By the Pale Moonlight Ch. 05

Story Info
James investigates Tara's disappearance.
5.7k words
4.63
7.4k
18

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 04/12/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The motorcycle sputtered to a stop. He set his feet down and slowly coasted into an empty parking space near the side walk. He raised his arms up and cracked his knuckles. Looking up he noticed specks of dried blood caked into the crevices. It seemed he forgot to wash his hands before he left.

It was just after midnight, James was sore and stiff. He had been driving, nonstop, for over two hours attempting to get to the university before that girl got herself into even more trouble. He had never met an aware human who was so reckless and thoughtless. He had met her once and she was already causing him more stress than any other woman in his entire life.

James wondered to himself why he was so infatuated with her. Yes, the curiosity of her blood was significant to him, but it seemed like there was more to it. Every time he thought of her, his pulse quickened. It could be the mystery she presented. It had been a few years since he had come upon a truly difficult challenge.

Yet, if he was just interested in her blood he could force an answer out of her. For some reason, he was fearful that he would scare her away. He knew practically nothing about the girl, yet all he could think of was sparing her from any more pain. No woman had made him feel that way before.

He stood up and stretched out the rest of his body before turning to look at the large stone building that was Debora Millers office.

As much as James would like to keep Debora Miller out of his personal business, she was the only one with information on what happened to Tara. He tossed his keys into his pocket and walked around to the main entrance.

The building was dark, with the exception of a few small emergency lights. He walked inside and pushed the up button, calling the elevator. It immediately 'dinged' and opened its doors wide. James walked in and banged the number 4. He stood in silence, listening to the whir of the metal rope slowly pulling the elevator up.

The elevator sounded again as he reached the top floor, he walked out and down the dim hallway until he reached the door of Debora Miller. He knocked twice and stood waiting.

"Hold on one minute! I'll be there in a second" James heard papers shuffling and objects being moved around quickly. He heard her hurry over to the door and open it. She looked disorganized, her hair was falling out of its braid and her makeup seemed old and nearly worn away. This was very unusual for Debora. "I'm sorry I kept you waiting so long, come in please."

She stepped to the side and motioned him into a chair. He stepped in and immediately smelled Tara. He sat down and looked into a trash bin next to the desk; There were bloody pieces of gauze.

"Miss Miller..."

"Oh, Mr. Lupus, I've told you a thousand times to call me Deb." The small woman closed the door, locked it, and rushed back over to her chair.

"Yes, anyways..." He cleared his throat attempting to rid the mystifying smell from his nostrils. "You mentioned on the phone about some... incident involving Tara. Can you explain to me exactly what happened?"

"Yes, well, Tara ran to me very frightened and covered in blood. Apparently, she was doing laundry and cut her hand. The blood attracted the attention of a Vampire that was in the room with her. We determined through her description that it was an Eater. She said that it started transforming and when she became paralyzed she could see the magic that was coming out of the creature. Have you ever heard of something like that?"

"No, never..." James had heard of something like that before, though not in many, many years. "Take me to this laundry room, I want to see the beast."

-=-=--=

Walking out of the building James took a deep breath, he could smell slight traces of where Tara had come from, though the lingering rain had worn away most of her scent.

"It's this way, James" He looked down at Debora and caught her gaze. She cleared her throat and smoothed her jacket down. "Mr. Lupus, it's just straight across the campus, it should only be a few minutes' walk."

She started walking and James, chuckling to himself, followed behind her. He never got tired of that reaction.

It was dark and cold. Small raindrops misted down from the sky dampening everything they touched. The campus was empty and quiet, the only sounds heard were the hiss of the wind and the tattering of leaves across the ground.

They reached the dorm and walked through the glass doors over to the elevator. The building seemed fairly old and worn inside, as if they had no desire to keep up with regular maintenance.

"All of these old dorms have laundry rooms in the subbasement." She pushed the down button and waited for the doors to open. They walked in and pushed the "S" button, sending them down two floors. The elevator was old and rusty. It creaked and shook with every inch they passed. James noted that Debora looked unnerved being in the small metal box.

"Do you know which room is Tara's?" James asked, attempting to ease the old woman's nerves. "We may want to check her room afterword's to see if she's there."

"No, I honestly have no idea. I only just became close with the girl after all of this started. I could call a woman I know in housing. She does owe me a favor" It appeared that Debora was not as close to Tara as she made it seem. He would have to call Cane and get the information.

"I would rather not involve anyone else in this, if you don't mind." James was annoyed enough that he had to involve the human doctor.

Debora Miller had, somehow after years of poking around, managed to get into contact with Gideon. He had met with her once or twice, that James knew of, before his death. James met with the woman, out of obligation, after taking on Gideon's duties. He felt it was a bad idea to put trust in a human, but Gideon believed the Human doctor could be the final stepping stone for mutual acceptance. Although, it seemed that in the end, not everyone agreed with Gideon's vision of harmony between the species.

The elevator chimed again then opened its doors. Blood immediately assaulted James' senses.

"What's wrong?" Debora looked at him as he quickly walked across the hallway and into the laundry room. There were large scratches on the walls; half of the machines were dented or completely broken apart, some even thrown halfway across the room. Their damaged hoses leaking water all over the floor.

"Someone else got here before us." James trudged through the wet floor towards the far wall. A girl was lying in a heap of broken wood, once belonging to a table. Her eyes were open staring dryly at the ceiling, blood pooled around them leaving unpleasant tear streaks down her porcelain face. Her nose was slits and her mouth was broken open; her jaw undoubtedly shattered to pieces. Dried white foam was caked into the corners of her mouth.

James walked over to her and carefully pushed on her chest, a sickening crack echoed through the room. Debora flinched at the sound and turned away from the beast. He continued around her body, pressing his fingers into her arms, legs, stomach and face. Her bones were brittle, as if every last drop of marrow had been sucked out of them.

Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz

James wiped his hand off on his pants and standing up pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Cane" appeared on the screen.

"Cane, good timing I need..." He was interrupted by Cane.

"Sir, I just received news of an attack on a Were- bar in our territory. It sounds like a group of Vampires attacked less than an hour ago."

"Can you take care of it, Cane, I have a bit of a situation on my hands at the moment."

"Actually, sir, the bar is only a few blocks away from where you are..." Cane stopped, James could hear him take a deep breath.

"What else, Cain... What aren't you telling me"

"The Wear who called it in said that a strange smelling human covered in blood went into the bar just before the Vampires showed up..."

That stupid girl, she doesn't even have to look for trouble; It simply finds her.

"Cane."

"Yes, sir?"

"I need you to contact someone in the area to take care of an Eaters body before the humans come upon it. It's in the laundry room of Tara's dorm, you remember the address, correct?"

"Of course sir...and the Were-bar?" Cane asked already knowing the answer.

"I'll take care of it." James hung up and walked back towards the elevator.

"Jam... Mr. Lupus, where are you going?" Debora walked slowly behind him.

"Stay outside of this door and make sure no students wander in." James pressed the button calling the elevator. "Someone should be here soon to take care of the body and get rid of all the evidence. They'll escort you to your car. Go straight home."

The elevator dinged open. James stepped inside and pressed the button for the main lobby.

"But where are you going?" Debora called out to him as the doors closed.

What was she thinking. James signed and pressed his head against the cold metal door. He could feel the gears turning and shaking as he ascended the elevator shaft.

Tara had become aware of the vicious creatures that were hiding in this world. Why would she take this opportunity to sight see in the middle of the night?

The elevator 'chimed' signaling his arrival, he lifted his head up as the doors slid open. James walked out of the lobby and into the rain towards his bike.

There were two Were bars in this area, but only one within walking distance. It was owned by a cougar named Kitty. She was tough as nails and never afraid of a fight, she also just so happened to be one of Gideon's old Betas.

She was the Alpha of her own pack before Gideon's strength and persistence won her over. They merged under his rule, though he kept her in charge. She was more than his Beta, she was his second in command, always by his side. Together they expanded their territory exponentially. She was the start of his extension to include other Were species in his pack.

James reached his bike, he threw his leg over and started up the engine. He hadn't seen Kitty is nearly 30 years. She gave up her leadership long before Gideon's death. No one knew why she had left. Some suggested it was a lovers' quarrel, though there was no proof and neither of them ever owned up to it. He sighed as he revved the engine. Just another seeming coincidental link to Gideon.

He pushed off his feet and sped forward, the bar was a 10-minute drive from here, though he knew he could cut a few minutes off it his time. He accelerated and shot around the corner.

He rode in silence, his mind swam with impossible theories and thoughts that seemed to ridiculous to ever be true.

James stopped quickly, he was so lost in thought he almost went past the bar. He glided to the side and parked his bike on the sidewalk in front. He hopped off and walked towards the front door. The door was hanging off of its hinges with a large dent in the center of it. He could already smell the blood.

James pushed past the large metal door and it fell to the ground with a bang. He looked around at the mess. The tables and chairs were mostly destroyed, blood was splattered on the walls and floor; there seemed almost too much. A vicious fight had gone down there. The glass bottles behind the bar were smashed, as was the dusty mirror behind them.

James stopped, he saw an arm resting on the wall from behind the bar. He walked around the side and looked in. It was an Eater. He was dressed well, though his clothes were ripped and shredded now. His bloodshot eyes were half open and his jaw was cracked to the side. Needless to say he had lost to whomever he was fighting against. James hoped he wasn't about to find Tara's body.

James smelled the blood of another male Wolf. The scent seemed familiar to him, though he couldn't place how he knew it. He turned and looked around; He smelled Tara.

He followed the scent into a back room. A fight had ensued here, as well. A small makeshift kitchen had been tossed about and boxes of alcohol and beer had been destroyed. Liquor and glass littered the floor. He looked around attempting to follow Tara's scent through the overwhelming odor of Vodka. He was led to a door in the corner and upon opening it found an empty bathroom.

He looked around and noticed a wad of black in the trash can, he pushed it around and noted the bloody smell of Tara. It Looked like Kitty was welcoming to her, her blood may have tipped Kitty off to her relation. She knew Gideon better than anyone. She wouldn't have mistaken the smell of his blood.

He closed the door and looked around the room again, he doubted she fled out of the front entrance. He saw another door in the opposite corner; An emergency exit. He walked over and pushed it open. Blood refilled his nostrils; It was overwhelming and fresh. James looked around searching for the source, only to see a heap of raw flesh in the corner of the dead end alley. He recognized the scent.

"Kitty." James whispered. He ran over to her, she was face down and nude. Her body covered in gashes and gouges. He turned her over and pressed his ear against her chest. She was still breathing.

He shifted her carefully and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He quickly dialed Canes number and pressed the phone against his ear.

"It's all right Kitty, I'm here, I've got you." He heard her groan, her face twisted in pain.

"Hey, James. I called Dante he should be there -- "

"Cane send someone to Good Times now. We have a Were badly injured, were behind the bar in the alley."

"Shit" Cane cursed "I've got it, just hold on."

James hung up and put his phone back into his pocket. He pulled Kitty into his lap and looked over her injuries. Her arms and legs were slashed from her opponents' nails. Her face was covered in bruises and sported a fair amount of wounds as well. A large chunk was taken out of her shoulder where an Eater had, undoubtedly, taken a bite.

James reached down and ran his hand across her cheek. Kitty reached up and grabbed it.

"You're a little late for the party, kid." Kitty rasped out between gasps. Her body shook as she coughed. Blood trickled out of the corner of her mouth; James reached down with his other hand and wiped it away.

"Shut your mouth, you old Goat." James smiled and cupped her face. Kitty gasped out a chuckle.

"I have someone coming for you, old girl, just relax."

"If I wasn't so beat, I'd beat you myself." Kitty closed her eyes and gripped James' hand.

"What the hell happened here, Kitty."

"We've been having trouble with a family of Vampires." Kitty had stopped shaking, she spoke slowly, her raspy voice vibrating against James' hand. "Very powerful and very dangerous. Three siblings have had free run of most of this territory, we aren't the only ones with issues."

"Why hasn't anyone told me." Kitty sighed and opened her eyes, emerald gems stared back at him.

"Politics, boy. Their father is Giuseppe Moretti." Kitty gasped and grabbed her shoulder. James shifted her in his lap and pressed his palm against the wound. He had no idea how long she had been bleeding out for.

Giuseppe Moretti.

The Moretti clan was steadily becoming more and more powerful. For nearly two thousand years their family had maintained rule over all of Europe. It was in the last few hundred years, though, that their new leader, Giuseppe, had begun to extend his reach. His lust for power had overwhelmed him.

He had expanded east into Russia and slowly through the Middle East. There were even rumors that he had established ties in Australia. Though the Were community down under was gravely endangered and rarely communicated with the rest of the world. Gideon's last correspondence with them had been with Kitty almost 50 years ago. None of them were willing to join or align with his pack. He told their Alphas that he wouldn't push the issue or harm them in any way, though if they ever needed help he would consider it an honor. It was hard for anyone to dislike Gideon, Anyone except Giuseppe.

Gideon had many battles with Giuseppe over the years. Both were trying to expand their territories, though each for different reasons. Gideon wished to destroy the Were on Were hate. He believed that even though their species were different, they were all related through their human Genes. That belief gained him enemies. There were still many Were who considered Humans an evolutionary design flaw, something only to be used as food or entertainment. Their frail reality needing constant reassurance that they were, in fact, the top predator. The vampires agreed with this. Rival packs had allied with the Vampires to take Gideon out; they couldn't have his power grow any further. It was dangerous to their political games, should he decide to make all humans aware of the truth of their reality.

Giuseppe had gained control of his clan after their old leader was killed. Micholau was old as time. Gossip stated Giuseppe himself had killed him, though no one dared to make a case out of it. If Giuseppe was strong enough to take down an Ancient, what could he do to a regular Vampire or Were?

Giuseppe's reign spiraled human life into squalor. He sent his territory into the dark ages and, over his rule, was accountable for the genocide and death of more human life than could ever be counted. He gave limitless power to dictators and played on the greed of humanity.

Giuseppe was ruthless. He was a power hungry, sadist, who cared for nothing but himself and his five children; Clarice, Giovanni, Bruno, and the twins, Marietta and Marcello. They were all as strong and as merciless as their father. Their presence here must mean they plan to claim a stake in states as well. James wondered If the American Elders had any idea of this.

This was more serious than he thought. The Claire that Tara had killed was Giuseppe's daughter, Clarice. They will be seeking revenge.

"Kitty, a girl came here tonight, she was covered in blood. Were the Vamps. that attacked after her?" Kitty gasped in air and gritted her teeth, a tear of pain ran down her cheek.

"What do you know of that girl, James."

"I know she smells of Gideon. Our dead alpha who had no kin. There's no doubt you could smell it as well. I know this girl shares blood with him, though she has no characteristics of being Were..." James looked down at Kitty, tears now streaming down her face. "You knew about her didn't you. All along you knew Gideon had kin."

"That is not a story for today, child." Kitty snarled out of closed teeth, her face wet with tears.

"Kitty, I am your Alpha. When I ask you a question, you answer me!" James growled down at the injured woman.

"I'm sorry, Hun. I wish I could tell you. My last orders from Gideon were to never speak of Taralyn. As much as I love you, I can't."

"I was under the impression that you had no contact with Gideon after you left..." James stared down at her. Her mouth was pressed into a thin line. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

"James, there are so many things I wish I could say to you. I don't have the ability to speak." She opened her eyes and stared at James, he knew she was telling the truth.

"Can you tell me anything."

"Not directly." Kitty was trying to help him; she could see his desperation. He could see the conflicting desperation in her eyes. He wondered how he could word his questions.

"Why can't you speak about Tara."

"I just can't boy, I told you that." James thought for a second.

"You won't talk about it, or you physically can't." Kitty smiled.

"I can't boy." Kitty was sent into another coughing fit. Her body convulsed against James as he tried to steady her. He had to hurry, she couldn't keep this up for much longer. He begged the Gods, just a little more time.

"What did Gideon do to you..."

"Nothing" Kitty whimpered out, she breathed slowly attempting to steady her breaths.

12