tree! Wake up! Say hi to the lady fer cryin out loud."

Chad grunted irritably and shrugged off the persistent shoves of his buddy. "You'll be lucky to wake up if ya don't knock it off dude." He growled. This prompted the beauty to look back again and up into his startled face. She smiled weakly before looking back down and their feet.

"I'm real sorry about him Ma'am." Otis grinned at her. His white teeth contrasted sharply with his black skin, but his eyes glinted with raw humor. "Y'see? Tree here...he got the social graces of an Ox and when it come to the fairer sex well...he be a work in progress." Caught up in his own wit he laughed gayly and shook his head knowingly. With a giggle she glanced up again at his stricken face.

Chad envisioned a stunning yet mysterious gypsy fortune teller when he gazed down at her in wonder. His face flushed and she looked away nervously. "Wh—why do you call him Tree?" She asked his skinny black friend sheepishly.

Otis cackled. "Hah! That's just one of old Chad-boys nicknames. Just look at him. On the wrestling mat Tree is known and feared across State lines. We also refer to him as 'blackout' cause that's the last thing most see whenever they go up against him."

After an awkward pause Otis once again jabbed his friend painfully in the back, prompting another curse. "Tree! Say 'Hi' to the lady!" he urged patiently.

"Um. Hi" Chad stammered nervously, looking anywhere but her eyes.

"Hi..." She mumbled back nervously. She glanced back up at his face and was disappointed that he wouldn't look at her.

"This is Chad." Otis introduced as he placed a disproportionately large hand upon his friend's shoulder. "Chadwick Presley Hartley." He grinned at her mischievously. "And you, sweetness must go by something other than Ms. Gypsy Goddess..."

She blushed brightly at his remark. Chad glared at him like he was ready to defend her honor with bodily harm.

"Uh... Molly." She stammered. "My name is Molly...Molly Ruston."

"Whew!!!" Otis wiped his forehead with exasperation. "That was dang painful." He skipped away from Chad's swiping hand and shoved him forward in line. "Well then. Ms. Molly meet Chad." He stepped back with a grin as his giant friend poised to swing at him. "Y'all hold my spot and save me a seat. I need a smoke." And with a laugh he disappeared.

If his first impression suggested a quietly reserved and soft-spoken beauty who made his heart flutter with a touch, he learned very soon how wrong he was. The beauty remained (and even grew over time) as did her effect on him. But her true personality quickly became apparent after she became comfortable with their budding relationship. To say she was a firecracker was to compare a light bulb to the sun. Their attraction was immediate and intense. Her parents seemed more conservative and weren't at all keen with their daughter's absolute infatuation with a boy whose only prospects were farming and wrestling. The latter became less likely as Chad found himself more concerned about their budding romance than his practice sessions.

By graduation he had decided that neither farming nor wrestling appealed to him. He wanted a family with Molly and the means to sustain it. So, he turned to the only other counselor in high school he respected—the Navy Recruiter.

***

He awoke to Gunner suddenly perking up and jumping off the bed with a grumble. Chad glanced over sleepily to see his docked nubbin start wagging excitedly. Then he heard (or felt) the soft rumble as the garage door activated. An excited woof dispelled any further attempt at sleep as the energized rotty sprang out of the room and thundered down the stairs. By the time he sat up and rubbed his tired face with it 3 days of growth, he heard the telltale thud of the front door bursting open.

"Whoopy! Dad's home!" He heard his youngest cry, quickly followed by the hurried stomping as he flew up the stairs, raced into the master bedroom and launched himself into Chad's waiting arms. "Daddy!" Gunner burst back into the room with another explosive bark, then turned and bolted back downstairs to observe the other goings on.

"Thanks Bobby! We'll just unload the car without you." The voice of his sister Bethany grumbled from downstairs.

"How ya doin Sport?" Chad grinned as he tousled the 12-year old's light blonde (almost white) hair. Jeez he seemed to grow every time he saw him. Hardly the robust stature of his siblings, he would never grow that big—but he was getting taller fast.

"You said you got me something cool from the oil fields!" Bobby reminded him eagerly. "What is it? Can I have it?"

"In a bit boy." Chad laughed. "Let's go down and help out." Bobby slid from his lap dejectedly as he rose. "Where've y'all been anyhow?"

"Uncle Frank's...as usual." The boy moaned as he looked at the floor and drug his feet across the carpet.

Chad frowned. He wasn't sure why, but he found little comfort in Molly always spending so much time with her late sister's husband. He put it out of his mind as he descended the steps and found the rest of his family carrying a menagerie of sacks, bags, and bundles into the house. William (17) and Beth (18) set down their loads without even acknowledging him and headed back out the front door as Molly entered holding her purse and a small rolling suitcase. She looked over and glared at the two of them as they came into the main room.

"Robert Joseph! Would you PLEASE go outside and help your brother and sister unload the car?" She snapped.

"Yes ma'am." He grumbled and he moped outside.

Molly shook her head and rolled her eyes and she marched into the kitchen.

"Well at least someone in the family seems excited to see me." Chad stated as he followed behind her.

She paused at the island and turned slowly back to him. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

His eye widened with disbelief as he glared back at her. 'So, this was how it's gonna be?' He sighed and shook his head, shrugging his shoulders in defeat. "Hello? It's your husband...I'm home...after nearly 3 weeks!" He retorted with disgust.

Molly blew a sharp breath through pursed lips and collected herself before replying. "I'm sorry honey." She began with an earnest tone. "I'm just tired, it's been a long day and it's not easy raising 3 children on your own most of the time." Her expression quickly shifted from earnest to defensive. She turned away from him and began putting groceries away. Slamming items about with more force than was necessary.

Chad stared at her back for several minutes. He then turned away bewildered at her outburst and the overall cold reception. 'Who lit the wick on her tampon?' He wandered into the main room and looked at his 3 kids as they sorted through their items. "How about you?" He asked the older two. "Any love for your old man?"

Billy snorted and headed up to his room with his arms loaded. "Whatever Dad."

Bethany wasn't quite so cold as she kissed his cheek in greeting. "Hi Daddy." Then she was on the way to her own room with several bags.

With a heavy sigh Chad joined Bobby (and Gunner) on the couch. He looked over and caught the fake smile and shrugged shoulder of the boy, as he raised both hands to express his bewilderment. With a grunt he shook his head and put his arm around his son. "So, what did y'all do over at Uncles?"

Bobby raised and lowered his shoulders again. "The usual, shopped, went to the water park, went to the movies, ate out at restaurants, pretty boring really. Why were you gone so long this time?"

"They needed another pipefitter and they paid me double time and a half. How long did you stay at Uncles?" He pushed.

"Since Friday night." Today was Wednesday. "Are we gonna go camping this weekend like you said?"

"Hell Yeah!" He fist-bumped his son. "You excited?"

Bobby's response was interrupted by his wife's voice in the kitchen.

"Chad, could you come in here for a minute please?"

With a grimace he got to his feet and stepped forward. 'Oh, fucking joy!'

Molly was standing with her back to the sink, staring at the floor when he entered. She glanced up at him as he approached and frowned deeply. "About the camping trip. Honey, I know you've been talking about it for a while now and it's something you've been looking forward to. But with Billy's birthday tomorrow and us just getting back from a long weekend..." She left it hanging in the air in front of him, waiting for his usual surrender and acceptance.

'Fuck this!' He clenched his teeth together angrily as he tried to swallow the urge to snap. She looked him nervously as his face darkened and his hands curled into fists the size of cantaloupes. She shuddered in apprehension realizing she may have pushed him too far.

Stammering she tried to soften her position. "Baby, can't we just maybe put it off until the next weekend your back? I'm sure Billy and Bethany would be okay with..."

"Okay with WHAT?" He bellowed. His outburst was louder than he intended, and Gunner leapt from the couch growling as he peered into the kitchen. "What exactly are Billy and Beth NOT okay with right now?" He continued. His anger was getting the better of him this time and he didn't try very hard to contain it. "It seems y'all once again decided against me without even giving me a chance!"

Molly gasped at his outburst and stepped back fearfully. "Baby please..."

"Please what? I didn't ask you to go spend the week with your Brother-in-Law. I thought we had all agreed on this weeks ago?" He closed his clenched his jaw tight again and turned to the fridge where he retrieved another beer and popped it open angrily. He drank half of it in a single gulp trying to settle his ire.

"I know. I know." She pleaded. "It's just that you were gone for so long." She raised a hand toward him in a calming gesture. "I know I told you to go ahead and take the over time when you mentioned it. I wasn't considering how long you would be gone and how hard it gets without you here."

His silence encouraged her. "Frank has been having a rough time lately. You know it was 3 years ago this week that it happened right?"

'And there it was. The Coup d'état. Check Mate.' How do you compete with the poor dead sister? He finished his beer, crushed the can one-handed and tossed it angrily into the garbage. With a snort of disgust, he turned away.

"Fine I'll take Bobby and Oty."

***

The story of Florence Ruston-Discarsio was a tragedy that wrenched the hearts of everyone who watched the news 3 years ago. Death in childbirth due to the mismanagement of her doctors, who failed to recognize the crisis before it was too late. If she had ruptured at home, it would have been equally tragic but far less newsworthy. But she had already been admitted for observation on the orders of her obstetrician and it was under the care of his team that she suddenly seized and went into cardiac arrest. At 29 weeks she was a candidate for emergency C-section, but the procedure was delayed as they attempted to resuscitate her. The baby was lost in utero despite efforts to retrieve it from the dead mother.

Denying any malpractice, the hospital quickly circled the wagons—declaring she had suffered an adverse reaction to the medication used to temporarily suppress her contractions. This was true in part and was independently verified by an external review. But it was also discovered that her adverse reaction was actually due to her receiving 10 times the ordered dose, not once but twice. Video was captured of the RN retrieving and drawing up the nifedipine on both occasions. This was the nail in the coffin for the legal defense team and a settlement was awarded for an undisclosed amount, to the late husband Frank Discarsio.

Dyspneiic
Dyspneiic
300 Followers
12